My Apologies

by Meghann on November 19, 2009

Ok, I admit it – I may have been a tad harsh with the kid at the bus stop  this morning and after reading your comments I feel a little mortified by it. Smokers just make me so angry sometimes – especially kids who think its a cool way to rebel. To them it may seem cool at the time, but it leads to so many issues later on in life its not even worth it.

These kids don’t realize that smoking truly is a horrible addiction and just like any other addiction it can effect your relationships with others. I grew up with a chain smoking Grandmother and I attribute not being closer to her on the habit. I could easily tell story after story on why that is, but I will spare her’s – and my other family members’ – feelings by keeping them private. Just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes – clearly I have deeper issues then the fact that she smoked.

Watching others suffer with their addictions is the reason why I’ve never tried a cigarette and why I hope others will kill the habit before it gets to that point. I know cigarettes are legal and common, but to me they rank right up there with cocaine in awfulness.

I hope to see the green haired kid again so that I may apologize to him and perhaps tell him my own story on why I have such a distaste for smokers. Who knows, maybe he can relate? As many of you mentioned in the comments I have no right to judge him just as he has no right to judge me.

I also want to apologize to any readers that I offended. You know by now that I am not perfect. I have more then one fault and being blunt as I was this morning just happens to be one of them.

Ok now that I got that off of my chest…. let’s move on to the food and my attempt at being ‘Vegan For a Day’ which I admit is a bit of challenge. The challenge isn’t in preparing the meals – I knew that would be an easy one – but in ignoring my cravings.

My Supervisor bought in her famous Blackberry French Toast Casserole today in honor of treat week. She had been raving about the casserole for weeks and I was very much looking forward to trying it, until I realized she was brining it in on the one day I was giving up eggs, cream cheese, butter, etc.

I really, really wanted to try the casserole. I felt like a person on a diet trying to resist a tempting treat. Not cool.

But I survived and instead has a serving of TJ’s peanut Butter Pretzels.

IMG_5779

I double checked the bad this morning to ensure they were vegan.

Lunch was a Curry Tofu Pita with raw Asparagus on the side.

IMG_5781

I had originally pictured a ‘Pesto Tofu Pita’ but remembered this morning that my pesto contains cheese. Duh! Instead I rummaged through my sauces on my fridge store and stumbled on a Red Thai Curry Sauce that was indeed vegan.

IMG_5783

Also in the wrap I had spinach, cucumber and cherry tomatoes.

Asparagus

IMG_5784

A mini pickle for kicks.

IMG_5785

I promise regular Good Mood Meghann will return this evening with my reflections on going Vegan 4 a Day!

1 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) November 19, 2009 at 3:06 pm

Yum, I love asparagus! You are doing great so far.

I’m glad you had some time to reflect on the kid and who knows, you just may see him again. I have deeper issues with smoking too due to grandparents and other family members who smoked (most of which died of lung cancer). I guess that is why I feel like I can’t be harsh to strangers because that is someone else’s family member. We just need to help them see the error of their ways 🙂

2 Brandi November 19, 2009 at 3:06 pm

Great lunch! I hope you swiped some of that casserole so you can try it tomorrow 🙂

3 meyergirl November 19, 2009 at 3:10 pm

I am so intimidated by the idea of going Vegan because it seems simple but then you find out that most wines are made with animal products and then you realize it’s a lot harder that it looks!

4 Mama Pea November 19, 2009 at 3:22 pm

Are you kidding me?! People actually got on you for saying something to that kid about smoking? Geesh. Maybe not the approach I would have taken, but my gosh, it’s your right to say something just as much as it’s his right to fill his lungs (and yours) with tar and nicotine.

5 Casey November 19, 2009 at 3:35 pm

I understand why you said what you did, Meghann! I’m glad you thought about it and would like a chance to apologize, but ultimately your heart was in the right place. Smoking does kill, and it does NOT make you cool, and kids NEED to know that. Maybe b/c of what you said he will think twice before smoking again!

Keep up the fabulous blog work :). I can’t wait to get in to work every morning and read about your eats and workouts and little Maddie’s adventures! 🙂

6 Megan November 19, 2009 at 3:38 pm

It takes some guts to own up to being wrong–and I applaud you!!

As a smoking-hater with a penchant for speaking my mind, I totally see where you’re coming from, but also recognize that it’s probably counter productive. Lots of people smoke as a statment of “going against the man”, so when a super mainstream (read: jogger) comments, it might just end up solidifying his decision to “be different”.

That said, he’s an idiot. 😉

7 Martha November 19, 2009 at 3:39 pm

I don’t think you were too harsh at all.. If kids don’t get that message SOMEWHERE, they may not ever get it… Plus smoke is gross. The only reason I wouldn’t confront someone for that is for personal safety reasons.. (but I’m sure you could kick someone’s ass, if needed 🙂 ). Seriously though, you were in the right.

8 beautifuldancer November 19, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Ok… I’m sitting here trying to understand how someone could be upset with you for being brave enough to inform some wanna-be cool kid that he’s SHORTENING HIS LIFE, and INCREASING HIS RISK FOR CANCER and a million other health problems that ARE NOT helped by smoking. Honestly, if more people would step up and give troubled kids that are ruining their health a piece of their mind (in a NOT rude way like you did), than there would be less kids smoking and drinking and whatever other crazy stuff they’re doing nowadays. You may not know this but just by RUNNING past them, you were setting a healthy example for all those kids at that bus stop.

I had a grandma that died of throat cancer because she was a chain smoker and ended up with a hole in her neck….

*but i digress*

At least you know that if the kid got mad at you, you could outrun him without choking up a lung!

Never apologize for promoting HEALTH and discouraging recklessness.

9 jennylikestorun November 19, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Personally Meghann, I do not think you were too harsh at all. Where I live, it is illegal for teens under 18 to buy cigarettes, so when I see my peers or even worse, ten year olds smoking, it makes me SO ANGRY! I wish I had the guts to speak up and say something to them about the mistake they’re making.

You shouldn’t feel guilty or mortified at all, you did the right thing, you spoke your mind. Smoking is a disgusting habit and most definitely not something that teenagers should be facing addiction too. You are right, smoking ruins lives and relationships and every cigarette shortens your life by 7 minutes.
I think POWER TO YOU for reminding him of how bad they are.

I have even more respect for you!

10 Ally November 19, 2009 at 3:43 pm

I think it’s good that you told the kid smoking what was up–heck, I’m sure that took a lot of courage–not something I could do. I work on a college campus and see young adults smoking all the time. It makes me batty. The worst if when I see them smoking right before or after they go into the gym–I mean, really? But, one of my best friends is a smoker (weird, right?) and I’ve known her since we were 7 and I’ve been trying to get her to stop for years, but, she’s hooked. She doesn’t smoke around me, and, she has cut back over the years, but, it hurts me so much that she is poisoning herself–what if she gets lung cancer? It breaks my heart.

11 megan November 19, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Once again, great post. 🙂 I definitey applaud you for trying to do something to help! Whether it was the right approach or not, I’ll leave it to others to debate, or for your own mind, but at least you tried 🙂

12 Kristie Lynn November 19, 2009 at 3:50 pm

I get the personal issues thing, and I think it can effect different people in different ways. My grandpa died of what started as lung cancer (but spread to his liver, stomach, and bones) only 1 month after he was diagnosed with it. And he smoked even in the month that he was diagnosed and dying. It devastated my family, but my sister took it the hardest, I think. She is super sensitive to people smoking and it really upsets her to see anyone smoke, whether she knows them or not. Even though I was upset with his death too, I guess I don’t get as upset as she does. I just feel bad for them because smoking is such a tough habit to break and along with the potential long term effects like cancer, it is so expensive!

But anyway, this is your blog and you should say what you feel. I think most of us would support you regardless (or enjoy the chance for discussion) 🙂

13 Stacey November 19, 2009 at 3:51 pm

I want to add, as a smoker, you’re not “battling an addiction” at 16. You’re feigning an addiction to try to look cool. I know, I was there. And had tons of friends that smoked too, and I’d say the majority probably didn’t even like it.

14 Lauren November 19, 2009 at 3:51 pm

Speaking as a teenager with friends who smoke, the motivation nowadays isn’t really to be “cool” like most adults seem to assume. In reality, most kids “get it” and find smoking uncool and unpopular. They just continue to do stupid things because they like instant gratification. You did the right thing by confronting the kid but it was just that your approach was a little off 😉

15 michelle s. November 19, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Meghann, (insert intro about how I read but never comment here)

You have every right to “judge.” We all do it every day. From the murderer, to the guy on the bus that doesn’t give his spot to a pregnant woman, to the mistreatment of animals and/or meat production methods, to, yes, smokers.

I agree with your position now that the confrontation probably didn’t help him, but don’t feel bad about it. I do respect that you had the cajones to say something!

p.s. I really hate running by smokers. I hold my breath actually 🙂

16 D November 19, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Whether or not I personally agree with what you did, I don’t think you should have to apologise to “the blog world”. Food blogs have become super mainstream and popular (which is great!) but with that comes this weird feeling of intimacy. People feel like they know each other, and take personal offense. At the end of the day, this is your PERSONAL blog (that happens to have gained a lot of readers) and it’s a PUBLIC forum. You are allowed to write about whatever you want, and people have to accept that you aren’t their best friend and they can’t really get worked up over it. I love your blog, but I also remember that your blog and others are, at the end of the day, personal sites. You can write about ANYTHING you want, and you don’t have to apologise to strangers! If they don’t like it, they dont have to read. You don’t owe anyone an apology!

17 Sara November 19, 2009 at 3:58 pm

As an avid reader of your blog I think it’s big of you to analyze what you said and how you said it. I do also, however, understand why so many people jumped down your throat. It’s such a touchy issue and the truth is very few people react well to be called names or rude comments.

Maybe something like “Hey that green hair is different and cool but smoking isn’t and it’s pretty dangerous” (that’s lame, but you get the jist…) would have caught his attention better and or resonated with him more…But like you said, maybe you’ll be able to see him again and explain your concern and apologize for your knee-jerk reaction which we all, at times, have.

Also, for those defending you and getting all up in arms, these blogs are public forums for discussion and Meghann I’m pretty sure after running many races and a marathon doesn’t need anyone defending her 🙂 She’s tough 🙂

S

18 Laura Georgina November 19, 2009 at 4:01 pm

You’ve got nothing to feel sorry about, Meghann! Right or wrong, I wish I had the nerve to do what you did. People smoke for very personal reason, and have the right to do so, but people react for personal reasons too, and you should not feel the need to justify your actions to anyone, blog world or otherwise.

Plus, I’m sure you told him off in a kind and non-snarky way 🙂

Must try that curry tofu pita, and if I make it tomorrow it will be Meghann Lunches Week for me! I made your corn and black bean salad earlier this week and it was BEYOND tasty–thanks for posting recipes that keep me and the Huz well fed!

19 Katherine November 19, 2009 at 4:07 pm

I see where you are coming from and I see where responders might be coming from. Smoking is not the only damaging addition. All addictions are damaging in some way –

I can often be quick to judge, but who knows what his story is. I do wish kids would realize that smoking is NOT healthy and agree that it is disgusting.

20 Ashley November 19, 2009 at 4:10 pm

As one of the commenters on the previous post mentioned, I’d be worried about safety. Maybe it’s paranoia, but I’d at least cross the street next time you run by that bus stop. You don’t want to be spit on or have a cigarette butt flicked on you!

21 Kristine November 19, 2009 at 4:33 pm

No apologies, you spoke with your heart! I probably would have done the same thing!

22 Whit November 19, 2009 at 4:46 pm

I think it’s cool that you stand up for what you believe in. I personally hate smoking, but unless it is a close friend or a family member I usually don’t say anything, just because I am never one to push my beliefs on anyone. I know where you are coming from though, my maternal grandfather died of lung cancer and it was a horrible, horrible thing. I seriously hate it, but I admire you for having the guts to speak your mind about it. GO MEGHANN! 😀

23 Tay November 19, 2009 at 4:46 pm

We all have our own opinions, and our own rights to express them. No worries 🙂

Could you take some up the french toast to go so you can try it tomorrow? It definitely won’t be as fresh tasting, but at least you’ll still get the delicious idea!!

24 on the rocks November 19, 2009 at 4:51 pm

I understand your hatred towards smoking, being that I lost 2 grandparents to lung cancer that were smokers. But, someone who has a lot of experience with a father and 2 brothers that are hard drug addicts, I find it pretty extreme that you compare smoking cigarettes to cocaine. Yes, cigarettes can lead to death after years and years of abuse. But cocaine, and many other hard drugs, can lead to death after just one use. Of course you can say and feel as you want, but it’s just hard for me to agree with “they rank right up there with cocaine in awfulness ” (not that you are looking for me to agree or anything 🙂 ). If one day my 2 brothers decided to stop doing drugs and swap it with smoking, this would be a very good day. Just showing you another side to your statement.

25 Lyss November 19, 2009 at 5:45 pm

unfortunately, i have to agree with “on the rocks”. two of my cousins have been in and out of drug rehab for years, and it’s heartbreaking. and comparing cigarettes to cocaine (or meth or any other hard drug) is very extreme. yes, smoking is harmful, and YES, i ABSOLUTELY think that kids who smoke are dumb, i think that judging another person based on their habits, decisions and/or choices is unfair. especially if it’s someone you don’t know, who may be struggling with much worse behind the scenes.

with that being said, i love your blog meghann, so don’t take that as a stab! i know that you have pent up anger surrounding smoking based on whatever happened between you and your grandmother, but just try and take it easy on reflecting those feelings on others. you never know when your hurtful words – though they had VERY good intention – could be “the last straw” for someone who is at a very low place in their life.

26 Tyler November 19, 2009 at 4:57 pm

i just wanted to say that i’m enjoying this little moral debate about yelling at the teenager. i don’t think much harm or good was done…i bet you just gave him a funny story to tell about some crazy runner that chewed him out at the bus stop!

love the vegan eats today….everything look delicious! have a good day!

27 D November 19, 2009 at 5:14 pm

I think this blogger vegan day is doing a terrible disservice to the vegan lifestyle!!! I don’t think anyone can experience any changes in one day that would convince them to explore veganism further. You (meaning One) won’t see any increased energy, clearer skin, decreased stomach problems or any other “superficial” results, and moral reasons certainly won’t switch on overnight either. It’s unfortunate that you felt deprived, because I don’t think anyone who follows a vegan diet feels deprived! Most people seem to say the opposite (myself included). If you are only following the diet to follow a blog trend, then it probably will feel like a diet. But when a person committs for more lasting reasons, then you won’t feel like you’re on some terrible crash diet. I think the misconception is that vegans “cant” have certain things, but that’s illogical. Vegans can have whatever they want! They/we just CHOOSE not to. I don’t feel deprived when I’m the one making the choice that feels good to me. Anyway, can’t wait to hear all the reflections later!

28 Meghann November 19, 2009 at 5:22 pm

Could not agree more and I fully intend to talk about that tonight. 🙂

29 Amy November 19, 2009 at 5:28 pm

No. No. No. It does not rank up there with cocaine. Trust me.

30 Meg @ Be Fit Be Full November 19, 2009 at 5:29 pm

I really don’t think you were too harsh. Honestly, every time I see someone smoking I want to say “you’re going to get lung cancer or someone else will get it from your second hand smoke”! I admire your guts!

31 Susan November 19, 2009 at 6:09 pm

Thankyou for your apology Meghann. As someone you used to BE that green-haired kid smoking at the bus stop, I appreciate it. Just remember that everyone has reasons for what they do, and sometimes it’s not what you may expect, or in your case assume. I suffered from a debilitating anxiety disorder and smoking was one of my few methods of relief until I was medicated. Like I said in your last post, I’m not proud of that, nor was I able to make appropriate decisions at such a young age to deal with what I was going through. It’s easy to yell at someone to stop. It’s a lot harder to get to the bottom of why they began in the first place.

32 Rachel November 19, 2009 at 6:15 pm

Don’t beat yourself up. You spoke out of concern and that’s why I like you, you are such a sweet spirit! Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

33 Bridget November 19, 2009 at 6:24 pm

Wow its been an interesting day reading your posts and comments today!! I completely agree with you about smoking, and have thought about doing just what you did this morning, but dont have the guts haha. Its also been really informative reading everyone’s comments:) Sorry you missed the french toast (I would of been a little bummed about that too!)

34 sisrocks1996 November 19, 2009 at 6:34 pm

I ignore the smokers, but it does irritate me because your also inflicting it on those you are around!

Sorry about the french toast! I hope the rest of vegan day is delicious!

LOL I’m a vegan most of the time and today I’m barely cooking oops.

35 Lori November 19, 2009 at 6:59 pm

Maybe you really didn’t have a “right” to get on that kid for smoking but it was how you were feeling this morning and you obviously had to get it off your chest. I can’t believe people were on you for saying something to him though. One day I was running on a trail and there was a highschool girl sitting on a rock along the path smoking away. I certainly didn’t enjoy the smoke I had to breathe in as I ran past. I didn’t have the guts to say anything to her but I sure coughed and hacked to let her know I was not pleased with her disgusting habit!

36 eaternotarunner November 19, 2009 at 7:17 pm

I tried the vegan challenge for breakfast and lunch….not sure I’ll make it through dinner, I don’t like restricting myself!

I believe you have the right to say whatever you want, but I used to smoke so I guess thats why I feel for the kid. Now I am a runner and think its gross too, but I understand why people smoke, especially when they are young and don’t know better.

I will say, I HATE when I am running and someone blows smoke in my face, I want to yell at them for sure!!

37 allisonisactive November 19, 2009 at 7:19 pm

I have no problem with what you said to that kid. I work with middle schoolers every day, and kids of that age sometimes just need to hear the honest truth, even if it’s ugly. Most likely, you shocked the kid into at least thinking about what he’s doing.

38 Sean November 19, 2009 at 7:46 pm

I also have no problem with what you said. From a guy’s perspective — a cute fit girl running by yelling at me for something I know I shouldn’t be doing carries a lot more weight than otherwise. I don’t think you have anything to feel bad about.

I’d make a terrible vegan. About the only vegan thing I think I eat is vegan chocolate chip cookies from a local farmers market. I probably spend too much time reading women’s food blogs but it does open my eyes up to a whole bunch of food I never even knew existed.

39 kristin November 19, 2009 at 7:47 pm

I dont think you need to apologize for what you said this morning!! You did what you thought was right at the time – dont let other peoples comments bring you down or make you feel bad for what you did. You are good person regardless of what you said or how you feel about smokers!!!

40 Jenna November 19, 2009 at 7:48 pm

wow! it definitely seems really hard to be vegan. i give you props for trying it for a day. i could probs only do it for a day!
i hope you got some of your supervisors’ treats for tomorrow 🙂
jenna

41 sandy November 19, 2009 at 8:12 pm

Meghann..
You have a right to your opionion..it’s your Blog..wether you told the kid he was an idiot, or said it differently,he’ll still do what he want’s!! This is YOUR blog~and you’re very refreshing!
I find smoking offensive..and I smoked for 12 yrs..I’ve apologized to all the people who used to hang out with me, and breathe my second hand smoke!

Keep on voicing your opinion Meghann..you’re a strong woman, and I wish when I was your age,(I’m 45)
I was as free to express, and be myself!!! I think you’re amazing!!

Sandy

42 Lauren @ Team Giles November 19, 2009 at 8:35 pm

don’t apologize, smoking IS stupid. I HATE HATE HATE smoking. My dad smoked for years and died at 58 years old BECAUSE of smoking. So I have no compassion whatsoever for people who choose that horrible habit. HATE it. and I hope that kid forever remembers you and it plays in his head and he quits smoking. Smoking SHOULD be banned.

43 Karla November 19, 2009 at 8:45 pm

I don’t think you need to apologize, it’s YOUR blog. I may not necessarily do the same thing you would do but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be able to speak your mind. You weren’t hurting anyone so I don’t really see what was wrong with your comments.

Smoking is not healthy. End of Story. Feel free to let others know what you think.

44 Amy C. November 19, 2009 at 8:56 pm

Your lunch looked good! 🙂 And no need to apologize to anyone, Meghann. You expressed your opinion. Some agree, others don’t but we all love you and your blog. You rock! Also… I was looking back and I loved the post with Maddie and the other Jack Russell (so sorry I don’t remember his name). Too cute! Maddie is so adorable.

45 Kristen November 19, 2009 at 9:30 pm

I’ve been participating in being vegan for the day as well…I’ll be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Your opinion is your opinion- don’t apologize for it! (although if you do feel bad about the green haired teenager and want to apologize to him, i think that’s brave!)

46 Erin November 19, 2009 at 9:38 pm

I agree with what you said — especially in the heat of the moment, it can be hard to think of a logical argument to have with someone. While maybe it wasn’t the *best* choice of words, I could see myself unintentionally saying the same thing because I know that’s what I’d be thinking.

47 Paige November 19, 2009 at 9:44 pm

Your blog is awesome!

As far as commenting to the smoker…live and learn. You rock!

48 Katy November 19, 2009 at 9:50 pm

I struggle with the same thing — I am opinionated and sometimes make people crazy when I am aggressive with it! I appreciate you not only posting the truth about what happened, but taking ALL the comments in…the good and the bad. For the record, I support everything you said. 🙂

And speaking of support — you and the blog world humble and amaze me. Thanks so much for the #VeganWeek support. It’s amazing what people who share a passion for healthy living can do!

49 M November 19, 2009 at 10:00 pm

I’m not gonna weigh in on the smoker issue.. but I will say wow- it’s gotta be hard to be a blogger. You post your morning post about that comment and have 100 people attack you. Then you post an apology and have 50 people tell you that you shouldn’t have apologized. Hello mixed messages! In some ways you have to blog for yourself to survive!

50 Jess November 19, 2009 at 10:53 pm

I have far too many opinions on this issue to get into in a mere comment, plus I’m pretty sure you’ve found peace with what was done and said.

I will say this – too often we are made to feel bad for strong opinions and actions, when in life these are usually the moments most worthy of praise, as they reveal ourselves at our most human.

“Never apologize for showing feeling. When you do so, you apologize for the truth.” – Benjamin Disraeli

51 Carolyn November 19, 2009 at 11:22 pm

Hi Meghann,

I just wanted to say thank you and that I admire your ability to keep an open mind, accept outsider opinions, and own up to possible mistakes. I admit I was initially really offended and surprised when I read about the smoking comments. To say the least, I come from a troubled background, and at this point have beat all of my destructive addictions and habits with the exception of smoking (which I have also cut down on). Addictions are really complex, personal and painful topics for those who suffer, and I have been upset many times when a stranger publicly accosted me about my smoking. While being publicly humiliated and put down, I wondered what they would think or say differently if they knew that, for me, “just” smoking is actually a huge triumph that has taken years to accomplish. I am fully aware of how dangerous and disgusting smoking is – as nearly all smokers are – but sometimes there is more to the issue than simple knowledge and public opinion. And as a smoker who is thinking of quitting, I can say with absolute authority that being put down (especially in public) is probably the least effective way of getting me to quit. In fact, the stress of the confrontation and embarrassment would entice me to smoke more. The best thing is to be supportive, and meet people where they’re at. Put downs and shaming never work, period.

Again, thanks for having the guts to say “I was wrong” and to keep the topic open even when opinions were against you. With continued positivity and support from others, I hope I can kick this one last addiction to the curb 😉

52 Fattie Fatterton November 19, 2009 at 11:37 pm

Meghann,

I’m so sorry that you were made to feel as though you had to apologize. I am a bit of a whippersnapper myself and if you catch me on the right day, I will tell you like it is, too, so I have no problem with what you did.

This is YOUR blog for YOUR feelings, opinions, and emotions. If people don’t agree, they can do one of three things:

1. Say so in the comments BUT not in a derogatory way. They can say, hey, not the way I would have handled it, but it’s a free country. They should NOT try to put their emotions on you.

2. Get their own blog and put their opinion out there. It’s free!!

3. Read somewhere else.

I just hope that this doesn’t curtail you being real and honest. Once you start writing to please others, it can become a chore instead of a joy.

Hugs,
Fattie

53 Emily November 20, 2009 at 12:37 am

Thanks for being open about this on the blog, Meghann. It’s tough to open yourself up to such criticism and controversy…thanks for being real about it. I am an educator with a soft spot in my heart for high school students. Most high schoolers really believe that adults think they are worthless. I once told a student I believed in her ability to turn in her assignment on time, and she looked at me and said, “No one’s ever said that to me before.” I agree that you sometimes have to be harsh to get kids to listen, but compassion and a little joking/sarcasm is a kinder way to go…a way that starts a conversation instead of leaving someone feeling defensive and worthless because just one more person thinks he/she is an idiot.

However, I really do appreciate you making me think about this issue and truly appreciate your candor on the blog. Thanks!