Pandora Jams

by Meghann on November 20, 2009

First off I have another new obsession – the Glee inspired station on Pandora! Not only does it play songs as performed by the Glee cast, but it has a great mix of Disney and other musical inspired songs. I have been jamming to Hairspray, Rent, and Grease at my desk all morning.

Have I ever mentioned that I was a huge musical theatre buff in High School?

I had it in my head that I was going to be a famous actress one day. I was in a few plays and did the whole drama camp thing, but it was painfully obvious that I couldn’t carry a tune and had no rhythm at all.

It was still fun and if I had the opportunity to perform on stage I would do it again in a heart beat!

Any other former musical theater stars out there?

My snack this morning was definitely on the sweet side. A serving of Pumpkin Spice Trail Mix from Target.

IMG_5816

I loved this trail mix last year, but now I think it made me a tad too sweet to handle on its own. Perhaps it would make a better overnight oats or yogurt topping?

Thanks to the Thanksgiving Challenge my fridge appears to be a bit on the empty side and oddly enough my pantry has seen better days as well. All my pantry staples seem to have disappeared!  The one downside to the Thanksgiving Challenge is I can tell its going to be a very expensive trip to the grocery store once the challenge is over. I will need to restock all the staples I would usually replace on a here and there basis. This got me thinking that the bloated trip may cancel out the idea of saving money during the challenge if I just spend all the extra money once the month is over on stuff I would have been buying through the month in the first place. Thoughts?

In any case I headed to the freezer for lunch.

IMG_5819

Leftover Chili with spinach and brie

IMG_5822

IMG_5827

Leftover Cornbread

IMG_5824

Perfect Meal 🙂

IMG_5825

For a Good Cause…

A wonderful blog reader, Kellie, just signed up for her first full marathon in February and has pledged to raise $500 for the Free Wheelchair Mission. If you have a dollar to spare please check out Kellie’s fundraising site and support a great cause! 🙂

*** Don’t forget to keep the votes coming!! ***

1 anne November 20, 2009 at 3:11 pm

But It’s always good to clean out your pantry and fridge… that way things don’t go to waste. I like to eat what I have before replenishing out of habit.

2 jennylikestorun November 20, 2009 at 3:12 pm

I’m a HUGE theatre bum haha. I’ve been in so many musical productions that I think I’ve actually lost count! I’ve got to play some totally awesome characters (like Colombia in “The Rocky Horror Picture Show”) and some not so awesome characters… (The gullible, plain jane in a show called “I Love The Knightlife”). Musicals are my passion! And I love Rent too. I have the DVD. My fav musical though is probably Chicago. Oh, I’ve done a skit where I played Roxie from Chicago aswell!

I’m quite the singer and actress, although I intend to pursue a career in personal training 🙂

3 bobbi November 20, 2009 at 3:16 pm

mmm your lunch looks yummy! Need to check out this Glee???

4 Karla November 20, 2009 at 3:21 pm

I love musicals! I can’t carry a tune to save my ilfe, but I love Hairspray and Chicago!

The movie versions are nice but watching them live is SO much better. I saw Hairspray on broadway and Ashley Angel (remember the original “Making the Band” way back when…?) was Link Larkin. haha that made is so much better!

5 Kara November 20, 2009 at 3:22 pm

I was a THEATRE kid, but not musical. I almost majored in it!

Also, I also LOVE that trail mix. Last year I bought like 5 bags at the end of the season to stock up! Now I’m not sure if I want it this year lol.

6 Kristie Lynn November 20, 2009 at 3:27 pm

I have thought the same thing about grocery money challenges. Or the ones to use up all the food in your pantry. I mean, I guess they work if you aren’t someone who uses the food in your pantry, but if you do… well, then you’ve just got an expensive grocery trip at the end/beginning of the month 🙂 It is interesting to see how little you can get by on, though!

7 Liz November 20, 2009 at 3:39 pm

That is what I have always thought about these grcery challenges too – it would just set me up to overspend before and after. I’m a hard core budgeter and I started setting a pretty strict food budget each month that includes eating out as well as groceries. It keeps my $$ situation on track pretty well.

On an unrelated note, we can no longer access Pandora in Canada which makes me sad. I used to love it.

8 brandi November 20, 2009 at 3:52 pm

I love musicals, too! Always have.

9 tlconrad November 20, 2009 at 3:55 pm

I really l ike Brie cheese, but i am totally weirded out by the rind. The first time I had it I had to call my mother and ask her how to get the cardboard off it. Now i totally cut it off and just eat the middle part. I see you ate the rind though. Interesting…

10 Suzanne November 20, 2009 at 3:57 pm

I actually was planning to go to New York after graduation and try to be an actress. I majored in drama in college and minored in dance hoping to pursue musical theater. I lost the ambition and work for the government now lol. Very different… I am obsessed with Glee, though!

11 thefitbridesmaid November 20, 2009 at 4:04 pm

YAY MUSICAL THEATER! I have only watched glee once and it wasn’t great. But I’m going to give it a second chance. It was the wheelchair episode. So much drama and bad acting. But the musical number was GREAT!

I also thought that I was going to be a famous actress. Here I sit at my structural engineering firm writing reports on seismic analysis.

Oh well, still dance and play bells once a week. Hopefully back to musical theater next year.

12 Jenna November 20, 2009 at 4:05 pm

yeah that does make sense because when the challenge is over your grocery bill will be larger and just making up for the whole month when you didn’t buy!
jenna

13 Therese November 20, 2009 at 4:10 pm

I was a total musical geek in grade school! I had leads in “Guys and Dolls” and “Godspell” in eighth grade. In another life I guess I would have liked to follow that path!

Maybe the point of the challenge is to learn what things aren’t absolutely NECESSARY on a week to week basis. By being so frugal throughout the month you can see if is possible to live without certain luxuries you normally would buy out of impulse? I can’t really say because I didn’t participate…

14 megan November 20, 2009 at 4:19 pm

I can’t sing or act at all! But I can play the piano 🙂 I was in the orchestra for a few high school musicals. Definitely a fun experience!

15 Anne Marie@ New Weigh of Life November 20, 2009 at 4:25 pm

I just discovered the Glee radio station. I LOVE it! I was a theater girl in high school-it was awesome being in the theater program.

16 Erin November 20, 2009 at 4:26 pm

I was the same way in high school and still LOVE musical theatre (and all theatre). I try to go as much as possible. 🙂 Didn’t know there was a Glee station on Pandora — must check that out right NOW!

17 sisrocks1996 November 20, 2009 at 4:43 pm

People have some great causes going on!

I have never been on Pandora but anything that will play DIsney can’t be all bad 😉

Yea I usually wonder the same thing going w/o means more later on. Somethings are just needed! I love that you always have leftovers in the freezer. I wish I did that more often because I am often starving with nothing made and too hungry to cook anything!

18 Emily November 20, 2009 at 4:58 pm

I was a total musical theatre geek. I still love all my theatre friends from high school. I didn’t pursue acting, but I am a professional classical musician, so I still get to perform all the time.

19 meyergirl November 20, 2009 at 5:06 pm

mmmm….brie…

20 Megan November 20, 2009 at 5:29 pm

Fuuny, I just discovered the Glee station on Pandora the other day. After watching Wed’s amazing episode I *needed* more Glee. Def was not in the theater scene in HS, I hate being center of attention and can’t sing, but I’ve always loved musicals and have a very very talented hubby!

21 Evan Thomas November 20, 2009 at 5:45 pm

I was in Bye Bye Birdie but it was completely because of neccesity, it was that or the techy crew

22 eaternotarunner November 20, 2009 at 6:27 pm

Chili with Brie? Looks soooo good! And Glee is so fun I love it 🙂

23 Sarah November 20, 2009 at 6:36 pm

I just discovered this pandora station yesterday!! OMG it’s fantastic! Perfect mix of glee, disney, rent, and michael buble (wonder how he got in there).

oh and your chili looks AMAZING!!!!

24 Caroline November 20, 2009 at 7:02 pm

Dude, thanks to you tweeting about this station I was rocking out all. freaking. day. The only thing that got me through!

25 Matt November 20, 2009 at 7:17 pm

I think you are right about the challenge. Basically instead of new stuff, you are using stuff you already had, but eating the same amount of food. It has to run out at some point.

26 luckytastebuds November 20, 2009 at 7:47 pm

I used to love pandora…until i hit my quota this month and they won’t let me listen anymore till i pay!!! MEANIES. I hit up aol radio now, and it’s absolutely free and has ALL the radio stations you want, including aol’s own stations that don’t have commercials! 🙂 Check it out!!

DANG your cornbread looks better than the stuff they sell at Whole Foods!! And more moist than the ones i bake. 🙁 *blush*

P.s. I’m having a big bad giveaway you would love (think peanut butter!!!) hehehe Definitely stop by if you’re interested and hope you have a great weekend!!

27 snackface November 20, 2009 at 8:02 pm

Love this. Not only was I a huge, happy musical freak, I was also in the plays and the honors jazz ensemble (choir). And I was on the golf team. Now tell me which one of those doesn’t scream “nerd.” Oh that’s right, they ALL scream that. Hahaha I had a blast doing it, though!

28 Nicole November 20, 2009 at 8:51 pm

I was in Annie when I was younger. I even had a singing part! I like to be a nerd watch the tape sometimes 😀

29 Sarah November 20, 2009 at 10:52 pm

Hi Meghann, I’ve been reading for a while, but never commented before. I was never in a musical, but love love love watching them!! I was so excited when I saw both you and Kath talking about the Glee station on Pandora, but I found out I can’t get Pandora in Canada 🙁 Keep up the great work, I love your meal ideas!

30 Kellie Morgan November 20, 2009 at 11:56 pm

Thanks so much for mentioning Free Wheelchair Mission. If anyone wants to sponsor me it looks like they have to click on “sponsor participant” and then enter Kellie Morgan. Thank you again

31 TorontoGirloutWest November 21, 2009 at 2:06 am

I love GLEE something fierce!!!!!!!!! It totally reminds me of High school!!!! 🙂

I wasn’t a musical theatre buff but I was a total music person. I basically lived in the rehearsal room and ditto for my friends. In fact we used to sit there jaming just for fun.

We all played in orchestra (both chamber and regular), I played in a band, we sang in a chamber choir AND a show tunes choir. I LOVED those days!!!! In fact, I often still find myself wishing I had a creative outlet like that even now.

32 maren November 21, 2009 at 3:12 pm

oh man i LOVE that pumpkin spice trail mix. kinda sweet, yes. but addicting!

33 Anne November 22, 2009 at 7:35 am

For me the thanksgiving challenge is about eating all the foods I keep in my pantry that I don’t eat on a regular basis (I could have easily bought oatmeal for example, because it’s so cheap, but I chose to eat all the other breakfast-y items I have laying around first; next month I’ll go back to my beloved oatmeal).

I don’t like wasting food, but/and I have entirely too much food (not staples) in my house.

Also, it makes me realize what I think is really special to me right now, and what I could easily do without. To think about what I have and need to use up instead of buying new and to find creative ways to cook with food I bought but did not necessarily like.