Walking for a Cure

by Meghann on October 24, 2009

This morning thousands of walkers came together with one common cause – Making Strides Against Breast Cancer.

It was a BEAUTIFUL sunny morning once again in central Florida. The sun was shining bright without a cloud in the sky and the temps were expected to reach the 90s. Only in Florida could you ever confuse a day in October with a day in the dead of summer.

In 1995 my family suffered a great loss when my Aunt Joan passed away after fighting a losing battle with breast cancer. Thirteen years later my cousin discovered the perfect way to honor her memory by registering a few family members for a local breast cancer awareness walk.

Last year a handful of us were able to raise just over $800 in less then a week. This year with a little more planning and dedication, 12 came of us came together to raise close to $1500!

I know my Aunt Joan would have been proud to see us all come together in a joint effort to raise money in her memory.

The walk was held this morning about 30 minutes outside of Orlando at 9:00am. This meant I had to leave my apartment at 6:45am to make it to my cousin’s at 7:!5am so we could arrive at the start before 8:30am.

Breakfast had to be eaten on the go.

I made an Almond Butter, Pumpkin Butter & Raisin Sandwich to eat on the road.

I also ate about 1/2 of the giant Honey Crisp Apple pictured above.

During the walk my stomach started growling, so I dug in the Kashi Peanut Butter Granola Bar they were handing out before the start.

The walk was hot, but fun.

There were a few organizational problems along the way, such as the criss crossing of walkers at one point and the lack of water on the course. There was a total of three water stations on the course and each one we passed had ‘just run out’ of water.

When we finished we hauled butt to Mimi’s Cafe for a celebration lunch.

You think we would have learned our lesson after the slow service and large crowds we experienced last year, but we didn’t. We waited over 45 minutes for a table – even though we told the hostess multiple times we had no problem being split up – and they managed to mess up a few of our orders. In the end our brunch became a full on lunch by the time we left.

I didn’t order a muffin of of my own, but did manage to steal a sliver of a Pumpkin Spice and Carrot Raisin Muffin.

IMG_4407.JPG IMG_4408.JPG

Originally I had ordered the Sante Fe Egg White Omlette from the Fresh n’ Fit Menu which meant the omlette was served without potatoes and cheese. The waitress has misunderstood my order and I was served the santa fe omlette from the regular menu. I sent it back and ate my side of fruit while everyone else began their meals.

Eventually they did deliver the correct order, but when the waitress brought it back she told me that next time I need to let her know which version of the omlette I wanted – which I had but she chose to ignore my pointing finger and questions. Ughh.

WIth the Omlette I had dry Wheat Toast.

I ate one piece with strawberry jam.

After lunch we all said our good byes and made plans for a bigger and better team next year. I love our new family tradition. :)

Central Florida VegFest is happening right now and I need to get down there to check it out before its too late!

If you’re in the Orlando area you should head to Loch Haven Park right now to check it out! If so, I’ll see you there!!

1 Jessica October 24, 2009 at 4:40 pm

What a nice way to honor your aunt’s memory. :)

2 Diana October 24, 2009 at 4:44 pm

Glad you all had a good time and it’s great that it is for such a good cause. :)

3 VeggieGirl October 24, 2009 at 4:46 pm

Fabulous cause and day!

4 Nicole October 24, 2009 at 4:52 pm

That walk looked like a great bonding experience!

That is so annoying when they don’t hear your order!! I know how it is, I used to wait tables, but come on! She probably just wasn’t listening or got your order mixed up with someone else’s.

5 Matt October 24, 2009 at 5:23 pm

Sounds like you walked for a great cause!

6 Rebeca October 24, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Awesome! What a great cause and tribute to your aunt…

Eww on that waitress though!

7 rhodeygirltests October 24, 2009 at 5:26 pm

great cause girl.

i would have been really annoyed if the waitress said that to me. actually i AM annoyed right now for you.

8 Jess October 24, 2009 at 5:30 pm

What a great way to honor your aunt. What terrible customer service — even if you had been confusing it’s still her fault and the customer is always right!

9 Evan Thomas October 24, 2009 at 5:41 pm

I love breakfasty lunches. Lookin good!

10 joelygolightly October 24, 2009 at 5:42 pm

What a great walk… That same thing always happens to me too at restaurants, btw, so don’t feel bad! I’m always that girl at the table whose order isn’t right when the waitress brings everything out. :)

11 Erica October 24, 2009 at 5:46 pm

I think it is SO wonderful that you all do this as a family. My Aunt was diagnosed when she was very young and is a survivor so this is very near and dear to my heart! Can’t wait to hear about the VegFest

12 Ali October 24, 2009 at 6:32 pm

Sounds like a great day! I am sure your aunt is proud! Glad you guys raised a LOT of money! Way to go!!!

13 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) October 24, 2009 at 6:52 pm

ugh I hate when waitresses get snappy like that! So annoying.

Looks like you did a great job honoring your aunt :)

14 runeatsleep October 24, 2009 at 6:54 pm

SO great to hear about raising breast cancer awareness! My sister is a breast cancer survivor (she’s only 28), and I KNOW what it’s like to have someone in your family be diagnosed. I also know what it’s like when you order something with some changes and the waiter/waitress decides NOT to listen, ugh! Anyways, thanks again for raising awareness, and don’t forget to do those monthly self-exams! SAVE THE TA-TAs! :)

15 Lizzy October 24, 2009 at 7:31 pm

I love this cause! Breast cancer runs in my family and thankfully i’ve been lucky and haven’t lost anyoene from it yet, but i’m positive that your aunt was looking down on your family today and so happy to see what you guys did! :) What a fun day!

16 Jenna October 24, 2009 at 7:36 pm

great job on the walk!
i hate it when waitresses don’t listen to you, so frustrating! but i am glad you finally got what you wanted!
jenna

17 April October 24, 2009 at 7:42 pm

Oooh can’t wait to hear about vegfest!

18 Mindy October 25, 2009 at 8:55 am

Just wanted to say thank you for participating and thanks to everyone who donated money! We raised more money than I expected- we will have to set a higher goal next year……

P.S. This is my first time ever posting a comment on a blog- I figured you would be proud:)

19 Erica October 25, 2009 at 10:51 am

On behalf of breast cancer survivors, THANK YOU MEGHANN! I appreciate every penny raised and all the time spent getting family and friends organized to participate in such a wonderful cause. Your aunt would definitely be proud! xoxo