My Day in the Kitchen

by Meghann on October 17, 2009

It has been a crazy baking day!

(I know you’re digging the ‘Meghann Apron’ circa 1993)

My Mom had this desire to bake today, so thats how we spent our day – baking up a storm! Now we just need to figure out what to do with all our freshly baked goodies. Any volunteers to help take it off our hands? πŸ˜‰

First up on our to bake list: Pumpkin Spice Mini Cakes

Recipe Courtesy of Southern Living

Pumpkin courtesy of this little guy

We couldn’t find canned pumpkin at our Publix so we made our own!

IMG_3780.JPG IMG_3779.JPG

IMG_3783.JPG IMG_3788.JPG

This was my first time using an actual pumpkin. It was a pretty cool process.

After cutting, steaming, cleaning and processing we finally had pumpkin ready for baking!

IMG_3815.JPG IMG_3816.JPG

The only downside to using the fresh pumpkin puree was out watery it becomes, therefore my pumpkin mini cakes don’t look quite as dark as they should.

Oh well. The bite I tried still tasted great.

Especially after I added the homemade Carmel Glaze.

Holy Yum! The glaze made these taste like pumpkin donuts. Yum!

Don’t worry we didn’t let the seeds from the pumpkin go to waste.

I baked them at 350 for 20 minutes with a little seasoning salt.

I managed to snack on a few while we continued to bake.

Next up was a batch of Pumpkin Surprise Cookies using this recipe I found online.

IMG_3839.JPG IMG_3837.JPG

Wow! These came out great!

With the cookies I compensated for the watery pumpkin and used more then the recipe called for. Worked like a charm.

Sampling the fruits of my labor.

We ended our baking day with an Apple Pie.

This was more my Mom then me. She makes the best apple pie!

IMG_3851.JPG IMG_3853.JPG

Before the baking extravaganza I did fill my belly with a great lunch in hopes that I wouldn’t nibble too bad during all the baking. Of course it didn’t work. I still had my fair share of finger lickings and samplings along the way.

Lunch consisted of left over Kashi Pizza from Thursday night

And the other half of my Butternut Squash Soup from lunch on Thursday.

I topped the soup with a handful of these dried veggies that had been in my cabinet for far too long.

The dried veggies were interesting. I’m not sure I thought they went well with the soup though, maybe I’ll try the rest as a salad topper.

After spending all day baking in the kitchen, my Mom and I had no desire to cook anything for dinner. Instead we headed to a local favorite of mine, Kloiber’s, for a quick, light meal.

For some odd reason I was really craving a nice juicy burger, but when I saw the chili on the specials board I quickly changed my mind and had a cup.

I asked for extra onion. I promise there was actual chili underneath all the onion.

With the chili my Mom and I split the Chicken Avocado Salad with dressing on the side and no croutons.

Don’t ask me why the tomatoes are on the side.

My portion.

I’v had this salad here before and I swear it came with more vegetables last time. This version of the salad was a bit plain for my taste.

Despite nibbling on sweets all day, I couldn’t resist sampling the Apple Pie when we returned home.

I had a small slice of the apple pie, as well as a sliver of a homemade pumpkin pie my Mom had made earlier in the week.

And at that point I was officially stuffed.

Hopefully all those sugars and carbs are enough to push me through my 14 mile run in the morning. I’m running all 14 miles all alone and I’m a bit nervous. Luckily, its one of my favorite routes to run around my parent’s house and I know I can conquer it. WIsh me luck!

1 Alyssa October 17, 2009 at 10:11 pm

Um yeah, can you send some of those pumpkin cupcakes and cookies to MN pronto please? They look delicious! πŸ™‚

2 BethT @ Pretty By The Bay October 17, 2009 at 10:14 pm

I would kill for some apple pie!

3 jocelyneatsfresh October 17, 2009 at 10:17 pm

mmmm yes I would LOVE those pumpkin cupcakes with the caramel glaze..so yummy!

4 allijag October 17, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Awww what a fun day!! πŸ™‚ All the treats look fabulous! Only thing that would have made this post even better? A picture of Maddie and Scooby πŸ™‚

5 traveleatlove October 17, 2009 at 10:26 pm

Ohhhh fall amazingness! Everything looks so good, but those mini pumpkin cakes with caramel glaze. . . drool!

6 Jessica October 17, 2009 at 10:28 pm

Everything looks so delicious!

7 Mish October 17, 2009 at 10:43 pm

I love baking days. I miss the fall/winter baking binges that would occur weekendly due to the colder weather. Even though I live in Oz, I can’t shake the draw to the kitchen during this time–however it’s getting too hot here to bake. Have fun on your run today.

8 mags October 17, 2009 at 11:22 pm

“Hopefully all those sugars and carbs”.

You had a small sliver of apple pie and small sliver of pumpkin pie. Why can’t that just be your dessert! Why does it have to be something you couldn’t resist (implying that you should resist.) Why, especially after having a SALAD at dinner, can’t you just enjoy dessert without the regret?

I imagine your reply will be that you didn’t have regret, but your tone signifies it. I love your blog, but sometimes do not appreciate or support your attitude toward food.

9 Meghann October 18, 2009 at 6:13 am

What ever. When I referred to all those sugar and carbs I wasn’t referring to just the pie, I was referring to all the nibbles I had baking all day. And if you really did read my blog you would see I eat dessert every night with no shame.

10 Christy October 17, 2009 at 11:31 pm

Man you two baked up a storm!!! Making me hungry πŸ˜‰ Good luck on your run!

11 anna October 17, 2009 at 11:42 pm

Can you send me the pumpkin muffins to Mexico? Seriously it looks delicious and pumpkin is not that common in Mexico (no canned pumpkin or pumpkin pie) so sad
I love your blog btw πŸ™‚

12 Emily Eats and Exercises October 17, 2009 at 11:51 pm

Those are some amazing baking projects!
I’d love your mom’s apple pie recipe. I always make pie for thanksgiving, but my filling is always too runny. The pie in the picture looks like it holds its shape better than mine.

13 chasingthenow October 18, 2009 at 12:03 am

Sounds like a perfect day to me. Baking. Time with your Momma. And yummy out to eat dinner. πŸ™‚

14 Shinobu October 18, 2009 at 12:22 am

Serious food envy! If you could actually send me some of that I’d be the happiest girl ever! I love pumpkin but somehow no one else I know does, so we never have any pumpkin baked goods for the holidays… if we did I’d have to eat it all myself.

Those dried veggies look like something I would love. They look like the veggies you find in instant ramen cups… I always loved to pick out the corn and eat them dry. πŸ™‚ How great that you can get them without the ramen!

15 J @ Whole Body Love October 18, 2009 at 12:27 am

I make my own pumpkin puree after Halloween every year. I bake it though. Steaming didn’t cross my mind for some reason. I roast the seeds too! It’s a fun process. If you let the pumpkin rest on paper towels after steaming or baking, it is much less runny after you puree it. I know it sounds messy and it is. But, it makes for more uniform baked goods! Your treats look delish though!

16 jeannie October 18, 2009 at 12:49 am

Oh my goodness — I have a bit of a love affair with pumpkin so clearly I’m ready to come ransack your kitchen!!!

As for not being able to find canned pumpkin, did you know that there’s a shortage of canned pumpkin in some parts of the US this year? There is in NC (it’s TRAGIC!!!) and the radio station I work for actually did a piece on it. And I was lucky enough to get to do a web extra on making your own pumpkin! (http://wfae.org/wfae/1_87_316.cfm?action=display&id=5514) Anyway, if you’re interested in more about the pumpkin shortage check it out here: http://wfae.org/wfae/1_87_316.cfm?action=display&id=5513

17 Alyson October 18, 2009 at 1:09 am

My goodness you were busy and it all looks fantastic! Glad you had such a lovely day πŸ™‚

18 broccolihut October 18, 2009 at 1:18 am

Look at all that gorgeous beta carotene!!

19 Mama Pea October 18, 2009 at 1:22 am

I was drooling all over your Tweets today. Gosh, that sounds DIRTY.

20 peony October 18, 2009 at 2:05 am

ahh your so lucky! i swear like noone in england eats pumpkin

21 Julie @savvyeats October 18, 2009 at 2:08 am

Seriously, if you are willing to ship to Wisconsin, I’ll take some of those pumpkin goodies off of your hands!!!

22 jennylikestorun October 18, 2009 at 3:03 am

YUMMMMMM! I’m so trying that pumpkin recipe!! Looks sooo good πŸ™‚

23 Diana October 18, 2009 at 4:13 am

Wow, those baked goods look amaaaaaazing. Yum.
Love that apron πŸ˜€

Good luck on your race Meghann.

24 Tay October 18, 2009 at 4:13 am

Ahhh what a great baking time!! My fave type – pumpkiny!

25 Laura October 18, 2009 at 4:28 am

It’s always so strange to me when I see people from overseas making baked goods and dessert with pumpkin! Here (NZ), pumpkin is a vegetable that you roast and eat for dinner, or you make it into soup. I’ve never actually seen, let alone eaten, a pumpkin pie, cake or muffin in my life. I know it *shouldn’t* seem strange – I like carrot cake, after all, but I just can’t see it as a sweet thing. Even pumpkin oats seem really bizarre to me.

26 Meghann October 18, 2009 at 6:10 am

My cousin’s wife is from South Africa and she always says the same thing. We had to force her to try Pumpkin Pie at Thanksgiving one year, but after she did she loved it!

27 VeggieGirl October 18, 2009 at 7:24 am

THOSE TREATS!! Fabulous – especially the caramel one πŸ˜€

28 Matt October 18, 2009 at 8:12 am

You can send any amount of those goodies to me if you want. I will gladly take them off your hands!

29 Susan October 18, 2009 at 8:42 am

Yay for making your own pumpkin puree! For some reason, the canned stuff really sketches me out. Plus, this way you get the added bonus of seeds πŸ™‚

I gotta say though – I think that apple pie looks the best! Yum! Good luck on you run today, hopefully it’s not too lonely πŸ˜‰

30 Mica October 18, 2009 at 9:08 am

Wow, you and your mom were totally productive in the kitchen! I’m really impressed that you powered through multiple baked goods in a day. Awesome mother-daughter team!

31 Island Girl Eats October 18, 2009 at 9:21 am

You must be ‘baked’ out after your big day! I love pumpkin seeds. They are the best part of the pumpkin!!!!!

32 Jenna October 18, 2009 at 9:22 am

wow! sounds like a great fun day baking with your mom. i wanna try those pumpkin muffs with the glazeeeee. yummm.
good luck on your run tomorrow girl, you got it!
jenna

33 Melissa S. October 18, 2009 at 9:46 am

OMG dude…so jealous of the baking. i can’t wait to get home and do the same with my mom!!!

and i so miss you…so lonely out here. i’m coming back; i swear, i’m coming back!

g’luck on that run too! i’m sure you’ll rock it!

34 Nicci@NiftyEats October 18, 2009 at 9:50 am

Wow, what a day of baking dome yummy goodies. Looks like you had a lot of fun.

35 Molly October 18, 2009 at 10:31 am

Hey Meghann! I’ve been following your blog for a while and wanted to suggest a topic for one of your posts.
You mention that you have a chocolate stash, and I also notice that you keep delicious goodies like PB cups and almond butter around your apartment kitchen. I usually avoid having those items around because I have so much trouble stopping with one piece of chocolate, one tbsp of almond butter, etc. But I would love to incorporate foods like AB into my diet in moderation, without being so scared of keeping a jar around. And I’d love to be able to stash sweets for myself, because every girl needs a chocolate fix every now and then.
Do you have any advice about how to keep a few treats around without going overboard?
Thanks, and keep up the amazing work. You’re an inspiration to so many readers.

36 Stacey October 18, 2009 at 10:32 am

Ok, you have now influenced me to bake πŸ™‚ Haha. AND get my own apron lol.

37 Lindsay October 18, 2009 at 12:36 pm

Everything looks so good! A day of baking sounds lovely! I just might have to bake something today!

38 Abby October 18, 2009 at 5:36 pm

Nothing beats baking with the fam.. your pics are fabulous! I bet the house smelled sooo yummy πŸ™‚

39 jessica c. October 18, 2009 at 7:14 pm

oh my goodness those treats look so amazing!

funny question…. maybe you have covered this before, but do you have any tricks or secrets for getting your fingernails so long and strong? mine always are breaking πŸ™

40 Anne Marie@ New Weigh of Life October 19, 2009 at 2:57 pm