more ยป" />

Recovery with Yoga

by Meghann on October 26, 2009

Good Morning Sunshine!

Technically there isnโ€™t any sunshine yet. A dense fog has taken over Orlando and left the morning damp and dreary. Good thing Mondays are reserved for yoga and not running. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I did a 45 minute yoga session through Exercise TV on demand that really stretched my legs out this morning. My leg muscles always thank me profusely when I indulge in yoga the day after long runs.

Last night I was feeling extra productive in the kitchen. Not only did I prep a homemade pizza crust for dinner tonight, but I also prepped breakfast for this morning.

IMG_4495

Last night I filled my bowl with

• 1/2 cup Rolled Oats
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Chopped Almonds
  • Raisins
  • Chocolate Chips
  • Pumpkin Spice

Then I let it rest in the fridge overnight.

IMG_4496

This morning I topped my overnight oats with a dollop of Almond Butter, 1/2 a Honeycrisp Apple, and some Cinnamon.

IMG_4498

I like my oats nice and thick. This was spot on. Yum!

IMG_4500

Office Treatsโ€ฆ

Before every holiday my office instates a โ€˜Treat Weekโ€™ where each day in the week leading up to the holiday co-workers will bring in treats to help celebrate.

Currently the office is gearing up for Halloween and so far I have received two e-mails this morning (before 8:30am!) offering up treats in the office.

Chocolate chip cookies in break room! Enjoy ๐Ÿ™‚

The Business Office is celebrating Halloween this week by making candy treats available to all employees in the eSchool Orlando Corporate office.

Stop by all week and help yourself.

We have lots of variety in our trick or treat buckets.

Wanda,Christine,Tina and myself all have treats at our door ready for you.

Need a chocolate or sugar fix to get through the day. We got it!

Enjoy!

Iโ€™ve also spotted brownies and a danish ring making their way to the kitchen.

Oh boy! This is going to be a week of will power, I can tell you that much right now!

Here are some simple rules I try to live by when dealing with the holiday office treats:

• Avoid the kitchen or common area when possible
  • Delete e-mails informing me of said goodies immediately
  • Store bought goodies are never worth, but homemade ones are worth a nibble
  • If the brownie looks really good, Iโ€™ll wrap it in a napkin and save it for later instead of shoving it in my mouth when Iโ€™m not even hungry

What are your tricks and tips for avoiding office treats?

Top 5โ€ฆ

I was ecstatic to log in this morning and discovered I am currently resting in the Top 5 position for the Sam-e Good Mood Blogger position. Eeekkkk!!!!

I am also less then 200 votes away from hitting 4000!

I can not thank everyone enough for their continued support. We only have until this Friday to get as many votes in as possible, so please keep up the good work. Donโ€™t forget to vote every day from every computer you can think of!

Vote for Me
Good Mood Gig from SAM-e

1 megan October 26, 2009 at 8:53 am

I have the same difficulty with office treats – it seems like we always have treats here! I am similar to you – avoid the store-bought ones, try the homemade ๐Ÿ™‚ If I know we are going to have treats, a lot of times I just don’t bring an afternoon snack. Then I eat a healthy lunch, and eat a treat (or two) as my snack. Then I feel like I got to have what I wanted, but without going overboard on food.

2 Nicci@NiftyEats October 26, 2009 at 9:01 am

Unfortunately I’m the one who sends those messages out in the morning to coworkers via my boss. This year, our office is having everyone bring ”healthy snacks” for pumpkins on our desks. People think healthy means ”PB crackers” how sad and I still have candy in my bucket. lol

3 Jessica October 26, 2009 at 9:02 am

From the moment I started working, I have declined ANY food brought into the office. The employees know this and don’t even ask me. It also has stopped temptation for me.

4 rhodeygirltests October 26, 2009 at 9:04 am

I already voted today. I feel like it has become a part of my morning computer routine… read blogs, vote for meghann, check twitter, work. hahaha

Funny enough when I was working back in RI I was the one that always brought in the treats! By bringing them in myself I could bring ones I knew I wouldn’t touch but that others would love. They get a yummy treat and I can easily avoid it. However we were also an office of only 6 and I was the manager so no one else would even THINK to bring something in you know?

5 greenbean October 26, 2009 at 9:08 am

for avoiding office treats…i promise to not eat anything that i didn’t bring to work. that’s it. keeps me away from the vending machine as well.

6 Matt October 26, 2009 at 9:11 am

I worked in an office the past few summers and it seemed like they would find every excuse to bring in treats. I actually found it quite annoying when people tried to shove food down my throat.

7 dailygoods October 26, 2009 at 9:20 am

dang girl! i hope you win ๐Ÿ™‚ itd be amazing!! and also cant wait to meet in san frannnnn. i love the dress u got from h&m. i need to do some major shopping before i go! i havent been to h&m in forever, it might be time!

8 Emily October 26, 2009 at 9:24 am

Luckily I only work with 7 other people so we don’t bring treats here often! =]

9 Paige at Running Around Normal October 26, 2009 at 9:26 am

My office basically does the same thing. It’s so hard to stay away! But I agree with ya that some are worth it and some aren’t!

10 greensandjeans October 26, 2009 at 9:28 am

I usually bring in something that would be a treat for me, like a great lunch or a coffee so I feel like I’m getting something extra too!

11 Jamie October 26, 2009 at 9:30 am

Hey Meghann,

Congrats on the top 5! I started a blog called the Next 6 Months back in January but I never really kept it up. Now I am in NYC and have a job that requires me to travel often. I decided to start a blog showing how I try to stay healthy on the road and balancing a busy life in NY. I have been soo inspired by your blog and read it every single day. You deserve the good mood blogger award!

Anyway, check out my blog if you have a sec and good luck!
Jamie

12 Jenna October 26, 2009 at 9:33 am

great tips on the treats ๐Ÿ˜‰ although you soo deserve to indulge after all your hard working!!
jenna

13 Evan Thomas October 26, 2009 at 9:39 am

I don’t necessarily avoid goodies, but if it’s store bought or made from a mix I feel completely fine passing them up

14 Lizzy October 26, 2009 at 9:45 am

i agree i rather have homemade goodies rather then the store bought stuff!

15 Jody October 26, 2009 at 9:48 am

I just gave you your official 4,000th vote. Good luck! ๐Ÿ™‚

16 skinnyrunner October 26, 2009 at 9:48 am

wow that would be hard! i would definitely have to do the whole avoidance thing and make sure i had some healthy snacks to snack on. good luck!

17 Whitney @ Lettuce Love October 26, 2009 at 9:50 am

Congrats on the top 5! Office treats are killer. I find eating out with coworkers difficult too.

18 Tay October 26, 2009 at 9:51 am

I know it’s kind of a bad thing to do, but I used to think of some treats in terms of “miles ran”. Or that’s X amount of miles (as in calories)..definitely not worth it. Or I’ll think “Hmmm instead of that brownie, I’d MUCH rather have X”. And then I”ll treat myself to what I REALLY want instead ๐Ÿ™‚

19 Emily October 26, 2009 at 9:57 am

I would definitely bring some of my own healthified treats (like fresh fruit and veggies + dip) to munch on.

I need to do some yoga so badly. Sounds like a great morning workout!

20 eatolive October 26, 2009 at 10:05 am

ugh office treats are THE worst!!!

and congrats on the top five!! i’ve been voting away! ๐Ÿ™‚

21 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) October 26, 2009 at 10:09 am

voted ๐Ÿ™‚ you’ll get to 5000 today no problem!

22 Lauren October 26, 2009 at 10:27 am

I always have such a hard time with tempting treats like that. But luckily at my work now we don’t have anyone bringing in treats like that. I just have to fight off the urge to eat cheese everyday (we sell artisan cheeses) It’s always tough!

Good luck with the Good Mood Blogger votes

23 carolyn~ October 26, 2009 at 10:37 am

Ok, I am not a germ-a-phobe, but I sometimes would wonder what the persons kitchen was like who made it. It would sort of freak me out and also seeing everybody touch it…I guess in light of the H1N1 I am not totally crazy! Anyway, it keeps me from eating anything people bring in…:)

24 Gloria October 26, 2009 at 10:48 am

Here’s how I deal with any food in the office, ever… Don’t eat it. I never feel deprived. Every week our CEO brings in boxes of Dunkin Donuts with a post-it attached that says “Happy Monday”. Nothing about a disgusting fat and sugar-laden ring of nastiness makes me any more capable of starting my week off right.. actually it does the opposite. Sorry, I’m really angsty about this today.

You bake such great things! Bring in your own goodies and show them how yummy and healthy treats can really be!

25 Fallon October 26, 2009 at 11:15 am

My tricks to being surrounded by goodies at work are:
1. Store bought is not worth it
2. I don’t know who’s kitchen they homebaked goods were made in, if it was clean, tools clean, do they have pets etc etc. So that really helps me to avoid it
3. If I know the person and their treat is special I’ll take just half of it for a taste.

Other then that I’m not tempted by treats and if I have a jar of nut butte and piece of fruit at work, that is my favorite kind of treat!

26 Rosey Rebecca October 26, 2009 at 11:53 am

I really hope you win!

I love your tricks! I was never tempted by store bought sweets when I worked in an office but if someone brought in homemade cookies, forget about it!

27 Mama Pea October 26, 2009 at 11:58 am

Top 5?! You go sister! That is super exciting! I always took my own snacks to the office so that I could avoid the goodies. You tricks are wonderful.

28 Chloe October 26, 2009 at 11:58 am

I keep healthy snacks in my drawer so I don’t reach for the sugary treats when I’m famished. It also helps to keep gum around, I pop a piece in whenever I get a craving but know I’m not hungry. The treat season has definitely begun!

29 Julie October 26, 2009 at 12:01 pm

I avoid making eye contacts with any and all treats. Sometimes I cave and have some candy, but most of the time I can be good.

30 meyergirl October 26, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Just voted for you again, good luck!! P.S. I’m giving away a breast cancer awareness Ipod Nano armband case on my blog: http://lovinlosing.com/

31 Carrie @ I See Monsters October 26, 2009 at 1:12 pm

I have the hardest time with office treats, ESPECIALLY cake. What I’ve discovered about my new office (by multiple taste testings, LOL) is no one here actually makes homemade cakes. They either make boxed cakes or buy them from grocery store bakeries. Honestly? Those aren’t worth it to me, so I’ve decided starting next time I’m not going to eat the cake. It’s going to be interesting seeing everyone’s reactions considering I’m known as sort of a cake fiend…but I’d rather have a homemade cake or cake from my favorite local bakery than chemical-filled, artificial tasting cake from a box. (Actually, boxed cake isn’t so bad. It’s the icing in a can that’s disgusting.)

Good luck with your willpower this week! ๐Ÿ™‚

32 Amy October 26, 2009 at 1:23 pm

Ha I’m lucky, I work in such a small office that overload of treats is never a problem. It’s a very rare occasion that anyone brings in treats.

On the other hand, one of my housemates bakes treats for her office at least once a week, usually twice a week! Crazy!

33 jennylikestorun October 26, 2009 at 2:51 pm

Awesome to hear you’re in the top 5!!! ๐Ÿ˜€ Congratulations! I just voted for you again.
When avoiding “office” treats, my friends understand how I like to eat healthy, so basically they’ve just stopped offering me anything haha.
It doesn’t bother me. I know I’m welcome to have some if I want. But my will power is strong enough to resist.

34 Susan October 26, 2009 at 6:17 pm

I use the same rules at the office as I do at special occasions. If it’s a special baked good or treat that I know I would LOVE and not get the chance to try, say, ever again, then I have it. For example, I always turn down the numerous donuts and generic white cake that’s in the break room. But not that long ago, a co-worker brought in a delicious homemade apple crisp that I took a small serving of. Just a few bites worth and every single one was worth it! ๐Ÿ˜€

35 Kelly October 26, 2009 at 10:55 pm

These are all great tips! Here’s something that I struggle with, and I’d love to get your advice and/or your readers’ advice! At my office I don’t have a problem avoiding treats in the break room/kitchen, but for birthdays they love to have a “cake and ice cream” party at a certain time. This is more of an event, where the only food served is cake. It’s always store-bought cake, which is dry and not very tasty. How can I avoid it when everyone is being served a piece? I don’t want to seem rude, and I’d love to celebrate the person’s birthday with my coworkers, but I’m not sure what to say to turn down the treat. If someone declined a treat that I offered, I wouldn’t question any further, but some people LOVE the follow-up questions or try to shame you into eating it….any tips?