more ยป" />

Sleep is good

by Meghann on November 10, 2009

Sleep is very, very good. I just wish I had more of it in the past couple of days.

As soon as I opened my eyes this morning I knew the 7 mile tempo run on my training plan was not going to happen. Instead I hit snooze, rolled over and ran 5 miles 20 minutes later.

I should have stayed in bed. My 5 miles were slow and exhausting. Now I can barely keep my eyes open at my desk and I am double bagging my black tea so each sip contains as much caffeine as possible.

Ughhโ€ฆ I want to go back to San Francisco right now. If I were there I would still be in bed. ๐Ÿ™

After my run I tried to revert back to my old routine with a big bowl of cereal.

IMG_5403

• 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded wheat
  • 1/2 cup Kashi h2h
  • 1/4 cup TJโ€™s pumpkin granola
  • plain yogurt
  • pom seeds
  • raw almond butter

IMG_5408

It did feel good to sit down and slowly eat my bowl of cereal while watching the Today Show this morning. I always miss catching up with Meredith, Matt, and Al while Iโ€™m away and too busy to turn the tv on.

Wish me luck today as I try to get through the next 8 hours without collapsing on my desk due to sleep deprivation. ๐Ÿ™‚

1 Katie November 10, 2009 at 9:34 am

Watching the Today show now! I know when I hit that wall I’m cranky and can’t function so kudos to getting up and running! Don’t be afraid to miss a day though, you ROCK and are good if you miss a run or two ๐Ÿ˜‰

2 Diana November 10, 2009 at 9:34 am

Aw, sucks that you feel so tired. Good luck staying awake! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Have a great day ๐Ÿ™‚

3 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) November 10, 2009 at 9:54 am

I hope that you’re able to nab some sleep soon! It always stinks to be that tired. There are some mornings that I struggle to drag myself out of bed and get the day started, and those are the days that the bed is most comfy!

4 Eileen Weigand November 10, 2009 at 10:11 am

Hang in there!! it looks like it was a fabulous trip for all of you. I think it’s going to go a long way getting back in to your breakfast routine. ๐Ÿ™‚

5 VeggieGirl November 10, 2009 at 10:17 am

BEST OF LUCK!! I know you’ll make it ๐Ÿ™‚

6 Matt November 10, 2009 at 10:28 am

Hang in there!

7 runningaroundnormal November 10, 2009 at 10:41 am

I did the same thing today. Except instead of missing out on two miles, I missed out on yoga. Sometimes sleep just takes precedent!

8 Megan November 10, 2009 at 10:53 am

I did the exact same thing this morning! I had a 7 mile w/ 10 pickups on the schedule and ended up doing 5 on the tmill w/ Matt and Al. Did you see Miss California? And did you notice she puts herself in the same league as Sarah Palin, Sonya Sotamayor, and Michelle Obama???? Um…WTF!

9 Meghann November 10, 2009 at 10:56 am

I know!!! I’ll admit what was done to her was a bit harsh, but come on she was kind of asking for it.

10 megan November 10, 2009 at 11:33 am

I didn’t see this…what were they talking about with Miss California?

11 Megan November 10, 2009 at 11:55 am

hahah i LOVE that there are 3 “megans” in a row here…miss california was saying that she was unfairly punished for saying that she didn’t believe in gay marraige. (Perez Hilton called her a b*tch, then it came out that the pageant paid for implants, then she sued them for religious discrimination then backed down when they revealed they had a sex tape of her). but she kept saying that she wasnt being granted “freedom of speech” and that no one calls sotomayor or obama a b*tch b/c of “liberal media bias”
it was pretty crazy…gotta love trashy drama at 7am!!

12 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) November 10, 2009 at 11:08 am

Wishing you luck today!

13 megan November 10, 2009 at 11:31 am

ah, I know how that feels when you are so tired and want to fall asleep at your desk. Hopefully you will wake up as the day goes on!

14 Sammi November 10, 2009 at 11:32 am

Good luck with staying awake!
I’m so thankful that my dad wakes me up to go running because if he wasn’t here to do that, I’d probably skip my runs all the time because of being too tired. At least I don’t let myself go back to sleep after I run as much as I used to! It used to be that every time I would come back from a run, I would go straight to sleep again and wake up still tired ๐Ÿ™

15 MelissaNibbles November 10, 2009 at 11:33 am

Oh no! I’m sending you “stay awake” vibes through the computer! I hope the day goes by quick for you ๐Ÿ™‚

16 runnerskitchen November 10, 2009 at 11:34 am

it seems like we are all on the same page this morning – i also ran a sleepy 5 miles. but 5 miles is better than no miles and i’m glad i got my run in this morning – it’s going to be a longggg day at work!

welcome back to the east coast – it’s a short week, at least!

17 Amelia November 10, 2009 at 11:46 am

Good luck today! Hopefully the day will be an easy one and fly by for ya! ๐Ÿ™‚

18 skinnyrunner November 10, 2009 at 11:48 am

stay awake!!! your breakfast sure looked good! and at least you got in 5 miles.

19 Morgan @ Life After Bagels November 10, 2009 at 11:49 am

GOOD LUCK . . . you just need a super big night of sleep tonight, like a 10 hour kind of night.

20 Nicci@NiftyEats November 10, 2009 at 11:51 am

Sorry your tired, I felt that way yesterday at work. I actually closed my office door and took a nap. lol

21 Lauren November 10, 2009 at 11:53 am

I was like that yesterday – so sleepy at my desk! Litterally my eyes were closing at one point in the afternooon. I did a six-mile run last night and it was slower than usual because of the sleep deprivation but I know the next one will be better! Get some sleep tonight!

22 Fallon November 10, 2009 at 11:59 am

You should of just slept in this morning!! You have to remember the time difference and jet lag is going to make you drag your first day back. You can always run later ๐Ÿ˜‰ I know how you are feeling now but you will get through it and then you’ll be home in bed once again ๐Ÿ˜‰

23 meyergirl November 10, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Hope you get some sleep and feel better soon!

24 Rose November 10, 2009 at 12:03 pm

If you get tired today, use the timer from Caitlin’s blog and snooze in your cubicle for 5 minutes. I swear no one will notice ๐Ÿ™‚

25 greensandjeans November 10, 2009 at 12:09 pm

I’m convinced that everyone needs a one day “vacation” after their vacations before they head back to work!

26 rhodeygirltests November 10, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Dude.

I am absolutely FALLING asleep at my desk right now! I am also still sucking down water and tea like crazy, I feel like this weekend dehydrated me. And I have to work late since I’ll be out the rest of the week, but thank goodness tomorrow I can lay by the pool all day in Miami!

27 brandi November 10, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Good luck staying awake! I feel the same way today ๐Ÿ™‚ it’s like the entire trip caught up with me last night/this morning and I could NOT get out of bed!!!

28 Erin November 10, 2009 at 12:39 pm

Jet lag is the worst!! Usually going outside is helpful to wake me up – as long as it’s not nasty out! It’s grey and dreary here today and I really just wanted to stay at home in bed!!

29 Adam November 10, 2009 at 12:45 pm

Wow I can’t believe you’re down on yourself for ONLY running 5 miles this morning – I was happy when I ran 3.3 the other day. I guess I need to step up my game.

You can get through the day – forget the caffine, try some almonds, the impact will last longer – I think anyway.

– Adam @ http://www.turnupmyworkout.com

30 Chrysta November 10, 2009 at 12:55 pm

No worries girl. Your body is just adjusting again to the jet lag and probably from the business of the weekend. Just take a day or two to rest and you’ll be back up and rockin in no time!

31 Tina November 10, 2009 at 1:16 pm

I agree–sleep is awesome. I felt sooo tired getting up this morning. I’d wish I was in San Fran if I was you too!

32 Ali November 10, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Good Luck! I know that feeling and it is awful! Take a nap when you get home for sure!

33 Brittany November 10, 2009 at 1:35 pm

I was feeling the exact same way yesterday! I didn’t make it to the gym until 9:00PM last night. haha

Try to stay awake lady!

34 Kat November 10, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Sometimes I just need to forgo exercise for sleep, but it is always hard to know. There are days when I feel exhausted when I get up, but the gym makes me feel great again. And then there are the days like the one you are having, where I realize I shouldnt have exercised but just zzzzz’d all morning!

35 Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) November 10, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Good luck staying awake! Hope you can get a good sleep tonight ๐Ÿ™‚

36 Jenna November 10, 2009 at 2:26 pm

glad you got to sit down and watch the today show!
jenna

37 Evan Thomas November 10, 2009 at 2:27 pm

I had awful insomnia 2 nights ago so last night I went to bed super early. I think that’s the best think about a lack of sleep: looking forward to catching up

38 stephanie November 10, 2009 at 3:40 pm

You should totally rap. I’ve heard that gets people’s attention. ๐Ÿ™‚

I hear you on the sleepiness. It’s terrible just to drag myself out of bed in the morning.

39 SweetiePotato November 10, 2009 at 5:18 pm

i’m tired today, too!! bring on the caffeine… and i agree with stephanie on the comment saying you should rap hahahaha that would be so funny