more ยป" />

So Long St. Louis

by Meghann on December 9, 2009

I’m back!

Sorry for my lack of a real post yesterday, but after a very long day all I wanted was sleep. I hope you understand. :)

Yesterday was another cold day in St. Louis. We had plenty of rain through out the day, but unfortunately no snow. Bummer!

Before we had to report for duty at 8:30am my supervisor and I met for breakfast at a little grab and go diner by the hotel.

For breakfast I ordered a small stack of Blueberry Pancakes that came with ‘homemade honey fruit butter’ (wasn’t a fan) and syrup that I lightly drizzled on top. Probably used about a 1/4 of the syrup container?

These pancakes were quite scrumptious! I couldn’t believe how good they were and went and and on about them as I ate them. Big yum!

I combatted the early morning cold weather with a very strong hot breakfast tea alongside my breakfast.

I think I overloaded on hot tea during this trip. After finishing this gigantic cup I had a refill and another equally sized cup in the afternoon, not to mention the two large teas I had this morning. My stomach is officially tea-ed out at the moment.

Day 2 of working the booth was a lot less imitating than day one. I was able to get all the important information out about our product and even conducted my own demo. Woop Woop.

One of my co-workers informed me I should be a sales person because of my upbeat outgoing personality. I let out a little laugh and told her I’m such a softie – I could never close a deal!

The floor is rough, but at least I was comfortable all day in our adorable t-shirts.

If you are going to be on your feet working a booth, t-shirts and jeans are the way to go! I felt awful for the people in full suits or heels!

Around 10:00 am I pulled out a snack of yogurt & pineapple I had picked up on the way into the convention center.

Such a wonderful, refreshing snack.

When lunchtime rolled around, a co-worker and I headed to a local market to pick up food for our crew.

The Culinarian is a fabulous upscale grocery market with a full out deli that had made to order subs, pizzas, salads, a hot bar, soup, and anything else you could impossibly imagine. They were quick at handing back your orders and despite being very busy there was no line. I would love to live next door to one of these babies!

I went with a soup and sandwich combo.

White Chicken Chili

1/2 the Vegetarian Pannini

Everything was hot and filling. Perfect.

An uneventful afternoon lull led to some of this.

Over the course of the two days we had made friends with our surrounding exhibitors. It was nice to get to know people from around the country and learn a little bit about the products they had to offer.

Plus, they were game for building an arch which is always funs.

Unfortunately our skills weren’t up to par and it all came tumbling down. Such a shame.

At 4:00pm the exhibit hall closed and we were free! Woopeee!!!

My first tradeshow was quite an experience. I’m not sure if I will have an opportunity to work another one, but after a year of preparing the materials for my sales team to attend them it was nice to finally experience how they work in person.

With the little free time we had during our trip, my co-workers thought it was time to finally explore the city a little.

First I snacked on a granola bar I received in a race grab bag the other week.

I ate about half and it was ok. The fruity flavor was a bit too much for me. If the bar came in a peanut butter or chocolate flavor it might have been a different story.

To the arch we went!

We didn’t discover until we made it to the base that you could take a tram to the top. How could we resist?

Space pod anyone?

It was close quarters for the four of us and a very interesting shaky ride up.

The top was just a very narrow hallway with tiny windows on each side.

The view at night was gorgeous!

Back at ground level we headed to Kitchen K for an early dinner.

I could not get over how beautiful this restaurant was. It was designed as an upscale diner and I found myself very impressed with both the decor and food.

A co-worker ordered a bottle of Pinot Noir for the table.

I have determined wine is a must on work trips. ;)

I couldn’t decide what I wanted to I went a little bit of everything.

We started with an order of Sweet Potato Fries that was shared with the table.

These Sweet Potato Fries were fresh cut in the kitchen and just absolutely fabulous.

For warmth I ordered a cup of the Butternut Squash Bisque.

It was a bit sweet for me, but was very rich, creamy, and delicious.

For my main course I selected the Mediterranean Trio option from the appetizer menu.

The hummus was just alight, but the olive tapenade more than made up for it.

Finally, the meal came to an end with a huge slice of Carrot Cake that was shared by the four of us.

A great meal to end our trip with.

Everyone else headed back to the hotel, but I had a date with a couple of local blog readers.

Iga and Karla are both in school in St. Louis and it was fabulous chatting with them. Thanks again ladies for making the trek to downtown! It was great meeting both of you!

While chatting I slowly sipped on a Fat Tire.

I really debated ordering a colorful fruity drink, but none of them appealed to me. I am just too much of a beer and wine girl to ever want to order anything else. :)

I attempted to blog last night, but the 4:30 am wake up call was just too much to bare. Instead I opted to crawl into bed and ensure a full night of sleep.

4:30am came and went in a blur. We made it to the airport without any delays and were greeted with no line at the check-in desk.

Breakfast was consumed in the airport at the best option they had – a bagel place by our gate.

I had a whole wheat bagel with a side of fruit. I asked for the bagel plain and slather one side with Strawberry Jelly and the other with a packet of Barney Butter I had brought with me from home.

I am sooo ready to be home. Less than an hour and I’ll be safe and sound in good ole Central Florida.

Don’t worry Maddie, Mommy is almost there!

1 Casey Leigh December 9, 2009 at 11:57 am

I love St. Louis! The arch is so fun. That rickety ride up is a bit scary, but the view is fabulous.

Looks like you had a fun work trip. Welcome back!

2 biz319 December 9, 2009 at 11:58 am

Glad you had such a good event – have you ever tried the beer Skinny Dip? It’s Fat Tire’s version of light beer – so good!

You’ll be happy to get back to warm weather I am sure!

3 Runeatrepeat December 9, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Fun trip – even if it was work related :)

4 caitsplate December 9, 2009 at 12:23 pm

Aw it looks like you had such a good time! It must be so nice to know that no matter what city you go to, there are always readers there ready and waiting for you! :)

I’m sure Maddie can’t WAIT to see you!

5 VeggieGirl December 9, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Maddie will be ecstatic! :)

6 Ali December 9, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Glad everything went well! Have a safe trip home!

7 bethandellie December 9, 2009 at 12:36 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed my City :) You also gave me some ideas for places I need to check out, I don’t go down town a lot. Sorry it was SO cold, to bad cause we have some awesome running – forest park is amazing!

8 Mara @ What's For Dinner? December 9, 2009 at 12:36 pm

I love the St. Louis arch! I have very fond memories of trips in high school down to St. Louis, and groups of us playing Marco Polo from pod to pod on our way up.

9 Heather (Sugar & Spice Blog) December 9, 2009 at 12:41 pm

I love the pictures of your lunch from yesterday – it is freezing here with icy rain in Boston and the soup and hot sandwich look sooo wonderful at the moment! Hope you had a great trip!

10 skinnyrunner December 9, 2009 at 12:56 pm

cute pictures! esp the ones of you at the arch. glad youre back!

11 Whit December 9, 2009 at 12:56 pm

What a fun meet up! Love the Fat Tire. Besides pumpkin ale, that’s the only beer I drink. ;) I am much more of a wine person.

12 Evan Thomas December 9, 2009 at 1:04 pm

I never knew you could go in the arch. That’s awesome

13 Megan (the Runner's Kitchen) December 9, 2009 at 1:05 pm

I love having bagels on days that I travel – they seem to settle my stomach!

Love the photos from Kitchen K – sweet potato fries are my favorite appetizer :-)

14 Haleigh December 9, 2009 at 1:11 pm

St. Louis is one of my favorite American cities. I used to have a lot of cheerleading competitions there and I loved going to visit every year. It brings back good memories :) and the fact that I am getting old, ehh.. lol

15 RhodeyGirlTests December 9, 2009 at 1:12 pm

What other snacks did you have with you that you never ended up eating? I love that you bring snacks with you!

16 meyergirl December 9, 2009 at 1:25 pm

Glad you enjoyed St. Louis and the weather wasn’t too bad!! I’m curious as to what you do at your job. Training?

17 tangerinesandmarmalade December 9, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Whoa, the inside of that tram is trippy! And that carrot cake looks phenom. Glad you had a good trip!

18 Julia December 9, 2009 at 1:37 pm

I Love going up the arch with people who have never been. I’ve probably been up it at least 3 times. The ride up is definitely close quarters!
And I totally recognize that Great American Bagel. I ate there last time I was at the St. Louis airport – I really like their bagesl!

19 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) December 9, 2009 at 2:14 pm

This is so cool, I love how someone could show up here and get inspiration for eating healthy on a work trip out of town (and still have fun).

Great post Meghann!

20 Stepfanie December 9, 2009 at 2:16 pm

Meghann,
That’s too funny–I just opened that same bottle of wine on Sunday night! I really disliked it at first because of the overwhelming aftertaste of rose, but after I let it breathe, it was quite good. What did you think?
Seems like a fun time!
Stepfanie

21 Lindsay December 9, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Fun trip! That restaurant looks really nice. I bet Maddie misses you ;)

22 Laure December 9, 2009 at 2:23 pm

I love your blog, but there are a few wacky spelling/grammatical errors that you make a lot that kind of distract from your fun writing. I hope I’m not being terribly annoying myself!

When you say you can’t “bare” something, you actually can’t “bear” it. Bear meaning weight-bearing.

Also, you kind of randomly capitalize a lot of food items that are not section titles — even if something’s been on a menu, unless it’s a brand name you don’t have to capitalize it. So, like if you say you had butternut squash soup, you wouldn’t capitalize it even if it was like that on the menu. Same goes for vanilla yogurt.

There are some other problems with stuff like, “it’s” and “its” and “your”/”you’re”

I know you post so often that it’s difficult to look out for typos and stuff, and that’s probably more important, but just something to think about. You put so much work into your fitness and your blog and it’s clear that you’re a perfectionist, so I thought maybe you’d want to know.

23 Erin December 9, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Sounds like a busy — but fun! — trip. Gorgeous pics. :)

24 Courtney December 9, 2009 at 3:19 pm

When was the first time you met a blogger? Is it awkward at all? Do you have good conversation? Do they blog as well? Just curious :] I think it’s a sweet deal. If you come to Portland ….. !!

25 Monica C. December 9, 2009 at 4:28 pm

I love reading about your food choices from restaurants, particularly “fast-foodish” kind of places. You always manage to find something pretty healthy! For example, for you, having sweet potato fries probably feels a bit like junk food, whereas I would never order such a thing (gimme the regular old fries, please!). Reading this blog does inspire me to make better choices, though!

26 Misty December 9, 2009 at 4:46 pm

Be glad you left when you did – it’s absolutely FREEZING here today (well, I’m an hour away from StL on the Illinois side, but it’s generally the same, weather-wise) – about 20 degrees with wind up to 40 mph, so a wind chill of THREE degrees.

I’ve been up in the Arch many times in my life, and I’m always surprised when people mention that they didn’t know you could go up to the top. I guess it just seems like common knowledge to me because I’m familiar with it. It really is a breathtaking view, even if it’s kind of a pain to get to that point.

27 Anne Marie@ New Weigh of Life December 9, 2009 at 4:49 pm

I drove past the arch, but never stopped in. I love the view from the top!

28 Amanda @ Cakes and Ale December 9, 2009 at 4:51 pm

I travel a lot for work and getting the healthy food options down to a science took me a long time and hard work… you seem to have figured it all out well though! It just takes a little planning and persistence and balance…

29 ~Jessica~ December 9, 2009 at 5:10 pm

I’m not surprised you were tired ~ you worked so incredibly hard both days so hopefully you’ll have some ‘me’ (or ‘you’ lol) time when you return home. I’m sure Maddie will be overjoyed to see you :)

That view is spectacular…too bad I’m so afraid of heights. And elevators!

30 Lisa (bakebikeblog) December 9, 2009 at 5:17 pm

Oh it looks like a fabolous trip! congrats on the trade show – I bet you are tired today!

31 Laura Georgina December 9, 2009 at 5:48 pm

it’s so encouraging to see that you can have a crazy packed schedule and still find ways to eat well. I’m about to head off on a mini break tomorrow and seeing this makes me feel confident that I can make good food choices too.

Those pictures of St. Louis are wicked! Is that the new Rebel in action?

32 Jamie December 9, 2009 at 6:40 pm

Sounds like a very busy but fun trip! I can relate to the long days because I am traveling almost every week for work now and it can definitely be exhausting. You did a great job keeping your eats so healthy on the go– as usual!

33 rebecca lustig December 9, 2009 at 6:54 pm

All of your meals look absolutely delectable– my mouth is watering!

Have a safe trip back, love

34 Jenna December 9, 2009 at 7:25 pm

looks like a great work trip!
jenna

35 Emily December 10, 2009 at 12:34 am

I have a policy of always commenting on blogs when Colorado-brewed beer is featured. :) Fat Tire is made by the New Belgium Brewery about 2 hours from my home in Denver. They are an awesome company that is employee-owned and almost completely wind-powered. Not to mention, they make delicious beer! If you like wheat beers, I highly recommend their Mothership Wit.

36 Jordan @ Salt Sweat Sugar December 10, 2009 at 9:12 am

If you decide you loved that wine, they sell it at most Costco locations for like $9.99-$11.99 a bottle =]