Soup Explosion

by Meghann on November 2, 2009

This afternoon I had a sudden craving for Butternut Squash Soup. I browsed some recipes online, but nothing really struck out on me. Instead I decided to build my own recipe.

The whole process started innocently enough…

I chopped some veggies

• 1/2 a medium butternut squash
  • 1/2 a white onion
  • 2 carrots
  • 1 apple
  • garlic

Threw the veggies in a pot.

Added

• 4 sun dried tomato halves
  • 2 cans of vegetable broth
  • palmful of curry
  • palmful of garlic salt
  • palmful of red pepper flakes
  • Salt & Pepper

Finally I let it simmer for 30 minutes or until the squash and apples were soft. πŸ˜‰

I was so proud of my soup making skills at this point.

That is until…. SOUP EXPLOSION!

*Mental Note* always remember the lid is screwed on tight before pressing the start button!

As soon as I hit blend the soup went EVERYWHERE. It was on the walls, on the floor, and all over me.

Too bad no one was around to video tape the whole explosion. I think the best part was the fact I had my camera in my hands when the explosion happened. Before I even stopped the blender I brought my camera to safety to make sure it was still working. πŸ™‚

Maddie didn’t mind helping with the clean efforts.

Unfortunately the soup was still very hot when it landed on me and my arms and hands are now a little read πŸ™ Ouch.

IMG_5076.JPG IMG_5079.JPG

Despite the mishap my Butternut Squash, Sun Dried Tomato, & Apple Soup was still delicious and delectable.

Soup toppings included pumpkin seeds and a dollop of goat cheese

I think the addition of the sun dried tomato was the key ingredient to this soup. It was very flavorful and a little spicy. I loved it!

With the soup I had a piece of toast with a smidge of butter.

My hand still hurt after dinner, thankfully my last Halloween cupcake made it all feel better. πŸ™‚

Yum!

This afternoon I snacked on a mini bag of TJ’s Trail Mix at work. πŸ™‚

Now if you will excuse me I need to bleach my kitchen floors and try to figure out how to get soup stain off of my walls. Any suggestions?

Good Night!

1 Susan November 2, 2009 at 10:06 pm

Ohno!! This is why hand blenders are awesome sometimes. Making soup in a blender pitcher can be such a headache! (or, in your case, third degree burn). At the very least sundried tomato sounds awesome in butternut squash soup!

2 Erica November 2, 2009 at 10:07 pm

oh gosh! I’m glad you’re ok! I’ve totally done something like this before. Magic eraser?? The soup looks yummy

3 The Pancake Girl November 2, 2009 at 10:09 pm

Haha I’ve had that experience before with oatbran.. kitchen is a dangerous place! πŸ˜‰ Maybe try Comet or Ajax to scrub the walls? My mom and I use that stuff on everything for deep cleaning.

( http://www.joelygolightly.wordpress.com )

4 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) November 2, 2009 at 10:13 pm

magic eraser! It works for anything!

I’m so sorry your soup exploded on you! OUCH!

5 DPG November 2, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Sorry to hear about your explosion. I had a similar (and scary!) misadventure with a pressure cooker earlier this year.

For cleaning walls, I highly recommend a product called TSP. It’s a salt that dissolves in warm water. It removes stains very nicely with little to no damage to the underlying paint. Cleaning my kitchen with TSP took a good deal of scrubbing, but, afterwards, it was more shinny than ever before. You’ll want to wear gloves while using it, but my impression is that the toxicity risk is pretty low.

Should be possible to find TSP at a hardware store, in a little bag or canister.

Good luck!

6 Lizzy November 2, 2009 at 10:14 pm

You gotta get an Immersion Blender- it saves you from problems likes that and its one of my favorite kitchen gadgets!!

7 Anne P November 2, 2009 at 10:17 pm

Lol… that’s kind of amazing. Glad it turned out tasting good regardless! πŸ™‚

8 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) November 2, 2009 at 10:17 pm

I would try magic eraser πŸ™‚ I hope you aren’t burnt too badly!

9 Matt November 2, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Haha that totally sounds like something I would do. Last week I knocked over a tub of oatmeal without the lid on. Yeah I am still finding oatmeal flakes in the weirdest places…

10 Island Girl Eats November 2, 2009 at 10:25 pm

Ouch! I did that exact thing as you a few weeks ago making split pea soup. My hand hurt for a few days. It was worth it though – the soup tasted great!

11 Gab* November 2, 2009 at 10:29 pm

Ouch! Hope you don’t end up with blisters. Kind of looks like someone has vomited everywhere, yuk!

12 Meg @ Be Fit Be Full November 2, 2009 at 10:33 pm

Oh no! Glad the soups still turned out! I would have given up at that point πŸ™‚
I would mix water and a little bit of Chlorox to get the soup off the walls?

13 Amelia November 2, 2009 at 10:35 pm

OMG! Hope your burns are ok. What a mess. The finished product looks delish though! πŸ™‚

14 Jennifer November 2, 2009 at 10:46 pm

Try the magic eraser!

15 Kaye November 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm

I would definitely use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser! If you use something harsh like Comet or Clorox and scrub, it might take the paint off! Goodness, what a kitchen adventure!

16 Lala November 2, 2009 at 11:00 pm

Oh dear! Perhaps the lid was actually on too tight? If the soup was still hot, it can be quite dangerous to blend. Here’s a good excerpt I found from a quick google search:

“A note about blending hot liquids: In order to be safe, it is recommended when you blend hot liquids that you never fill the jar more than half full, that you put the lid on and then cover it with a dry towel and hold it down by hand. Or instead, cover with the top, but leave out the center plastic covering, place a kitchen towel on top which will allow air to escape more gently Also, use as slow a speed as possible. NEVER blend hot liquids fully covered and at high-initial speed…you’re just inviting burns as the hot liquid quickly blends, heats up the air above it, and causes an explosion through the blender top. ”

From:

17 Evan Thomas November 2, 2009 at 11:19 pm

Awww, haha, I hate kitcheny things like that.
I just tried my first peanut butter, pumpkin butter, and chocolate chip sammie and it was excellent

18 prettyladycmu November 2, 2009 at 11:19 pm

I had a soup explosion while making spiced pumpkin soup last Fall and I’m still scared to blend soups! I read that you have to keep the insertion hole open (cover with a dish towel or several paper towels) to allow the steam to escape. Since lots of steam gets stirred up when you start to blend, you’re more likely to get an explosion, and it might even be possible to ruin the blender if you do it completely sealed. Just a thought!

19 Erica November 2, 2009 at 11:19 pm

so sorry about the mishap at least the soup was tasty otherwise it would be a real tragedy. No cleaning ideas sorry. πŸ™

20 alex November 2, 2009 at 11:25 pm

comet works!!! wear gloves though- if they are that raw, the comet will NOT help!

21 Emily November 2, 2009 at 11:28 pm

Ack! When our blender broke (with hot soup in it as well) we had the same thing and it was horrendous to clean up. Good luck!

22 Mel November 2, 2009 at 11:28 pm

The soup looks yummy! Sorry it got you πŸ™ I second the Mr. Clean Magic eraser…it works wonders!!

23 Wendy November 2, 2009 at 11:28 pm

I vote for the Magic Eraser, too. But I’ve also heard you can use a piece of wadded up white bread to rub stains off white walls.

24 Gina November 2, 2009 at 11:29 pm

Oh man! Sorry about your souplosion! Hope your hand feels better soon! The soup looks great πŸ™‚ I did the exact same thing with a roasted red pepper soup once! Soup everywhere! I am still scared of my blender πŸ™‚

25 Molly @vegandorm November 2, 2009 at 11:33 pm

Ohhh man – I have been there SO many times…green monsters, all over the counter!
Of course, the worst was in I thought it would be a good idea to wax my own eyebrows in my mother’s bathroom. I finished and was going to put the little wax pot away when it slipped out of my hands and went alll over the bathroom floor and closet door. Me & Goo-gone got to be REAL good friends.
(This is random, but once when my little sister wrote all over the walls, we used soap scum remover to get it off. I have no idea where the idea came from, but it was the only thing that worked.)

26 Melissa S. November 2, 2009 at 11:36 pm

oh man…can we do that again when i come in january? then i’ll video tape it…and the soup won’t be hot; we don’t want more scalded skin.

heal quick! glad it still tasted good!

27 Marissa November 2, 2009 at 11:38 pm

yikes! I have so made worse messes before!

28 Gloria November 2, 2009 at 11:45 pm

oh no! I hope you didn’t burn yourself too badly. I still have a scar on my wrist from over a year ago from putting hot butternut squash soup in a blender… after that I bought an immersion blender πŸ˜‰ Definitely ranks up there as best appliance.. along with food processor and ice cream maker

29 Jessie (Vegan-minded) November 2, 2009 at 11:48 pm

Sorry to hear about your soup explosion! It is SO hard to clean something like that, sorry I don’t have any good suggestions. You are lucky you didn’t seriously burn yourself!

30 Lizzy November 2, 2009 at 11:52 pm

Ahhh a soup explosion is no fun, but atleast it still tasted wonderful! πŸ™‚ i hope your hands are ok though, i know burns are no fun at all!

31 Mica November 2, 2009 at 11:53 pm

Man, I have totally done that (but on a smaller scale). Woo…kitchen messes are such a joy, right? Good thing Maddie was there to survey the damage and help up as clean-up crew!

32 greensandjeans November 3, 2009 at 12:09 am

definitely the magic eraser, but I’ve used just dish soap on the same type of stains and it’s worked very well!

33 Emily November 3, 2009 at 12:11 am

AHHHH! That does not look like fun! My ice cream maker had a spill of sorts like that before…..yuckkky!

In other news, your cupcake looks divine! πŸ˜€

34 Carrie @ I See Monsters November 3, 2009 at 12:28 am

Ouch! I made corn and acorn squash soup tonight as well. One way to avoid an explosion in the future is to let the soup cool before you blend it. I put mine in the freezer for a few minutes — pot and all — and then blended. Then after it’s blended just put it back on the burner and bring up to temperature.

I’m so glad it tasted good so your efforts weren’t in vain! The sun dried tomato addition was genius.

35 Andrea November 3, 2009 at 12:31 am

MAGIC ERASER!! Mr. Clean makes one and the Target brand is good too. I’m sure it’s not environmentally friendly, but when you need to clean something that’s white, it gets the job done EVERY time.

36 Jenna November 3, 2009 at 12:38 am

sorry to hear about the soup explosion but i am glad you got to enjoy it! and it is soo funny how you snapped a pic πŸ™‚ haha! dedicated food blogger you are!
jenna

37 whitneyinchicago November 3, 2009 at 12:41 am

Get some oxyclean and mix it with water to make a paste. It works like magic.

And next time its good to blend soups in batches. You never want a blender more than 1/3 full when its hot. (or ask for an immersion blender for the Holidays πŸ™‚

38 Hil November 3, 2009 at 12:55 am

I’ve exploded soup before, too! Mine was a cucumber yogurt soup, so I didn’t have to deal with the stain issue, but the mess was sure a pain.

39 BroccoliHut November 3, 2009 at 1:17 am

Oh my! This reminds me of an incident I had with a purple sweet potato soup recipe…I am still finding random purple splatters in my kitchen.

40 Anne November 3, 2009 at 2:42 am

No matter how tight you screw the lid on, if there’s boiling soup inside the soup will explode all over your kitchen. You have to let it cool down, so the steam doesn’t have the change to build up pressure, keep the insertion hole open or just scoop out the vegetables and let them cool for a bit.

I always think putting soup in a blender is scary because of this, so I use an immersion blender.

41 chasingthenow November 3, 2009 at 3:37 am

I’d try bleach wipes!

Sorry to hear about the explosion. My big blender boo-boo is usually forgetting about the blend button being where it is and accidentally hitting it while I’m scraping down the blender with a metal utensil. Never good!

42 Emily November 3, 2009 at 6:36 am

If it makes you feel any better, I did the exact same thing a few weeks ago! Since then we’ve decided blending soup in the food processor works way better.

My soup didn’t stain really, but I’ve always had a lot of luck with Mr Clean Magic Erasers for getting stains out.

43 katy ( These Beautiful Feet ) November 3, 2009 at 7:47 am

I was going to say try the Mr.Clean Magic Eraser but so many people beat me to it! πŸ˜‰ Hopefully it’ll work! At least the soup was good!!

44 Robin November 3, 2009 at 7:51 am

I was on a soup kick a few weeks ago and my blender wasn’t in the mood. I had soup seeping out the bottom every time and burnt hands to prove it. But yes, my butternut squash soup was very yummy.

45 allisonisactive November 3, 2009 at 7:52 am

Ouch! I hope you’re feeling better. Blenders can be dangerous, but at least you had one – my last soup adventure involved blending it in seven or eight batches in a Magic Bullet!

Here’s my post on Ina Garten’s Roasted Winter Vegetable Soup, which you might like. It’s pretty squash-y! http://allisonisactive.wordpress.com/2009/10/26/recipe-of-the-week-october-26/

I may add red pepper next time, though. Good idea!

46 starstruk November 3, 2009 at 8:13 am

I’m hoping that someone else has already provided details, but I believe it is dangerous to blend hot liquids with the top on and tight…I’m sure I’ve seen cooking shows where they put a cloth over the top or leave the top ajar…hope you are okay.

47 Kate November 3, 2009 at 8:46 am

Definitely Mr. Clean Magic Eraser for the walls! I’ve gotten so many scuff marks (and black bean soup!) off of the walls with it.

48 Morgan @ Life After Bagels November 3, 2009 at 8:54 am

Wow there’s someone else out there who is as clumsy as me!

49 Mellissa November 3, 2009 at 9:43 am

Oh no, what a mess! I highly suggest an immersion blender and you can blend away in the pot and it gives one less dish to clean up.

50 meyergirl November 3, 2009 at 10:25 am

Oh, my gosh, what a mess!! So sorry that happened. Hope your hand feels better.

51 trustingmyintuition November 3, 2009 at 10:45 am

haha i love making a mess in the kitchen. That’s happened to me a couple of times …my dad doesn’t think it’s funny though. : ( Soup is so fun to make!

52 dorothy November 3, 2009 at 11:46 am

ouch im sorry about the accident! at least you have a trusty little helper in maddie though πŸ˜‰

i just bought a few bnuts and this soup sounds GREAT, thanks!!

53 Danielle November 3, 2009 at 12:03 pm

The SAME thing has happened to me, just a few weeks ago. I recommend letting the soup cool before putting it in the blender, and using smaller batches. My theory is that the steam from the soup “fills” the blender, making the volume higher and exploding the lid off.

54 LeanGreenLiving November 3, 2009 at 12:32 pm

No worries. . . that is a common blender disaster with hot soups. I wish they would include instructions on soup recipes for safe blending. Here’s the trick: With a blender never more than 2/3 full of hot ingredients, put the lid on loosely and wrap a dishtowel around the top edge where the lid meets the blender and blend. Steam needs to escape and that is why the lid must not be tight. The dishtowel captures any stray spray. Works every time!

55 Lindsay @ bananaandchocolate November 3, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Oh my goodness! I agree that the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser will probably work.

When my brother was about 3 my Mom was making cupcakes with him. Something happened with the mixer and batter went everywhere! 5 years later when we moved we found batter that was still stuck to the walls!