My First Red Eye

by Meghann on November 9, 2009

Missed any of my FoodBuzz Festival Recaps? Check them out!

——

I can’t believe last night I boarded a plane on the west coast in a blanket of darkness and this morning I walked off the same plane on the east coast in pure sunshine. This was my first experience taking a red eye from one coast to the other and I have to say it was not bad at all.

When I arrived at the San Francisco airport last night I ran into fellow Foodbuzz Festival Attendee, Ashley, who was on the same red eye.

It was nice to have a familiar face to kill some time with in the airport. Ashley is a complete sweetheart and I’m glad I got some extra time to get to know her.

It was also nice having someone watch my luggage when I needed to use the restroom or take a stretch. Somehow I managed to get 4 carry on bags passed security.

I couldn’t help it, my bag I checked was overflowing with swag and was exactly 50 lbs when I checked it! πŸ˜‰

Comfy clothes are the key to taking the red eye.

I know – Hot!

My first flight wasn’t bad at al. Of course I am a workaholic and spent the first hour and a half catching up on blog stuff and reviewing photos of the weekend. I did manage to get a couple of hours of shut eye, but I wouldn’t call it anything substantial.

When we landed I was in desperate need of caffeine! I founded the nearest Starbucks and ordered a non-fat awake tea misto and for breakfast a fruit cup that I paired with granola swag and a packet of barney butter.

I think that’s the healthiest meal I’ve had all weekend. The cup of fruit was light and refreshing – just what I needed.

My second flight was overbooked and there were announcements requesting passengers to bump to the next flight for a free round trip ticket. The thought did cross my mind to take them up on their offer, but the idea of being home in an hour was just too appealing to give up.

I kept to my original flight and made it to my parents before 11:00am where I immediately crashed for a lovely two hour nap. It was wonderful. πŸ™‚

I woke up starving and raided my parent’s fridge. I found left over roasted acorn squash and chicken salad that I immediately combined.

Oddly enough this was a very tasty combination.

I also discovered homemade Peanut Butter Cookies and had to snag one of those as well.

Now, I am very much ready to pack up my car and head back to Orlando. I know Maddie is more than ready to be back on her own turf. πŸ™‚

I’ve never seen a puppy as happy as she was when I walked in the door this morning.

This weekend has been unforgettable. Thank you again to Bertoli Sauces for sponsoring my adventure and for FoodBuzz for putting on one hell of a festival. Is it too early to register for next year’s event yet? πŸ˜‰

1 Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) November 9, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Fabulous recap to end a weekend of wonderful recaps! I felt like I was there! Thanks!

2 dailygoods November 9, 2009 at 2:48 pm

meghann it was so nice to meet you! you are such a doll πŸ™‚ glad we found each other at the airport and got to have our first red eye flights together. maddie looks so happy to be home with you πŸ™‚ im definitely ready to detox after such an amazing weekend!! xoxo

3 Diana November 9, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Ahah love the outfit! πŸ˜›
And aw, Maddie’s such a cutie. πŸ™‚

Hope you’re having a great monday!

4 Brandi November 9, 2009 at 2:56 pm

I’ve never taken a red-eye, but that’s awesome Ashely was on the same flight!

Glad you got back safely – it was so great to meet everyone!

5 rhodeygirltests November 9, 2009 at 3:17 pm

Hot outfit!

My suitcase was 61 lbs. I can’t believe I had that much stuff ha!

6 snackface November 9, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Woohoo! So glad you made it back in one piece! Awww, happy pups are the best to come home to!

How lovely you had the sweetie pie Ashley to keep you company while waiting for the red eye!

Love reading all the recaps. Made me miss San Fran so much!

7 Allison (Eat Clean Live Green) November 9, 2009 at 3:37 pm

Sounds like an amazing trip!

Great Starbucks combination – I love Misto’s! I get so excited when they release the Joy tea for Christmas, it makes a delicious Misto! πŸ™‚

8 Whitney @ Lettuce Love November 9, 2009 at 3:37 pm

I am all about comfort clothes when I travel too!

9 Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) November 9, 2009 at 3:40 pm

Haha cute outfit! So nice that you had someone to chill out with at the airport πŸ™‚

10 Amelia November 9, 2009 at 3:40 pm

Aww I’m sure it was wonderful to have Maddie greet you! Hope you get to rest up after your fabulous weekend. πŸ™‚

11 Susan November 9, 2009 at 3:41 pm

Seriously, Maddie is too cute for words. What a perfect thing to come home to πŸ™‚

12 Sarah November 9, 2009 at 3:46 pm

OMG I just adore Maddie. How cute is she with her pink collar! Glad you had a great time in Cali-for-nia.

13 lauradishes November 9, 2009 at 3:53 pm

Oh Meghann! That outfit just cracked me up…

but I agree that it’s much more important to be comfortable than fashionable on a long flight. πŸ™‚

14 Jo November 9, 2009 at 4:09 pm

I’ve really enjoyed all your recaps – looks like you had a fab time πŸ™‚

15 stephanie November 9, 2009 at 4:12 pm

My boyfriend lives in San Diego and I live in NYC. So far I have avoided the red eye, but I know with my schedule it is definitely going to happen, and soon. Did you get any sleep at all?

Your dog is just the cutest!

16 Ali November 9, 2009 at 4:14 pm

Looks like you had a great time! I BET Maddie missed you bunches!!!

17 Evan Thomas November 9, 2009 at 4:19 pm

I’ve never taken a red eye before–thankful because I bet I wouldn’t enjoy it
For a meal scrapped together, that looks pretty delicious

18 Anne P November 9, 2009 at 4:58 pm

Oh my gosh Maddie is getting so big!!!

19 Katie November 9, 2009 at 5:14 pm

Never done a red eye. I thought it would be exhausting, but I think if I got to experience more I would totally do it! Don’t you love it when your dogs are so happy to see you? They get excited like no person will for you.

20 allijag November 9, 2009 at 5:15 pm

It was so great to finally meet you and be able to hang out – I had such a blast! Glad you and Ashley got to chill at the airport – I was so bored by myself!! Give Maddie big kisses for me! I can’t wait for my work day to be over so I can go home and love Lando!

21 megan November 9, 2009 at 5:26 pm

sounds like a wonderful weekend! Hope it’s not too hard to go back to work tomorrow!

22 Liz November 9, 2009 at 5:28 pm

hey!

i promise i’m not crazy… but did you get into orlando at like 9:30ish this morning? I’m here on business and as i was coming down the stairs i saw a guy with a sign with your name on it… and I put two and two together that you were probably coming back from san fran. Just thought it was really ironic. πŸ™‚

23 Meghann November 9, 2009 at 5:30 pm

ha! Yep, that was me! πŸ™‚

24 Jenna November 9, 2009 at 6:11 pm

glad you had a nice flight!
that acorn was on your sister’s blog the other day when your dad made it, haha. glad you liked it. kelly liked hers plain without the cinnamon!
jenna

25 Felicia November 9, 2009 at 6:42 pm

So nice that you had a good experience with the red eye! I did a quick trip out to Napa for a three day weekend and took the red eye back on Sunday night. I went straight to work and was surprised that I actually did pretty well with it! Probably because the experience of wine tasting made it more than worth it… πŸ˜‰

26 Melissa November 9, 2009 at 7:08 pm

too fun. love the sandals with socks! reminds me of the swim team days. welcome back to the east coast! holla

27 Matt November 9, 2009 at 7:12 pm

I’ve taken one red eye flight and it wasn’t too bad because I slept the whole time. Glad you managed alright!

28 heather @ then heather said November 9, 2009 at 7:13 pm

Loved the red eye recap, meghann! Thanks πŸ™‚

29 Sarah November 9, 2009 at 7:56 pm

Cute outfit girl πŸ™‚

Soo glad to meet you this weekend. You are so sweet and fun, I wish there was more time that you were in town. If you are ever in the Bay Area again, please drop me a line. I’d love to show you around my town!

30 Jenny @ nutmegger November 9, 2009 at 9:00 pm

So jealous you got to raid your parents fridge. It’s always the first thing I love to do when I ever get to go home!!