Who needs Eggos?

by Meghann on October 27, 2009

I was greeted by this lovely e-mail when I opened my e-mail this morning

There are frosted sugar cookies in the break room. Enjoy!

They’re the good sugar cookies too! I mean they’re store bought, but they’re the really soft ones with the icing on top that melts in your mouth. I may have to steal one and save it for dessert tonight. 😉

A couple of you commented that I should bring in my own healthy desserts in honor of Treat Week. Well, yes the thought did cross my mind too. Currently my name is signed under Wednesday with ‘Pumpkin Muffins’ clearly written beside it. I’m going to bake a batch up tonight and cross my finger they come out right!

This morning was my longer weekday run consisting of 7 miles. The first two miles I ran at my goal pace of 9:45, then 4 miles at my tempo pace of 9:05 and a final mile of 9:45.

I didn’t feel like straying too far from my neighborhood so I basically ran the same little loop over and over again. I have to admit it got a little boring after a while seeing the same thing go by. I think the key to keeping myself entertained during longer runs is a change of scenery with little repeating of the same loops.

After my run and shower I dug into a big plate of yummy Pumpkin Waffles!

IMG_4564

I froze two pumpkin waffles I made last Monday and toasted them this morning in the toaster. Eggo ain’t got nothin’ on my frozen waffles. 😉

IMG_4558

I topped the waffles with 1/2 a honeycrisp apple I heated up in the microwave with some TJ’s pumpkin butter, a dollop of plain yogurt, and a sprinkle of TJ’s pumpkin granola.

IMG_4560

Hmm… maybe I can make a big batch of pumpkin waffles tomorrow and bring those in for everyone tomorrow?!?! 😉

Gear Advice…

Yesterday I received a question from Julie asking for advice on running shorts.

I usually like the compression style, but I have a hard time finding a pair that will stay put while I’m running.  The leg part always rides-up and ends up looking somewhat indecent!  I have a petite build and have tried a few different brands without much success.  Can you recommend any particular pair of shorts or brands that have worked for you?  What are you favorites?

This is a tough question for me because I’m not the biggest fan of compression shorts. I prefer the cheap $10 running shorts from Old Navy or running skirts from Target.

I was hoping there were some readers out there that may be a little more knowledgeable with compression shorts and offer Julie some advice. Anyone?

Don’t forget to get your daily vote in! 😉

1 Jessica October 27, 2009 at 8:43 am

I just bought the TJ’s pumpkin pancake and waffle mix and can’t wait to try it out! I was so tempted this morning but really didn’t have time!

2 Diana October 27, 2009 at 8:53 am

Those waffles look sooo good 🙂 Delish breakfast, I bet.

3 amanda @ fake ginger October 27, 2009 at 8:53 am

Yummy! Those waffles look so much better than the oatmeal that’s staring at me right now. 🙁

4 Rosey Rebecca October 27, 2009 at 8:55 am

Your waffles look awesome! Hope your pumpkin muffins are fantastic!

5 Erica October 27, 2009 at 8:55 am

Great job on the AM run. And those waffles…droool. Is it time for lunch yet 😉 I am the same way with workout gear! I love some of Nikes shorts but usually end up going for the cheapos instead

6 Liza October 27, 2009 at 9:00 am

Under armor has great compression shorts. They do not ride up and are very comfortable. I have been wearing them for years. I used them as sliding shorts when I played soccer, and now I wear them to run in to prevent chaffing. Hope this helps.

7 Andee (Runtolive) October 27, 2009 at 9:02 am

Yum pumpkin waffles! You always come up with such creative breakfasts!

8 greensandjeans October 27, 2009 at 9:02 am

I work for a running/cycling company so I know a thing or two about spandex. I have had the best luck with seamless compression shorts, and I’ve actually found these at Target a few times! The seamless ones just tend to fit a smidge tighter and they are usually 4 way stretch instead of just 2 way, which means they won’t ride up! Good luck!

9 Sara October 27, 2009 at 9:07 am

For compression shorts I have been wearing CWX to every single race I have done. On days when my legs were KILLING me/so sore, they REALLY helped. I cannot say enough good things about them…I honestly thought it was BS and a total waste of $$ but I ended up getting mine on sale (anyone in NYC/places with Equinox gyms when they have sales stuff is CHEAP although it seems counterintuitive since the cost of the gym is so high!!!) here is a link to the length that is my favorite

Well, the guys version but the length is the same. They have saved my butt (literally) many times. And they don’t ride up. I have the short short ones (very short) which I tend to wear to hot yoga and on runs in the summer with just a sports bra. I sound like a CWX ad (i swear i don’t work for them haha) but i also LOVE their bras. Never had chafing or anything (I run half marathons and will be training for NYC Marathon in 2010 as I have guaranteed entry)

Meghann, as always, LOVE your blog 🙂 so inspirational.

10 brandi October 27, 2009 at 9:10 am

I don’t wear compression shorts very often, either.

homemade waffles are so much better than eggos 🙂

11 joelygolightly October 27, 2009 at 9:12 am

Oh homemade waffles are my fav!! My grandma has the BEST recipe that she passed down to my mom and me. 🙂

12 Erin October 27, 2009 at 9:15 am

I have the same problem with compression shorts riding up. I recently bought a pair of Reebok compression shorts at The Sports Authority and they are great (and were only $14!). They are cotton which I was a little skeptical about buying but they definitely stay put, don’t cut me in half, and they didn’t chafe (Me at least…. I’ve had many problems with long runs and chaffing. I look like I have a tattoo on my lower back!). Good luck finding a great pair! Sometimes I think it comes down to process of elimination.

13 Evan Thomas October 27, 2009 at 9:19 am

Freezing waffles is a great idea

14 Kasondra October 27, 2009 at 9:19 am

i also like old navy shorts. Try dance brand shorts too. (made for dancers) they stay put nicely too.

15 Caitlin October 27, 2009 at 9:25 am

I run in Road Runner Sports Velocity compression shorts (I do the 3″ but they have other lengths!) I’ve found getting a size larger than I normally wear reduces any muffin top/sausage leg syndrome, and also prevents riding up (for the most part…I feel like a bit of riding up is sometimes the nature of the beast with compression shorts!). These shorts are very soft and comfortable, and I’ve run a 10 miler and a marathon in them with no problems! Anyway, just wanted to give my 2 cents! 🙂

16 Matt October 27, 2009 at 9:26 am

I freeze waffles all the time. They are perfect for a quick breakfast!

17 Island Girl Eats October 27, 2009 at 9:26 am

What a ‘sweet’ week you are having at work! The muffins that you are taking into work sound very nice. Can you please post the recipe that you use? I think that I would like to make some too!

Have a good day! Enjoy your cookie later!!!!!

18 Kate October 27, 2009 at 9:27 am

I second the Under Armour Compression shorts! There are 3 inseams – 3, 5, 7 inch. I have always used the 7 and they dont budge! Usually, I put them on under running skirts. And they last a long time, I have had some of mine for 4 years now. Price is about $27 a pair.

Either way you want to find a pair that has at least a 5 inch inseam to prevent them riding up!

19 Jaclyn October 27, 2009 at 9:29 am

OOhhh – I know exactly what cookies you are talking about. They’re evil. I’m usually a homemade over store-bought kinda gal when it comes to baked goods, but those cookies are so good!

20 megan October 27, 2009 at 9:32 am

I LOVE those sugar cookies. I can never resist them. Sometimes I just eat the icing off the top because that’s my favorite 🙂

21 MelissaNibbles October 27, 2009 at 9:34 am

I like Beaker Concepts for all things compression.

22 Runningwriter October 27, 2009 at 9:40 am

My compression tights are long but the company do shorts and I love their comp tri tops so I recommend 2XU. Pricey but I’ve found their gear lasts a looong time.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/-_-/5360038106/ (Google ‘sale 2xu comp’ gear for US sites)
Oh, to be warm enough to run in shorts 🙂

23 tami October 27, 2009 at 10:05 am

those are my favorite cookies, i found a recipe and just make them now, i cut the recipe in half and it only makes about 12 i think.

24 karla October 27, 2009 at 10:07 am

i wear under armour compression shorts, and they don’t ride up at all. i also have a petite build and went through the same problems trying to find compression shorts that wouldn’t ride up.

25 Anne P October 27, 2009 at 10:19 am

I don’t know about compression shorts, but I LOVE the regular nike running shorts. i have like 5 pairs 🙂

26 meyergirl October 27, 2009 at 10:28 am

I do the same thing with pancakes. Make a big batch and freeze them. I then microwave them and toast them so they’re a little crispy. P.S. I’m giving away a breast cancer awareness Ipod nano armband case on my blog: http://lovinlosing.com/

27 Lauren October 27, 2009 at 10:29 am

I am like you Meghann-I love the running shorts and skirts at Target. My favorite are the running shorts because they have the liner on the inside and they don’t make my legs chafe. They are very comfortable and have a small pouch inside for gummies and goos.

28 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) October 27, 2009 at 10:45 am

omg those sugar cookies with the frosting! They are way too good!!!

29 Juicy Jessy October 27, 2009 at 10:47 am

mmmh look delicious! I’m on phase 1 from south beach right now, so no fruit for me for the moment. Which is very hard, looking at those apples on your blog 🙂

30 prettytimepiece October 27, 2009 at 11:04 am

sugar cookies aahhhh. the white frosted ones with the lil RAINBOW SPRINKLES… mmm you are totally making me crave one.

i voted for ya!

31 runningaroundnormal October 27, 2009 at 11:15 am

Those sugar cookies are my fave too – I know which ones you’re talking about!

Your waffles look delish!

32 angieinatlanta October 27, 2009 at 11:57 am

Publix sugar cookies!? THOSE are the best!

Good luck on your baking adventure tonight!

33 The Vegan Anti-Hero October 27, 2009 at 11:59 am

RRS Velocity compression shorts are the way to go. I don’t usually wear compression shorts but when I do, I go with these. I feel they are more comfortable than the Under Armor when it comes to running.

34 Allison October 27, 2009 at 12:43 pm

Julie: Try a running skirt! The GymGirl style from skirtsports.com, the Athletic Skirt style from runningskirts.com, and the Commitment style from skirtgoddess.com all have compression shorts. Running skirts are the best!

35 Jenna October 27, 2009 at 1:43 pm

omg the store bought sugar cookies with frosting are the best!! glad you snagged one 🙂
jenna

36 ellenp1214 October 27, 2009 at 1:52 pm

psh, healthy treats. there’s nothing wrong with eating an unhealthy treat!

37 Megan October 27, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Hey!! I was wondering if you have to do anything special to freeze waffles. I had some left over the other day and was wondering how to do it. Also, on the subject, how the heck do you freeze soup?? I made a big batch the other day but wasn’t sure how to freeze it.

Also, on the compression short front, Nike has some AMAZING running (and some technically tennis) skirts with tight spandex shorts underneath. They’re not full-on compression shorts, but they don’t ride up and are super comfy and cute too!

38 Meghann October 27, 2009 at 2:07 pm

I just put the waffle in a freezer friendly ziploc and then toss it in the freezer, then treat it just like I would an eggo by dropping it in the toaster straight from the freezer.

To Freeze soup I just portion it out and place it in freezable tupperware – nothing special.

39 Megan October 27, 2009 at 3:12 pm

Perf!! Thanks!! I was freaking out about “special freezer tricks” for nothing I guess! 😉

40 Kristen October 27, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Those soft, iced sugar cookies are of the devil! So terribly delicious. Despite being store-bought, I think they fall solidly into the “worth it” category.

41 Caroline October 27, 2009 at 8:15 pm

Why do the store bought ones taste so incredibly delicious. I seriously peruse the bakery when I go into a big grocery store to see if there are any free samples and then if there are I get like 20. I would be powerless in the face of one of those cookies. Good plan to use it as an afternoon snack 🙂

42 lauren October 28, 2009 at 2:54 pm

After seeing you have the TJs pumpkin waffles a couple of times I decided it was time to try them! I bought the mix a few days ago and bought a waffle iron yesterday. They tasted good but didn’t seem to get crispy like my toasted freezer ones get. I’ve never used a waffle iron before so I don’t know if they are supposed to be more soft and fluffy, or crisp and crunchy. How do yours come out?

43 Meghann October 28, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Usually homemade waffles are soft. If you are looking for a crispier texture then I suggest leaving it in a little longer.