Vegan Baked Treat

by Meghann on November 2, 2009

I was kicking myself in the butt this morning after I ate my pre-planned snack of TJ Peanut Butter Pretzels.

IMG_5041

Why? Because one of my favorite baker co-workers promptly dropped this off at my supervisor’s desk not 10 minutes afterwards.

IMG_5043

Remember when I was surprised when my co-worker made the Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Cups? Well he did it again – this time he baked an all organic and vegan loaf of Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread. Wow!

I couldn’t resist a nibble

IMG_5045

And then I had to go back for more!

IMG_5046

Of course the bread spoiled my lunch, but it was well worth it! I can’t wait to see what he bakes next! Now that he knows we admire his vegan baking skills he has promised more goodies for us to sample in the future. Yippee!!

The mix of a heavy work load and the pumpkin bread distracted my stomach from looking for lunch until almost 1:00. Even then I wasn’t very hungry, but knew it was either eat now or wait until dinner for my next real meal. I decided to eat now.

IMG_5049

I wasn’t craving anything in particular so I just threw a bunch of left overs on spinach and called it a salad.

IMG_5052

Toppings included:

• 2 Whole Foods Falafels
  • 2 Whole Food Stuffed Grape Leaves
  • Okra Fries
  • Mushrooms
  • Beets
  • Pumpkin Seeds
  • Drizzle of Annie’s Greek Dressing

The salad did its job and I am officially stuffed.

IMG_5050

Thanksgiving Challenge…

With the Holidays just around the corner I have decided to pull the reigns on my monthly budget – or I should say lack of budget – and joined the Thanksgiving Challenge.

The Thanksgiving Challenge presented by Emily will challenge myself to spend less than $100 on food for the entire month of November.

This includes:

• groceries
  • meals at restaurants
  • miscellaneous food purchases – including drinks

This does not include:

• freebies
  • purchases made with gift cards
  • meals paid for by another individual *cough* Derek *cough*
  • potlucks.

I hate to admit it, but I am one of those debit card abusers who never tracks where her money is going each month. I swipe the card, toss the receipt, and rarely think twice about it. I always have a rough estimate of what is in my checking and savings accounts so I never have a fear of overdrawing, but I also know that I should be saving more than the pre-determined amount drawn monthly from my account.

I am hoping this challenge will help me zone in on where my money is going.

You can follow my progress here – I will update the spreadsheet with each food purchase until the end of the month.

I think this will be a BIG challenge considering all the big events happening this month including trips San Francisco & Tallahassee, the Orlando Food & Wine Festival, and Thanksgiving!

It’s going to be a challenge that I am ready to accept. 🙂

Daily Reminder..

Keep the votes coming for the Sam-E Good Mood Blogger!!

1 rhodeygirltests November 2, 2009 at 2:59 pm

um. 43 cents? You are seriously amazing. Even with a gift card and coupons.

2 Jessie (Vegan-minded) November 2, 2009 at 3:12 pm

That vegan pumpkin bread looks delicious! The Thanksgiving challenge is such a great idea. Hopefully I will be able to save some money for buying gifts in December!

3 Meg @ Be Fit Be Full November 2, 2009 at 3:33 pm

Good luck with the Thanksgiving challenge! Like you I rarely keep track of my purchases. I do know that I spend a ridiculous amount of money on groceries though!

4 Amelia November 2, 2009 at 3:41 pm

The Thanksgiving challenge is a great idea. I am exactly the same with my debit card. Also, since I’m spending money food, I don’t feel as guilty as I would for buying clothing I don’t need. Then of course I let food spoil and it’s a giant waste of my money. 🙁

5 Marissa November 2, 2009 at 3:42 pm

That bread looks so good!!! Good luck on the challenge!

6 Diana November 2, 2009 at 3:48 pm

That bread loos amazing!
Good luck with the challenge 🙂

7 Matt November 2, 2009 at 3:54 pm

I am with you on the debit card thing. The only thing I think about is “how much money do I have” instead of “where is my money going and am I using it wisely”?

8 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) November 2, 2009 at 3:55 pm

I am doing the Thanksgiving challenge as well. Can’t wait to see how we do!

9 The Pancake Girl November 2, 2009 at 3:56 pm

That bread looks amazing- I love pumpkin chocolate chip bread!

(www.joelygolightly.wordpress.com )

10 meyergirl November 2, 2009 at 4:01 pm

Wow! God luck with your challenge. We spend over $300/mo. just on groceries for the two of us. It’s ridiculous. Maybe I should start cleaning on the pantry and freezer. I wouldn’t be able to do the challenge this month, though, because I’m having 18 people for Thanksgiving!!!

11 Heather November 2, 2009 at 4:11 pm

Grocery shopping is my number one guilty pleasure. Sometimes, I ‘m discouraged because I see my roommates buy the 99 cent cans of soup and I come home with almost 30 dollars spent every week:( I know, in the end, I am better for it, but I also think about the money they save.

12 Hil November 2, 2009 at 4:14 pm

Good luck with your challenge! I did this last year and it was really a wonderful experience. I ended up making a lot more things from scratch and made do with smaller portions–lost some weight for sure–but overall managed pretty well.

13 Jess November 2, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Good luck with the challenge! Is there any way you can get the recipe for the pumpkin bread?

14 Katie November 2, 2009 at 4:32 pm

GOOD LUCK! I know I couldn’t do it! I spend 40 just on coconut water so I can run! Yummy looking bread I’m making cupcakes later.

15 megan November 2, 2009 at 4:35 pm

that challenge should be really interesting. my husband and I have a great system for our finances. I’m in charge of the grocery budgeting (i.e. I do the shopping), and he keeps track of receipts/checkbook/credit card statements. I’m a good budgeter, but I don’t like keeping track of things, so this works out perfectly!

16 Lizzy November 2, 2009 at 5:21 pm

That bread looks awesome!!!! How you only had 2 little bites is beyond me, but i’m sure it was amazing! good luck with your challenge, i know you’ll be able to do it!

17 Evan Thomas November 2, 2009 at 5:35 pm

All organic and vegan? That’s an awesome loaf of bread

18 Mama Pea November 2, 2009 at 6:03 pm

Oh man, you have your own inner office Veggie Girl! Can he do a VGTV episode please?!

19 Melissa S. November 2, 2009 at 7:01 pm

that’s gonna be a tough challenge! i don’t know i could do that, but certainly wish i could! maybe $150?

and that vegan loaf looks AWESOME!!!! def jealous!

20 Jenna November 2, 2009 at 7:59 pm

that bread looks great! good luck on the challenge!!
jenna

21 Kelly H. November 2, 2009 at 8:09 pm

hi meghann- love your blog. i am a new reader and am currently making my way through your archives. any advice for shin splints? i am running my first half in a couple of weeks and my legs are killing me!

22 Kelly November 2, 2009 at 8:22 pm

Do your co-workers read your blog (….if not, they totally should because the following comment notwithstanding, you and your blog are awesome)? I ask because I have read a few comments on your blog regarding your coworkers that, were I one of them, I would construe to be rather presumptuous and disparaging. First, I don’t think your level of shock that your coworker made a vegan treat in the first place was warranted. Second, when you made mini-muffins for the office, you mentioned that one benefit of doing so was to teach your coworkers portion control. Third, well, okay, third is just miscellanous comments you’ve made, sometimes only tacitly implied ones, over the blog history about coworkers choices at mealtimes and snacktimes. I just feel like alot of what you write about them is mocking, even though I know that’s not your intent.

23 greensandjeans November 2, 2009 at 8:49 pm

Good luck on the challenge! I don’t think I could do it, but I will definitely cheer you on!

24 Ericka November 2, 2009 at 11:25 pm

Yum, I want some of that bread! Can you get the recipe and post it?

25 Katy November 3, 2009 at 10:33 am

That’s so funny — this weekend, I baked a Vegan Organic Pumpkin Bulgur Beer bread and it was FREAKING fantastic. My next plan is to make your scones.

I posted my recipe on the blog…

{ 2 trackbacks }