The Return

by Meghann on October 22, 2009

I would like to present ‘The Return of Trader Joe Peanut Butter Filled Pretzels!’

It has been far too long my friends. Aren’t they beautiful?

IMG_4150

The serving of peanut butter filled pretzels as a mid-morning snack added a little something extra to my day. I almost forgot how good they are! It’s like an addict being reintroduced to the thing they crave. 😉

Another return… last night’s Black Bean & Pineapple Enchilada left overs.

IMG_4158

A couple of you were asking for the recipe last night, so here’s my quick hand version of it:

• In a small bowl combine a can of Black Beans, Fresh Pineapple, Cheese, Jalapenos, and Enchilada Sauce.
  • Fill a tortilla with the mix then roll like a burrito
  • The mix should fill 4 large tortillas that fit in an 8×8 pan
  • Coat the enchiladas with remaining enchilada sauce and sprinkle the top with cheese
  • Bake in the oven at 375 for 20 minutes

For lunch I reheated one of the enchiladas in the microwave and topped it with some plain yogurt

IMG_4159

The enchilada was laid to rest on a bed of greens with cucumber, olives, salsa and mushrooms.

IMG_4157

Delish.

—-

Tonight my old college roommate is coming to town and I can’t wait! We have plans of eating, drinking, shopping and playing the role of tourist tomorrow at Sea World.

Erin and I met as random roommates freshmen year. We lived in a suite style dorm, so technically we were suite mates. She had a roommate and I had a roommate and the four of us shared a common area and a bathroom.

At first, I thought Erin didn’t like me. I was really shy and had problems finding my place in my new surroundings. Then one night Erin and I had a bonding session over shopping, barbeque pork and sweet tea – we’ve been BFFs ever since.

Erin and I continued to stay roommates for the remainder of college. During that time we both went through some life altering changes, but no matter what I had her back and she always had mine. After graduation Erin moved to Jacksonville and I stayed in Tallahassee for another year before moving to Orlando. The last time we saw each other face to face was in July of 2008. It has been far too long!

Throughout my four years of college I lived with a total of 10 different people. It’s sad I’ve only managed to keep in touch with a couple of them, the rest I only occasionally stalk on Facebook to see what is new in their lives. A couple things I learned from those years is sharing a fridge between four people is impossible, I am a slob, college apartments have very thin walls, and yes, some people are just plain crazy. I could probably go on an on about this, but I’ll save it for another day. Let’s just say there is a reason why I currently LOVE living by my self.

Did you have the same roommates all four years in college? Did you have random ones? Do you keep in touch with any of them?

P.S. Don’t forget to keep the votes coming! 😉 Have I mentioned you guys rock yet today?

Vote for Me
Good Mood Gig from SAM-e

1 Jessica October 22, 2009 at 1:16 pm

I love TJ’s peanut butter filled pretzels. To say they are addicting is an understatement.

2 Andee(RuntoLive) October 22, 2009 at 1:16 pm

Yum! I made a similar dish the other night but baked the tortillas first then mixed them into the enchilada dish for a taco casserole

3 Diana October 22, 2009 at 1:19 pm

I wish I could try those pretzels. 😐 They sound like they’re really good. 😛

Aw, have a good time with your friend!

4 Gina October 22, 2009 at 1:20 pm

I have yet to try TJ’s peanut butter pretzels. I’ll make sure to pick up some the next time I stop there.
Over 4 years in college, I had 7 different roommates. 3 were random, and 4 I lived with for 2 years. I talk to a few every once in awhile and the ones I’m closest to all live at least 2 hours away so it’s hard to get together often.

5 fittipexchange October 22, 2009 at 1:22 pm

I voted for you on all the computers in my office 🙂 everyone though I was nuts…lol

Sarah

6 Chloe October 22, 2009 at 1:24 pm

I definitely need to get some TJ’s pb pretzels – those look amazing and would be the perfect midmorning snack!
College roommates are so fun – I lived with the same girl for 3 years and loved it. The two of us got along really well, never fought, and still remain good friends. Have fun!

7 Mama Pea October 22, 2009 at 1:26 pm

Those pretzels are vegan too: HOLLAH!

You and your best friend are GORGEOUS. I’ve recently reunited with my best friend from college and i just love her to death!

8 megzzwinsatlife October 22, 2009 at 1:27 pm

I love bonding with college friends!! Who bought you pretzels?? Caitlin from Cali?? haha Have a nice day!

9 Evan Thomas October 22, 2009 at 1:30 pm

I have those pretzels under the bed in my dorm right now. I’m afraid to open the bag because I know 2 days later there’ll be gone

10 Sarah October 22, 2009 at 1:31 pm

thats so great you get to see your friend! i lived with a random fresh year too that i am still great friends with! soph year i lived in a sorority house with 60 girls…ha. junior year a house with 9 girls (1 fridge and NO dishwasher…how did i do that). i obviously didn’t learn cause senior yr i lived with 10 girls! at least we had 2 friges:). i now have 4 roomates and there are so many times i wish i had my own space! o well…one day ha!

11 Mellissa October 22, 2009 at 1:34 pm

Cute pics! I had the same roommates for 3 years and we really had a blast! I am still very close with one and occasionally talk to the other two.

12 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 22, 2009 at 1:34 pm

omg I have horror stories about college roomies….bahahah…I was SO happy to live on my own!!!!!
have fun catching up!

13 AshleyP October 22, 2009 at 1:35 pm

I lived in the same style suite you did and o.m.g. 2 out of the 4 of us were completely insane!! The other normal girl and I sort of bonded, but by the time the end of the year came, I think we were ready to totally move on, haha. I found a great deal on a 2 bedroom apartment, and lived alone for a summer and a semester before one of my friends moved in for the rest of college.

Towards the end, I had met my now husband and pretty much lived in that apartment in name and furniture only, haha.

14 Kathleen October 22, 2009 at 1:36 pm

I know this will sound insane but I have lived with 26 different people since I started college. 2 diff roommates in the dorms, 6 in my first apartment, 3 in my next, 9 guys in the house I lived in next, 3 girls in the next apartment and finally 3 gay guys in my current house.

We move around a lot, and we have people who share leases (someone else moves in for spring or summer) so that is why I have lived with that many people…cray cray.

15 Morgan October 22, 2009 at 1:38 pm

TJ’s PB pretzels are amazing.
I am so lucky that my freshman year roommate is still one of my best friends to this day. We lived in a double, then lived in suites with other people the rest of college. We almost lived together after college too! She was one of my bridesmaids!
Since college I had a crazy roommate who kept drugs and sold her Adderol prescription to our law school classmates. After that I moved in with my hubby and his roommate, and we all had a blast. From there it’s been just the 2 of us and our puppy.
After that awful roommate I said the only other girls I will ever live with will be my daughters!

16 meyergirl October 22, 2009 at 1:46 pm

I only had a rommate(s) 3 of 5 (straight through to my Masters) years of college and I always hated it. Never again. Except for my husband of course. 🙂

17 themisadventuresofk October 22, 2009 at 1:48 pm

I shared a room with my randomly assigned freshman year roommate for all 4 years of college! Only recently did her husband beat me out as her longest roommate.

18 Leah October 22, 2009 at 1:49 pm

My freshman year I had a random roommate in the door. Not a good situation.

Sophomore year, my friend Samantha, that I had actually met at freshman orientation, and I got an apartment off campus.

Junior year, she did a semester abroad so our mutual friend Arielle moved in. upon Samantha’s return, she and her boyfriend got an apartment in the same building so we were really close!

Our final semester of senior year, Arielle graduated and moved in December, so Samantha moved back in with me.

When I graduated, I left, and Sam stayed in that apartment with another roommate!

I think we all loved that apartment! It was great. The building only had 6 units and we were like one big happy family! 😀

19 Stephanie October 22, 2009 at 1:58 pm

my college roomies from my sophomore year through senior year are still 3 of my BEST girlfriends in the world. we were so tight knit and just really hit it off!

20 Jess October 22, 2009 at 2:03 pm

I loooove your nose ring!! Have you taken it out because of work? It really looks cute on you.

21 Katy T October 22, 2009 at 2:05 pm

Just voted again 🙂 You’re just a couple spots from being in the top 10!

22 Matt October 22, 2009 at 2:14 pm

I had a few roommates freshman year and HATED THEM. We didn’t get along one bit and the year was pretty much hell in our dorm. I moved into my own apartment as a sophmore and haven’t looked back!

23 MelissaNibbles October 22, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Cute pics. Have a great time!

I had roommates in college, then after graduation, I lived by myself for seven years. I just recently moved in with my boyfriend. It’s been interesting learning to live with someone else again, but it’s fun. Enjoy your alone time!

24 Julie @savvyeats October 22, 2009 at 2:21 pm

I’ve been wanting to try adding pineapple in my enchiladas for awhile. After reading this, I’m pretty sure I will do so soon 🙂

25 DiningAndDishing October 22, 2009 at 2:28 pm

awww, i love my college roommates! i lived with the same 4 girls all four years in college and they were the best friends i could ask for :O). this post makes me miss them like crazy!!

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

26 megan October 22, 2009 at 2:31 pm

I got randomly assigned my roommate freshman year in college. We lived together all four years, and she was maid of honor in my wedding! And now I miss her 🙁

27 Bec October 22, 2009 at 2:46 pm

have fun with your old roomie this weekend! My roomate for my junior and senior year was the best, luckily her sister lives in the same town where I am doing grad school so we still see each other on a regular basis!

28 joelygolightly October 22, 2009 at 2:46 pm

i hear ya, living with other people can prove.. challenging sometimes. It’s def a fine line with choosing who to live with, and I know I’m excited to get my own place soon!

29 heypgh October 22, 2009 at 2:48 pm

4 years, 4 roomates mixed in there…2 I dont talk to, 1 I somewhat keep in touch with, 1 lives around the corner from me and I was in her wedding….I would guess my situation is about average

30 Sarah (Finding My Balance) October 22, 2009 at 3:16 pm

Mmm, those enchiladas looks so good. I will definitely be trying that recipe in the future!

Have a great time with Erin!
I lived with a total of 10 people over 4 years. 6 were good friends of mine, 2 close acquaintances, and 2 strangers….

31 Ellen October 22, 2009 at 3:26 pm

I’ve never tried those pretzels–definitely putting them on the grocery list! (But how do you keep from eating the whole bag in one sitting?)

32 Tracy October 22, 2009 at 3:30 pm

I had the same roommate for all four years…although, one of the years we had 4 other roommates, which was so not fun. She is my bestest friend in the whole world and we have known eachother since we were 5 years old. Eventhough we live in different states now, we still keep in touch every week or every other week.

33 Jenna October 22, 2009 at 3:33 pm

glad you are spending time with your friend from college tonight! have fun 🙂
jenna

34 Ali October 22, 2009 at 3:38 pm

I hope you guys have fun! I had two different roommates in college. One is still one of my closest friends and will serve as a bridesmaid in my wedding!

35 runnerskitchen October 22, 2009 at 3:57 pm

My freshman year roommate was c-r-a-z-y, but after that I lived with the same bunch of girls and we are still close today (2 + years after college graduation). I think we’re going to have a mini reunion over the holidays! I feel very, very luck to have met my roomies 🙂

36 Allison October 22, 2009 at 4:07 pm

I had the most amazing roommate in college, and her name was Erin, too! We moved in with each other second semester of freshman year, joined the same sorority, and then lived in the sorority house together until we were seniors. She lives in California now, so it’s hard to talk with the time zone divide, but she was the maid of honor in my wedding this summer and we are still very close. My other college roommate lives in Washington DC and we are still close, too. College will do that to you. :o)

37 Amy October 22, 2009 at 4:22 pm

I’m surprised no one has ever mentioned that Fresh Market has these exact same pb pretzels in their bins area. The store on Sand Lake has them, so you can get them anytime and not have to rely on finding a Trader Joe’s. Enjoy!

38 Anne Marie@ New Weigh of Life October 22, 2009 at 4:24 pm

I commuted to college, so I can’t answer this question. I can’t believe how long your hair is in that picture!

39 Tammy Eros October 22, 2009 at 4:49 pm

I never lived at college, so didn’t have to do the “roomate thing” then and when I moved out of my parent’s house, I immediately moved into a place by myself. I have done some short internships and interludes of schooling and the roomie thing has been both good and bad. At one point, I was living in a 2 bedroom apartment with 7 other girls! Needless to say, sharing more than the fridge got to be a problem! I stay in touch with some of my roomates, some with sporadic contact and some are still good friends.

40 lindsayruns October 22, 2009 at 5:46 pm

Freshman year I lived with an awesome bunch of “suities”! The eight of us really bonded that year, it was awsome. New bunch sophomore year, and we were close, but not as much as the year previous. Junior year I got an apartment with my 3 best friends, one of which was a suitie. We had a blast, and I agree, 4 people and 1 fridge is hard…but a baker/food snob (me), an athletic foodie, a uber picky “only if it has ranch dressing” eater, and a girl with tons of food and appliances to recreate food from home in Japan…was crazy! Senior year, I paid the rent at that apartment but I mostly lived with my future husband…ahh peace and quiet! 🙂 I miss all my roomies so much now!! Though I wouldn’t trade in Hubby!

41 samantha October 22, 2009 at 6:05 pm

wow you two look like sisters!

42 Erin October 22, 2009 at 6:10 pm

I’m still best friends with my random roommate from freshmen year and most of my best friends lived on my same floor freshmen year. Funny how it works out that way. 😀

43 peaceloverunning October 22, 2009 at 7:45 pm

mmm i love those pretzels!! the chocolate covered ones are even better

my roommate in college was my boyfriend. lol. and were still rommies :]

44 Amy C. October 22, 2009 at 7:47 pm

I had roommates my first two years. I got a random roommate my freshman year. The second year we wanted to live with our upperclassmen friends so the two of us and our two friends who lived next door our got a quad for our sophomore year. Four people + one room = so fun! I was an RA the last two years so I had my own room. I still see my roommates a lot. They are three of my best friends. 🙂

45 Susan October 22, 2009 at 7:53 pm

I started college living in an apartment with my highschool sweetheart – which went horribly awry. Then I moved in with a crazy coworker, which also went horribly awry. THEN I moved in with my best childhood friend and struck gold. She’s like a sister to me and we were our family away from home. So many fun nights were spent procrastinating from school work and watching the Food Network 🙂

46 Melissa S. October 22, 2009 at 8:39 pm

oh tj’s pretzel nuggets…i can’t wait to get home and demolish a bag! mwahahaha!

47 risrocksout October 22, 2009 at 9:34 pm

LOVE the pb pretzels – the chocolate covered ones are downright addictive!
Still in college, currently in a 22 person global living&learning community (basically the university gives us tons of money to promote international understanding) so my suite mates are from France, India via New York and the Congo! But i love my freshie roomie from last year (even though she kept the room @ like 90!!) and we have weekly lunch dates which is great … My boarding school roomies are some of my closest friends (My first semester of freshman year roomie and i didn’t get along at all, but then ended up later becoming close friends and spent a month living together in italy – crazy how much better a relationship can be when you’re not 14 and homesick) I had a double single as a prefect senior year but always had sleepovers b/c i got lonely haha – and my sisters and i are like the 3 musketeers at home so I cannot imagine living alone

48 Christy October 22, 2009 at 9:49 pm

WOOOO go FSU 😉 gotta love the noles!

49 chasingthenow October 22, 2009 at 10:44 pm

I had my fair share of college roommates, too. Some of the best ones were ones I didn’t know before moving in together. 🙂

50 Brittany October 22, 2009 at 10:56 pm

Agreed, Tj’s peanut butter filled pretzels are addicting. I try not to buy them so often for that reason!

I had lots of different living situations throughout college, but from sophomore to senior year I lived with the same 2 ladies and we were all best friends. I still considering them my best friends and we see each other fairly often. There are a few other roommates that I no longer keep in touch with.

I like living with Isaac now, but I do miss being able to borrow clothes from my room mates, Isaac’s aren’t nearly as trendy.

I voted for you!- Can you vote more than once?

51 Nicole October 22, 2009 at 11:07 pm

I have had some REALLY weird situations with roommates. My first dorm roommate turned into my best friend. She was awesome. I ended up moving out of our dorm and into an off campus apartment with a random group of girls which was… not ideal. I’ll leave it at that.

Then I moved into an apartment with this guy who turned out to be my boyfriend of the time’s exgirlfriend’s brother!! I liked living with him, it was just a strange situation.

Gosh, now I am moving by myself and I am so thankful!

52 MarathonVal October 22, 2009 at 11:11 pm

Oh goodness, I could tell horror stories about roommates too!!!

53 jennylikestorun October 22, 2009 at 11:53 pm

Haha sounds like college was um… interesting? 🙂

That’s awesome to hear you two became such close mates. I can’t wait for university! :D:D:D Good times ahead!

54 luckytastebuds October 23, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Yay! How fantastic that you’re old roomie is visiting! It’s exciting to re-live college again. I definitely had roomies and best friends in college. Luckily, we all stay in touch because most of us are still living in Chicago! 🙂

Meghann you always always always have the tastiest looking meals. I wish I had the creativity you put in to creating ’em.

55 fromatopink October 23, 2009 at 1:55 pm

Oh do I ever have roommate stories. Too long to post here but I definitely know where you’re coming from – living on your own is an ideal situation… at least in my opinion 🙂

56 Lizzy October 23, 2009 at 5:17 pm

i yet to try these wonderful pretzel filled pretzels! i’ll probably become addicted to them too! 😉