Office Holiday Party

by Meghann on December 10, 2009

With all the stress of my trip and morning, I had completely forgot that today was my company’s annual holiday party!

This year all the employees were treated to lunch at a local Italian restaurant called Antonio’s. I had never been, but had heard good things.

The powers that be had reserved a private room and we were presented with a select menu to order from.

The meal began with a wonderful basket of bread.

The bread had a very distinct flavor that I could not put my finger on. It had a wonderful crusty shell and a doughy center. If I ever return I could easily have a meal of just this bread. πŸ™‚

The salad was beautiful presented, but a little boring for my taste. I mean how boring is a bed of greens with a balsamic vinaigrette? Everyone agreed it needed a tomato, almond sliver, red onion, or something.

Unfortunately the select menu was very limiting and none of the choices really stood out to me. I had a nice conversation with the waiter and together we designed my own lunch that combined a couple of elements that were on the menu.

A single eggplant slice that had been lightly fried and rolled with cheese and marinara sauce.

Veggies (that were supposed to be steamed) and roasted vegetables.

I think next time I would just order the vegetables, a side of marinara sauce, and combine. I am such a picky eater and always have a hard time finding things to eat at Italian restaurants. Why does every Italian dish have to incorporate pasta?

Instead of consuming dessert at Antonio’s the gang all headed back to the office where a potluck dessert were waiting for us to enjoy.

I had planned on bringing something, but was way to worn out to even attempt to bake anything last night. There was still plenty of desserts – as I knew there would be – so I didn’t feel bad.

I had a bite of everything that looked the best.

My favorites were the bites of the cinnamon cookie and the chocolate cake. πŸ™‚

While we were enjoying dessert and office putt-putt competition was happening.

The goal was to hit the ball as close to the taped box as possible.

I came within 8 inches of the tape! That was pretty good!!

But, not good enough. Brian took home the prize – a one night stay at a local Sheraton.

Congrats Brian!

Next – Presents!!

Each participating co-worker was asked to bring a $20 or less gift.

See the Publix wine bag out front? That was mine! I picked up a bottle of red and white on the way back from lunch. πŸ˜‰

Each person that brought a gift then drew a number from a cup. Once your number was called you could choose a present under the tree or you can steal a present that had already been unwrapped.

I got the best number of them all – #1!!

This meant I had the first and last pick of gifts. Woop Woop!

Gift #1: Electric Wine Opener

I didn’t even have it 5 minutes before someone stole it!

Gift #2: Wine Basket

Again – gone in a matter of minutes! Everyone really liked what I was opening. πŸ™‚

I ended up with a $15 Itunes Gift Card and a Scratch Off.

Due to a 3 steal limit on gifts, I didn’t have to worry about anyone taking this from me. πŸ™‚

The party came to a slow end and the rest of our afternoon was left to our own leisure. My office can have its moments of high stress, but I really appreciates the company’s devotion to constantly improving employee morale. Its days like today that make me happy to work for a small, close knit company. πŸ™‚

When dinner time rolled around this evening I wasn’t craving anytime in particular, but I did have some salmon that needed to be baked.

I went with simple and coated the salmon with a apricot mustard sauce and flax before baking at 415 for 15 minutes.

A few rutabaga fries found their way in the oven alongside the salmon.

I have the worst sweet tooth at night. Despite having my fill of desserts this afternoon it was begging for more sweets! I obliged with some cherries and a piece of chocolate.

I was so happy to see cherrie for sale at Publix yesterday. Love them!

Tomorrow I will be working from home and need to fit some christmas shopping in at one point. I have bought NOTHING!

Anyone have any ideas what to get Kelly? πŸ˜‰ Or how about my 20 year old little brother? Anyone?

1 Nicci@NE December 10, 2009 at 9:18 pm

I love holiday parties.

2 legalstyle December 10, 2009 at 9:19 pm

your company looks like so much fun! i’d love to work at a place like that someday. (but alas, it looks like it’ll be a large, corporate, soul-sucking law firm for me!)

3 VeggieGirl December 10, 2009 at 9:53 pm

What brand of chocolate is that in the last photo? I can’t read what’s on the block, haha πŸ˜‰

4 Errign December 10, 2009 at 10:14 pm

I think it says Merci πŸ™‚

5 Kat December 10, 2009 at 10:06 pm

It seems like a great place to work! So nice that they treat everyone to lunch! It is always hard, though, to go to Italian places and not get pasta or pizza. I can empathize!

6 Jessica December 10, 2009 at 10:09 pm

Does your brother play video games??? I know that World of Worldcraft????

or maybe a good book….but do boys read….
jersey of his all time favorite team???
tickets to a home game???

that is all i have right now.

7 Mel December 10, 2009 at 10:16 pm

Looks like it was a fun party! I totally feel you about the meals at work parties/functions, I always have a hard time with the food they pick too!

I am totally jealous that you are in shorts, as it’s about -25 with the windchill here!

8 Jenna December 10, 2009 at 10:53 pm

i hear y meghann on all the dishes at italian restaurants including pasta!
number 1 is defs the best number in yankee swap!
jenna

9 inmytummy December 10, 2009 at 10:54 pm

I hate it when they have a prix fix (or however you spell it) menu. My company party is tomorrow and I’m sure it’ll be the same thing.

I just got my sister pajama pants and fuzzy socks from Old Navy.

10 Evan Thomas December 10, 2009 at 11:01 pm

I love yankee swaps! Number 1 is always so lucky

11 Molly December 10, 2009 at 11:02 pm

what a fun day!!! Your salmon looks awesome!
I would totally be with ya on ordering the veggies and marinara. I cant handle all that pasta either…I would have been very happy with baskets of bread though πŸ™‚
Hope you buy something good on itunes!

12 Brittney December 10, 2009 at 11:11 pm

I definitely have to be in the mood for pasta. Whenever I go to Italian places, I typically order pizza.

Good luck with your Christmas shopping. I still need to start mine, too πŸ™‚

13 runningd0wnadream December 10, 2009 at 11:11 pm

that sounds like a fun day! i wish my work did something like that, but there are only 6 of us so it would probably be pretty boring.

i never know what to get my brother either (he’s 22) or my mom. so i make them tell me what they want. luckily they’re very simple people to shop for. maybe get your sis something running-related?

14 avi December 10, 2009 at 11:12 pm

dude, so picky wtf

15 kandkfood December 10, 2009 at 11:14 pm

I have suuuchhh a bad sweet tooth at night. No matter what I had all day! Something fun with cherries and chocolate: freeze the cherries (or buy em frozen) and top with a scoop of yogurt and then chopped up chocolate. The frozen cherries kind of freeze the yogurt and it’s *almost* like frozen yogurt.
-Katie

16 Kristie Lynn December 10, 2009 at 11:20 pm

I bet Kelly would like anything running-related… just a guess πŸ˜‰

17 Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) December 10, 2009 at 11:42 pm

Looks like a great party!

18 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now December 10, 2009 at 11:50 pm

Maybe for your sister a gift basket with teas and chocolates and stuff like that. For your brother, I have no idea haha

19 Melissa S. December 10, 2009 at 11:53 pm

oh man, i have no idea what to get my 21 yrs old bros either. totally stumped.

20 whitneyinchicago December 11, 2009 at 12:14 am

Check out Etsy to get something fun for your sister. Its pretty amazing.

21 caryn December 11, 2009 at 12:26 am

tickets to a show could be cool. or maybe a giftcard to a nice restaurant for kelly (she could probably take her bf). cookbooks? magazine subscriptions (for a year maybe)? and i feel like boys like to get clothes even though they don’t always admit it…hehe you could do something cute/artsy with a picture from when you all were little; reminiscing is usually fun!

22 bad carbohydrates December 11, 2009 at 12:30 am

nice holiday with some good foods.

23 Karla December 11, 2009 at 1:00 am

I had rutabaga fries tonight too! What do you put on yours?

24 burpexcuzme December 11, 2009 at 2:35 am

I think I would have gotten that pork thing. Hee.
Why do you hate pasta?

25 Erin December 11, 2009 at 6:54 am

Looks like a fun, laid-back event. It’s nice to have something more casual.

26 allisonisactive December 11, 2009 at 8:25 am

My “office” (I work at a school) holiday party is tonight, and I am making mini pizzas this afternoon for the event. πŸ™‚ Instead of the gift game, we do Secret Santas the last week before holiday break. Your party looks like fun!

27 Jordan @ Salt Sweat Sugar December 11, 2009 at 8:34 am

I got my brother a year subscription to Xbox Live [because he loves the Xbox!] & a few new games. Anddd girls are hard… but I agree with the restaurant gift cards.

28 rungirlrunn December 11, 2009 at 8:44 am

What a fun office event!

29 Abby December 11, 2009 at 9:31 am

What an awesome party.. I wish my work was as festive.. lol πŸ˜‰

30 Erin December 11, 2009 at 9:58 am

I love office parties – it’s so nice for people to chill out and have fun together!

I totally agree on the sweet tooth at night thing!

My brother is 21 and I have NO idea what to get him either! I already got him a flask…:)

31 Anne Marie@ New Weigh of Life December 11, 2009 at 11:37 am

The party looks like so much fun!

32 meyergirl December 11, 2009 at 11:58 am

I love the white elephant game. I don’t know why, I just do. πŸ™‚

33 Amanda @ Cakes and Ale December 11, 2009 at 2:49 pm

Oh my gosh I’m the same way with sweets. I always try to resist during the day because at night I almost never go to bed without dessert!

34 Monica C. December 11, 2009 at 4:52 pm

This kills me: “I am such a picky eater and always have a hard time finding things to eat at Italian restaurants.”

LOL!! I would never think of you as being picky! I feel like you like everything under the sun! Is there a veggie that you don’t like? πŸ˜‰ I would dare say that most picky eaters would not consder okra fries to be something yummy. πŸ™‚

Just givin’ you a hard time! πŸ™‚

35 Danielle December 11, 2009 at 8:54 pm

Your office mini-golf game reminds me of an app where you try to shoot a paper ball into a trashcan with a fan blowing on it – so much fun (although it doesn’t sound like it from my description!)