Pear Butter

by Meghann on December 2, 2009

Is it really Wednesday already? Yippee!

Wednesday runs are always fun because its my shortest run of the training week. This morning I knocked out 3 miles and 6×100 strides in less than 30 minutes then proceeded to spend 15 minutes working on my core and arms.

I have had comments in the past asking for an example of my typical ab routine, but honestly I just lay on the floor and perform what ever crunch that comes to my head. I roughly do 50 of the particular crunch and then move on to the next. I also spend a couple of minutes on plank moves and any pillate position I can think of.

If you were to ask me right now to replicate the ab routine I executed this morning, I would have no clue where to start. πŸ˜‰

While attending the Foodbuzz Festival in San Francisco last month, I had the pleasure of meeting quite a few Foodzie contributors and was sent home with a lovely swag bag of samples. Included in that bag was this lovely jar of homemade Pear Butter that has been sitting on top of my fridge since my return.

IMG_0442

I had a craving for Almond Butter Toast and knew it was time to finally open this virgin jar. In my heart it was the perfect accompaniment to my desired almond butter.

IMG_0449

I slathered a toasted Arnold’s Thin with Almond Butter, the Pear Butter, and topped with Raisins and Flax.

IMG_0456

Delicious. Upon opening the jar of pear butter, you could tell it was made and packaged with love. The consistency was nice and thick and contained mushy chunks of real pear. It was perfect in every way.

A big juicy pear paired nicely with the Almond Butter & Pear Butter Toast.

IMG_0450

IMG_0445

My apartment is currently a disaster zone.

The clothes I washed last week are still on my kitchen table begging to be hung up, my purchases from this past weekend remain in their bags on my living room floor, my Christmas decorations have made it out of the closet, but not out of their boxes, a stack of cardboard boxes that is almost as tall as me sits by the door waiting to be taken to the dumpster, and last, but certainly not least, strings and stuffing from a couple of Maddie’s toys are light strewn all over the apartment.

Why am I telling you all this?

In hopes you will slap my wrist and tell me to get a move on with picking my apartment up. I LOVE living by myself, but without roommates or regular visitors to clean up for, I turn into a complete slob. I am missing that girlie gene that strives for spotlessness. Instead I have that gene that doesn’t really care if I live in a mess or not.

I need help!

My goal is to have my apartment spotless by the time I leave for St. Louis on Sunday. Can I do it? Probably not, but at least its a goal!

1 megzzwinsatlife December 2, 2009 at 10:19 am

Your breakfast looks delish!!

You can do it.. When I set a goal for myself I HAVE to complete it.. Everyday set a goal for yourself.. For example.. tonight I will hang my clothes.. Tomorrow morning I will take the box’s out to the dumpster.. Tomorrow night I will decorate..

So my apartment doesn’t become a disaster.. I designate one night a week where I clean and straighten up.. Kinda noradic I know but it works for me πŸ™‚

Perhaps a challenge..

Megan

2 megan December 2, 2009 at 10:19 am

I tend to create some sort of system for myself if I know I have to clean. If I want to watch a movie or something, i tell myself I can watch for 15 minutes, then get up and clean something. I sweep the floor or pick stuff up off the floor in a certain room, etc. then I get to watch 15 more minutes before I do the next task. It makes me work quickly and efficiently, and it’s interspersed with fun. I actually enjoy it πŸ™‚

3 greensandjeans December 2, 2009 at 10:26 am

I am a disaster when it comes to packing/unpacking and cleaning! It all eventually gets done, but I never have the motivation to do it. I usually do it during commercials of a show that I really like!

4 wnk505 December 2, 2009 at 10:27 am

I’m so jealous you live by yourself! I get the same way you do with with cleaning my room especially when I’m at my parents home. I usually get to the point where I can’t stand it any longer and organize everything. You just have to get in the mood/groove/etc. and take care of it all at once until it pills up again haha… good luck you can do it!

5 Karla December 2, 2009 at 10:30 am

My roommate is a slob! She leaves her stuff everywhere (clothes, open packages, dirty dishes, random napkins, accesories…)

Trust me, your own mess is better than someone else’s! I can’t wait to live alone!

6 Stephanie December 2, 2009 at 10:32 am

No worries! My house is the exact same right now. Drives me nuts! You’re perfectly normal! πŸ˜‰

7 Jenna December 2, 2009 at 10:33 am

yuummm! pear butter. just try and do a little each day!
jenna

8 Becca December 2, 2009 at 10:36 am

Haha remember our dorm room, Jess and Erins room would be spotless and then there was our half which was always a mess…..laundry flowing out from under our 4 foot high beds!!!lol Hope all is well! Have a great holiday season!

9 greenbean December 2, 2009 at 10:45 am

I’m with you Meghann. I live alone and therefore I’m a slob. I confess. I’m so messy. My bday is next week and I’m having visitors. This is some of the best motivation to get busy on cleaning up. My biggest problem is keeping my clothes in order. I have clothing everywhere! I need to utilize my closet and donate things I don’t wear. Good luck to ya! We can do it πŸ™‚

10 Erin December 2, 2009 at 10:46 am

That sounds yummy!

Setting a goal helps. And just think of how much better your place will feel (and look) once it’s tidied up. πŸ™‚

11 00kate December 2, 2009 at 10:46 am

How do you do your strides? Is it a 100yard sprint?

Great run and good luck on the cleaning. I always clean when I’m stressed and I’ve got finals coming up so I might be doing the same tonight.

-Kate
00kate.com

12 DiningAndDishing December 2, 2009 at 10:48 am

That pear butter jar is adorable!! It would make an excellent gift :O)

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

13 Runeatrepeat December 2, 2009 at 10:53 am

I am totally missing that gene too! I don’t get it, but I’ve always been messy. I’m trying to be better though πŸ™‚

14 Christy December 2, 2009 at 10:56 am

How about you make your Sunday post about the status of your apt? That way you will HAVE to post pics and show if you cleaned up or not. ;p

15 Amanda December 2, 2009 at 10:57 am

I live by myself too, but I think I have a little more motivation to stay tidy because I live in a studio apartment and not making my bed/picking up my stuff means that my whole place is a mess! I often set one or two tasks to do per night .. last night I ran/emptied the dishwasher, hung up decorations, and vacuumed. Tonight I am doing laundry. It’s always more fun with Christmas music on and doesn’t seem like a waste of time if I’ve got a good meal cooking in the oven while doing it!

16 skinnyrunner December 2, 2009 at 10:59 am

that pear of pear butter is too cute with the packaging. looks like a yummy breakfast!

17 Tay December 2, 2009 at 11:03 am

Get cleanin’ lady! Just blast some Christmas music and get on the ball. πŸ˜‰

18 VeggieGirl December 2, 2009 at 11:05 am

You CAN do it!!! Good luck πŸ™‚

19 Brittney December 2, 2009 at 11:07 am

I would be the same way if I lived alone. When I had roommates I was a little better at keeping stuff cleaned up. I’m now back at home with the parents and luckily they do that cleaning πŸ™‚ But I know I would be terrible if I lived on my own. I hate cleaning! I’m sure your’s will get done eventually πŸ™‚

20 blueberrymuffins December 2, 2009 at 11:11 am

Go get your clean on!!!

21 brandi December 2, 2009 at 11:14 am

I would be a lot worse with putting stuff away if I wasn’t married πŸ™‚ our “dining room” table is where all our stuff piles up, and we clean it off every few weeks or so.

You can do it!

22 Erica December 2, 2009 at 11:15 am

Ow! Such a yummy looking breakfast. Pear butter? Never heard of such an awesome treat.

The weather is CRAZY in SC- we have tornado warnings. I am hoping it magically goes away so I can run outside this afternoon. I’m jealous of your fabulous run.

Talk to you soon!

23 Andrea December 2, 2009 at 11:19 am

I lack that gene too, which was all good until I moved in with a man who has is a huge neat freak! Enjoy your mess;).

24 Rose December 2, 2009 at 11:20 am

I love the colors on your morning plate!

You can totally get your apartment “redd up” (as they say in Pennsylvania). I like to work in a circular fashion when I clean a room. I treat the room like a clock, and that way I don’t get distracted by this thing over here or that. It’s goofy, but it works for me, and I get done quicker!

25 Runningwriter December 2, 2009 at 11:29 am

I could try to shame you into tidying up but it would make me a complete hyprocrite. I don’t have the domestic gene either. The mood strikes me about 3 times a year and I just go with it then. The rest of the time I just try to keep things tidy or hidden enough not to annoy my neat-freak husband πŸ™‚

26 Erica December 2, 2009 at 11:30 am

I LOVE pear butter! When I was taking chemo last winter, we had a family friend who does a lot of canning and such. He had made some jars of pear butter for me and I’m tellin you, it was FABULOUS!! It sounded good even when nothing else did. I must’ve ate 2 whole jars in between treatments. And I had the added bonus of KNOWING that it was all natural and made with no processed ingredients and knew exactly where it came from. Tasted like it came from the same place his did…his heart;-)

27 sweetandnatural December 2, 2009 at 11:31 am

You’re going to STL! That’s where I grew up! Must seek out – Ted Drewes for a frozen custard concrete, toasted ravioli on restaurant menus, and, if your dare, STL style pizza from Imo’s. It’s really, really thin crust with a unique cheese called Provel, which is a mixture of cheddar, swiss and provolone. Some outsiders think the pizza is weird, but us STL peeps that grew up with it don’t!

28 Emily Elizabeth December 2, 2009 at 11:31 am

How do you get yourself up in the am to run?!? I want to make the switch from afterwork runs to before.

29 Amber December 2, 2009 at 11:31 am

What are you going to St. Louis for? I live in St. Louis! πŸ™‚

30 Meghann December 2, 2009 at 11:36 am

I’m going for a work thing. I was considering organizing a meet up, but since I will be there only on week days with co-workers I’m not sure how practical it would be.

31 iga December 2, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Hi Meghan!

I live in st. louis as well! If you do organize a meet-up I would be super interested in coming…i recently met up with another blogger in the area & had a blast!

I can totally relate to your post on messiness too…sometimes I invite friends over just because I know its the only way ill get my place spotless! ooh & ive also made a modified version of the tessajara salad from 101coolbooks a few weeks back & loved it!

32 Amber December 2, 2009 at 4:03 pm

Does your company have a office here? Are they hiring? πŸ˜‰ I would LOVE a new career right now!

33 Evan Thomas December 2, 2009 at 11:38 am

Pear butter sounds interesting. I imagine it has a bit of a mellow flavor but still refreshing. I love cherry butter–so tart!

34 Julia December 2, 2009 at 11:57 am

That pear butter sounds super yummy! I love unique spreads.
I’m in the same predicament mess wise…I’ve been too focused on studying and exercising to keep myself sane, that I haven’t had time to really clean up – as a result, there are clothes and shoes everywhere, papers scattered around my apartment, and general disarray. Good luck getting it all clean, I’m sure you can do it!

35 Kim December 2, 2009 at 11:58 am

Take some “before” pictures and post them – you’ll want to have clean “after” pictures to show off to us! πŸ™‚

36 Anne Marie@ New Weigh of Life December 2, 2009 at 12:00 pm

I’ve never had pear butter, but it sounds good! I’m the same way with the house-I love when it’s clean, but I hate doing it!

37 Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) December 2, 2009 at 12:02 pm

That pear butter sounds divine. Yum!

Go clean your apartment, silly. πŸ™‚

38 Lisa December 2, 2009 at 12:12 pm

Meghann, I am also missing that girlie gene. I figure that things are clean enough, they’re just going to get messy again, and I would rather spend my time running or something. πŸ™‚ I say don’t worry about it too much. Hmm, oops. Not the answer you wanted to hear! πŸ˜‰

39 allisonisactive December 2, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Haha, I am the same way. My husband is gone during the week for the next few weeks (on business) and I’m kind of letting the house fall apart. The dishes are totally piling up, and I have laundry heaped on my bed. Oh well. I’ll take care of it before he comes home for the weekend – that way, we can do other fun stuff together instead of cleaning the house! πŸ™‚

40 Ironlady December 2, 2009 at 12:35 pm

I’m the same way. I have to just turn on some music and just do it. No thinking because otherwise my couch always looks much more comfy and inviting when I have cleaning to do. Let us know how the pear butter is!

41 Ali December 2, 2009 at 1:17 pm

I am a clean freak! But, I can identify with the strings and stuffing everywhere. Oscar makes the same kind of mess and I just leave it until someone is coming over because as soon as I pick it up, he attacks another toy.

My X-mas decorations are the same way. Putting them up is just overwhelming for me!

42 Holly M. December 2, 2009 at 1:23 pm

Ohh I sooo hear you on missing the spotlessness gene. My mother is a clean freak and cleans everyday. I’m lucky if I get it in once a week. I think its just different today then it was “back then”. I’m a married working gal who is a marathoner so my free time is virtually nonexistent!

But I wish you luck!! Its a great feeling to walk into a clean home! lol

43 Catherine December 2, 2009 at 1:26 pm

I have the exact same problem! I would always prefer to have it be clean, but sometimes it’s like, if I don’t care about the dishes in the sink, why bother? Although, I do find that keeping my kitchen clean is very important in keeping me eating right, because if it’s messy and disorganized, I’m way less likely to cook healthy eats and will end up going out to eat.

44 goodtastehealthyme December 2, 2009 at 1:53 pm

oh you can do it! Just think when you come back it will be completely spotless! That’s always a good feeling!

I live with my bf so I’m constantly slapping his wrist to clean up…but lately I’ve been getting sloppy myself haha. πŸ™‚

45 Morgan @ Life After Bagels December 2, 2009 at 2:00 pm

Meghann I wish I could help you but I’m a slob too. At work I’m always always cleaning or worrying about organization so I honestly cannot bring myself to care that much at home. I always think that I can find things easier if my house is messy because chances are, whatever I’m looking for, is on the floor somewhere! Good thing my BF likes a clean house, he makes me do it.

46 annedell December 2, 2009 at 2:01 pm

I feel your pain! My room looks like a bomb went off in it (or 2 or 3). I need to clean it, but I keep putting it off πŸ™‚

47 Laura December 2, 2009 at 2:19 pm

I can relate, I am cluttered by nature! As a few other readers have suggested, I’ve found it really helps to break the overall task into several, smaller steps.

1. At each commercial break of The Office, I will tackle one of the following: Fold laundry. Walk laundry to bedroom. Put laundry away on hangers / in drawers. Walk one stack of boxes to the dumpster. Etc.

2. Put away new purchases: 1. Find receipts and put in file. 2. Take clothes out of bags and detach tags / file tags with receipts. 3. Hang up / put away clothes. 4. Dispose of or store shopping bags.

You know? This process has really helped me! Plus you get to have fun watching TV or doing another task (working out? cooking?) at the same time.

48 Shion (Shi's Eating) December 2, 2009 at 2:30 pm

How cute is that pear butter?!

I feel that the best way to tackle cleaning is to make a list and just go through each one by one completely. I’m someone who dabbles in cleaning a lot of things but never completely finishes tasks.

Also, after you cleaning-fest, I highly recommend spending 20 minutes each night cleaning one part of your apartment.

Happy Cleaning!

49 Kara December 2, 2009 at 2:44 pm

I am also in need of a HUGE apartment overhaul. It seems like every time I clean, it just gets messy again πŸ™

50 Wendy December 2, 2009 at 3:08 pm

I live about an hour from STL! I’ll be thinking of you on Sunday. πŸ™‚

For the cleaning – you could try using a timer. Set it for 15, 20, 30, or however many minutes, and don’t stop until the timer goes off! I find it helps me stay focused rather than getting side-tracked by the computer or what have you. I also put on music I like to run to – it always gets me moving! Another thing is to try not to look at the whole mess at once b/c you’ll just get overwhelmed. Pick a spot, get started, and keep going!

If you are wanting a method for getting your general life/house/etc. in order, check out flylady.com – she breaks everything into babysteps for you, and her e-mails and website are really upbeat and motivational. The main things from her program (which is free, BTW) that helped me were establishing routines for myself and the weekly “home blessing” hour (basically a quick clean of the whole house). She saved my sanity!

51 Amy December 2, 2009 at 3:24 pm

My bathroom looks almost exactly the same… lol.

I don’t like to do all day cleaning- I’m more of a spot cleaner myself… And when I say spot cleaner, I really just mean I’ll spend the 2 or 3 minutes every commercial break during my hour of tv I get in every night before bed. It’s my justification for tv time…

52 Natalie December 2, 2009 at 3:32 pm

I live in St. Louis! Let me know if you’re having a meet-up, or if you want any recommendations of places! natalie.mclaury@gmail.com

53 meyergirl December 2, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Maybe there’s an organization co. in your area that would help you out for the publicity. πŸ™‚

54 Erin December 2, 2009 at 6:49 pm

I loveeeee cleaning/organizing. Sometimes I wish it were my career. Especially when it’s for other people and not myself πŸ˜‰

I suggest breaking it up too, but I usually break things up by day.
Here’s my suggestion: Tonight: Put clothes away while blasting Christmas music and dancing around. If time, put away purchases. Put bags with pile/stack.
Thursday night: Hang up Christmas decorations while watching TV and/or listening to music.
Friday AM: Before you leave for work, throw half the cardboard out. You can turn it into part of your run! Run to the dumpster!
Friday night: Throw out other half of cardboard. Clean up string/stuffing. If not done, put up the rest of your decorations.
Saturday: relax πŸ™‚

55 Sharon December 2, 2009 at 9:39 pm

Start with 15 minutes of cleaning every day. Otherwise you will become overwhelmed (as if you aren’t already). This works for me. I take 10 minutes when I go home for lunch. This could be hanging up clothes or doing the dishes. These small changes will add up. Think of it as a “game”…how much can you get done in x amount of time. GOOD LUCK πŸ™‚