more ยป" />

Homemade Treats

by Meghann on October 26, 2009

Dodging the office goodies was a bit harder than anticipated. Instead of the typical store bought treats the common kitchen table was filled with homemade cookies, blondies, biscuits and various other treats. All homemade, all fresh and all fantastic looking.

I was good and resisted, but when snack time hit I decided to sample a piece of a chocolate chip blondie.

The blondie was the perfect addition to the Pumpkin Pie Yogurt I brought from home.

Yum! Incorporating a treat into my afternoon snack was absolute genius. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yesterday it dawned on me that it had been well over a week since I last ate pizza. Pizza is my favorite food and it’s a rare occasion when I go a weekend without enjoying a nice slice of hot pizza.

I was tempted to purchase pre-made crust at Publix, but opted to prep a batch of Jenna’s Best Pizza Dough instead.

Last night I prepared the dough per Jenna’s simple instructions with just a few alternations. Here was the mix I ended up with.

• 1 1/2 C Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1 1/2 C All Purpose Flour
  • 1/2 C Ground Flax Seed
  • 1 T Chia Seeds
  • 1 T Dried Basil
  • 1 T Oregano
  • 1 packet Yeast
  • 1 1/3 C Warm Water

The dough rested over night and after work I split it in half. One portion went in the freezer and the other was rolled out to a beautiful thin crust.

Of course the best part of homemade pizza is the toppings. ๐Ÿ™‚

I piled my crust high with marinara sauce, left over roasted vegetables from last night, and some gobs of goat cheese.

YUM!!

I had two slices of my homemade pizza with a side Spinach Salad.

Spinach, Beets, Mushrooms and a drizzle of Annie’s Yogurt Dressing.

Dessert was a stolen office treat – Homemade Vegan Peanut Butter Cup.

This treat just goes to show you how co-workers can surprise you. The Vegan Peanut Butter Cup was whipped up by one of our developers last night on a whim after a football game. He didn’t use a recipe and just went with what he thought would taste good.

I was a little thrown off when he said vegan because he does not seem the vegan type, but I guess that goes to show you not to judge a book by its cover. He told me he is not a vegan, but likes to experiment with vegan baking and is trying to go vegetarian for the month of October. Who knew? Its amazing the things you can learn from co-workers if you just take the time to talk about life instead of work. ๐Ÿ™‚

Alright, I have an early 7 mile tempo run planned in the morning and my bed is calling my name, but before I go here is my nightly plea to go VOTE. ๐Ÿ™‚

Good Night!!!!

1 Evan Thomas October 26, 2009 at 8:53 pm

Oh my good, only a fool would pass up a treat like that.
I love finding out things about friends/coworkers you wouldn’t guess. I love making my baked goods as vegan as possible, but I tried going completely vegan for 1 day last week and it was not easy I must say

2 Anne P October 26, 2009 at 8:55 pm

um, can you come make me pizza?!?

3 Erin October 26, 2009 at 8:56 pm

Homemade goodies are so much better than storebought crap. Yum! ๐Ÿ™‚

4 Nicole October 26, 2009 at 8:58 pm

I love it when others surprise me with their vegan treats! I never expect to have treats I can eat, but I was super surprised the other day when my aunt made a vegan carrot cake for my grandma’s birthday, just so I could have a slice!

5 ClubVeg October 26, 2009 at 9:01 pm

oh my gosh, i want the recipe for the pb cup!!

6 Julie October 26, 2009 at 9:03 pm

That’s so cute, a guy whipping up a vegan treat after a football game. People are so surprising!!

7 Shannon October 26, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Your pizza looks amazing, as do the treats. I work off of 3 different computers throughout my days and I’ve been voting for from each one! ๐Ÿ™‚

8 Sara October 26, 2009 at 9:07 pm

Hi Meghann, Ive been voting for you every day, im sure you;ll get the job!
Im normally a lurker, but im reaching out for a little blogworld comfort. Im training for the Disney Marathon as well and it will be my first marathon, but the injury ghost caught me last week!! ๐Ÿ™ I have sciatica, which is an inflammation of the sciatic nerve. I had to rest all of last week (which thankfully was a taper week), and that with some meds was suppose to cure it, but the pain is still there! My doctor said I would have to take shots (the first of which I got today and was PAINFUL!!!) and take a couple more days off running.
I know it doesnt seem like such a big deal, but long runs are getting longer by the week. im suppose to tackle a 16-miler this saturday (my first one too), and I just dont think Im gonna be able to. Im scared of losing my endurance and very bummed out because I was feeling stronger than ever!!

I dont know how to readjust my training plan, any suggestions or words or encouragement??ยก?ยก

9 Britt October 26, 2009 at 9:10 pm

Good job resisting temptation but making the most of a treat or two. And yes you never know who is going to break out the vegan recipe….although I highly doubt any of my co-workers would. LOL

10 Mish October 26, 2009 at 9:11 pm

I love LOVE pizza with hardly any cheese on it. Due to health reasons I don’t eat dairy anymore. I made pizza the other night w/o any cheese and thought to myself–why haven’t I done this before. Yummy food.

11 Jenna October 26, 2009 at 9:12 pm

great idea of incorporating the yummy choc. chip blondie into your afternoon snack!
jenna

i love how you have dessert every night ๐Ÿ™‚

12 Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama October 26, 2009 at 9:18 pm

That’s it – I am off to find that yogurt!
Healthy Eating
Tasha

13 foodieinthecity October 26, 2009 at 9:23 pm

Oh my goodness. Pizza and that PB cup!?!? Wow and wow.

Maybe he would give up the recipe for the blog ๐Ÿ˜‰

14 Jessica October 26, 2009 at 9:26 pm

I had the pumpkin pie yogurt today and I really wasn’t a fan. I was so disappointed. ๐Ÿ™

15 Sarah October 26, 2009 at 9:32 pm

Every time I attempt to make pizza dough something always turns out really wrong.

I might have to reattempt my dough making again with this recipe. Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

16 Jessie (Vegan-minded) October 26, 2009 at 9:42 pm

It’s nice to see such a healthy pizza crust that is easy to make as well. As far as I’m concerned, pizza and salad is the perfect meal. I like the sound of that vegan peanut butter cup too!

17 Kasondra October 26, 2009 at 9:52 pm

brussel sprouts on a pizza is a great idea!! i definitly have to try that : )

18 Lizzy October 26, 2009 at 9:53 pm

pizza looks wonderful, i love how thin you rolled out the crust! So glad you decided to have some treats, and who knew you would find something interesting about a co-worker! thats so awesome! ๐Ÿ™‚ Night!

19 Jamie October 26, 2009 at 10:38 pm

Your meals always look amazing!

20 Elise October 26, 2009 at 10:58 pm

I read and love your blog, but I am slightly disheartened by the language you use when you say “I was good and resisted” — obviously it’s your blog/voice/life, and I’m not telling you it’s wrong, but I just wanted to point it out because I think it sounds kinda disordered.

21 jennylikestorun October 26, 2009 at 10:59 pm

Yumm! I’m inspired to go bake some pizza now. i think I will. Homemade pizza for tea ๐Ÿ˜€

Gosh, Today I had a foodie’s worst nightmare, I felt like a bottomless pit and just could not get full and stay full. I was snacking ALL DAY, and unfortunately my friends had food on offer like chips and chocolate milk ๐Ÿ™ I only ate 3 chips and one swig of the milk, but still. Ugh, I didn’t feel good for it after. It’s the fact that it’s store bought crap!

22 Julie October 26, 2009 at 11:08 pm

i am so jealous .. I was just talking about how I cannot find that pumpkin pie yogurt anywhere!

Pizza looks great ๐Ÿ™‚

23 MarathonVal October 26, 2009 at 11:42 pm

I love putting chia seeds in my pizza dough too! Yum!

24 Mama Pea October 27, 2009 at 12:13 am

Uh, yeah, I need that PB cup. I guess Alicia Silverstone has a recipe for vegan PB cups in her new book. Now I’m going to have to go buy it. Sigh.

25 Juicy Jessy October 27, 2009 at 2:13 am

those treats look SO good! and it’s funny that you’ve discovered that the colleague is into veggie stuff etc ๐Ÿ™‚

26 ellenp1214 October 27, 2009 at 5:35 am

mmm, i’m pizza-obsessed ๐Ÿ™‚ looks delicious!

27 Diana October 27, 2009 at 5:38 am

Those treats look yummy ๐Ÿ™‚ But I would definitely prefer to try the homemade pizza! ๐Ÿ˜‰

28 Stacey October 27, 2009 at 6:18 am

I know how you feel! I start to CRAVE pizza after about 2 weeks of not having it…it’s def a favorite of mine ๐Ÿ™‚ Glad you got your fix! Haha

29 Susan October 27, 2009 at 8:02 am

Meghann, you totally need to bring in some of your own healthy baked goods for your coworkers to enjoy! Okay okay, and it will give you a healthy and yummy option at the office ๐Ÿ™‚

30 Meg C. October 27, 2009 at 8:04 am

Those goodies definitely seem “worth it”! Thank you for writing about this – struggles with avoiding sweets are one of the hardest parts of eating healthy (for me at least)

31 Matt October 27, 2009 at 8:30 am

Pizza is my menu for tonight ๐Ÿ™‚

32 rhodeygirltests October 27, 2009 at 9:03 am

just. voted. today. hahahha! i am voting from both my work computer and my laptop ๐Ÿ™‚

i am posting my pizza dough recipe and video tomorrow…. i have been working on it for a year so hopefully everyone likes it as much as i do!

33 Christy October 27, 2009 at 9:39 am

that pizza looks awesome!! so colorful ๐Ÿ˜†

34 meyergirl October 27, 2009 at 10:16 am

Voted again! Good luck! P.S. Iโ€™m giving away a breast cancer awareness Ipod Nano armband case on my blog: http://lovinlosing.com/

35 Lauren October 27, 2009 at 11:36 am

Your office treats look so good–very impressed by the baking habits of your coworkers! If people at my company baked like that, I would probably have to repeal my ‘no-eating-office-food’ rule ๐Ÿ˜‰ I’m just honestly not tempted by donuts and store-bought cookies!

Pumpkin muffins sound like a very good contribution. And on another pumpkin-related note, I can’t wait to try the Stonyfield pumpkin pie yogurt!

36 khaughney October 27, 2009 at 2:20 pm

That pizza looks fantastic. Love the blog!

37 Amy C. October 27, 2009 at 2:39 pm

Mmm the treats look yummy. I must say the pizza looks best though. I have to make that sometime!! ๐Ÿ™‚