Halloween Decorations

by Meghann on October 20, 2009

As the end of October quickly approaches, I’ve noticed the houses in the neighborhoods I run in are steadily getting into the Halloween spirit. Pumpkins, orange and black lights, and other ghostly decorations are popping up everywhere.

These decorations may appear very innocent in the day time, but I am sad to admit that running by them in the early morning blanket of dark had me on edge this morning. I found myself frightened by a few skeletons and ghosts that casted shadows. In the corner of my eye the shadows looked like people coming out of the dark ready to get me. Scary!

I guess my neighbors would be happy to know that their decorations are serving there purpose and scaring a 24 year old runner in the early morning darkness. I hope they have the same success with little kids on Halloween night!

The thought of fear in the back of my mind not only kept me on edge, but had me run faster too!

I killed my 7 mile tempo run this morning, finishing at a 9:11 pace! I think the cooler weather helped too. I’m so sad it has to leave tomorrow. *sniff *sniff

After the run I dove into a big bowl of cereal for breakfast

IMG_4020

• 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean
  • 1/2 cup Missy’s Mix #1
  • 1/4 cup TJ’s Pumpkin Granola
  • Plain Oikos
  • Pineapple
  • Kiwi

IMG_4023

The tropical mix warmed my Tuesday morning right up!

We have a winner!!

The winner of the Waffle Iron provided by CSNStores.com is….

Jess, on October 19th, 2009 at 9:54 am

\What a great giveaway, waffles always remind me of Saturday morning breakfasts with my mom :)

The three things (other than the waffle iron) I’d like from the website are:
Trevi Blue Comforter Series – been looking for a comforter set for awhile
Titan Luggage – Manhattan 4-Wheel 19? International Carry-On in Carbon – because I travel for work all the time!
Emerilware – Pro-Clad 10-Piece Cookware Set – because my current set needs to be replaced

Congrats Jess! Send me an e-mail at graduatemeghann@gmail.com with all your information and I will make sure that waffle iron makes its way to you soon!!

1 megzzwinsatlife October 20, 2009 at 8:45 am

Congrats Jess.. Although I am very jealous hehe.. I love Halloween and esp love decorating for it.. I decorated my mom’s house with mums, corn stalks and pumpkins.. we don’t do the scary theme we go more with the country theme but I still love it!! Great job on you 9:11 pace!

2 Jessica October 20, 2009 at 8:45 am

OMGosh some of the decorations scare me, too! Like the people that have bodies hanging from their porches…wtf? At dawn and dusk, they look real!

3 Erica October 20, 2009 at 8:55 am

haha- our neighbor has all of these like pirates and other creatues on their deck and they often scare me in the morning (even though I know they’re there!). Yummy bfast- I need to get some kiwis (I eat the hair too ;)). Great job on the run & enjoy your day

4 Diana October 20, 2009 at 8:56 am

Sometimes I wish we celebrated Halloween here in Portugal. 🙂 It just looks fun.
Nice breakfast.

5 Simone @ P:T October 20, 2009 at 8:56 am

I still can’t believe that it is almost Halloween. I feel like it was just Independence Day…craziness!

6 Madelin October 20, 2009 at 8:58 am

Yeah me too Diana, Aussie’s just don’t get into it at all!

7 Christy October 20, 2009 at 9:10 am

Hahaha, I just had pretty much the same breakfast… GoLean cereal w/ a sliced kiwi!! yummy!

8 biz319 October 20, 2009 at 9:36 am

Congrats to Jess – lucky girl!

Glad you had a great run this morning! 😀

9 Leianna October 20, 2009 at 9:55 am

I love pineapple and yogurt in the morning, such a great combo!

10 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) October 20, 2009 at 10:05 am

Haha, that is too funny about the Halloween decorations! It’s hard to believe it’s that time of year already, what have I been doing all year? 😉

11 Runeatrepeat October 20, 2009 at 10:05 am

Halloween decorations scare me after dusk and before sunrise every time!

12 Jessie (Vegan-minded) October 20, 2009 at 10:14 am

What a refreshing, tropical bowl of cereal!

I know what you mean about scary Halloween decorations. My neighbors have these hanging skeletons with long capes that float in the air when the wind blows. Very creepy at night!

13 Amanda October 20, 2009 at 10:14 am

HAHA the same thing happened to me last night when I was running in a nearby neighborhood!! One of the houses has this creepy scarecrow leaning up against a tree in their front yard and I thought it was a man … I totally booked it!!

14 Evan Thomas October 20, 2009 at 10:17 am

I’ve been creeped out by chipmunks and shadows before. Anything is freaky in the dark

15 Tina October 20, 2009 at 10:47 am

haha, I love that the skeletons scared you! I want to put up Halloween decorations in my dorm but one of my roommates doesn’t celebrate Halloween…I wonder if she’d mind a few pumpkins?!

16 Meg C. October 20, 2009 at 10:54 am

I read a story in the new york times about a guy who committed suicide in LA by shooting himself on his porch. The body was in full view of the street and nobody reported it to the cops because they thought it was a halloween decoration.
now THAT’S spooky!

a house in my neighborhood already has christmas decoration up.. yikes

17 Kristen October 20, 2009 at 11:05 am

My husband and I just bought a “Fairytale Pumpkin” at Trader Joe’s this weekend. I think we’ll carve it tonight to get in on the Halloween festivities.

Nice job on your run! I’ve been feeling unmotivated in the running department lately. Thanks for the inspiration. 🙂

18 Stacey October 20, 2009 at 11:05 am

Hehe 🙂 In my old neighborhood, I would go out to walk my dog at like 6:15 AM, and there would be bats flying and swooping around the streetlights and I would keep my eyes on the sky instead of where I was going. I hate bats!! I think it stems from a time when a bat flew into my bedroom when I was little (came in thru the fireplace) UGH. Glad you were safe though 🙂

19 Kasondra October 20, 2009 at 11:09 am

That breakfast looks so good. i haven’t had kiwi in ages!!

20 Kristie Lynn October 20, 2009 at 11:20 am

Yummm… that bowl of fruit/cereal/yogurt looks very delicious!

21 Mama Pea October 20, 2009 at 11:21 am

You should run by my house. I guarantee my uncarved pumpkin with Cinderella, Belle and Sleeping Beauty stickers haphazardly stuck all over it wouldn’t scare you in the least.

22 Dawn (HealthySDLiving) October 20, 2009 at 11:57 am

Omg hahaha It actually took me a few minutes to be able to walk outside this morning when I left for work. It was still dark out and all I saw on the neighbors lawn was some crazy creepy things staring at me–took me a while to realize it was a Halloween decoration. Scared the crap out of me!

23 healthy ashley October 20, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Running in this weather is the BEST!

Seeing all the decorations on my runs is one of my favorite things about running outside 🙂

24 Jenna October 20, 2009 at 1:28 pm

haha that is a funny story! i love halloween and decorations 🙂
jenna

25 brandi October 20, 2009 at 1:43 pm

i love all the decorations, but they scare me sometimes, too! Some of them are just creepy.

26 megs October 22, 2009 at 11:35 am

Jess, let us know if for some reason you decide that you don’t want your new waffle iron! 😉

27 Allan November 10, 2009 at 3:50 pm