7 Mile Make Up

by Meghann on November 12, 2009

Good Morning!

I hope the weather is great where you are because the temps are fabulous here. πŸ™‚ It may be a little cloudy and gloomy, but the cool, crisp temps more than make up for it.

Since I missed my 7 mile run on Tuesday I decided to make it up this morning. Thanks to the cool temps I took off without a problem. There is something about cooler weather that always makes me run faster. I managed to complete my 7 miles with a 9:12 per mile pace. I felt fabulous.

When I returned to the apartment I was thankful for the Pumpkin Cookie I had waiting for me in the fridge.

IMG_5499

Last night I combined 1/2 cup Rolled Oats, Pumpkin, Almond Butter, Hazelnuts Raisins, Chia Seeds and Cinnamon in a small bowl. I flattened the contents on a plate and let it firm up over night in the fridge.

IMG_5497

This morning I topped the cookie with plain yogurt, 1/2 a apple and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

The pumpkin cookie was fabulous, but I wish I would had had something warm to eat. Does anyone have any other suggestions for hot breakfasts on cool mornings like this one? We don’t have mornings like these every day in Florida, but its nice to have a warm back up for when we do.

P.S. I know the first thing that comes to everyone’s mind is hot oatmeal, but I really dislike hot oatmeal –its a consistency thing. Maybe I should have tried putting the breakfast cookie in the microwave for a few seconds?

1 Lizzie November 12, 2009 at 9:49 am

My sister makes egg whites in the microwave then wraps them up in a corn tortilla with hot sauce!

2 megan November 12, 2009 at 9:52 am

Like Lizzie – I was going to suggest eggs. They’re so quick to scramble and so delicious and hot. πŸ™‚ Sometimes I also make them sunny side up and eat them on a toasted english muffin or sandwich thing. Add a little laughing cow cheese and dill (seriously the best egg sandwich seasoning) and you have a nice hot healthy breakfast sandwich! so good. I eat them for dinner a lot actually

3 Janie November 12, 2009 at 9:52 am

I really like the breakfast cookie after a short spin in the microwave. I usually don’t do more than 30 seconds, but it makes it very tasty:)

4 kristen November 12, 2009 at 9:53 am

maybe you can invent some sort of breakfast soup…because the only quick hot breakfast i can think of that isn’t oatmeal is cream of wheat or Bob’s Red Mill “Mighty Hot and Tasty” cereal- and if you don’t like the consistency of oatmeal, you probably won’t like the texture of those either.

maybe just pair your breakfast with some hot tea?

5 dailygoods November 12, 2009 at 9:54 am

wow congrats on your 7 miler! speed demon! You’ve truly inspired me to run more, and to run better Meghann! Yesterday I really wanted to get out there and run, but it was rainy out and pretty chilly. I was going to wimp out, but I thought, you know what? If i can run outside in this weather, then I have no excuses not to run outside any other time. I stuck it out, and ran in the rain. It actually felt amazing! Hope to keep improving and I can’t wait πŸ™‚ Thank youuu for inspiring me!

Oh, and maybe have some pancakes for breakfast? I know that the ww mix that I use really fills me up and is a great way to have something warm and comforting in the morning πŸ™‚

6 Robyn November 12, 2009 at 10:02 am

I loveeee a good morning run! Thank you for inspiring me to get my butt out of bed some mornings. Whenever I don’t want to go I think about how you are probably getting out of bed too around 5:45 and hitting the pavement. Just knowing somebody else is doing it to is so motivating!!

I love freezing homemade waffles/ pancakes and warming them up with cooked apples for breakfast mmmmm!

Quick question…I remember you had to reset your Garmin one time because it wouldnt’ turn on. I was heading out for a run and my Garmin wouldn’t turn on AT ALL. How did you end up fixing it because I’m kinda freaking out!!?

Have a great day πŸ™‚

7 biz319 November 12, 2009 at 10:07 am

A veggie frittata is always good – I have one for breakfast today. 4 ounces canned potato (because they are cheap and already cooked), 3 ounces shredded zucchini, 1 ounce herbed goat cheese and 1 cup egg beaters. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

You could make it the night before and just hit it up in the microwave.

Glad you got your run in! πŸ˜€

It was 42 degrees and sunny on my morning walk this morning! πŸ˜€

8 Shannon November 12, 2009 at 10:08 am

what about warming up your apple a few sec in the microwave? it might even get your apt smelling like apple pie πŸ™‚

maddie is adorable!!! i love last night’s video πŸ™‚ it was so great to spend some more time with you this past weekend! and run! unfortunately my crock didn’t make it home intact πŸ™

9 Jessica November 12, 2009 at 10:14 am

I’ve been slicing an apple, adding cinnamon and then heating in the microwave for 2 minutes until it gets soft. Top with greek yogurt – yum!

10 Liza November 12, 2009 at 10:14 am

Meghann I love cinnamon toast!!!! But the only downfall is that its not savoey like oats are. I dont know, I think you should maybe try to heat up the oatmeal cookie!. Oh sounds like you had a great run this morning, dont you just love that. I had a 9 miler this morning and it was great. Have good day I look forward to see what your lunch is!!!

11 Kasondra November 12, 2009 at 10:16 am

I find that even if you have a cold breakfast hot tea helps!!

12 Eva November 12, 2009 at 10:20 am

Omelettes; nuke ricotta with eggs and syrup and cinnamon; breakfast sandwich

13 RunToTheFinish November 12, 2009 at 10:22 am

I like to take some egg beaters, spinach, mushrooms, red peppers and cook them up in the microwave or skillet. Then enjoy with a little toast!

14 VeggieGirl November 12, 2009 at 10:22 am

I eat my oatmeal cold too, haha πŸ˜‰

15 Matt November 12, 2009 at 10:24 am

How about eggs on toast, warm granola, waffles, pancakes, french toast…. The possibilitites are basically endless with breakfast. You just have to be creative.

16 Morgan @ Life After Bagels November 12, 2009 at 10:26 am

If you want some cool weather you could visit me, yesterday when I went out for my run it was ONE DEGREE CELSIUS . . . that’s chilly!

17 Molly @vegandorm November 12, 2009 at 10:31 am

i definitely prefer hot oatmeal to cold, but there are definitely other warm breakfasts!
obviously toast (or french toast) is a classic. i also like to warm up apples and other fruit and top it with granola. there’s also eggs, I suppose.

18 MelissaNibbles November 12, 2009 at 10:34 am

I like putting Greek yogurt over Kashi GoLean Crunch and then heating it in the microwave for about 20 seconds. The yogurt is almost like icing and the cereal gets nice and warm.

19 eaternotarunner November 12, 2009 at 10:39 am

That pumpkin cookie looks so good! I think pumpkin pancakes are also a winner. Have you ever tried other cereal hot? I had some Kashi Island Vanilla (its like vanilla shredded wheat) and i would make that with hot milk….delicious!

20 Katie November 12, 2009 at 10:49 am

I was wondering the same thing! I am not an oatmeal fan taste and texture. Plus for w/e reason it is really hard on my tummy.

The cookie sounds good though!

Congrats on the 7 I’m aiming for 9 tomorrow, a little nervous been a while!

21 Lauren November 12, 2009 at 10:52 am

I think it is funny that you don’t like hot oatmeal’s consistency but you can eat Split Pea Soup….I’d take the oatmeal anyday πŸ™‚

22 Allison November 12, 2009 at 10:53 am

Waffles! Pumpkin waffles, apple cinnamon waffles, cranberry walnut waffles… Yum!

Also, pancakes with granola and fruit in them. I know you eat a lof of granola, and if you mix it in with pancake batter and some fruit (bananas and apples work well, in my opinion) they are SUPER filling.

The great thing is – batter can be mixed the night before! And, you can make a bit batch of waffles or pancakes on the weekends and heat them up for fast weekday breakfasts. :o)

23 Evan Thomas November 12, 2009 at 10:59 am

I like a quick apple crisp- dice an apple and microwave it for 5 minutes, pile on peanut butter and granola, and enjoy!

24 The Pancake Girl November 12, 2009 at 11:02 am

Pancakes!! If you want something quicker in the am, what about a warm breakfast sandwich, or a warmed chunk of banana bread and fruit, something like that..?

Have a good day!

(www.joelygolightly.wordpress.com)

25 Tay November 12, 2009 at 11:04 am

What about a warm quinoa or couscous dish? Similar to oatmeal, but a different consistency. I used to make a delicious whole wheat couscous breakfast with a mashed banana, soymilk, cinnamon….it was like pudding!

26 Whitney @ Lettuce Love November 12, 2009 at 11:05 am

I love having hot tea and hot chocolate in the morning — not a filling breakfast but at least it is warm.

27 bobbi November 12, 2009 at 11:09 am

YES nuke the cookie it’s just as good πŸ™‚

28 Jess November 12, 2009 at 11:17 am

French toast!

29 Lauren November 12, 2009 at 11:19 am

Have you tried slightly undercooked oatmeal? I love Kath’s oatmeal recipes, however, the idea of “whipped’ oatmeal grosses me out because of the consistency. I get rolled oats and cook them for a little over half the suggested cooking time so they still have some bite to them. I also can’t eat them cooked in the microwave because the oats seem to (eew) dissolve. I really started to like oatmeal once I realized it didn’t have to be a bowl of porridgey mush πŸ™‚

30 Anne P November 12, 2009 at 11:21 am

it’s cold and rainy here, sniff.

p.s. how come you like overnight oats but not hot oats?! try adding yogurt to hot oats, it’s really yummy and more like overnight oat consistency??

31 Lindsay @ bananaandchocolate November 12, 2009 at 11:21 am

Your breakfast cookie looks really good!

For a hot breakfast I like egg sandwiches. They are pretty quick and super filling.

32 ellie November 12, 2009 at 11:22 am

I only like the texture of cooked oats once they are cold (is that weird? So gummy!) I love peanut butter “quesadillads”- wholewheat tortilla, PB, banana or jam (plum jam is delish!) and ‘fry’ it like a quesadilla. I also love oven baked rice pudding for breakfast. Another idea is hot milk over cereal- I love my cereal soggy so this works for me, but if you are a ‘crunch’ person, maybe not the best πŸ˜€ French toast, waffles, etc, topped with stewed fruit can be warming. And there is always stuff like eggs, breakfast burritos, breakfast sandwiches…

33 chandra November 12, 2009 at 11:23 am

I’m with the egg people here. πŸ™‚ I’m all about some eggs & toast or an egg sandwich/burrito in the mornings lately!! And being able to microwave egg beaters makes it so much easier.

34 Emily November 12, 2009 at 11:29 am

* Toasted sandwich with pb, banana, and honey * Regular old cereal with heated milk * Eggs * I’m sure there’s more, but when I lived in FL I ate a 1/2bagel with pb and a 1/2C of chocolate milk from the dinning hall pretty much everyday!!

35 caronae November 12, 2009 at 11:32 am

Eggs? Toast with pb and j? Waffles with fruit and yogurt?

36 Runeatrepeat November 12, 2009 at 11:37 am

Make hot “cold” cereal. It works best with hearty cereal like granola, grape nuts or shredded wheat. Just heat up the milk and pour it over the cereal. So good!

37 Meghann November 12, 2009 at 11:40 am

I like the *idea* of warm milk over cereal, but I am just not a milk person. Any time I drink milk or chocoalte milk straight up I picture it curdling in my stomach and I tend to throw it up because of that. Would hot yogurt work?

38 ellie November 12, 2009 at 11:53 am

hot yogurt is kind of gross, but see if you can find Quark- very similar to Greek yogurt, but thicker and technically cheese so melts and is really good hot. Or soy/almond milk? Hot coffee is delicious over cereal!

39 DiningAndDishing November 12, 2009 at 11:37 am

This breakfast is AMAZING: 2 pieces of wheat toast, topped with a warm, mashed banana, almond butter and cinnamon. Try it!! :O)

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

40 megzzwinsatlife November 12, 2009 at 11:39 am

A warm waffle or warm pancakes with some warm maple syrup??

41 TorontoGirloutWest November 12, 2009 at 11:39 am

I totally get why hot oatmeal can feel funky. It is rather mushy!

Have you ever tried steel cut oats? They feel slightly different – less mush and more creamy. If you’re open to that kind of deal! lol πŸ™‚

On cold days (pretty well half the year here in the Rockies) I don’t always eat warm things. But when I do my breakfasts often involve eggs or whole wheat pancakes.

42 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) November 12, 2009 at 11:40 am

I don’t like hot oatmeal either! I thought I was the only one!

I like breakfast sandwiches in the morning. Ham, cheese and eggs. But you could totally make it healthier with mushrooms, bell peppers, tomatoes and what not.

43 LisaM November 12, 2009 at 11:55 am

Oatmeal pancake! It is very easy to make and a nice break from cold cereal/cold oats.
soak 1/3 to 1/2 C of oats overnight in water. In the morning, pre-heat your pan and add 1/3 to 1/2 c of egg whites and pinch of baking powder. Let the egg-oat-BP mix sit while the pan gets hot. Add the mix to the pan and spread it with a spatula. It will be runny BUT it will cook and puff up. Flip the pancake once when you can move it with the spatula. Top with nuts, fruit, syrup, etc.

44 Brandi November 12, 2009 at 11:58 am

glad you had a good run!

Hm…warm breakfasts:
heat up the cookie πŸ™‚
top it with a microwaved apple or pear
toast with jam/nut butter/fruit
toasted pb&j/fruit sandwich

45 carolyn~ November 12, 2009 at 12:02 pm

I make a protien pancake…equal parts of (usually 1/4 or 1/3 cup of each…depends on my cardio that day πŸ™‚ )
* dry oatmeal (I use the old fashioned style)
* Cottage Cheese (I use either 1 or 2%)
* Egg substitute
I also add in some ground flax, pinch of sea salt,cinnamon and sometimes nutmeg,vanilla and/or almond extract, and maybe a little agave or splenda.
I blend this all up with my immersion blender and then spray a little pam (butter flavored) in the pan and cook one big pancake.

Once it is done I either put either almond or peanut butter and some fruit spread and roll it up or maybe syrup! Hope you give it a try.

46 Amelia November 12, 2009 at 12:14 pm

omelet
frittata
quinoa with over easy egg on top
french toast or french toast sticks
waffles
sweet potato pancakes
poached pears with granola & yogurt
breakfast burrito
1/2 baked potato w/ poached egg

47 Leah November 12, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Fav warm breakfasts: grits, pancakes, scrambles, french toast, breakfast sandwich, plain old eggs + toast

48 Chrysta November 12, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Congrats on the run. What an awesome looking breakfast!

49 janetha November 12, 2009 at 1:03 pm

there is snow in the forecast for us.. and i am HAPPY about it! bring it on! delish cookie. hmm aside from hot oats, other hot breakfasts that i like are egg scrambles with lots of veggies and protein pancakes! have a great day meghann!

50 Julie November 12, 2009 at 1:09 pm

egg sammies, pancakes/waffles/french toast, omelets, warm toast…?, that’s all I got!

51 Lauren November 12, 2009 at 1:09 pm

Egg in a basket/hole! (Or, as they’re called in my family, Rocky Mountain Breakfast. Have NO idea where this originated from).

52 Angela November 12, 2009 at 1:23 pm

Biscuits and Gravy Meggy mmmmmm

53 Sammi November 12, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Breakfast burritos are really good! If you like guacamole, it can take the usual scrambled eggs and tortilla one step up! The good thing about this meal is you can add whatever you want into the scrambled eggs.

54 Paige November 12, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Jimmy Dean’s D-Lite breakfast sandwiches are SO good. I am a teacher, so I have to be at work early. The turkey sausage croissant (sandwiches) are great, and come in at less than 300 calories. I pair it with a banana…and I am satisfied until lunch!

55 Jenna November 12, 2009 at 2:19 pm

i suggest popping the cookie into the micro for a few πŸ™‚
jenna

56 Kelly November 12, 2009 at 2:48 pm

If you don’t like the consistancy of oatmeal try making the same type of breakfast with quinoa or brown rice. Both work and taste really well. You can use leftovers instead of making them fresh every morning.

My other trick is to make a bunch of waffles and freeze them in pairs so I can just toss them in the toaster.

Also you could do a taco/burrito – corn tortilla, brown rice, salsa, guacamole.

57 inmytummy November 12, 2009 at 2:58 pm

I eat an egg sandwich pretty much every day. I just microwave 1/2 cup egg beaters and put it on either bread or an english muffin with a slice of cheese.

58 Tina November 12, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Mmm that cookie looks awesome. I haven’t had one of those in so long!

59 Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) November 12, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Congrats on the 7 miler!

I think the cookie would be the perfect warm breakfast after a quick spin in the microwave. Yum!

60 Stephanie November 12, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Do you like oat bran? I cook with a little less water so it’s less mushy and more cake-like. Then I top it with stuff.

61 rebecca lustig November 12, 2009 at 4:08 pm

That cookie looks absolutely delectable! I bet it would be delicious in the microwave for like 25 seconds πŸ™‚ YUM

have a fantastic day lovely lady!
becca

62 Annie November 12, 2009 at 4:12 pm

When you make oatmeal, pour in the water so it juuuust covers the oats and then microwave it, it gives it more of a chewy consistency – it’s good! It used to be the only way I would eat oatmeal.

63 Laura November 12, 2009 at 4:44 pm

For a quick on-the-go breakfast drink, you could heat up some soy or dairy milk and mix with protein powder or something to that effect. Like hot chocolate, but with more protein and other nutrients!

64 Graze With Me November 12, 2009 at 5:08 pm

When I make my bfast cookies I actually heat them up for a couple minutes in the microwave. You know how cookies are the best straight from the oven? Same thing! And it’s perfect with yogurt topping, warm and cool together.

65 Bekah November 12, 2009 at 5:44 pm

mmm your pumpkin cookie looks ahmazing. drool.

you could try pumpkin pancakes.. Basically the same ingredients you use in your cookies with a little more liquid, and you can just fry em in a pan, and wa la.. Pumpkin pancakes. (Or any other variation for that matter.)