more ยป" />

Its the Weekend!

by Meghann on November 14, 2009

Look who came over for a sleep over last night

My Mom is still out of the country, so my Dad made a trip to Orlando last night to hang out with his two favorite daughters and brought Scooby along. Scooby and Maddie spent all last weekend bound together at the hip and had been missing each other like crazy all week. They were very excited to see each other again and spent the whole night playing and snuggling together on the couch. They are two peas in a pod. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thankfully my Friday did eventually calm down and I was able to leave work right on time. Staying late on Fridays is never fun.

At the office I snacked on the last of my Cowgirl Creamery Mount Tam Cheese and a few Kashi Crackers.

I originally had no plans for Friday night, so when my Dad called last minute to see if I was interested in dinner and a movie I immediately said yes. The two of us met up with my sister, Kelly, and her boyfriend downtown for a night out on the town.

I had heard good things about Hamburger Mary’s on Church Street so I suggested we go there.

Hamburger Mary’s is famous for their delicious burgers and off the wall servers dressed in drag. Unfortunately the servers only go all out on certain nights of the week and last night was not one of them. I’ve been told to return on nights where they play bingo or have karaokee to get the full experience.

I was a little disappointed by the mediocre menu. It was all typical bar food with the exception of some interesting burgers.

I should have went with my gut and ordered what the establishment was famous for – burgers – but instead I tried to order ‘light’ and asked for a cup of chili and half order of the asian salad.

The chili was nothing special and neither was the salad. ๐Ÿ™

However, the fries I stole from my Dad’s plate were wonderful.

And so were the few bites of my Dad’s and Anthony’s burgers. The burgers were actually pretty amazing. I learned my lesson: if I go to a restaurant known for a certain something then damn it order that certain something. ๐Ÿ˜‰

After dinner we moved next door to The Dessert Lady where the dessert more than made up for the lackluster dinner.

Too many delicious choices to choose from!

The sampler was obviously the best option for our group.

Carrot Cake

6 Layer Chocolate Cake

Baked Apple Cobbler

Reeses Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake

WOW!!!! Each cake was out of this world delicious and there was so much the four of us couldn’t even finish it all. I can’t believe I didn’t know this place existed before, but I promise I will be back!

For the movie portion of our evening we headed over to the new posh theater in downtown which is locally run and has the most comfortable movie chairs I have ever sat in! We saw the 9:15 showing of 2012 which may have been a little later for the 2.5+ hour movie. I believe I saw both my sister and dad fall asleep at one point.

2012 actually wasn’t that bad as far as end of the world movies go, but I would suggest saving it for DVD. In the mean time I would rent The Day Before Tomorrow or Deep Impact and you’ll get the same jist. ๐Ÿ˜‰

By the time I made it back to the apartment it was almost 1:00am which should explain my lack of posting last night – sorry! – instead I went straight to bed and was up at 7:00 for a quick 4 mile run at a 8:46 pace. Despite my late night, the run felt great!

After my run my Dad and I took the puppies to a breakfast spot I have been dying to try off of Park Ave in Winter Park.

The Briar Patch is famous for great breakfast foods and a menu that will not disappoint.

After much dilliberation I went with the Blue Heaven Wheat & Fiber Pancakes.

OMG!! Delicious!!

These pancakes were very rich and sweet. They tasted just like a cinnamon donut. These were seriously the best pancakes I have ever had. Yum!

My Dad’s Western Scramble was pretty kick ass too.

Now I am stuffed full of pancakes and am ready to enjoy the rest of this beautiful day. I hope the sun is shining bright where ever you live as well.

Have a great weekend!

1 Nicci@NE November 14, 2009 at 12:52 pm

I love resting on the weekends! Pancakes look delicious.

2 Lyss November 14, 2009 at 12:54 pm

random question ๐Ÿ™‚

do you have naturally curly hair? i have long, straight, boring hair and have been thinking of cutting it short to your length and donating it to Locks of Love… i loooove the way you style your hair, but i’m scared to do it to mine since my hair has ZERO volume… thoughts?

3 Meghann November 14, 2009 at 2:55 pm

My hair is naturally wavy and very thick. I love the short hairstyle because it is so easy and I feel like I can do so many things with it. I say if you are donating your hair for a good cause then go for it ๐Ÿ™‚ Hair can always grow back and if you spend your life being too scared of change then life isn’t very fun ๐Ÿ™‚

4 Melissa November 14, 2009 at 6:09 pm

Please PLEASE donate your hair to Locks of Love! I have done it twice and it’s a great cause. You will still have hair AND it will grow back but these children aren’t as lucky. It’s so silly to be scared to cut your hair when there are children out there fighting cancer every day.

5 Diana November 14, 2009 at 1:09 pm

Wow, those breakfasts look so good! And so do those desserts!
I agree, you should definitely have tried the burgers! if that’s what they’re known for. Living and learning, right? Hope you have a great day!

6 Evan Thomas November 14, 2009 at 1:24 pm

Those desserts look incredible! Please go back to take more pictures lol

7 The Pancake Girl November 14, 2009 at 1:24 pm

Those pancakes look extremely delicious and hearty! I’m hardcore craving some pancakes now.. Plus, those cakes look yummy- I wish we had a Dessert Lady around my house!

( http://www.joelygolightly.wordpress.com )

8 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) November 14, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Scooby and Maddie are sooooo cute together! I love the size difference. hahaha.

There’s a Hamburger Mary’s in San Diego. I’ve heard good things, now I know to get a burger there! I’m going to San Diego next weekend, maybe I’ll check it out.

9 Emily November 14, 2009 at 1:31 pm

That dessert place looks so fun!

10 Kelly from Bridges and Bites November 14, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Wow, so much good food! That carrot cake looks phenomenal. So glad you’re having a great time with your family. ๐Ÿ™‚

11 kbwood November 14, 2009 at 1:50 pm

WOW i was literally drooling over those desserts AND pancakes! i would LOVE to live in flordia after i graduate!

12 prettytimepiece November 14, 2009 at 1:53 pm

I saw 2012 last night too – the 10:20 showing – and I totally fell asleep at a few moments. lol i’m the worst with getting sleepy during late night movies ๐Ÿ™‚

looks like a great start to the weekend – enjoy it!! ๐Ÿ™‚ that dessert place looks AMAZING!

13 Danielle November 14, 2009 at 1:55 pm

Looks like you had some really good restaurant food for your last few meals! As yummy as your pancakes look I am totally craving your dad’s breakfast – which answers your “sweet or savory” breakfast question from a few posts back ๐Ÿ™‚

As yummy as all of this looks I always love how creative you are with veggies in all of your meals. I am trying to incorporate more into my diet so it’s nice to see what you do with yours.

Enjoy the rest of your lovely Saturday!
Danielle

14 Susan November 14, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Such a cute picture of you and the dogs at the top! Maddie is such a little star, she steals the spotlight in every shot ๐Ÿ˜›

I can’t even tell you the number of times I’ve gone to restaurants known for a certain dish, tried to order a lighter option, and then be scolded by my boyfriend. I’ve never regretted ordering a delicious hamburger on his request ๐Ÿ˜‰

Have a fun day hanging out with your dad!!

15 biz319 November 14, 2009 at 1:59 pm

Great date night with your family! But that dessert plate? Um, definitely insulin worthy!

I agree with eat what restaurants are known for. We went out to an Irish restaurant once, and a friend of ours ordered lasagna and said it sucked! Um, my corned beef and cabbage was amazing!

Have a great day – its almost 60 degrees and sunny in Chicago – yippee!

16 wnk505 November 14, 2009 at 2:03 pm

your breakfast looks amazing and I’m so glad you are able to spend time with your father. He is so cute. I think its wonderful to have father daughter bonding its an extremely important part of growing up and helps develop so many positive aspects of a women.

I’m sorry about the dinner thing. I do that all the time and I always always regret it. Have a good day in the sun. I’m in VA in the rainy, cold weather ๐Ÿ™‚

17 Kara November 14, 2009 at 2:16 pm

OMG, now I can’t stop thinking about ice cream sundae waffles…and I don’t even know what that entails! I know your pancakes were probably great, but I wish you had ordered that instead so I could see what it looks like ๐Ÿ™‚

18 Matt November 14, 2009 at 2:28 pm

Wow those pancakes look amazing. They might even look better than mine ๐Ÿ˜‰

19 Lesley November 14, 2009 at 2:43 pm

MM those desserts!

Random question: Where did you get Maddie? I’m looking to adopt a dog and I don’t know where to start!

20 Meghann November 14, 2009 at 2:55 pm

I got her from a breeder in Ocala. ๐Ÿ™‚

21 Becky November 14, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Yumyum! Your food looks spectacular! Last year we went to a wedding in Winter Park. It is such a cute little town!!! Between the ceremony and reception, the hubby and I checked out the Ravenous Pig Gastropub. I had South Hampton Double White Ale and it was divine!!! Too bad they don’t sell it in Arizona ๐Ÿ™ Next time we are in Orlando I will be going back to Winter Park!

22 Jenna November 14, 2009 at 3:49 pm

glad your dinner wasn’t that great but i have learned that too, you should usually order what they are famous for!
the desserts look so yummy! i am glad you had a nice night with the fam and then breaky in the AM with your dad ๐Ÿ™‚
jenna

23 Ali November 14, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Wow looks like a fun night! Those desserts look so good. Especially the peanut butter thingy!!! WOWIE!!! I love peanut butter flavored desserts! So. Good.

That stinks that the movie wasn’t great! I have to admit, movies like that totally scare me. Thinking about the end of the world is SCARY!!!

Pancakes look great too, makes me want to make some, maybe tomorrow.

24 Marissa November 14, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Look at that cute little puppy head tilt!!!! Those pancakes look amazing! Is it just me or do fries off of another person’s plate always taste better? ha ha ๐Ÿ™‚

25 healthy ashley November 14, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Those pancakes!!! Yum!

It looks like a fun time with your dad ๐Ÿ™‚

26 Annamarina November 14, 2009 at 4:09 pm

I LOVE the Briar Patch for breakfast! I always make my brother take me there when I am in Winter Park visiting him. Next time I visit, I think I will have to make him take me to the Dessert Lady…YUM!

27 allijag November 14, 2009 at 4:38 pm

AWWW scooby and maddie – now that is my kind of post! ๐Ÿ™‚

looks like you are having a great time – you really do have the sweetest parents in the whole wide world! ๐Ÿ™‚ (and to think this time last year – we were wrapping up at the tasting pavilion…ahh those were the days ๐Ÿ˜‰

28 Christy November 14, 2009 at 6:03 pm

i loooveee Briar Patch!! last time i went [which was a while ago] i had this delish oatmeal & fruit dish!

29 Gab* November 14, 2009 at 6:21 pm

Breakfast looks much better than dinner! Breakfast is one of my favourite meals to eat out. Hope you enjoyed hanging out with your Dad!

30 Lizzy November 14, 2009 at 6:32 pm

That dessert sampler seriously looks amazing! i love desserts so i know i would totally love this! ๐Ÿ™‚

31 Sarah (Finding My Balance) November 14, 2009 at 7:18 pm

dogs, Dad, and desserts. i think you have it all!

your weekend looks amazing so far–keep having fun!

32 Katie November 14, 2009 at 7:44 pm

Dessert sampler looks amaaaazing. Reeses cheesecake yum!

Your weekend looks like a blast full of great food and great family.

Hope it continues to go well! And girl you are getting so FAST!

33 legalstyle November 14, 2009 at 7:46 pm

carrot cake carrot cake carrot cake yum yum yum. glad you had a nice run this morning! i’m headed out for one shortly!

34 runeatsleep November 14, 2009 at 8:22 pm

OMG, the dessert sampler looks AMAZING! And the pancakes look good too…gotta love the good food!

35 Courtney November 14, 2009 at 8:41 pm

Wow, fun times! Good to know about 2012, I’ll save my time! ๐Ÿ˜‰ your dad seems like a cool cat!

36 erinstark November 14, 2009 at 9:01 pm

More pics of Scooby please! I love him ๐Ÿ™‚

37 TorontoGirloutWest November 14, 2009 at 10:05 pm

Such fantastic eats and wonderful outings! You’re definitely making the best of your weekend!!!! ?

38 Erin November 14, 2009 at 10:33 pm

Those puppers are sooo cute! Your eats look amazing this weekend – gotta love dinner dates with Dad!

39 dorothy November 14, 2009 at 10:52 pm

pancakes, carrot cakes, cheesecakes! aaah too much food jealousy to handle ๐Ÿ˜‰

btw, ive been wanting to get edys slow churned ever since i saw your peppermint and pumpkin deliciousnesses. which flavor do you prefer? and have you ever tried eggnog cause that looks amazing too! thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

40 Jenny November 15, 2009 at 11:53 am

Your dogs look like mine!! One little and one big ๐Ÿ™‚ gosh those guys are super cuuuute