Are you a Foodie?

by Meghann on November 5, 2009

My Friday has finally come! This time tomorrow I will be on a plane heading to lovely San Francisco. I can’t wait!

This morning I was happy to squeeze in one final 6 mile run before the craziness of the weekend begins.

I completed my 6 mile loop at a 9:22 pace. The weather was sadly a little warmer today as opposed to yesterday, but still better than the ridiculous highs we were experiencing a few weeks ago.

Currently my fridge is looking pretty pathetic in preperation for my coming trip. While scrounging up breakfast I discovered some cantaloupe in the back of the fridge that was on its last legs and needed to be eaten now or thrown out before I went out of town.

I cubed the cantaloupe and topped it with a peanut butter/oikos combination, pom seeds and ½ cup of Kashi Go Lean Crunch.

IMG_5186

The peanut butter addition to the yogurt was my favorite part of the bowl. I think the trick was mixing the peanut butter with the yogurt before adding it. This ensures maximum peanut butter flavor in every yogurt filled bite.

IMG_5191

What is a Foodie?

This morning I got a random text message from my brother asking me to define what a foodie is. He had seen the phrase on my blog before, but didn’t realize it was a mainstream term until her heard it on CNN this morning.

I replied simply that ‘a foodie is someone who loves food.’ But I knew that answer was only the half of it.

To me a foodie is someone who not only loves the taste of food, but the experience of it as well. They love to cook, they love to try new things, they love to experiment and they love to talk about food for hours on end.

Under my interpretation I believe I am a foodie. I could cook all day if given the opportunity and I am constantly seeking out new foods to try or new ways to prepare those foods. I love to write about food, I love to read about food, and I love to understand where food comes from and how it effect our bodies. I love food and I love being a foodie.

What is your definition of a foodie? Would you classify yourself as one?

P.S. Only two more days to get your votes in for the Sam-e Good Mood Blogger!!!

1 Diana November 5, 2009 at 9:44 am

I definitely agree with your definition. The first half as well as the second.

I do think I am becoming a foodie, it wasn’t always like this. I never had any desire to cook before, nowadays I can spend hours at the grocery store finding new things to try and researching recipes.. I’m just starting, I’m not a great cook, but I’m definitely a foodie in the making!

Have a great thursday (friday)!

2 Nicole November 5, 2009 at 9:50 am

My definition is definitely in line with yours. I think I’m a foodie!

3 Cara November 5, 2009 at 9:52 am

I’m kind of afraid to call myself a foodie because I feel like I’m not “sophisticated” enough! Like I have to eat out in fancy restaurants every night and love fois grais. Which I don’t…but by your definition, YES, I am definitely a 100% foodie!!

4 Meghann November 5, 2009 at 9:58 am

I don’t think the term foodie should be reserved for fancy chefs or people who eat at expensive restaurants. I see them as every day people who love food! :)

5 kristen November 5, 2009 at 10:26 am

I agree with your defense of the definition of foodie not having to be “sophisticated”. Part of my definition of foodie is someone who really appreciates good food- whether it is really good “street meat” or an 8 course meal cooked by a top chef.

6 Susan November 5, 2009 at 9:56 am

Funny, because I used the term foodie yesterday and my boyfriend told me to stop making up words, he’d never heard it before either! I see foodie’s as sort of everyday people with the heart and passion of a chef. Or food “connoisseurs.” The type of person who would list “food and cooking” as one of their top hobbies. I see myself as a foodie in training. I’m not super educated about all the fancy things about food, but I love filling my head with new food info and having new taste experiences :)

7 leslie November 5, 2009 at 10:03 am

i agree completely, a foodie is someone who loves the taste, the experience, and the adventure of food and flavor. i definitely put myself in that category!

8 rhodeygirltests November 5, 2009 at 10:14 am

Yeah I’m a foodie. Unfortunately that also means as I cook more and more (and better) I am much more critical of food when I am out, which kind of sucks. I wish I could go back to the ignorance of just enjoying a joe shmoe meal, but it is hard! It can be a cheap meal or expensive one but it has to taste GOOD! Case in point: fries at Jon’s in Center City = AWESOME, but anywhere else in the city? I still don’t care for them.

I used to be able to choke down a bagel or something in an airport if I had to but now I simply CAN’T! I rely SO much on prepacked food and bars for travel because they taste so much better.

Anyway, I plan on exploring Philadelphia through its food by visiting lots of restaurants this winter. I consider that a hobby, so yeah, I’m a foodie. :)

9 Katie November 5, 2009 at 10:19 am

I’m an almost foodie! I love food and cooking, but I’m too busy to try new things and experiment too often. I would like to, but then I don’t. So I’m an almost foodie hoping to one day reach foodieism.

10 Matt November 5, 2009 at 10:30 am

I am a foodie for sure! I love cooking, eating, and trying new things. I could seriously talk about food all day and not run out of things to talk about!

11 Yasmin November 5, 2009 at 10:35 am

By your definition I am a definitely a foodie! I agree with your definition…I wouldn’t add anything.

12 megan November 5, 2009 at 10:50 am

I define a foodie simply as someone who is ridiculously interested in food. And that’s me :) like you said – reading about it, writing about it, cooking, baking, experimenting, etc

13 Jess (A Fete For Food) November 5, 2009 at 11:10 am

I like your definition of a foodie. On La Tartine Gourmande’s blog, she uses “gourmande” as a synonym to foodie. From now on, I’m a gourmande vs. a foodie. Doesn’t it sound so much more romantic?

See you in SF!!! :-)

14 runnerskitchen November 5, 2009 at 11:11 am

I am definitely a foodie – I’d rather go grocery shopping that clothes shopping! And I could bake, read cooking magazines, and talk about nutrition all day long :-)

15 Jess November 5, 2009 at 11:13 am

I think your definition is close to mine but I’m not sure just loving food is quite enough to be considered a ‘foodie’. I think the term ‘foodie’ also requires a certain degree of sophistication to one’s tastes. Not to say that it has to be really expensive and high end foods, although I do love those, but having a more discerning palette than the general fast food population is definitely part of it.

I also think that to be a foodie one should have a pretty good knowledge of different foods and techniques, or at least be interested in learning about them. JMHO.

16 Evan Thomas November 5, 2009 at 11:13 am

I think a foodie is someone who, in one way or another, dedicates an abnormally large amount of time and energy into food. It’s a little weird of a term, because it sounds diminutive and we’d never call a football fan a “sportie”, but that definition sums it up for me and I’m proud to be one

17 DiningAndDishing November 5, 2009 at 11:15 am

I like your definition of a foodie. I think a foodie is someone who loves food – loves to eat, think, talk, learn, cook, expiriment with – food. I think it’s someone who appreciates and has a passion for quality food. I definitely consider myself one – although I’m fairly sure most food bloggers do too :O).

- Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

18 Mellissa November 5, 2009 at 11:18 am

I am a foodie, I tend to think of it as someone who is a passionate about the experience of food. From travel to understanding where it came from and the cultural importance and then how to cook and enjoy it.

19 cookinfanatic November 5, 2009 at 11:18 am

I think your definition is great! I totally consider myself a foodie, I think that most of the time I live/breath/eat all things food!

20 amh7183 November 5, 2009 at 11:20 am

I’m having the same food issue as you: trying to be creative with have you have right before you leave town! I’m losing it without spinach and broccoli in my fridge!

I agree with your definition of “foodie”. It doesn’t have to be about high end techniques or ingredients – just an overwhelming appreciation of food itself by a person makes them a foodie in my book!

21 biz319 November 5, 2009 at 11:23 am

Before I started my blog, my husband thought I was the only one who read cookbooks like novels and after eating breakfast was already thinking about what to make for lunch and dinner!

Thankfully, now he can see that there are THOUSANDS just like me! :D

22 Shannon (The Daily Balance) November 5, 2009 at 11:32 am

definitely a foodie ;) and SO happy to be a part of this amazing community of others who share the same passion!

23 skinnyrunner November 5, 2009 at 11:33 am

i think your definition is perfect. im so not a foodie but i like to read food blogs!

24 Molly @vegandorm November 5, 2009 at 11:34 am

put simply, i think a foodie is someone who APPRECIATES food,
whether it’s a simple fall apple or a gourmet meal that takes hours to prepare.
I love meals that have me pouring over recipes in the kitchen, but I also love a simple avocado with sea salt.

25 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) November 5, 2009 at 11:34 am

I am definitely almost a foodie. I am still a little too picky about trying some new things but I’m trying!

26 snackface November 5, 2009 at 11:35 am

I think a foodie is anyone who gets excited about food in any capacity. We’re enchanted by it. I gasp when I see an ingredient for which I’ve been searching, am happy and content while cooking and more than happy to enjoy it and then share the experience with others. Foodie right hurrrr! Love it!

27 greensandjeans November 5, 2009 at 11:41 am

I would define it as a foodie as someone who just loves everything about food- buying it, cooking it, eating it, reading about it, talking about it… I am absolutely a foodie!

28 Nicci@NiftyEats November 5, 2009 at 11:47 am

I would say ”the love of food” enjoying a great meal whether you prepared it yourself or not.

29 Brandi November 5, 2009 at 11:56 am

I think your definition sums it up – someone (anyone!) who loves food and everything about it: eating, presenting, cooking, creating…all the aspects of food and what it entails.

30 carolyn~ November 5, 2009 at 12:18 pm

I am a foodie and have been for some time! As an Italian, every event revolves around food. So at a very young age I was a foodie :) I was a confirmed foodie when I went to Europe and the majority of my pictures were of food…this was pre-food blog reading. I found it fascinating what other countries eat. People made fun of me and then realized how fascinating it was…and how delicious the foods are…except maybe the crispy pig ears in Spain…took a photo to document, but did not eat them!!!!

31 Adam November 5, 2009 at 12:22 pm

I think your definition is right on, but I guess by that definition I am NOT a foodie. I thought I was at one point, but I just like to try new places to eat, rather than trying new food…I usually get similar dishes wherever I go, but I do like to talk about food :)

Have fun in San Fran!!

32 Karissa November 5, 2009 at 12:47 pm

I love the word foodie-and even named my blog after it. My definition is line with yours. I love everything to do with food and could revolve my life entirely around it. Food is an experience we need to enjoy!

33 Abby November 5, 2009 at 12:47 pm

I am certainly a foodie.. I am passionate about healthy foods and enjoy talking about them!! :)

34 Bill Medifast November 5, 2009 at 12:52 pm

I don’t consider myself a full blown foodie, but I do make my rounds through all the blogs out there giving off recipes. My virtual cookbook has tripled in the past few weeks and it will take me months to get through all the recipes.

I am a foodie follower how about!

Bill M.

35 Shannon November 5, 2009 at 12:52 pm

see you tomorrow!!!!!

36 angieinatlanta November 5, 2009 at 12:53 pm

I am definitely a foodie! Cooking, baking, EATING – it’s all a passion of mind! And I love reading about food, watching television about food…ALL of it!

37 Rose November 5, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Good question! Sometimes I feel like a foodie because of how much I enjoy and love food (and cook/bake) but other times I don’t because I don’t feel like I know enough.

Thankfully, the term is just broad enough that I think a lot of people can fall into the category :)

38 The Pancake Girl November 5, 2009 at 1:10 pm

I agree with your definition for sure.. I def consider myself a foodie, and am proud of it! :)

39 allisonisactive November 5, 2009 at 1:28 pm

I think you wrote a good definition of a foodie! A lot of people would say a foodie is a food snob, but I agree with you – anyone who loves eating, cooking, trying new foods, and the shared experience of food is a foodie.

The thing that makes me a food is that I love how cooking and eating brings people together for a shared, intimate experience.

40 stacey November 5, 2009 at 1:46 pm

I would consider myself a foodie. I love eating food, buying food, prepping food, cooking food… I eat a vegan, gluten free diet which often leads people to ask “Oh my gosh, what is there left to eat?” when they find out. But, I feel like my food possibilities are endless! On the other hand, my husband is a meat and potatoes kind of guy. I make his meals for him and I still put a lot of thought and care into making interesting, tasty dishes for him even though I don’t eat much of what I prepare for him. I just want the people around me to enjoy food:)

41 Jenna November 5, 2009 at 2:25 pm

i am definitely a foodie!
jenna

42 Whitney @ Lettuce Love November 5, 2009 at 2:32 pm

I agree, I foodie loves food. I am definitely one!

43 jennylikestorun November 5, 2009 at 2:36 pm

I fully agree with your definition of a foodie. I would now honestly refer to myself as a foodie. I’m obsessed with it! I love to try new mixes, combinations, tastes, textures. The only condition though is that it’s all healthy stuff (with the occasional slice of cheesecake now and then ;) ). I can’t handle any fried food or high saturated fat. EW. That is NOT why I love food.

44 Christy November 5, 2009 at 5:32 pm

i’m soooo a foodie!! begin a dietetics major, i think i have to be ;)

45 Tay November 5, 2009 at 8:43 pm

I definitely consider myself a foodie – or anyone who enjoys food so much, it’s a hobby to them! I love to grocery shop, examine labels, examine foods, dream up ideas to use foods for, try new products, go to unique foods stores…you name it!

46 Tyler (Raspberry Runner) November 5, 2009 at 8:47 pm

“a person having an enthusiastic interest in the preparation and consumption of good food” — freedictionary.com. i liked the way they phased that :)

christy- i was a dietetics major, too, and i was surprised that many of my classmates were not foodies! i mean, i guess most of them ate healthier that most people, but they didn’t necessarily eat interesting things. i got some weird looks eating larabars and greek yogurt at school, lol. i’m glad that you are foodie though! it makes nutrition way more fun :)

47 Marianne November 20, 2009 at 4:06 pm

I would think that anyone who is a food blogger would automatically be a foodie – you aren’t going to blog about something you aren’t passionate about.