Feeling Like Myself Again

by Meghann on November 11, 2009

I slept like a baby last night.

In bed by 8:30, fast asleep before 9:00 and up and roaring to go at 5:30. Those 8.5 hours of sleep were exactly what my body was craving. I feel alert, awake and abnormally cheerful – it feels good to be back to normal. πŸ™‚

Per my marathon training schedule I set out on a 3 mile run with 6×100 strides this morning. It drizzled a little towards the end of my run, but besides that the run was very uneventful.

Breakfast was my new favorite combination: Almond Butter + Pumpkin Butter.

IMG_5426

On two slices of whole Wheat Toast I smothered a generous helping of both Almond Butter and Pumpkin Butter, then sprinkled with Flax Seed and Raisins.

IMG_5428

On the side I enjoyed a Frog Hollow Pear that survived the trip back home with me from San Francisco.

IMG_5430

The Frog Hollow Pears were the hit of the weekend. Its a shame I didn’t manage to smuggle back anymore. πŸ™

iMovie Help…

On my run this morning I thought of the perfect concept for my Sam-e Good Mood Gig video entry. The only problem is I’m not quite sure how to properly execute it. My idea involves some voice over and words on the screen.

I have iMovie on my Mac, which I know is a great video edit program, but I have no clue how to use it. Does anyone out there mind giving me a quick run through of how the program works or can share a link to an in depth tutorial?

Thanks!

1 sisrocks1996 November 11, 2009 at 9:26 am

I just sort of played on it. It’s pretty limited what it can do. It can add music and transitions though. You just take the video and upload it to IMovie then there are buttons to click. A music note dictates music and it will open ITunes. It’s pretty self explanatory. πŸ™‚ IF you need help though leave me a message and I can email you to try to figure it out.

2 Mish November 11, 2009 at 9:27 am

Glad you’re feeling like yourself again. I am about to hit the hay and I am telling you the single most important thing to a healthy lifestyle is sleep…at least for me.

3 fittipexchange November 11, 2009 at 9:31 am

When I was a broadcast major I did some digital editing…never with mac, but some of the programs I used were probably similar. Let me know if you want some help!

Sarah

4 megan November 11, 2009 at 9:32 am

sorry to say I can offer zero advice on your mac problems, but I can’t wait to hear about your idea πŸ™‚

5 Sammi November 11, 2009 at 9:33 am

I’m glad you’re feeling better!

I can help with basic imovie stuff.. are you using a separate voice recorder to do the voice over? If so you can just just drag it into your video wherever you want it. You could also get JUST audio on a video camera if you leave the lens cap on.

As far as words on the screen you can drag images in too. You may have to splice some of your recorded video to put these in but it’s really simple. You just hit apple T and it will separate the video for you where you want to insert words.

I believe imovie has a built in tutorial on how to use it also if you get confused.. I had to use it because the new imovie is kind of weird!

6 runningaroundnormal November 11, 2009 at 9:33 am

Mmm that breakfast looks yummy! I never used iMovie to edit, but I have used Final Cut.

7 Christy November 11, 2009 at 9:41 am

yay for feeling better!! sleep is sometimes all you need… and it feels super good to wake up refreshed. i have no idea about anything to do with macs …. always been a PC gal

8 Annalisa November 11, 2009 at 9:41 am

I’ve used imovie quite a bit — it doesn’t seem intuitive until you make a video — or that was my experience.

You either import your photo from your camera or use the photobooth feature.

once it’s in imovie there are “frames” — you can add text, music, photos, etc and tell it for how long (2 sec, 4 sec). You can also remove frames by highlighting them, i think.

My best advice is to make a 30 sec test video and play around. It’ll take less an an hour to be comfortable with it. Good luck!!

9 Erica November 11, 2009 at 10:06 am

What you want to do first is create a new project. Import everything you want to include — pictures, or videos, etc. You can also record video and/or just sound IN iMovie, if you hit that little video icon on the left of the toolbar in the middle of the window (hopefully we have the same version, lol!) or if you hit the microphone near it (for voice).

Once thats done, you’ll see each clip divided into “frames’ on the bottom of the screen. If you want the whole clip, select all of it by clicking on the first frame with apple+ A. Then drag it to the window in the top left. If you want to leave a clip out, you can just leave that out when selecting what you want to drag.

Once you have those in order, you want to add effects. The iTunes icon will help you drag music in. If you click on the “T”, there will be a number of text options that come up (text at the bottom of the screen, scrolling text, etc). You can drag those over to the box with all of your clips as well.

I don’t know if that made sense … it’s hard to explain in a comment haha. Good luck!

10 Evan Thomas November 11, 2009 at 10:16 am

Doesn’t a good night of sleep cure everything? πŸ™‚
Can’t help since I’m a PC person

11 Jenna November 11, 2009 at 10:21 am

glad you are back to normal again!
jenna

12 Whitney @ Lettuce Love November 11, 2009 at 10:30 am

Glad you got the sleep you needed — rest is always in order after a busy weekend.

13 Amelia November 11, 2009 at 10:33 am

Unfortunately I haven’t played around with that program too much, but iMovie sounds like just what you need for your video. If you can’t find anyone else, you might try the Apple Store. I know they have people that are great at explaining what all a program can do! πŸ™‚

14 Matt November 11, 2009 at 10:33 am

I wish I was roaring to go today… Haha. I need to catch up on some sleep!

15 Erica November 11, 2009 at 10:35 am

What a great breakfast combo! I haven’t purchased or made any pumpkin butter this season yet- I have to get on that. Good luck with the video- I’m sure it will turn out great!

16 Morgan @ Life After Bagels November 11, 2009 at 10:36 am

I was not roaring to go today either . . . I was a total snooze monster, which then just puts me in a bad mood wah!

17 Erika November 11, 2009 at 10:39 am

AB + PB is delicious together!!

Glad you woke up so refreshed πŸ™‚

18 Rose November 11, 2009 at 10:47 am

I’m a Mac girl, and I make videos for work all the time. I haven’t done much with voiceover, to be honest, but if you have questions – feel free to email me.

19 meyergirl November 11, 2009 at 10:57 am

I’m no help, but good luck!

20 Lizzy November 11, 2009 at 11:10 am

i love when sleep rejuvenates you! Glad your feeling back to normal! Unfortunately i’m no help with imovie, i just sort of play around until i figure it out, but i hope someone can help! πŸ™‚

21 brandi November 11, 2009 at 11:24 am

I still have my pear from this weekend, too, and I have great plans for it πŸ™‚

22 Caitlin November 11, 2009 at 11:54 am

yummy breakfast!

I wish I could say I slept like a baby last night…I live in an apartment (college) and there was a huge party going on last night that woke me up at 3 am..it it is only Wednesday…really!? aah!

23 Lauren November 11, 2009 at 11:59 am

My boyfriend manages the Apple Store in KC, and I would 100% recommend going in to your local Apple Store and they will teach you how to use it and all of the fancy tricks. You can set up an appt. online for a One to One session.

24 jeri November 11, 2009 at 12:19 pm

I would do a search for imovie tutorials on the web. I think my imovie might have a tutorial actually built in to the program, so that’s an option too. the tutorials are super informative.

25 Angharad November 11, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Mmmm pears. Deliciously autumnal. Pumpkin butter is another fave…so all round amazing brekkie in my books!

26 Elizabeth November 11, 2009 at 1:15 pm

I can also help w/iMovie…here’s the newest version of a guide I wrote back when I was in college: http://library.rice.edu/services/dmc/guides/video/imovie-step-by-step-guide

Some parts of the guide are specific to the lab at Rice, but just work around those πŸ™‚

27 biz319 November 11, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Glad you are back on track! Sadly, I hardly know how to use my point and shoot camera, let alone do video!

Good luck though! πŸ˜€

28 Erin November 11, 2009 at 1:38 pm

I love playing around with iMovie but don’t know how to use it very well. It’s fun to experiment with, though. πŸ˜€

29 Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) November 11, 2009 at 2:10 pm

It’s amazing what a good night of sleep can do for you! Glad you’re feeling energized πŸ˜€

30 Bonnie November 11, 2009 at 2:20 pm

I figured things out with iMovie by trial and error (and a whole lot of errors), but I think the earlier comments are pretty helpful. The help menu on iMovie is really good. Hope it goes well!

31 stephanie @ foodie mcfood November 11, 2009 at 2:51 pm

I have a PC, unfortunately. But your breakfast looked just delicious. πŸ™‚

32 The Pancake Girl November 11, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Oh my gosh, your toast looks so delish, i can’t believe it! So simple but yummm.

I’ve had to use iMovie for school, and really I just had to play around and learn it accidentally… I wish I knew how to explain it to you, but I can’t figure out how to without talking it out with you while I was looking at my comp. Try reading those tutorials though- they’re kinda helpful..

33 Jess November 12, 2009 at 7:28 pm

I’m an editor so I can give you some help if you need. I usually edit on Avid or Final Cut but I know how to do most of the stuff in iMovie. It’s an extremely limited software but it might serve your purposes okay.

Send me an email if you’d like.