I <3 Fresh Herbs

by Meghann on November 16, 2009

There is something about the addition of fresh herbs to everyday meals that always bring them over the top. Dry herbs just don’t seem to cut it the way fresh herbs do. Unfortunately I was born without a functional green thumb and fresh herbs from the grocery store tend to carry a heavy price tag.

This particular dilemma is where Farmer’s Markets play an important role. While strolling through one of my favorite Farmer’s Markets this past weekend I discovered plants of fresh Basil and Oregano for roughly $1 a piece!

I immediately bought one of each. I figured for that very low price tag I can have fresh herbs in all of my favorite dishes until I either pick the plant dry or it dies on me. Its the perfect win-win situation. πŸ™‚

The fresh basil and oregano were the perfect addition to my Roasted Vegetables with Marinara Sauce this evening.

For this particular variation of my favorite combinations I roasted Acorn Squash, Tofu, Onion, & Broccoli with a little S&P at 420 in the oven for 25 minutes. When the veggie were soft I coated them with marinara sauce and some brie cheese from my FoodBuzz swag bag.

Of course as I mentioned above, the fresh basil and oregano I sprinkled on top were what made this dish a hit. The fresh herbs gave the dish a very fresh taste.

On the side I got some carbs in with a piece of whole wheat toast.

For dessert I was finally able to enjoy my Carrot Cake Cupcake i brought home in a to go container from the Food & Wine Festival yesterday.

The cupcake was moist and tasty, however it was seriously lacking in the icing department. I know they were going for the chic cupcake look, but a cupcake just isn’t a cupcake without a good amount of icing piled on. Am I right?

For a snack this afternoon I had a piece of Pumpkin Cornbread.

Still madly in love with this stuff. I froze a few pieces so you can expect to see it every once in a while on the blog for a couple of weeks. πŸ˜‰

Calling all Tallahassee Runners…

Any Tallahassee readers out there willing to join me for a run this weekend? E-mail me at graduatemeghann@gmail.com if you are interested! πŸ™‚

1 Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) November 16, 2009 at 9:20 pm

The teensy amount of frosting on that cupcake is a crime haha!

2 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) November 16, 2009 at 9:27 pm

So jealous of that carrot cake cupcake!!!

3 Katie November 16, 2009 at 9:41 pm

First cupcakes are not cupcakes w/o frosting.

Second I LOVE fresh herbs and have NO idea why I don’t have a plant yet probably because I forget about it. Thanks for bringing it back to my attention. πŸ™‚

I still need to try that cornbread it looks soo delicious!

4 legalstyle November 16, 2009 at 9:45 pm

a cupcake is not a cupcake without it’s lower body being matched by an equal or greater amount of icing. amen.

5 Karla November 16, 2009 at 9:47 pm

I can never keep plants alive! I’ve bought about 5 basil plants in the past year, kept them in different locations and watered each one a little different and they all die! Ahh!

I hope yours fares better than mine have

6 Meghann November 16, 2009 at 10:01 pm

I have no plans of keeping this one alive very long. My plant is to eat all the delicious leaves off of the plant and toss it.

7 Jenna November 16, 2009 at 10:05 pm

your dinner looks really good and so does that cupacke πŸ™‚
jenna

8 Brittany November 16, 2009 at 10:06 pm

Are you going to the Maryland game?!?! This is sadly my last FSU game as a student. πŸ™

9 Erin November 16, 2009 at 10:08 pm

The cupcake and the pumpkin bread look so good! Yay yummy carbs!

My roommate and I kept our basil alive for a good 8 months or so before the summer came and we couldn’t water it fast enough. If it turns yellowish and sickly looking, you’re watering too much – but if the soil is too dry, it needs more water. That’s about all I learned while keeping the basil. Oregano (and mint, I recommend getting that one!) on the other hand are pretty hearty!

10 Erin November 16, 2009 at 10:08 pm

Love fresh herbs — they add a little something extra. My favorite is fresh cilantro sprinkled onto a salad or on a sandwich. A delicious zing. πŸ˜€

11 Kara November 16, 2009 at 10:11 pm

Pumpkin cornbread! That’s so unique!

12 veganindairyland November 16, 2009 at 10:11 pm

I’ve never had good luck with herb plants – but for $1 I would have definitely snatched them up too! I’ve seen bunches of herbs at my farmer’s market for $1-$2 before, but never as potted plants (then they’re always marked at $5). Nice!

13 Evan Thomas November 16, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Fresh herbs are by far the best. My basil plant died πŸ™ But my stevia plant is flourishing!

14 Matt November 16, 2009 at 10:38 pm

I seriously love fresh herbs, but they always go bad before I can use them all. Plus they are expensive!

15 Julie @savvyeats November 16, 2009 at 10:49 pm

I love fresh herbs, but I usually don’t eat them fast enough! The highlight of my new apartment is that I will have the ability to garden… I’m hoping to grow some fresh herbs.

16 Lizzy November 16, 2009 at 10:49 pm

i hope the cupcake was great! i agree, i think a good amount of frosting is key to a great cupcake! πŸ™‚

17 Sarah November 16, 2009 at 10:54 pm

Can’t decide which looks better- the carrot cake cupcake or the veggies with marinara! I guess they fulfill different needs, right? πŸ™‚

18 Lauren November 17, 2009 at 12:33 am

I love fresh herbs over dry herbs. It makes all the flavors pop! That muffin looks delish

19 greensandjeans November 17, 2009 at 12:36 am

I love fresh herbs! Of course, it doesn’t hurt that they smell delicious all on their own!

20 broccolihut November 17, 2009 at 12:47 am

I love fresh herbs too! You’re making me miss my herb garden I have back home in Alabama…

21 Liz November 17, 2009 at 1:54 am

Fresh herbs are the best. I love the freshness they add to anything you put them in.

22 Nicole November 17, 2009 at 1:56 am

I love fresh herbs! So much better than dried! I have bad luck with keeping them alive in the house too!

23 Fallon November 17, 2009 at 2:42 am

Cupcakes need a good serving of frosting!!

24 Susan November 17, 2009 at 9:25 am

That’s awesome you found those plants for so cheap!! I tried to grow herbs once and failed miserably. My thumb isn’t even a slight shade of green…

Sorry to say this, but I don’t like icing!! A little bit is okay, but otherwise it’s just too much sugar for me. What people really need to start doing is icing cupcakes with plain peanut butter πŸ˜‰ Now THAT would be good!

25 Tina November 17, 2009 at 10:17 am

That’s an awesome meal, and yes fresh herbs totally MAKE any dish!

26 Mary November 17, 2009 at 10:55 am

Sorry to be that person, but your title for the post has an alternative/funny meaning.