more ยป" />

Workin' It in St. Louis

by Meghann on December 7, 2009

Its coooold in St. Louis!

I am all bundled up in every piece of winter clothing I own and I am still freezing. I am such a Florida girl. ๐Ÿ™‚

It felt great to get a really good night of sleep last night. By the time I finally made it back to my room I was a little more than exhausted. I passed out as soon as I hit the pillow.

Unfortunately, the great night of sleep didn’t lead to a great start to the day. I woke up to an overflowing toilet and a flooded bathroom!

They fixed the toilet immediately, but didn’t get to the flood until after I was out to door for the day. I wish I could have got a better picture of the flood. It wasn’t pretty.

I spent the hour or so I had to myself in the morning, exploring what little I could of the surrounding area. Downtowns kind of scare me, so I didn’t wander far. I was in search for a great breakfast place and found a cute little market that prepared wraps, sandwiches, ad other various items.

My 18 miles from yesterday had caught up with me and I was hangry.

I ordered a gigantic burrito filled with eggs, veggies and beans.

Yummy!

I also had a Vanilla Yogurt.

I probably could have done with out the yogurt as the burrito was so filling, but I really wanted some yogurt with my meal. I only ate about 3/4 of the yogurt and burrito before tossing the rest.

The rest of my morning was spent in the Tradeshow booth pushing a a new product I quickly learned alot about.

This was my first tradeshow experience for my job. I am not a sales person by nature, so it was defintiely a learning curve to get people into the booth. Once I got a system down it was a cinch. ๐Ÿ™‚

It helped that I had great people working with me. ๐Ÿ˜‰

All the booth rangling was hard work. I spent 8+ hours on my feet and built up quite an appetite!

Around 10:00 I had an apple that I saved from breakfast.

And for lunch a co-worker and I picked up some eats from the deli next to the convention center.

I loaded up at the salad bar and took it to go.

The afternoon started to pick just as I was beginning to drag. An Awake Tea Misto quickly came to the rescue.

Once the show was over I was tired, hungry & cranky. I can’t begin to tell you how much work goes into working a booth!

We didn’t even waste time changing or relaxing, the four of us headed straight to dinner at a local recommended restaraunt called Charlie Giattos.

For the second night in a row a nice bottle of red wine made an appearance and was shared among the table.

I had a cup of French Onion Soup with out the bread and cheese on top, but I did have a piece of bread on the side for dipping.

For the main course the Seafood Risotto.

This was very tasty. I enjoyed the big hunks of seafood. Yum!

It’s 8:30 St. louis time and I am ready to crawl into bed and call it a night. Tomorrow is another full day of work, beginning with an early run in the hotel gym. I can’t wait.

Good Night!

1 blueberrymuffins December 7, 2009 at 10:57 pm

Sounds like you have been busy busy! Yeah shows are usually long and hurt the feet- hopefully you have comfy shoes!

2 Erin December 7, 2009 at 11:00 pm

Standing on your feet all day is exhausting — during the year I taught, we weren’t allowed to sit down in our classrooms at all! Ugh! Looks like you’re having an enjoyable trip though. ๐Ÿ™‚

3 Lizzy December 7, 2009 at 11:12 pm

that borrito looks amazing!!!! i’m sure that kept you fueled for a while! good luck tomorrow! ๐Ÿ™‚

4 Kat December 7, 2009 at 11:16 pm

Looks like you have stayed super healthy on your trip- between the sleep and all of the healthy food! Rest up!

5 Kristen December 7, 2009 at 11:23 pm

Part of my job is to manage the tradeshow program for my company too! It can be exhausting and the travel can really take it’s toll. Hard to be peppy and friendly to attendees when you’re tired and fee ache!

I found that a hot bath is the best remedy after a long day on the tradeshow floor! After wine and dinner, of course, LOL ๐Ÿ™‚

6 kbwood December 7, 2009 at 11:31 pm

you look like a model in the first pic!

7 Mama Pea December 7, 2009 at 11:37 pm

A toilet on your blog! I think this is a first!

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 7, 2009 at 11:39 pm

I was exhausted just walking around in the trade show we went to, I can only imagine WORKING it! Glad to hear it isn’t as scary as it looks…Im thinking of doing one next year.
Enjoy the rest of your trip!

9 Leianna December 8, 2009 at 12:06 am

Such great eats for a traveling girl! A flooded bathroom sounds like a fun way to start the day too!

10 Jenna December 8, 2009 at 12:16 am

looks like a great but busy day!
your breakfast burrito, lunch salad, and seafood risotto all look great!
jenna

11 Amanda December 8, 2009 at 12:25 am

Meghann, you HAVE to go to Pi for dinner before you leave! I’m from St. Louis (actually driving back home tomorrow!), and this is one of our claims to fame. It’s a really good deep dish pizza place (with cornmeal crust), and the restaurant is ecologically sustainable. President Obama chose pizza from Pi instead of classic Chicago deep dish to serve at one of his dinners. Also, make sure you hit up Ted Drewes for frozen custard! Even though it’s cold, I’m sure they’ll be a line!

12 [email protected] December 8, 2009 at 12:27 am

Looks like a great work trip!

13 Melissa S. December 8, 2009 at 12:51 am

glad things are going well…besides the toilet incident. hah.

and i totally hear you about being a fl girl, cause i’m in sacramento and it’s 35 and i’m dying…goes to show i’m a socal girl!

14 Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) December 8, 2009 at 1:00 am

You are too cute all bundled up! That sucks about the toilet ๐Ÿ˜›

15 Lisa (bakebikeblog) December 8, 2009 at 1:23 am

Congrats on making it through a long yet successful day!
ooooh Ilove your hat in the first pic ๐Ÿ™‚

16 Madelin December 8, 2009 at 4:09 am

Oooh love your hot pink handbag! I have a hot pink Marc Jacobs bag that is my absolute treasure. I love wearing it and always seem to get comments on the colour. I love hot pink accesories! Sounds lik a long long day so try to relax :).

17 Karla December 8, 2009 at 7:27 am

You look so cute! I went to bed super early too (before 9pm!). Good luck on another long day!

18 greensandjeans December 8, 2009 at 8:50 am

I work expos fairly regularly as a part of my job and it is DEFINITELY exhausting!

19 Molly @vegandorm December 8, 2009 at 8:57 am

Making me miss home! If you have time, check out teh Central West End – it’s teh “hip” part of downtown STL.

20 Laura Georgina December 8, 2009 at 8:58 am

Trade fairs are TIRING! I’m sure today will fly by and you’ll be back home before you know it ๐Ÿ™‚

21 Anna December 8, 2009 at 9:16 am

Ugh– stuff like this is so exhausting. I feel ya ๐Ÿ™‚

At least your eats look delish!

22 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) December 8, 2009 at 9:22 am

That burrito looks delicious! I’m sure all that good food you ate kept you going throughout the day. Good luck with the rest of your booth wrangling ๐Ÿ˜‰

23 Kristie Lynn December 8, 2009 at 9:27 am

Man, waking up to the bathroom flood must have been… fun. Way to not let it bring you down at all! ๐Ÿ™‚

24 meyergirl December 8, 2009 at 9:58 am

Good luck today!! Hope it’s less stressful.

25 Cait (Cait's Plate) December 8, 2009 at 10:09 am

That burrito looks completely amazing. And does it seriously say $2.99!? If it does that’s an AWESOME deal! Haha.

Have a great day! Hope it’s not too crazy!

26 Jessie December 8, 2009 at 10:51 am

Tradeshows are hard work. I have to go to one each year with my company, plus I coordinate them in house. Exhausting.

27 Shannon (The Daily Balance) December 8, 2009 at 10:57 am

Nice travel eats! I travel a decent amount for work and know how tricky it can be!

28 Lindsay December 8, 2009 at 11:00 am

Wow, what a day! My college residence was an old hotel and my room’s toilet once overflowed and flooded the bathroom… Not fun ๐Ÿ™

29 Anne Marie@ New Weigh of Life December 8, 2009 at 11:03 am

Looks like you are having a good time!!

30 tangerinesandmarmalade December 8, 2009 at 11:28 am

Glad you got some nommy eats in on your work day!

31 DiningAndDishing December 8, 2009 at 11:48 am

Your breakfast burrito looks so good! I had one for the first time when I was in the southwest for work – what a delicious idea :O).

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

32 Amy December 8, 2009 at 12:02 pm

ooohhh! So jealous! I’m from Missouri originally and always loved going downtown StL with my friends!!! Such good food! (And places to enjoy an adult beverage or two… he he)

33 The Pancake Girl December 8, 2009 at 12:38 pm

That breakfast burrito looks ahhhhhhh-mazing! Have a great day!

34 goodtastehealthyme December 8, 2009 at 1:46 pm

I love your hair and outfits. You always look so cute!

35 Erica December 8, 2009 at 2:22 pm

Sounds like a long but good day! Your breakfast burrito looks just awesome. Hope that today goes just as well

36 Tracey December 8, 2009 at 2:30 pm

I can totally sympathize with the flooding. Our upstairs neighbor flooded her bathroom and it flooded ours as well. Awful.

I also worked my fair share of trade shows and they are a lot of work!

37 Ali December 8, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Looks like a busy day!!!! That burrito looks OUTSTANDING! Hope your having a great day!

38 Marsha December 8, 2009 at 3:13 pm

I thought the burrito looked delicious, but the risotto was even more fantastic-looking!

39 Mel @ She Runs Brooklyn December 8, 2009 at 4:28 pm

kickass breakfast! just wanted to let you know of the giveaway on my blog in case you’re interested in a jacket ๐Ÿ™‚

40 masteringpublichealth December 8, 2009 at 6:18 pm

That burrito looks awesome; it’s always nice to find cute (healthful) on-the-go foods like that.

41 Naomi(onefitfoodie) December 8, 2009 at 6:21 pm

have a great trip girl!!! mmm I love overstuffed burritos, surley fill you up and keep you satisfied for a while!

be careful of that bathroom floor!!

42 Wendy December 8, 2009 at 7:39 pm

Your toilet incident reminds me of something that happened once to me at a hotel – the sink started spewing sewage water from the drain! It was horrible. The hotel was kind enough to quickly move us to a new room.

It’s too bad the STL weather is so crummy for your trip! Today & tomorrow’s weather here (near freezing, windy & rain) is about as bad as it gets!

43 Kelli December 8, 2009 at 7:45 pm

Hi Meghann!

I love your blog! I have been following it for quite some time now! I cant tell you how much I relate to the whole sitting at a desk all day and having to learn how to really eat and cook for yourself! My friend Katie and I just started a blog and you are a huge inspiration for us! Keep up the good work!

twolivesonelifestyle.wordpress.com

44 Amanda @ Cakes and Ale December 8, 2009 at 8:08 pm

Isn’t French Onion soup the best?

You’ve got some willpower avoiding the cheese-y topping though! That’s my favorite part… mmm, melty Gruyere…

45 George January 17, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Where in downtown stl did you get that breakfast burrito?