The Story of My Hunger

by Meghann on October 19, 2009

I could not get enough to eat today.

There is something about the day after a long run that leaves me starving all day! I’m not sure if my meals and snacks were too light, but I could just not get full.

Despite my very filling waffle breakfast, my stomach started grumbling around 9:30. I broke into my cantaloupe a little on the early side.

30 minutes later I was hungry again. Cantaloupe is not very filling.

I held off until just before noon then bounded out the door for lunch.

I have been craving sushi for the last couple of weeks, but have been unable to find a good sushi place around my apartment. Yesterday at Publix I caved and bought a combo sushi pack from the sushi counter.

Publix sushi is actually really good. I especially like the fact they offer brown rice sushi.

With my sushi I had left over yuca

And left over asparagus.

When I finished eating I wasn’t full at all, but knew I had ate enough. I went to work and figured my stomach would catch up with my head. That never happened.

I barely survived by 1:30 meeting before breaking into my afternoon snack.

Blueberry Oikos + Glo-Nola.

Again very yummy, but I still wasn’t satisfied. :(

I left work starving and made myself an early bird special as soon as I got home.

I still had about a cup of pumpkin puree left over from our pumpkin fiesta on Saturday and had been casually googling how I could utilize the last bit in my dinner tonight. After g-chatting with Anne I came up with a winner…

Pumpkin Falafels

This recipe is based off Anne’s brilliant Pancake Mix Falafels that won her the BSI last week. I just made a few tweaks, you can find the original recipe here.

• 1/2 C whole grain pancake mix
  • 1 C garbanzo beans
  • 1 C pumpkin puree
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tbsp pumpkin spice
  • 1 tsp ground flaxseed
  • 1/2 tsp dried coriander
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • juice from 1 lemon

First, preheat oven to 400. Then toss all the ingredients into a food processor and whirl it around until it’s pretty much evenly mixed.

Form the mixture into flattened balls (it should make about 5 or 6) and place on a cooking sheet. Pop in the oven for about 15 minutes.

Mine expanded in the oven, if I were to make this again I would make 8 or 9 smaller smalls instead of the 6 larger ones.

I stuffed two of the Pumpkin Falafels in a Whole Wheat Pita with Tomato, Spinach, Cucumber and Plain Greek Yogurt.

Wow!! These pumpkin falafels came out great! Its a a great fall twist on a classic recipe.

On the side of my falafel pita I had the other 1/2 of my Apple from this morning.

And a side spinach salad topped with cucumber, olives and a greek yogurt dressing.

Dinner was finished before 6:30 and dessert was ate not to long after that. I just can’t seem to gent enough to eat.

Pumpkin Surprise Cookie topped with Pumpkin Ice Cream *swoon*

Now, the kitchen is officially closed. The dishes are done, the lights are out and a hot cup of tea is waiting for me. I am more then ready to call it a night.

Good Night.

1 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) October 19, 2009 at 9:01 pm

Yum, I am so going to have to make those pumpkin falafels! Thanks for posting her recipe :)

2 Melissa S. October 19, 2009 at 9:01 pm

i feel you; i could not get enough food today either…and my hunger is falling over from my long run on saturday…really?

enjoy your relaxing night!

3 Evan Thomas October 19, 2009 at 9:01 pm

For some reason, I’m the exact opposite. i ran a half today and I could not be more apathetic towards food, but days I run 6-7 miles I’m ravenous. I hope it all evens out in the long run.
I’m usually a food snob when it comes to eating out, but I have nothing bad to say about the brown rice sushi at my whole foods. i don’t know how or why but it is better than most restaurants I’ve had

4 chasingthenow October 19, 2009 at 9:02 pm

Long runs have a tendency to unleash my inner hunger monster the next day on a crazy level. I feel like I can’t be satisfied. I’ve heard tons of runners make this same comment. No worries. You’re normal!

5 Britt October 19, 2009 at 9:08 pm

Yum lots of yummy pumpkin! Its one of the things I actually do like about fall……

Long runs definitely make me hungry, its usually later that day and not so much the day after…… usually. 😉

6 Brittany October 19, 2009 at 9:12 pm

I totally have days were I’m starving all day and can’t eat enough.

Pumpkin Falafel sounds awesome!!

7 Jessica @ How Sweet October 19, 2009 at 9:16 pm

Hmmm I can rarely get enough to eat..and I don’t run!

8 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) October 19, 2009 at 9:20 pm

Publix sushi is SO amazing!!! I discovered that this summer–the avocado veggie summer rolls are out of this world!

9 megzzwinsatlife October 19, 2009 at 9:23 pm

That sushi looks really good..

10 Lizzy October 19, 2009 at 9:27 pm

i sometimes feel the opposite. yesterday after my half marathon i was starving, and today my hunger just wasnt there. but then other times its reversed! i hate when that happens

11 Lauren October 19, 2009 at 9:29 pm

Funny, I find when I change my ‘usual’ weekday breakfast I become so much more hungry earlier too. I love eating good pancakes and ft, but I try to save them for the weekend because I know that my oats and ceral will NEVER let me down during a long work morning.

THe Pumpkin Falafles look awesome! :)

12 Kelly October 19, 2009 at 9:32 pm

If you are hungry eat more food woman! Your body obviously is craving it. If I didn’t eat every couple hours I would probably double over from hunger.

13 Becky October 19, 2009 at 9:33 pm

I totally hear you on the hunger thing!!! I find that it’s hard to keep my energy levels stable after long runs because sometimes I have trouble telling whether I’m actually hungry until I’m STARVING. I’ve never been one to keep a food journal or count calories or anything, but at a glance it looks like your meals today were all pretty light. Maybe adding in some additional fats or really dense carbs on days after long runs would help to balance out your hunger a little! On a side note, no matter how many pancakes or waffles I eat in the morning, I am always super hungry really shortly afterwards!! Hope that tomorrow is more “satisfying”!

14 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) October 19, 2009 at 9:36 pm

I love all the pumpkin in this post!!!

15 Island Girl Eats October 19, 2009 at 9:37 pm

I was like that yesterday after my run. I could not get enough food.

Your body was obviously topping up on its stored fat supply today. You probably depleted quite a bit yesterday.

16 Molly @vegandorm October 19, 2009 at 9:40 pm

That always happens to me- I am NEVER hungry the day of my long run, but I always make up for it the next day. I find that healthy fats usually quench the hunger (or maybe I just take any excuse to eat peanut butter haha)

17 Nicci@NiftyEats October 19, 2009 at 9:46 pm

Good to know you fueled your body with yummy foods after your long run.

18 Anne P October 19, 2009 at 9:52 pm

Woohoo I’m glad they came out well!!! Totally trying that next time I make them. Clearly you can never have enough pumpkin 😉 You should try the yogurt sauce next time – SO good!!!

Oh and I’m the same way – the day of a long run, I am so not hungry, but the next day… watch out!!!

Nighty night! :)

19 Susan October 19, 2009 at 9:53 pm

The same things always happens to me too! It’s as if my hunger disappears on hard workout days, then kicks into overdrive the following day (or on rest days). I just go with it, I’m sure my body needs the recovery fuel… or… something 😛

20 inmytummy October 19, 2009 at 10:04 pm

I agree that Publix makes good sushi. Although, I tried their seaweed salad once and it was disgusting.

21 Christy October 19, 2009 at 10:06 pm

I have days where I can’t seem to get enough food, too…funny!! It’s so odd… And I want to try that pumpkin ice cream but I don’t think my grocery store carries it 😐

22 Melissa October 19, 2009 at 10:06 pm

I am the same way the day after a long run too!

23 Erin October 19, 2009 at 10:07 pm

I find those days balance out — one day, absolutely ravenous, the next day, I just want light foods. It all works out in the end. :)

24 Jenna October 19, 2009 at 10:08 pm

dinner looks great!! i am glad you listened to your body and gave it the fuel it needs to replenish your body from yesterdays run!

25 runnerskitchen October 19, 2009 at 10:18 pm

omg, i totally understand the ravenous hunger days. i was in the elevator with a co-worker last week and i remarked about how hungry it was (it was about 11:30am). she said “oh yeah, i skipped breakfast, i’m hungry too”….meanwhile by that point i had already eaten a hearty 600 + calorie breakfast plus snack and i felt ready to gnaw my arm off. haha. i think i would pass out if i skipped breakfast. it’s definitely the running!

26 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) October 19, 2009 at 10:44 pm

I am often really hungry after a hard workout, but I find that my hunger cues are more easily recognized. I’m not eating because I think I need food, I’m eating because I am hungry and need fuel!

27 Allison (Eat Clean Live Green) October 19, 2009 at 10:47 pm

I think you may have combined my two favorite foods with pumpkin + falafel!! yum!

28 trustingmyintuition October 19, 2009 at 11:29 pm

EXACTLY how I felt all day!! It’s crazy!!

29 Mama Pea October 20, 2009 at 12:09 am

I wish I had an excuse for my being hungry all day, but I didn’t even do any cardio! I’m glad you kept fueling yourself all day.

30 peaceloverunning October 20, 2009 at 3:38 am

those pumpkin falafels look amazing! and i have been craving sushi forever!

31 Diana October 20, 2009 at 4:58 am

I looove sushi. :) And that falafel sounds interesting. I haven’t eaten falafel in so long, ugh.

32 Bridget October 20, 2009 at 6:25 am

I am totally making those falafel…and SOOON! I’ve been having a massive craving lately!!

Not sure if I can recall if there is brown rice sushi (don’t think so), but Fuji sushi on Lee Road in Winter Park was always pretty good to me.

I wish that I could mention brown rice sushi here without all of my co-workers looking at me like I have 4 heads. Brown rice = love. They seem to disagree!

33 Stacey October 20, 2009 at 6:30 am

I have days like that too, but my ‘non-stop hunger’ days are ALWAYS two days after the run, which I find a little weird. Oh well, I loveeeeee to snack so I don’t mind! :) Your cookies look yummy!!

34 Simone @ P:T October 20, 2009 at 8:37 am

That sounds like me this morning. It is only 8:35am and I have already been eating non-stop cuz i woke up famished this morning and just can’t seem to stop the hunger pangs. Oh well, just another excuse to eat I guess ;)…i feel like it’s guna be a light diner kind of day since after all this “day” eating I imagine i will finally be full, and perhaps overly full, later on.

35 Madelin October 20, 2009 at 8:37 am

Poor you for being so hungry! I hate that too, so annoying – plus you end up going through so much food in the house, it’s expensive! The sushi looks awesome :)

36 Linda October 20, 2009 at 11:11 am

There is a grammatical thing that I just need to share with you. The word “ate” is a past tense word so using it in the present tense isn’t correct. For example: “Dinner was finished by 6:30 and dessert was ate not too long after that.” The sentence should go as follows: Dinner was finished by 6:30 and dessert was eaten not too long after that. I saw this mistake twice in this post and I’ve noticed it in the past so I thougt I’d say somethng. I know this seems rude and I promise I’m not trying to be, just trying to help. On a happy note I love reading your blog. :)

37 Anne Marie@ New Weigh of Life October 20, 2009 at 11:34 am

Brown rice sushi has a special place in my heart-I love the stuff!

38 Tracey Pera October 20, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Hi There,
I love your blog,it is so real. I have one suggestion, since I am a ‘mom’ I do that!.

Eat more FAT: Coconut Oil, Avocados, Macadamia nuts, Olives, Cold Pressed Olive Oil, Wild fish, Barleans 3-6-9…
These will feed your cells and NOT make you fat, only your cells.

I am a nutritionist at heart, so have loved to see the results healthy foods give others.

My son is living proof you need to eat well and fats too.

Living well,

39 lalyaaylal October 21, 2009 at 9:18 am

love the sound of those falafel. as if i needed another reason to go out and get a pumpkin. why oh why is grocery day so far away?