My Thoughts on Vegan 4 a Day

by Meghann on November 19, 2009

I was in a bit of a rush for dinner this evening.

I had to drop Maddie off at my sister’s for the weekend and only had about 20 minutes to prepare and eat my dinner. In typical Meghann fashion when in a rush simply pull all edible elements from the fridge, combine, and enjoy!

From the fridge I pulled onion, canned pears, artichoke hearts, cherry tomatoes, acorn squash, and brussel sprouts. I heated it all up on the stove top and served it on top of a bed of wilted spinach and drizzled a balsamic reduction on top.

Served with Kashi Crackers

Yes, this meal was vegan, but it was also something I would have happily prepared and ate whether I was trying to be vegan for a day or not. πŸ™‚

Dessert was a bit disheartening.

My favorite frozen yogurt place just happens to be on my sister’s side of town and I don’t have the opportunity to drive by it very often. I was very tempted to pull over and grab a treat, but in the spirit of being vegan for a day and the Thanksgiving Challenge I waited until I made it home and had a Brown Rice Cake with Almond Butter and Vegan Dark Chocolate Chips. πŸ™‚

Earlier I had a serving of Quaker Oatmeal Squares as my afternoon snack.

My Thoughts on Vegan for a Day…

I have to admit eating vegan for the day was quite a challenge. However, the challenge wasn’t in finding vegan friendly meals & snacks or feeling satisfied after those meals or snacks. The challenge stemmed from the fact I wasn’t 100% mentally committed to being vegan. In order to be completely satisfied as a vegan one has to be totally committed to that state of mind and I am not ready for that nor do I think I ever will be.

For me it drills down to the simple fact that dairy does not bother my stomach and I find organic dairy and locally raised meat to be humane alternatives to factory farming. I am a foodie at heart. I also love to try new foods that will on occasion contain meat or dairy. Living under the assumption I could not enjoy my favorite treats only makes me want them more. If someone told me to give up carbs for the day or week I would have the same reaction.

I believe the vegan diet is a healthy, obtainable one, but its not for me. Everyone needs to find what works for them and eating organic dairy and meat in moderation works for me. πŸ™‚

Can I still count on your votes?

1 Jenna November 19, 2009 at 10:16 pm

i agree with what you said! i definitely think i could not be vegan for very long. i love my food but i also try to eat organicly as well πŸ™‚
jenna

2 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) November 19, 2009 at 10:18 pm

Thanks for the reminder to vote, of course you have mine! I think it is great that you tried vegan for a day and decided it is not for you. I think it all goes back to “don’t knock it till you try it” and you did just that.

I’ve always enjoyed reading your blog because you make such interesting meals and you definitely get a good balance of everything, which works for you πŸ™‚

Have a good night!

3 Sagan November 19, 2009 at 10:21 pm

“The challenge stemmed from the fact I wasn’t 100% mentally committed to being vegan. In order to be completely satisfied as a vegan one has to be totally committed to that state of mind and I am not ready for that nor do I think I ever will be.”

GREAT observation! I eat mostly-vegan… which means that I eat vegan at home but when I’m out of the house I’m an omnivore… and I find that it’s what works best for my body. Everyone’s different and we have to do what’s right for listening to our own bodies. That’s the way to have a healthy relationship between mind and body!

4 Joyce November 19, 2009 at 10:23 pm

I totally agree with you, I can respect those that are vegan however it’s not a lifestyle option for me. I don’t eat much meat but once in awhile it’s going to what is on my plate. Just finished voting! Best wishes!

5 Evan Thomas November 19, 2009 at 10:28 pm

I couldn’t agree more with your closing thought! I appreciate people who choose it as their lifestyle, but it’s not for me. So long as the animal product is harvested in a humane way, I plan on enjoying it. I also feel like veganism is so much more than food; it’s the kind of close you wear the toothpaste and chapstick you use, etc., and to really experience it would be something so much more

6 Matt November 19, 2009 at 10:46 pm

This just shows that you can make a healthy meal quickly that isn’t McDonalds πŸ™‚

I totally agree with you on being vegan.I don’t see anything wrong with organic dairy and meat (that is actually all I buy). I think veganism is more than just not eating animal products; it is a complete lifestlye change.

7 ashleigh November 19, 2009 at 11:01 pm

mmm dinner looks so good! being a vegan is challenging. I am a vegetarian and have been one forever but i refuse to be vegan because i LOVE eggs and yogurt. I don’t crave meat because I haven’t eaten it in 12 years but I wouldn’t give up something I really enjoyed eating.

PS you’ll always have my vote! πŸ™‚

8 Erin November 19, 2009 at 11:03 pm

I totally agree — everyone should do what works for them. πŸ™‚

9 Lyss November 19, 2009 at 11:06 pm

i’m with you girl. i couldn’t commit because i’d always be longing for what i “couldn’t” have! ironically enough, i eat a mostly vegetarian/vegan diet anyway… i just hate the label! label=restriction! life’s about freedom!

voted for you πŸ™‚

10 Tracey @ tropicalhappiness November 19, 2009 at 11:44 pm

Make sure you post that link to vote in all of your posts… sometimes, when I’m at work and reading your posts, I might not have time to vote. But then when I see it again in one of your later posts, I’m sure to vote! πŸ™‚ That link is a good reminder!!!!!!!
Btw, I have to give you major props for your previous posts today… I didn’t get in on all of the different comments about the smoking situation. Regardless of whether it was right or wrong, I love that you read the comments and took them to heart, and then came on your blog and explained your new feelings (and apologized, since that is what you felt was necessary). πŸ™‚

11 Molly @vegandorm November 20, 2009 at 12:02 am

I totally agree with you – if someone feels like they are depriving themself to be vegetarian/vegan, I don’t think they’re ready for a full commitment yet. A lot of people take an all or nothing approach, but I think there’s lots of little changes you can make in a diet to make it more animal friendly, and once you make a few you can make a few more, and so on….

12 Lauren November 20, 2009 at 12:03 am

I think it’s much easier to be vegan if you eat a lot of ethnic food, like Indian or Chinese. I have the hardest time avoiding eggs, meat, and dairy when 1) I go out to eat at a restaurant with any cuisine, or 2) when I’m eating “all-American” style food.

13 Lauren November 20, 2009 at 12:04 am

I meant that homestyle ethnic food often happens to be vegan…but you can rarely trust anything in a restaurant because it’s so different from what normal people eat.

14 Melissa S. November 20, 2009 at 1:22 am

I’m totally with your opinion on being vegan for the day…i wasn’t committed in my head too it either.

15 M November 20, 2009 at 6:26 am

I can’t imagine that you lost any votes of your vegan analysis. It’s respectful and very thoughtful. To respond to the above, you’re right, veganism is a lifestyle (that’s part of the definition, imo), so it’s so much more than eating. Of course, you could follow a vegan diet, and still use animal products, but that wouldn’t be veganism (unless you had no choice as to using the products, what have you — i don’t think you should get “penalized” when you have no other options).

I will say that I bet a few people won’t vote based on the previous posts regarding the teenager thing, but I think your apology was sincere and classy, for lack of a better word. No points off!

16 coco November 20, 2009 at 6:32 am

I agree with you, vegan diet could be healthy/good for some people but it’s not THe healthiest diet in the world. Each of us knows our body better than anyone else and we know what works the best! πŸ™‚ thanks for your sincere thoughts about vegan. I feel the same way! πŸ™‚

17 Melanie November 20, 2009 at 8:41 am

I think you’ve got a pretty healthy outlook there. Honestly, I don’t know many vegans who do it purely for diatetic reasons. I would imagine that would be hard and would feel like deprivation. I think that, in general, veganism is generally more of a moral/ethical choice. If you see organic and “humane meat” as being okay, then you wouldn’t feel a need for veganism, clearly. I’m an ethical vegetarian, and I can honestly tell you that, since the day I decided to make the change (2/13/09), I haven’t felt any craving for meat in the least…the spiritual choice pretty much obliterated the feelings of deprivation. At any rate, I can’t imagine you would lose any votes over that….it’s never healthy to have a chip on one’s shoulder about what to eat:)

18 Diana November 20, 2009 at 8:46 am

Indeed, it’s definitely not for me too. But I do know a lot of vegan people who couldn’t be happier and healthier so I do know it’s definitely possible! Plus, vegan food is so yummy. πŸ™‚

19 Meghan November 20, 2009 at 9:57 am

Hi Meghann!
I love your site, not only do we have the same name, but some of the same weight issues (well former for you!) lately I’ve really changed my diet to be more healthy (although I don’t think I could go the Vegan route!!) and am trying to lose these stubborn 10 lbs that I’ve tacked on over the last few years. I run 4 miles 5 days a week and incorporate Jillian Michael’s shred for muscle toning. I’ve been at it for about 2 weeks now and only lost 1/2 pound! I know that I shouldn’t expect huge results right away, but I thought I’d be down at least 2 by now. I’m wondering if you went through the same thing in the beginning and if so what did you do to keep yourself motivated? Help!

20 Katy November 20, 2009 at 10:20 am

Did you see the cornmeal-masala brussels sprouts I made last night…awesome. Crispy and somehow buttery, even without butter!

Love your realistic approach to food., girl. Now, I’m off to vote!

21 DiningAndDishing November 20, 2009 at 11:28 am

I hear you, being vegan is not for me either. I think it’s completely important to eat responsibly, but I also feel that I would never want to limit my love of food to a very strict set of guidelines. Good for you for giving it a try though!

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

22 RunToTheFinish November 20, 2009 at 12:12 pm

agreed if I think I can’t have something then I want it all the time…even if it’s not something that I really like. I think this is why I never followed any true diet plan

23 Alisa - Frugal Foodie November 20, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Though I am dairy-free, I definitely think everyone needs to follow a diet that works well for them. My husband and I trialed a vegan diet for 4 months. We were committed to it, but in the end, it just didn’t work with our bodies. So I definitely agree!