My Evening in the Kitchen

by Meghann on November 25, 2009

I am wiped!

Preparing for Thanksgiving takes alot out of a person. All the prepping, chopping, cooking and baking is exhausting. Good thing I know it will all be worth it tomorrow. πŸ˜‰

After creeping my way through holiday traffic, I was put straight to work as soon as I walked through the door this afternoon.

Kelly and I were sporting the cicra 1990 aprons. Hot, right?

A couple of weeks ago I had committed to bringing a vegetable dish, a pumpkin dessert, and homemade cranberry sauce to the Thanksgiving festivities tomorrow.

One of my Aunt’s had originally agreed to bring a can of cranberry sauce, but I couldn’t bare the thought. The homemade version is 10 times better and is always worth the time and effort this time of year.

The William Sonoma recipe for Apple-Orange Cranberry Sauce was such a success last year, I couldn’t wait to make it again.

Dig the whole cinnamon stick in there. πŸ˜‰

I followed the directions to a T and allowed the sauce to simmer on low for a couple of hours before the texture was perfect.

While I was working on the cranberry sauce, my sister and mother were working on the apple pie. My Mom initially wasn’t planning on making one, but what’s Thanksgiving without apple pie?!?!

IMG_9752.JPG IMG_9753.JPG

My Mom’s Apple Pie is hands down amazing. She prepares it all from scratch solely by memory. She makes it look so easy. Love it!

We were *this close* to talking her into cutting into it tonight. πŸ˜‰

During the course of the afternoon I was also able to prep the vegetables I plan to roast tomorrow.

(Butternut Squash, Brussels Sprouts, Parsnips, & Beets)

And had a slice of Pumpkin Bread that my Mom had baked a couple days ago.

Yum!

It was interesting having three dogs in the kitchen this evening. Each of them are the worst beggers. So pitiful.

In the above photo Maddie is saying “Sorry for being such a pain last week Aunt Kelly! I love you!”

Nobody was feeling very creative or adventurous for dinner, so when the idea of build your own pizzas was thrown out we all instantly jumped on it. We picked up two prepared pizza doughs from the Publix Deli and got to work.

Kelly and I split a multi-grain crust while my Mom and Dad shared the regular crust.

Saucing it up.

Toppings bar

Mine & Kelly’s Pizza was topped with a colorful array of vegetables, ham, and cheese.

Mom & Dad’s was loaded with lots of meat and cheese.

I have had the oddest fascination with raisins lately. They made a killer pizza topping.

In total I had 1.5 gigantic slices of my half of the pizza.

It was delicious. I’m telling you the raisins made the pizza. Give it a try – you won’t be disappointed!

The results of my parent’s deep dish pizza looked pretty amazing as well.

Nothing goes better with a piece of pizza than a nice cold bottle of beer.

Once the idea of Apple Pie for dessert was given a big NO, I settled on a small bowl of Twisted Pretzel ice Cream instead.

My Dad was giving this ice cream a big thumbs down, but how can you go wrong with chocolate covered pretzels? I loved it!

I am hoping I can talk Kelly into a decent 6 mile run bright and early tomorrow morning. Its been much to long since we have completed a run together.

Time for bed! Good night everyone!

Vote. Vote. Vote. πŸ™‚

1 legalstyle November 25, 2009 at 10:45 pm

I’m so, so sad that I won’t be going home this year for Thanksgiving. It’s moments like this with my family that I’ll miss the most.

2 Hallie November 25, 2009 at 10:48 pm

I am obsessed with dried figs on pizza so I can imagine how raisins would be good too, actually. Happy Thanksgiving Eve!

3 Nicci@NE November 25, 2009 at 10:51 pm

Pizza’s look great!

4 Jocelyn November 25, 2009 at 11:27 pm

mmm…the apple pie looks and sounds amazing … So does your cranberry sauce. Yum yum! Enjoy tomorrow!

5 melissa s. November 25, 2009 at 11:36 pm

run 6.2! i’ll pretend like you and kelly are running my 10k with me tomorrow morning!!!!

all the eats look awesome though! nom nom!

6 Kara November 25, 2009 at 11:44 pm

Look at all those phenomenal fruits and veggies! I wish I could jump through the screen to eat that apple pie! πŸ™‚

7 Kara November 25, 2009 at 11:57 pm

That cranberry sauce recipe sounds really good and just different enough… but still traditional. Ya know?

8 allijag November 26, 2009 at 12:01 am

You know I just adore your family – but the dogs are just the icing on the cake! Love the picture of the 3 of them begging – it melted my heart! They would all be fatties if they lived with me because I wouldn’t be able to say no to them! πŸ™‚

Have a great Thanksgiving lady! πŸ™‚

9 00kate November 26, 2009 at 12:08 am

We made pie tonight too! And my dad and I tried to convince my mom that we should eat it tonight – apparently her vote outweighs ours πŸ™ So no pie until tomorrow. Have fun with your 6 mile run! I’m doing a 10k turkey trot, too.

Happy running and have a great holiday!

10 chasingthenow November 26, 2009 at 12:12 am

I agree with your dad on the ice cream vote. No pretzels for me! And too bad about the pie, but it will be even better tomorrow!!!

11 Liz November 26, 2009 at 12:19 am

I love the photo of you and Kelly in your aprons and the one of the three pups! Enjoy your thanksgiving tomorrow. I ashamed to admit it, but I prefer canned cranberry jelly to the homemade stuff!

12 Danielle November 26, 2009 at 12:24 am

Looks like a wonderful way to spend “Thanksgiving Eve”. I also love the picture of you and Kelly with your aprons and the three dogs in the kitchen – classic!

Aww, it’s so nice to see Kelly, too! Please tell her we miss her blog posts and hope that she is doing well πŸ™‚

Happy Thanksgiving!
Danielle

13 biz319 November 26, 2009 at 1:00 am

Love Sam Adams Oktoberfest!!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! πŸ˜€

14 jennylikestorun November 26, 2009 at 1:00 am

Food sounds amazing! Can’t wait to hear all about how great it will taste πŸ™‚
The dogs are soo cute and I think yours and kelly’s aprons and awesome πŸ˜€ haha

Even though I’m from New Zealand, Happy Thanksgiving!

15 kbwood November 26, 2009 at 1:38 am

sounds like so much fun and so much good eating! have a GREAT thanksgiving with your fam πŸ™‚

16 girltweetseats November 26, 2009 at 5:06 am

That’s it. This weekend I’m making homemade pizzas. YUM. Unsure about the raisins though -perhaps I’ll put a little on a tiny part of it!
Enjoy your Thanksgiving and I hope Kelly says yes to that run with you! Great way to start a big day of eating!

17 Runningwriter November 26, 2009 at 5:37 am

I wish we had Thanksgiving here, and that you catered for it ;). That all looks so delicious.
The dogs are too cute, as are you girls in the aprons.

18 VeggieGirl November 26, 2009 at 8:26 am

You’re a kitchen queen!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!! πŸ™‚

19 ClassroomConfessions November 26, 2009 at 11:40 am

Oh gosh! That pic of the 3 puppies begging is too cute! I showed my whole family πŸ™‚

Girl you are a whiz in the kitchen! I am so jealous. My mom stayed up like all night cooking and all I am making this year is the mashed potatoes. I guess it’s something!

20 Christine November 26, 2009 at 12:02 pm

This makes me sooo hungry! Looks like Thanksgiving dinner will be awesome in your house!!

21 Jenna November 26, 2009 at 12:45 pm

omg i made brussel sprouts and butternut squash with chestnuts as well!
the pic of the dogs is soo cute.
all your food looks delish! i must try raisins on my pizza next time!
jenna

22 Christy November 26, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Hahaha! The picture of the doggies is so funny! Looks like my dogs πŸ˜€ The come running when they hear any noise in the kitchen

23 Liz November 26, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Homemade pizza is the best. Hands down. Looks delicious too. Whenever I’m at my parents’ I love making pizza because they have a pizza stone that connects into their oven. Makes it “authentic” :-).

PS- If you and Kelly are looking for some circa now aprons to update your collection you should check out my mom’s site, http://www.ethoughtfulthings.com. She has lots of nice aprons along with other fashion accessories…personally, I love the headbands she carries!

24 Courtney November 26, 2009 at 5:09 pm

Those photos are so beautiful – thank you for sharing! It looks like you have some lovely family traditions. I am going to look at the williams sonoma recipe, I have some fresh crans and no Idea what to do with them! πŸ™‚

Happy Thanksgiving!

I also ran a 10k this morning – the Give N Gobble … I didn’t run as fast, but still, a sub 9 minute mile! Great way to start the day if you ask me!

25 Erin November 26, 2009 at 8:40 pm

That pizza looks delicious! I’ve never thought of raisins on a pizza, but it definitely sounds interesting!

26 Lauren November 30, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Oh my gosh-all the food looks amazing! I love making my own pizzas! And I bet your homemade cranberry sauce was awesome. Home made is always better.