15 Bean Soup

by Meghann on November 23, 2009

I <3 Soup!

Especially warm, filling comfort soup.

I had half a bag of 15 bean soup that had been in my cupboard for over a year and in the spirt of the Thanksgiving challenge I decided it had to be on the menu for dinner tonight.

The dried beans soaked in a can of a Vegetable Broth with an array of spices while I was at work all day. When I returned home I sauteed a small onion, garlic, kale, and the last of my Boccalone Salami from my Foodbuzz Festival swag bag. Once the onions were soft I added the beans and another can of vegetable broth to the pot. I brought everything to a boil for 5 minutes, then let it simmer for another 90.

The results were very rich and satisfying. Yum!

On the side I had a piece of reheated cornbread that I pulled from the freezer.

Dessert was 1/2 of one of Amanda’s Peanut Butter Cup Blondie with some Coconut Milk Chocolate Ice Cream.

All I have in the fridge at the moment is chocolate ice cream – not my favorite. I can’t wait to buy a container of Peppermint Ice Cream in the very near future. πŸ˜‰

This afternoon I had a serving of Blueberry Granola Clusters as a snack.

More Packing…

I am not leaving for my parent’s until Wednesday, but I am already preparing for the 4 day trip. This afternoon I emptied out my suite case from this past weekend and have begun filling it for the next. I feel like I am living out of my suit case at the moment, but its all been worth it.

Are you traveling at all for Thanksgiving this week?

Don’t forget to get your votes in!! πŸ™‚

1 Runtothefinish November 23, 2009 at 9:09 pm

Kinda glad not to be traveling after 6 flights last week, but I will miss the fam. Wow 15 bean never heard of that

2 Nicole November 23, 2009 at 9:10 pm

15 beans! That sounds tasty. I hope to find it somewhere!

3 Katie November 23, 2009 at 9:12 pm

Staying home for the first year in a LONG time. I have been there. I was gone almost every weekend for a month it was got to be tough!

That soup sounds delicious. Good way to be thrifty πŸ˜‰ I went out and bought stuff at the grocery store. I’m no good at the challenge. Probably why I didn’t achieve it.

4 Christie November 23, 2009 at 9:15 pm

My grandmother used to make 15 bean soup for us all the time when I was a child — I used to call it 25 bean soup. I get happy when I see it because it always makes me think about her. πŸ™‚

5 Karla November 23, 2009 at 9:27 pm

I’m going to my boyfriend’s parent’s house since flying back to California is way too expensive and they live within driving distance. I’m excited to see him, since it’s been over a month! Long distance sucks!

It’ll be great to see him but I miss my family πŸ™

6 Evan Thomas November 23, 2009 at 9:46 pm

I’m travelling home! That’s the best place to travel because so much of my stuff is already there! Taking all the food out of my dorm will be a hassle, though

7 Simone @ P:T November 23, 2009 at 9:46 pm

Hah!…I just pulled out my suitcase a few minutes ago to start packing for my Wednesday flight too!!

8 Kristen November 23, 2009 at 9:49 pm

If you’re in the mood for mint ice cream–get So Delicious’s coconut milk mint chip ice cream!! It’s sooo good–and I don’t even like mint ice cream =P

9 Haleigh November 23, 2009 at 9:51 pm

Mmm… a big pot of soup on a chilly day, there is nothing quite like it. Leftover soup is always a plus too!

10 Erica November 23, 2009 at 9:52 pm

The soup looks fabulous! I am such a soup fan too!! Especially full of yummy and filling beans. We are traveling and I started packing today too. We’re bringing Frank and all of Josh’s family’s christmas presents too so I feel like we have SO much to put in the car! Eeek!

11 thefitbride November 23, 2009 at 9:53 pm

Um, I’ll take the chocolate ice cream you don’t want. Thanks!

12 Jamie November 23, 2009 at 9:54 pm

I had soup like that for dinner tonight too! Such a perfect & complete meal on a fall/winter night (even though you are in FL and I am freezing cold Ny… but still)
Have a good night!

13 Katy @ These Beautiful Feet November 23, 2009 at 9:54 pm

I’m traveling to Jacksonville for a couple of days! Really excited. It’s at least 2 hours north so hopefully it’ll feel chillier then it has hear. Here’s to wishful thinking!

14 VeggieGirl November 23, 2009 at 9:54 pm

Nope! Everyone’s coming to my house πŸ™‚

15 Erin November 23, 2009 at 9:55 pm

That soup looks delicious! πŸ™‚ I’m going to my grandparents’ for Thanksgiving but they only live about an hour away so it’s not very far. This is my first Thanksgiving back in the US in THREE years though so I’m VERY excited about that! πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

16 Erin November 23, 2009 at 9:57 pm

I really want some soup right now. It’s freezing in my apartment! Of course, we could break down and put the heat on πŸ™‚

I’m going to my parents house for Turkey Day in Connecticut – then we’re going to New Jersey for the weekend after that. So excited!

17 Jenna November 23, 2009 at 9:58 pm

I am going home to my mom’s for four days too. Although I have a little bit longer of a trip. Mine is from MN to TX. I am so excited!

18 Danielle November 23, 2009 at 10:11 pm

That soup looks amazing! Yum!

Carl and I are going a few hours south tomorrow afternoon to spend Thanksgiving with our families. We are from the same hometown so we shuttle back and forth between their houses and try to alternate who we stay with. It’s good and bad but I can’t wait until we get a bigger house (one day!) so they can put us in the rotation.

How long are you going to be with your family?
Danielle

19 Jessie (Vegan-minded) November 23, 2009 at 10:12 pm

Mmm, I love hearty bean soups like that. I’m not going anywhere for the holiday, but I’m looking forward to lots of rest and relaxation at home. Looks like we will be having some great weather in SoFla over the weekend, so I am going to take full advantage. πŸ™‚

20 Jenna November 23, 2009 at 10:20 pm

that soup looks delish meghann and so does your dessert (obvs) and those blueberry clusters!
jenna

21 Britt November 23, 2009 at 10:27 pm

Awesome looking soup! We are headed out of town just for the day, I’m looking forward to it as we haven’t seen this side of the family in awhile.

22 Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) November 23, 2009 at 10:29 pm

That soup looks so good! Actually, everything does, as usual. πŸ™‚

23 Shannon (The Daily Balance) November 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm

I also <3 soup! So happy it is soup weather — despite the cold πŸ˜‰

Luckily, both me and the Mister's parents live in the area, so we don't have to go far for the holidays!

Safe travels!

24 Matt November 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm

I’ll be going home from Wednesday to Sunday. I feel like I haven’t been home in ages!

25 skinnyrunner November 23, 2009 at 10:39 pm

we’re leaving tonight to go to oregon but our flight’s been delayed 80 mins! blah.

26 ashleigh November 23, 2009 at 10:50 pm

that bean soup looks interesting. i have seen a few different types of soup like that and always wondered if they were any good. my cupboard is full of soups i need to use up too. i love making my own so i never really use the mixes/cans anymore.

I’m going to my parents house in maine. only a two hour or so drive from MA.

27 Melissa S. November 23, 2009 at 11:11 pm

the soup sounds great! i’m ready to make some with the very little bit of leftover pumpkin i have from my baking fest…

and packing…just remember to bring your sports bras, socks and running shoes. what else do we really need? hahaha.

28 cookeatreadsleep November 23, 2009 at 11:53 pm

Perfect meal for the weather!

I am traveling to my parents house tomorrow– 2.5 hours in the car, just me and a 3-month old puppy.

29 Deirdre November 24, 2009 at 12:07 am

I’ve never made soup, but you make it look so easy.

I’m leaving tomorrow morning to fly home to Cleveland. I am sooo excited!

30 kbwood November 24, 2009 at 12:12 am

yummayyy.. today was such a soup day..and i love cornbread!

31 Lisa November 24, 2009 at 12:16 am

I LOVE soup – particulary in the colder months! There is nothing better than the warm feeling in your tummy after indulging in a warm vegetable-rich soup!
It is getting warm in Australia now though so salads are starting to make an appearance on the menu….

32 EatingRD November 24, 2009 at 12:35 am

mmm that looks like more of a hearty stew than a soup! yummy, soup is the best
We’re traveling to visit family that just moved to a cabin in colorado for their retirement. Being from Vegas, I will probably freeze my tushy off since their highs have been in the teens! yikes! But it will be fun to visit πŸ™‚ Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

33 Christy November 24, 2009 at 2:12 am

Yeah, I’m traveling with my family to visit our aunt, uncle, & cousins up in Georgia! Can’t wait for a little bit of the colder weather… I can only handle being chilly for a few days @ a time! πŸ™‚

34 Bridget November 24, 2009 at 2:41 am

Your soup looks AMAZING. πŸ˜€ I’m looking forward to some peppermint ice cream when I come to the states during Christmas and New Year’s.

Yesterday was the combined holiday of Labor Day and Thanksgiving. Due to a stomach virus, it was the first Thanksgiving that I’ve never celebrated. πŸ™ But, it’s less than a month until I’m back for a couple of weeks, so I’m still thankful.

Have a happy and safe 4-day weekend!!

35 Nicole November 24, 2009 at 4:14 am

Every single time you pull out that cornbread, I really feel the need to make some myself!

That is great that you get to be with your family for Thanksgiving! Since I can’t, the hubby and I are going on a cruise to see the Canary Islands, Morocco, Barcelona, etc. I miss my fam a lot though!

36 healthy ashley November 24, 2009 at 7:48 am

We’re driving all around Florida… but I wish we were going farther!

I love your soup!

37 allisonisactive November 24, 2009 at 7:49 am

We’re just staying in Florida (Thanksgiving is too close to Christmas, so we don’t travel home to Michigan for both). However, we are visiting some Michigander friends in Daytona!

38 Quinn November 24, 2009 at 10:52 am

I LOVE 15 Bean Soup! It is one of my favorite Sunday night fall/winter meals. Served with a hunk of French baguette and some brie? Seriously, it makes the meal.

Have a safe trip to the ‘rents. We’re leaving for NYC tomorrow to stay with our inlaws through Saturday. Look for me as a bystander at the Macy’s Day Parade on Thursday!

39 Tina November 24, 2009 at 11:35 am

Wow that soup looks awesommeee! I’m not traveling for Thanksgiving unfortunately πŸ™ I wish I was going home to Seattle, but it’s a little too expensive for a short weekend. Luckily, I have relatives here to take care of me!

40 meyergirl November 29, 2009 at 8:07 pm

My husband LOVES peppermint ice cream. Since it’s impossible to find any other time of year I’ve actually considered making it.