Love Happens

by Meghann on October 18, 2009

Apparently ‘Love’ doesn’t actually ‘Happen.’ This movie reeked.

It was slow, unimaginative, and just not very good. I suggest you save your time and money and avoid this movie at both the theater and rental store. My Mom and I both agreed we should have seen Couples Retreat instead.

Oh well.

Before our early matinee my Mom and I were on a mission to find a decent place to have lunch on a Sunday afternoon in our small town. Apparently, going out for lunch on a Sunday isn’t very common around here.

We finally settled on the pizza place right next door to the movie theatre.

I spent way too many Friday nights at Valentino’s in both middle school and early high school.

My parents would drop my friends and I off an hour before our 7:00 movie, so that we could eat at Valentinos. Going to the movies and eating in an actual restaurant all by ourselves was a very big deal back then. We would all order a slice of cheese pizza at $1.10 a slice and then split a canolli before paying the $5.00 child rate to see the PG-13 movie of our choice. Oh yeah, we were cool.

Not much has changed about Valentinos since then. Well, except now the cheese slice is $1.75 instead of $1.10.

The price has gone up only 65 cents in 10 years? Not bad if you ask me. Much better then the $10 I paid for the movie over the $5 I paid back in the day.

I kept to tradition and ordered a slice before our movie today. Only instead of plain cheese I asked for Olives, Mushrooms and Onions.

I did forget that Valentinos pizza really isn’t that great, which probably explains why in so many years I have never had any desire to go back. The pizza was really greasy and the toppings seemed like they were added right before the slice was served to me and not in any part of the baking process. I’ve been spoiled by good pizza and this wasn’t it.

With my pizza I ordered the small Greek Salad.

I asked for the dressing on the side, but it didn’t make that much of a difference as all the vegetables on the salad tasted as if they had been marinating in a vinegar and oil base anyways. The salad was pretty tasty. I ate about 3/4 of the salad and left half the feta.

All during the movie i kept thinking about all the pumpkin goodies waiting for us back home. I was kicking myself for not bringing any to nibble on during the movie!

As soon as we made it back I dug into a Pumpkin Surprise Cookie.

I also had a quarter of a Pumpkin Mini Cake that just looked so pitiful on the plate by itself.

Its amazing how quickly our goodies have disappeared. When I left my parents there was only about a dozen cookies, 2 mini cakes and less then half the apple pie left! I guess good eats go fast.

My Mom sent the rest of the pumpkin puree home with me to do with as I pleased. I knew the pumpkin would make great soup, so I found this Pumpkin and Black Bean Soup recipe by Rachael Ray that seemed very easy and tasty to make.

I made some slight changes by dropping the broth and replacing the heavy cream with plain chobani.

I added the last of a block of tempeh to my serving and sprinkled some roasted pumpkin seeds on top.

On the side I had some oven roasted asparagus.

To quench my thirst I sipped on a Harvest Moon while cooking and eating.

Something about Sunday evenings and beer that just seems like a perfect match.

Dessert was a slice of apple pie that just barely survived the drive from my parent’s to my apartment.

Yum!

This was a very ‘sweet’ weekend, its a shame it must now come to an end. Another work week starts tomorrow. Luckily, it’s only a 4 day work week for me. πŸ˜‰

I hope everyone else had a great weekend and an even better week!

Good Night!

1 Evan Thomas October 18, 2009 at 9:04 pm

Wow, your dinner looks amazing, much better than your lunch it sounds like.
Thanks for the movie review; I hardly ever get out to see a movie these days but now I know if I ever do what not to see

2 Jessica October 18, 2009 at 9:09 pm

Pumpkin and black bean soup sounds delish!!

3 Annamarina October 18, 2009 at 9:10 pm

Yum! All of your pumpkin treats look so good! You’ve inspired me to do some “fall” baking this week. I really miss the seasons now that I live in California! I think I will make my favorite pumpkin chocolate chip muffins one day soon πŸ™‚

4 Joy October 18, 2009 at 9:13 pm

ah yes! that movie sucked. i was expecting a typical light hearted jennifer aniston movie but this was depressing and annoying.

5 angieinatlanta October 18, 2009 at 9:15 pm

Sorry to hear that the movie was a stinker!

I’ll say you had a “sweet” weekend; I’ve been drooling over all of the goodies over here!

6 Matt October 18, 2009 at 9:16 pm

Yum! I want that soup πŸ™‚

7 Molly @vegandorm October 18, 2009 at 9:18 pm

I need to get my hands on some pumpkin…stat!

8 megzzwinsatlife October 18, 2009 at 9:19 pm

That stinks that the movie wasn’t good.. I wanted to see it too! I Will wait till it comes out on DVD!! I love the pumpkin theme you have going on.. Your cooking yesterday inspired me to make pumpkin spice cookies and they turned out amazing.. They have no oil or butter just pumpkin and cake mix.. They are defiantly worth trying.. Check out my post today for the recipe.. http://www.megzzwins.com.. Have a great 4 day work week πŸ™‚

9 cookinfanatic October 18, 2009 at 9:27 pm

Oh I’m def feeling the sunday beer too – having a pumpkin brew as we speak! Oh, and have you ever tried asparagus sauteed with some garlic for a few, then top with a quick splash of balsamic & sprinkle of parm and cook another minute… I make this often and its soooo good if you like asparagus, really kicks it up πŸ™‚ Those pumpkin cookies look fab too!

10 Nicci@NiftyEats October 18, 2009 at 9:27 pm

Yea, that movie doesn’t look to good. I saw Zombieland instead last night, very funny.

11 cdbuckeye October 18, 2009 at 9:36 pm

yum that apple pie looks delicious!! it is funny sometimes when places aren’t as great as you remember them being, i think it is more the memories about the company you were with and the fun you had with them than the actual location πŸ™‚

12 Jenna October 18, 2009 at 9:59 pm

oh lucky! why do you have a four day weekend?
i totally agree with you on the love happens movie, all i really wanted was for it to be over!!
that is so funny because when i was young, thats exactly what me and my friends would do before going to see a movie and we thought we were so cool πŸ™‚
jenna

13 Chloe (Naturally Frugal) October 18, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Pumpkin soup sounds wonderful, I’ve been on a soup/stew kick lately and have eaten 3 kinds in the past 2 days. I love the fall.

14 Lyss October 18, 2009 at 10:18 pm

I saw Love Happens and didn’t mind it that much… I also think that my obsession with Jennifer Aniston probably plays into that, though πŸ™‚ I’m biased!

15 Kim (LEO the lion says GER) October 18, 2009 at 10:37 pm

Hey Meghann, I noticed you like pumpkin-y things so I thought I’d share with you my recipe for pumpkin muffins.

If you try them out, let me know how they go! Also, I keep looking for that pumpkin ice cream but I can’t find it anywhere. =(

16 chasingthenow October 18, 2009 at 10:52 pm

Too bad the movie sucked. The previews for couples retreat look SO GOOD. Can’t wait to see that when we hit the U.S. the next time!

17 Becky October 18, 2009 at 11:04 pm

Good to know about the movie….Couples Retreat looks hilarious. Was the pumpkin black bean soup good?? I’m a little scared to mix pumpkin and black beans but have seen a ton of recipes for it lately…..Have a great Sunday night πŸ™‚

18 Morgan @ Life After Bagels October 19, 2009 at 12:49 am

Yeah that pizza doesn’t look so good πŸ™

19 Mama Pea October 19, 2009 at 1:48 am

Gosh, we are old fogeys. I freaked tonight when the movie we went to cost $21. $8.50 for WF salad bar is just fine by me though…

20 Paige@ Running Around Normal October 19, 2009 at 8:53 am

I haven’t heard of that movie until you mentioned it. Sorry it was a not-so-good one. Sounds like the treats made up for it, though:D

21 Brandi October 19, 2009 at 9:19 am

ah, that stinks about the movie! i hate when that happens.

the pumpkin goodies look good, though. I have some pumpkin baking plans soon, too!

22 Tammy Eros October 19, 2009 at 10:51 am

That asparagus looks so yummy! I thought that movie “Love Happens” looked a bit silly ont he previews, I’m glad I didn’t waste my money! Jennifer Aniston has really been in some “bombs” lately! All those pumpkin goodies look so yummy!

23 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) October 19, 2009 at 10:59 am

Ah, sorry about the movie! But I’ve disagreed with you before so I might still check it out, ha ha. Glad you had a good time with your mom though, those dates are always a good time!

24 Diana October 19, 2009 at 12:04 pm

That pizza does look greasy. I love olives on my pizza! πŸ™‚

I’ve heard good things about Couples Retreat, you should’ve definitely watched that one. Oh well, living and learning right?

Hope you’re having a great monday!

25 peanutbutterfingers October 19, 2009 at 12:29 pm

that looks unbelievable (the pumpkin soup)… i love pumpkin & typically enjoy it in a sweet way so this looks like an awesome alternative. love it!