more ยป" />

Traffic Blows

by Meghann on December 1, 2009

Why did I think it would be a smart idea to go to the mall after work?

Getting what I needed in the mall took 10 minutes, but being stuck in traffic each way took well over an hour. Ughh.. not fun.

I returned home hungry and cranky. It was a good thing I already had a plan for dinner. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I had randomly picked up some Red Cabbage this past Sunday. I made the purchase with no clue what to do with it, so I spent the afternoon googling ideas. I stumbled upon a recipe for Tassajara Warm Cabbage Salad on 101 Cookbooks that looked easy and delicious.

I loosely followed the recipe making slight substitutions here and there with what I had on hand.

The results were amazing! The raisins added a nice sweetness and the seeds gave a great crunch. I highly recommend this recipe to anyone looking for something easy to do with red cabbage. ๐Ÿ™‚

My dinner plate also included Sweet Potato Fries

And the last of my Thanksgiving Turkey.

As you may have noticed, I have been dying to nab a carton of Edy’s Slow Churned Peppermint Ice Cream for a few weeks now. I have seen the sought after Peppermint flavor around, but it has been MIA at my regular Publix. While I was out and about after work, I decided to track down the flavor at another Publix.

Two Publix Supermarkets and one Winn Dixie later I still had no Peppermint Ice Cream. ๐Ÿ™ I was aggravated from traffic and not being able to find what I wanted, so I settled on a single serving of Edy’s Coffee Ice Cream.

I enjoyed my serving with a sprinkle of granola on top.

It is my new mission to track down the peppermint ice cream once and for all! I don’t care if takes a dozen Publixes it will be found and enjoyed. ๐Ÿ˜‰

This afternoon I had the world’s most perfect snack of Apple and Almond Butter.

Anyone else bring their Apple Cutter to work? Just me?

This jar of Naturally Nutty’s Vanilla Almond Butter was on its last leg.

The apple slices were perfect for digging out every last nutty drop.

The Vanilla Almond Butter was a sample sent by the great people at Naturally Nutty and I have to admit it was the best sample any company has ever sent me. In fact I was already checking out the online store and calculating how much it would be to get my hands on another jar. Is it worth $10 per jar? It just might. ๐Ÿ˜‰

—-

While I was stuck in traffic this evening I realized just how little time I have from when I get off of work until I go to bed. If I head home after 5:00 and try to make it in bed by 9:00 that leaves me less than 4 hours to myself in the evening not including the time it takes me to get home, take Maddie out, make dinner, blog, etc. In the end that’s not very long at all. ๐Ÿ™ I think the fact that it gets dark around 5:30 makes it that much more depressing.

Having so little time in the evening is exactly why I make an extra effort to get up earlier in the morning and get my exercise in then. After work is reserved for being a bum. I learned my lesson.

Get your votes in for the Sam-e Good Mood Gig.

Good Night!

1 megzzwinsatlife December 1, 2009 at 10:23 pm

I hear you on the time in the evening.. I get off at 5.. gym from 6-7:30 and then I go to bed around 10.. doesn’t leave me much time either ๐Ÿ™ I defiantly think the fact it gets darker earlier makes it more depressing..

I really would love the opportunity to get up and work out in the morning but I would have to get up around 4:45.. I might try it one day ๐Ÿ™‚

Have a nice evening Meghann!

2 Brie (The Fit Bride) December 1, 2009 at 10:24 pm

Ugh, I know what you mean. There just aren’t enough hours in the day, and I just can’t make myself get up any earlier to work out in the morning! It stinks.

3 Nicci@NE December 1, 2009 at 10:25 pm

Best snack in the world is Almond Butter with a juicy red apple!

4 legalstyle December 1, 2009 at 10:26 pm

Come back to being a professional student and your evening hours will extend well past 9:00 ๐Ÿ™‚

beautiful pictures, meghann! did you bring your rebel to work today bc you had your new camera bag?

what did you find at the mall?

5 Meghann December 2, 2009 at 9:11 am

I brought the rebel to work because I am basically obsessed. The camera bag doesn’t get here for another 3-5 days.

I had a coupon for $10 off at Victoria Secret and I was in desperate need of new underwear. Apparently Maddie has discovered all my dirty panties are her new favorite chew toys.

6 Emily December 1, 2009 at 10:28 pm

I hear you about post-work time. I end work at 8:15 and I can never get to bed as early as I want to. I always end up making some elaborate dinner, blogging, and just needing some down time!

7 Serena December 1, 2009 at 10:35 pm

That stinks that you hit all that traffic and didn’t even find your ice cream! You can use the Edy’s website to see what stores around you have it so you don’t have to go on a wild goose hunt ๐Ÿ™‚

8 Meghann December 2, 2009 at 9:09 am

I’ve tried their searches before for certain flavors, but I’ve discovered they’r not very accurate.

9 Julie December 1, 2009 at 10:36 pm

I totally bring my apple slicer to work. I love eating my apple in pieces, it’s nice and tidy.
It gets dark at 4:30 up here!

10 caitsplate December 1, 2009 at 10:43 pm

Hey Meghann – You could try buying vanilla ice cream and adding peppermint extract or crushed candy canes! ๐Ÿ™‚

11 inmytummy December 1, 2009 at 10:50 pm

I love those single serve Edy’s ice creams. I’ve only seen them at Target around here.

I definitely take my apple cutter to work when I bring an apple. It is the best way to eat them.

12 Karla December 1, 2009 at 10:50 pm

At least you can come home and be a bum! I go home and have 388490298 million pages of reading and papers to write ๐Ÿ™ Ok I’m done complaining! I love being a grad student!!!

13 kbwood December 1, 2009 at 10:52 pm

aww sorry about the peppermint ice cream! i would so share mine if i could!!

i def got that mini coffee ice cream the other day..crumbled some heath bar on it.. MAJOR yum.. and i got the mint chocolate chip-but the coffee was def better

14 Mel @ She Runs Brooklyn December 1, 2009 at 11:03 pm

I feel the same way! Night time is precious me-time. Damn. the man.

15 Christy December 1, 2009 at 11:05 pm

Coffee icecream is sooo delish, but peppermint almost sounds better right now ๐Ÿ˜›

16 Bridget December 1, 2009 at 11:20 pm

Yeah free time during the week is PRECIOUS!!
Now I want to keep an eye out for Eddy’s Peppermint!!

17 Melissa S. December 1, 2009 at 11:28 pm

those single serving ice cream containers are awesome! i had one when i was in fl last spring…

18 caronae December 1, 2009 at 11:37 pm

At first when I heard you say “Cabbage salad” I thought ewww! But then I clicked on the link and it actually looks really good. I might have to try some soon ๐Ÿ™‚

Since I see pumpkin ice cream on your blog so often, I sought it out while I was home for Thanksgiving (my freezer at school isn’t big enough for ice cream!). It was sooooo good. But I only ate about two servings. Can’t wait to have the rest when I’m home for Christmas. Good luck with the peppermint ice cream search!

19 Naomi(onefitfoodie) December 1, 2009 at 11:41 pm

love that apple cutter! its the best, makes apple eating even MORE fun that it usually is ๐Ÿ™‚

peppermint ice cream sounds sooo good! I know you will find it ๐Ÿ™‚

20 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) December 1, 2009 at 11:57 pm

I love peppermint ice cream, it’s so refreshing and wintery!

I know what you mean about the short evenings. I work to squeeze in activity when I can, whether it’s morning or evening – I just want to get moving.

21 Jenna December 1, 2009 at 11:58 pm

almond nut butter sounds soo good! love your creative dinner! i hope you find that peppermint ice cream soon ๐Ÿ™‚
jenna

22 Amanda December 2, 2009 at 12:35 am

You are not alone in feeling depressed about your lack of free time!! I get home from work around 5:45, when it is already dark. Then I usually get stuff organized and head to the gym until 7:45, make/eat dinner, shower, watch tv/hang out with boyfriend, bed by 10:30 … pretty crappy!!

23 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) December 2, 2009 at 12:57 am

Your last blurb is the EXACT reason why I am dreading graduating!! My internship this summer was 8:30-5:30 no ifs ands or buts and it was either wake up at the crack of dawn to workout or workout after work….making it 8pm by the time I finished showering and eating. GAH!!

Maybe that’s why I haven’t applied for jobs yet ๐Ÿ™‚

24 Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) December 2, 2009 at 1:16 am

That apple cutter is one of the best things I have ever seen!

25 Kelly H. (the running phoodie) December 2, 2009 at 1:20 am

I agree- when it starts getting dark out so early I feel like my evenings are cut so short!

26 Julia December 2, 2009 at 1:27 am

I love apple cutters, they make it so much easier!
And that apple with the almond butter looked so yummy!

27 chasingthenow December 2, 2009 at 1:28 am

I feel the same as you about my me time. Mine has been so non-existant lately.

28 Tamzin December 2, 2009 at 6:04 am

I love your apple corer! That is one of my favorite snacks apple and almond butter yum!

29 Runningwriter December 2, 2009 at 6:10 am

We have an apple slicer at work, otherwise I’d bring mine in ๐Ÿ™‚

30 allisonisactive December 2, 2009 at 7:54 am

We have Edy’s peppermint at my Publix in Sarasota. So it must be coming to Orlando soon!!

31 Jessica December 2, 2009 at 8:41 am

They have it at Walmart nation wide…..if you care to venture there..

32 Meghann December 2, 2009 at 9:08 am

I would, but there isn’t a Super Wal-Mart near my apartment. Its a 20 minute drive away. :/

33 rungirlrunn December 2, 2009 at 8:48 am

Edy’s Peppermint is my favorite ice cream of all time! I had to hunt it down too, but I finally found it at Target of all places. Hope you find it soon!

34 Jessie (Vegan-minded) December 2, 2009 at 8:50 am

Yum, that cabbage recipe looks wonderful! I would have never thought to make red cabbage that way, I usually just use it in salads. I also HATE that it gets dark so early now. I feel like I have to rush to make it out the door before dark for an evening run or walk. Not fun. But on the other hand, I am loving the (slightly) cooler weather that comes at this time of year. I guess it’s a good trade off. ๐Ÿ™‚

35 goodtastehealthyme December 2, 2009 at 9:25 am

I hear you on that! I seem to get so down during the winter months cuz it’s just so dark and dreary and cold. I’m a summer girl. ๐Ÿ™‚ I think I need to move south!

36 Whitney @ Lettuce Love December 2, 2009 at 9:32 am

I didn’t think I would ever be jealous of an apple cutter owner but golly! I want one of those ๐Ÿ™‚ I always feel like a barbarian when I bite into apples so I always cut them.

37 Matt December 2, 2009 at 9:34 am

I’ve had that coffee ice cream and it is awesome!

38 Britt - Runnerbelle December 2, 2009 at 9:35 am

Agreed, morning workouts are where it is at! Especially with less daylight and the holiday craziness. Although running in the morning darkness isn’t the greatest, I worry about how awake drivers are….but at least I’m getting my run in.

Yummy looking dinner!

39 Paige@ Running Around Normal December 2, 2009 at 9:51 am

Your dinner looks amazing! I’ve never made red cabbage either.
And can I just totally agree with you that that’s the BEST nut butter ever?! The Great Harvest here sells it, and I just used my last drop of it Monday for OIAJ. Pure yumness, haha.
Have a great day, Meghann!

40 Sarah Jayne December 2, 2009 at 11:32 am

Naturally Nutty is made where I live- the almond butter sells for $6 a jar at the store by me ๐Ÿ™‚ If you ever need some, I would gladly hook you up!

41 eaternotarunner December 2, 2009 at 11:38 am

Love all the Edy’s flavors! Good luck on your search ๐Ÿ™‚

Also that almond butter looks TOO good!

42 Graze With Me December 2, 2009 at 1:49 pm

I don’t have an apple slicer like that but I do keep a knife at work, I’m dangerous….

43 Lauren December 2, 2009 at 3:31 pm

I’m in the same boat as far as not much time after work. But I either get off at 6, 7, or 8. And I ALWAYS hit traffic on my way home which takes up to another hour! It can get very depressing, and I start going to bed later and later. I try to learn from you and wake up earlier, but I love my sleep. And I agree that it is even harder now that it gets darker earlier. I guess I need to make more of an effort to wake up earlier. I am going to try that cabbage recipe. yummy!

44 Beth December 2, 2009 at 7:17 pm

OMG–PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not leave your Mac in the kitchen near any liquid or anything you are cooking! Trust me, I spent 800 bucks last week having my brand new mac repaired from spilling a LITTLE bit of water on there!

45 Karen whitlock December 2, 2009 at 8:49 pm

I agree! Those naturally nutty butters are absolutely worth it! I bought a case. ๐Ÿ™‚