Breakfast Sweet Tooth

by Meghann on November 13, 2009

Its Friday!

Can you believe a week ago today I was on a plane to San Francisco?!?! I wish I could just keep reliving that weekend experience over and over again.

Derek and I were actually playing around on a few airline sites yesterday and found some very reasonable flights to San Francisco at the end of April. Nothing is officially booked yet, but the idea of going back is very tempting. πŸ˜‰

This morning I woke up to another gorgeous cool morning. I took advantage by opening up my sliding glass door and practicing Sculpt Yoga on ExerciseTv on demand in the nice cool breeze.

I then whittled away my middle with an impromptu ab routine that consisted of planks, crunches, and boat poses.

After my shower I was more than ready for a hot breakfast to warm up with in my now chilly apartment.

Enter: Hot Apples in a Jar

IMG_5552

I took advantage of a near empty Almond Butter Jar and filled it with 1/2 an Apple, Granola and Apple Sauce that I had nuked for a minute.

IMG_5550

The results were warm, gooey, and delicious. Yum!

IMG_5554

All Gone!

IMG_5557

After reading all the hot breakfast suggestions from my post yesterday morning I came to the conclusion that I always crave sweet things in the morning. Occasionally I will have eggs for breakfast, but usually I add something sweet to the eggs like a jam or pumpkin butter or I just save eggs for lunch or dinner.

And even through idea of adding hot milk to a cereal sounds like a good one; the thought of milk on cereal (any form of milk not just cow’s milk) is not appealing to me at all. Just thinking about drinking straight cold or hot milk makes my stomach churn. I can’t even stand coconut water because the taste and texture reminds me too much of milk. Yuck!

So, the conclusion I have come to is if I want a hot breakfast that Hot Apples seems to be the best option for now. I do plan to experiment with other hot breakfast options for now. I like the idea of eating a warm breakfast that will fill and warm me up. Something that I know my favorite cereals, cold oats, and yogurt topped waffles will never do. πŸ™‚

Do you crave sweet or savory in the morning?

1 Paige@ Running Around Normal November 13, 2009 at 9:46 am

Mmm that looks delicious!

2 megan November 13, 2009 at 9:46 am

I think I crave sweet things in the morning as well. I have a huge sweet tooth though! As I read your post, I was mixing plenty of honey into my morning yogurt πŸ™‚

3 balancedbean November 13, 2009 at 9:55 am

It’s so funny that I’ve been reading your blog for months now and never noticed that you never used milk! πŸ™‚

4 Lauren November 13, 2009 at 9:59 am

I usually crave savory things. But I do love oats in a jar. So delicious!

5 Diana November 13, 2009 at 10:01 am

It honestly depends on the day! Sometimes I just want savory goodness and other days I’m all for sweet oatmeal. πŸ™‚

6 Evan Thomas November 13, 2009 at 10:19 am

TGIF! And I need a sweet start to my day

7 Jenna November 13, 2009 at 10:20 am

sweets are always great in the morning!!
jenna

8 Allison November 13, 2009 at 10:21 am

I think I crave sweets at every meal….

9 Kelly from Bridges and Bites November 13, 2009 at 10:24 am

I think I also crave sweet things in the morning. Or a combination of both. I really like having things like fruit or yogurt in the morning!

10 eaternotarunner November 13, 2009 at 10:29 am

Definitely sweet things, something about savory food in the morning grosses me out!

11 Matt November 13, 2009 at 10:32 am

I usually crave sweet. Sometimes I will eat eggs or something, but very rarely. Now that it is winter, I am all about the oatmeal πŸ™‚

12 Lizzy November 13, 2009 at 10:32 am

have a sweet in the morning is always a good thing! πŸ™‚

13 Kat November 13, 2009 at 10:35 am

I have started to make more sweet things like Pumpkin and Pb oats, but I will always be a savory girl. Breakfast burritos, eggs and toast, veggie sausage will always be my favorite. I love hot sauce with breakfast!

14 VeggieGirl November 13, 2009 at 10:36 am

Can’t go wrong with TJ’s raw almond butter – my favorite πŸ™‚

I like sweet.

15 greensandjeans November 13, 2009 at 10:38 am

I’m totally 50/50, which makes ordering breakfast when I eat out REALLY hard! The constant “do I want eggs, or do I want pancakes?” debate…

16 DiningAndDishing November 13, 2009 at 10:40 am

I always crave sweet! Pancakes are my fave thing to order when I’m dining out and sweet oatmeal is my favorite thing to make in the morning!

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

17 Marisa (Trim The Fat) November 13, 2009 at 10:52 am

I mainly crave sweet in the morning, but I do love a good egg sandwich, too!

18 Morgan @ Life After Bagels November 13, 2009 at 10:52 am

I better make my morning like yours, whittle my middle, shower, apples in a jar. Yes sounds delightful.

19 brandi November 13, 2009 at 10:54 am

you should also try that with:
pears
peaches (frozen or fresh)
berries

great breakfast!

I usually want sweet, too, but I love eggs…

20 Lindsay @ bananaandchocolate November 13, 2009 at 10:58 am

Your hot apples look so good! That’s a great idea for a warm breakfast.

Most of the time I prefer a sweet breakfast. My favorite sweet breakfast is oats topped with a few chocolate chips and peanut butter. It’s just sweet enough.

21 meyergirl November 13, 2009 at 11:04 am

It really depends on my mood. Sometimes I want something sweet like pancakes w/ syrup and sometimes I want bacon or ham and eggs.

22 ClassroomConfessions November 13, 2009 at 11:10 am

Left you a surprise on my blog!

23 ellie November 13, 2009 at 11:13 am

I need sweet stuff in the morning. I like omelettes and stuff, just not for breakfast. Cooked fruit is awesome- I keep meaning to try baking a squash and filling with baked apple with a granola topping πŸ˜€

24 megan November 13, 2009 at 11:21 am

I was planning on roasting an acorn squash tonight for dinner, but I checked this morning and it has mold on one small part of it! Can I just cut that part off and roast the rest? It’s only been on my counter for a week. I think there was a cut in the skin and juice was leaking out. I’m hoping I can still use the rest of it. does anybody know?

25 Nicci@NiftyEats November 13, 2009 at 11:33 am

I’m with you on the sweet cravings,

26 Nicci@NiftyEats November 13, 2009 at 11:34 am

I’m with you on the sweet cravings. I like to eat oatmeal and sprinkle some brown sugar and natural sweets with fruits for breakfast.

27 Anne Marie@ New Weigh of Life November 13, 2009 at 11:48 am

Savory in the morning, sweet by the afternoon.

28 Alison November 13, 2009 at 11:49 am

I am actually a pretty basic morning eater – I love a good bowl of wheat cereal with banana or Cheerios. My sweet tooth kicks in by the evening – I could care less about sweets during the day, but something about the night time brings out those sweet cravings.

29 Courtney November 13, 2009 at 11:51 am

I crave savory…I love to make eggs of some kind for breakfast. Or I eat leftovers for breakfast, that is my fave!
I am from Wisconsin (the dairy state) and would just about drop over dead if I had to drink a glass of milk. It grosses me out as well!

Courtney
Adventures in Tri-ing

30 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) November 13, 2009 at 12:10 pm

I am totally all for savory in the morning. Sometimes I’ll have a yogurt or a smoothie but it doesn’t do the trick the way a savory breakfast does.

Do you have a waffle maker? Maybe you can make a big batch and freeze them and then pop them in the toaster when you want them? And top with hot apples of course.

31 Allison November 13, 2009 at 12:13 pm

I totally crave savory in the morning!

I don’t know that I’ve ever heard of a boat pose. Enlighten us!

32 skinnyrunner November 13, 2009 at 12:15 pm

im more savory in the morning and sweet the rest of the day. i wish it was the other way around! happy friday!!

33 legalstyle November 13, 2009 at 12:43 pm

Wish you were still here in San Francisco! I loved reading your recaps!

The weather is gorgeous today πŸ™‚

34 Laura S November 13, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Why do you have such an aversion to milk? Are you allergic/have a bad experience? It’s one of my favorite things to drink and I couldn’t imagine not using it!

35 Meghann November 13, 2009 at 12:54 pm

I’m not allergic but everytime I drink anything ‘milk like’ I picture it curdling in my stomach and it makes me want to vomit.

36 Chrysta November 13, 2009 at 12:50 pm

hhmm i usually crave something savory in the morning. My sweet tooth doesnt kick in until after dinner unfortunently!

37 Fallon November 13, 2009 at 12:51 pm

I never did reply back to your hot breakfast post but I do have 2 breakfasts I enjoy, hot and semi-hot. Have you ever had Ezekiel bread? Sprouted whole grain bread? Well if not you must try it. I know Wholefoods and Trader Joe’s carries it. I use this bread as my base for both breakfasts. I toast the bread to warm and give it that nutty taste. First option- smear avocado and either a hard boiled egg or a quickly cooked egg on top, with several tomatos on top. Second option- smear of extra virgin coconut oil and sprinkle flax meal/cinnamon/stevia. I will have some fruit as a side if I’m in the mood too. This holds me for at least 3 hours till I’m ready for a snack!

38 Tay November 13, 2009 at 1:01 pm

I LOVE sweet in the morning. I always sweeten up everything I eat!

39 littlemissminny November 13, 2009 at 1:05 pm

I crave sweet in the morning. Sometimes I think how eggs or a nice sandwich would be good too, but sweet is the way. I can’t stomach savory so early really

40 Sammi November 13, 2009 at 1:13 pm

I crave sweets all the time but normally I like having some sort of eggs in the morning. I need to start eating eggs for breakfast more often. I’ve kind of fallen off from doing that recently. They keep me full the longest though which is a major plus for me when it comes to breakfast.

41 Julie November 13, 2009 at 1:20 pm

I totally crave sweet in the morning, I save savory oats and eggs for dinner.

42 Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) November 13, 2009 at 1:49 pm

I love eating breakfast out of the jar to get the last bit of nut butter out…so satisfying!

43 Katherine November 13, 2009 at 1:49 pm

You can also heat up some frozen berries on waffles or pancakes! Or make some batter the night before for a small batch of muffins – warm and fresh out of the oven πŸ™‚

I find the heated frozen berries are best on the stove in a pot. Top that with granola πŸ™‚

44 anutritionisteats November 13, 2009 at 1:50 pm

I’m all the way savory….I had oatmeal & almond butter today but usually have eggs and toast.

45 Ali November 13, 2009 at 1:56 pm

breakfast looks so good. I love making things in the jar= no clean up and that makes me πŸ™‚

46 Brie (The Fit Bride) November 13, 2009 at 2:23 pm

What about toast and almond butter? I have cinnamon toast with AB in the winter a lot–I hate oatmeal too! It’s not HOT, but it’s at least warm.

47 Amanda @ Cakes and Ale November 13, 2009 at 3:00 pm

I only like sweet breakfasts too… eggs in the morning just don’t do it for me!

I do LOVE milk however!

48 Becky November 13, 2009 at 3:07 pm

I didn’t get a chance to comment on your last post, but had a few thoughts! My favorite “hot” breakfast is usually toast with melty peanut butter, but what if you made a breakfast soup/mash with apples and squash or sweet potatoes or rice (or all of the above, topped with granola!)?

49 Courtney November 13, 2009 at 4:49 pm

I DO I DO! I also have this weird notion in my mind that if I have something sweet in the morning, I won’t want anything sweet later. SO, I have my oatmeal with nut butter and banana with a tablespoon of chocolate chips – it makes me so happy! I keep wanting to make a breakfast cookie with the same things….maybe this weekend….

50 Dani November 13, 2009 at 5:19 pm

I’m like you and tend to stick on the sweet side. Eggs in the morning is kind of weird, I enjoy them more for lunch or dinner for some odd reason. As for your warm breakfast dilemma, this is along the same lines as your warmed apples, but I love it when my mom makes homemade applesauce, I usually eat it right after its done cooking off the stove top warm. You could probably just take some regular old applesauce and sprinkle it with cereals/granolas/nuts/cinnamon after its been warmed.

51 Susan November 13, 2009 at 6:19 pm

I’m aaalll about the sweet in the morning! But for some reason, if I work out first, I want something savoury after. Can’t stomach sweet things after a sweat sesh I guess.

52 Jess November 13, 2009 at 9:52 pm

I prefer sweet for breakfast too. Even if I do something savoury I usually pair it with some fruit or something to appease my tastebuds.

It would be cool if you were in San Francisco at the end of April. I’m actually going to be there running Big Sur (my first marathon). Maybe you should run too πŸ˜‰ It is supposed to be one of the best marathons in the world.

53 wnk505 November 13, 2009 at 9:54 pm

I had no idea you hated milk so much. I usually prefer sweet but I have my days when i really want a savory meal.

Sweet meals just seem easier to make and easier to bring around

54 Hangry Pants November 14, 2009 at 12:02 am

mmm sweets and breakfast. i want pancakes.

55 MarathonVal November 14, 2009 at 12:13 am

Oddly enough, 99% of my day is spent craving sweets but I often want something savory in the morning! However, I like how I feel best after having my fresh GM’s in the morning, and I haven’t found a savory equivalent of that yet… I dont know how I feel about a savory GM, haha….

56 Danica November 14, 2009 at 1:57 am

Ahhhhhh ~ I was all set to make this today since I finally have a jar of Almond Butter Ready,….I ended up trading it for a LF berry peach scone. Now I NEED to make it after seeing this πŸ™‚

57 Marissa November 14, 2009 at 10:07 am

In the mornings, I always crave sweet! And usually something carby, as I try to to get most of my carbs in early or before my workouts. I don’t know how you don’t love oatmeal! :O

You can nuke almost any fruit though, especially if its frozen beforehand, and it will get hot and syruppy… try pouring that over yogurt for like a breakfast sundae? lol. That’s all I got! πŸ™‚

58 Danielle November 14, 2009 at 10:11 am

I totally understand where you are coming from about wanting to go back to San Francisco soon! Some friends and I are already considering another trip, and are even considering running the Nike Women’s Marathon again, soon!

Danielle

59 Jenny November 14, 2009 at 12:53 pm

Whenever I go out to eat with friends I usually end up getting eggs or an omelette concoction, like everyone else. Apparently, although I didn’t realize it, I also say afterwards that I wish I had gotten the french toast or the pancakes. Now my friends won’t let me order anything but the sweet things!! And I’ll admit, they do taste so much better πŸ™‚