A Struggle

by Meghann on December 3, 2009

We all have those mornings when we feel slow and sluggish and for me that morning was this morning.

I set out on an 8 mile tempo run, but never really got into the groove of things. I struggled to hold a sub- 9:00 minute pace for the middle 4 miles and just wanted the run to be done.

I found it so interesting that today I struggle with a 9:00 minute pace for 4 miles, but just a few days ago I held 8:37 for 13.1 miles. I have discovered over the last year that I always run ‘faster’ on the weekend as opposed to weekdays. I winder why that is?

After my run I enjoyed a big bowl of cereal for breakfast,

IMG_0562

• 1/2 cup Kashi Honey Sunshine
  • 1/2 cup Missy’s Mix #1 (the last of the container)
  • 1/4 cup TJ’s Pumpkin Granola
  • 1/2 Apple
  • Plain Oikos

IMG_0557

I chopped the apple extra small this morning so that each spoonful would have a little apple crunch to it. Yum!

Race Photos…

Marathonfoto finally posted their official race photos from my half marathon on Sunday (recap here). As always my photos were slightly hilarious. Its really hard to take a good photo while you are concentrating on a race!

Here are some of the best!

I wish the one below was taken just a tad later. You can kind see the sun poking over the water in the background here.

SpaceCoast2

SapceCoast4

Approaching the finish line!

SpaceCoast1 SpaceCoast copy

Too bad the big PROOF is covering my joyous face 🙂

SpaceCoast6

And the winner for least flattering photo of the race? lol

SpaceCoast5

SpaceCoast3

St. Louis Meet Up…

If you are in the St. Louis area and would like to meet up on Monday or Tuesday night, shoot me an e-mail at graduatemeghann@gmail.com

I’m in town for a work thing so I am not sure how much free time I will have, but we can try and work something out.

Calling Tammy Eros…

Send me an e-mail and claim your Oh! Nuts prize! Otherwise I am announcing another winner. 😉

1 Jess (Fit Chick in the City) December 3, 2009 at 10:00 am

You always have the cutest race day photos! Maybe it because you feel more relaxed on the weekends, since your not going to work. I know I always enjoy my weekend runs a little more than week day runs. I feel free and not pressured by time restraints.

2 Julie @ Wearing Mascara December 3, 2009 at 10:04 am

I feel the same way about weekend runs vs. week runs. I think it has to do with how much rest I have on the weekends compared to my workday. It’s a very interesting phenomenon! 🙂 Love your race photos! Have a great day!

3 rebecca lustig December 3, 2009 at 10:05 am

You know what I like most about your photos? They’re REAL. You don’t have a dolled up look– it’s just you. And the passion that you get from running glows and reflects beautifully off your face!!

As for the cereal– talk about a powerful, energizing way to start the day.

Have a great day, dear
bec xo

4 Matt December 3, 2009 at 10:07 am

We all have off running days. I am always faster in a race than during training as well because of the adrenaline.

5 tami December 3, 2009 at 10:17 am

glad to see i am not the only heal striker in race photos-that is something I am working on.

and i think we have so much on our minds during the week, getting to work on time and all the rest of the days events where you HAVe to be some place or in a different place in our mind

6 inmytummy December 3, 2009 at 10:21 am

I find that I do better on the weekends because I’m not as rushed for time. You’d think that’d make me faster, but I think it just stresses me out.

7 greensandjeans December 3, 2009 at 10:23 am

my race photos are always AWFUL. who knew I was the world’s least photogenic runner? yours, on the other hand, look great! love the one with the sunrise!

8 caitsplate December 3, 2009 at 10:31 am

I feel that way too. I think on the weekends you’re just better rested and relaxed and you know that you don’t have to rush to get ready. Sometimes my morning weekday runs are AWESOME and sometimes they completely blow.

In other news – you’ve inspired me to start singing up for road races again! 🙂 I’ve been a bit addicted to your blog lately, it’s such great motivation to get into running gear!

9 VeggieGirl December 3, 2009 at 10:33 am

STELLAR race photos!

10 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) December 3, 2009 at 10:41 am

Great job on the race, that is awesome! I’m hoping to beat my previous half marathon time (2:12) next year 🙂

11 megan December 3, 2009 at 10:44 am

great photos! mine are always terrible. apparently i don’t look like i’m having fun when I’m running (maybe because I’m not!)

12 Kath December 3, 2009 at 10:52 am

I just wrote about that pace weirdness on Tuesday 🙂 I’m totally the same.

13 Lindsay December 3, 2009 at 10:53 am

Your race photos are great!! You look so happy 🙂 Too bad they have to put big proofs across all of them though. Oh well. Your breakfast looks awesome!

14 Evan Thomas December 3, 2009 at 10:54 am

I love race photos. They remind me of ride photos from Universal Studios

15 Kelsey December 3, 2009 at 10:56 am

love the first proof!!!

16 TorontoGirloutWest December 3, 2009 at 11:05 am

Ahahah don’t you just love race photos! I always imagine I look much cuter running than I actually do! 😛

17 Amy December 3, 2009 at 11:09 am

You’re going to St. Louis? I have two words for you…

Ted Drewes.

That’s the most important meetup you could have in St. Louis.

And now I’ll be dreaming of Ted Drewes all day.

18 Brandi December 3, 2009 at 11:11 am

race photos are always funny! that’s a good one of you and Kelly, though! Cute.

19 Megan (The Runner's Kitchen) December 3, 2009 at 11:11 am

I noticed that my pace is faster when I’ve had more time to wake up and warm up my muscles. I love race photos! I’ve had some doozies taken of me 🙂

20 eaternotarunner December 3, 2009 at 11:11 am

Love the photos!

21 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) December 3, 2009 at 11:13 am

I love your race photos – you look so happy and free – you are positively glowing in them!

22 meyergirl December 3, 2009 at 11:17 am

Ha!! The only race I have photos from was the Halloween one so I’m wearing a Superwoman costume. LOL

23 Brittney December 3, 2009 at 11:19 am

Maybe you’re faster on the weekends because you don’t have to rush to work and so the run is more leisurely.

Love the race photos!

24 Pen December 3, 2009 at 11:23 am

Aw, I love STL!! I went to college there and my favorite was to run around Forrest Park. There is a 10K loop, which is really scenic and pretty.

And, as suggested above: Ted stewed is awesome!!! Their “great pumpkin” concrete is delish!!!

25 Tammy Eros December 3, 2009 at 11:25 am

Thanks for posting again that I won the Oh Nuts! giveaway…I haven’t been able to read any blogs this week and I appreciate the chance to get back to you!
Tammy

26 Britt - Runnerbelle December 3, 2009 at 11:38 am

It is amazing how some days you have the speed and other days you don’t. Fortunately I’ve had my speed for most of the marathons I’ve done. I look back and am kind of in awe of myself, especially on those pokey run days. LOL

My pictures from the NYC Marathon are horrible! Primarily b/c they are mainly wide shots of lots of runners but the few closer up ones are not pretty. 😉 At least you got a few cute ones.

27 MelissaNibbles December 3, 2009 at 11:42 am

Even though I can’t quite see your face in the finish line photo, I think it’s the best one. Gotta love a strong finish!

28 Annie December 3, 2009 at 11:43 am

Do yourself a favor and go to the Central West End! SO many great cafes and restaurants. My absolute favorite is the Cupcakery – soooo delicious. Coffee Cartel is a STL “must” as well! Have fun!

29 skinnyrunner December 3, 2009 at 11:47 am

your race photos are fab! you look so happy in them. i always look like im trying to murder someone in mine.

30 Anne Marie@ New Weigh of Life December 3, 2009 at 11:48 am

I love the photos! They rock, as always!

31 aron December 3, 2009 at 11:52 am

love the pics 🙂 adorable!

dont forget that racing that half marathon will also take some recovery time. i definitely find that after a hard race like that my speedwork/tempo runs suffer a little the next week.

32 Naomi (onefitfoodie) December 3, 2009 at 11:57 am

sometimes I get an extra burst of energy on teh weekends too and have never figured out why! I think its because usually My ‘lighter’ workouts are for teh weekends, but then i get to the gym adn always think to myself, oh I dont have to work as hard and end up working HARDER!

love the pics, you look anything but unflattering, you look so great and inspiring 🙂

33 biz319 December 3, 2009 at 11:59 am

Love the last picture of you and Kelly! 😀

34 Erin December 3, 2009 at 12:17 pm

The picture of you and your sister is so cute! 😀 Do you usually order pictures or just take your own?

35 Shannon (The Daily Balance) December 3, 2009 at 12:24 pm

Nice photos! Love that you are beaming in every single on of them 😉

36 Allison December 3, 2009 at 1:14 pm

you should get a copy of that picture of you and your sis for her as an xmas present!

37 Ali December 3, 2009 at 1:16 pm

I like all of those pics! I think they are cute!!! The one of you and Kelly is GREAT!

38 Chrysta December 3, 2009 at 1:24 pm

Congrats girl!! Looks like an awesome race!

39 Hethir December 3, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Congratulations on the race! Be proud of every single one. I always get a good laugh when my race photos are ready. They always seem to catch me making a really funny face.

40 Molly @vegandorm December 3, 2009 at 1:49 pm

I’m from St. Louis, and I live right by the airport, but I’m at college right now! 🙁
If you’re looking for food recommendations or anything, let me know!

41 Anne P December 3, 2009 at 1:50 pm

Aw I love the one of you crossing the finish!

That one just after is pretty hilarious though, haha.

42 Jenna December 3, 2009 at 2:26 pm

great pics!
jenna

43 Lisa December 3, 2009 at 4:46 pm

Great photos!! 🙂 Wow the photographer took heaps – you have lots to choose from!

44 Christy December 3, 2009 at 5:33 pm

Haha, love the photos. I think it would be really hard to take a good picture while running!!

45 Wendy December 3, 2009 at 7:49 pm

Yup, my race photos are always bad. I’m always concentrating too hard on the race, and don’t pay attention to where the photographers are! Especially at the end of the race, where they take all the pics.

I live in the STL area, but too far out to easily make a trip in on a weekday evening (~an hour, depending). 🙁 I can’t wait to read about it, though! P.S. It’s COLD here right now, and the forecast doesn’t look much better for early next week!! Bring warm clothes!