Morning Muffins

by Meghann on October 16, 2009

Is there anything better then fresh homemade muffins in the morning?

IMG_3672

I think not! πŸ™‚

After Sabrina posted her recipe for Apple Walnut Raisin Muffins earlier this week, it had been my mission to bake a batch for breakfast one morning. I took advantage of my rest day this morning and did just that.

IMG_3671

Her recipe for the muffins had relatively few ingredients and was very easy to follow at 6:00am. The whole process from start to finish took me less then 30 minutes and that included prepping, making the batter and baking time.

IMG_3681

I did make a couple of substitutions: instead of apples I used 2 pears that were already in my fridge and instead of walnuts I used crushed almonds so that my dear friend Caitlin – who is allergic to walnuts – would be able to eat a couple too.

So technically my muffins should be called Pear, Almond and Raisin Muffins. πŸ˜‰

While the muffins baked I did the 20 minute Detox #1 Yoga though yogadownload.com and while they cooled I got dressed and ready for the day.

For breakfast I enjoyed the fruits of my labor – a larger muffin and a smaller muffin with a bowl of fruit and yogurt.

IMG_3677

The muffins were both very moist, I think the addition of the pear is really key for that.

IMG_3687

As luck would have it I received a package last night from Danica that happened to contain the perfect companion to my fall themed muffins.

IMG_3684

Pumpkin Butter!

IMG_3691

Perfect. Absolutely perfect!

Race for the Taste Photos…

Some of you may have seen on Twitter last night that they finally posted the Race for the Taste official photos. (!!)  (race recap here)

I think out of all the race photos I have ever taken, I was most excited/ anxious to see these.

racetaste6

I like how in all the photos I have this huge ridiculous grin on my face. πŸ™‚

racetaste5racetaste3

Can you find us in the photo below?

racetaste1

There we are!

racetaste2

And finally my favorite by far….

racetaste4

I really want a hard copy of the photo above. It may be worth the $$$ to actually purchase it. Thoughts?

1 greensandjeans October 16, 2009 at 9:10 am

I DEFINITELY think that last picture is worth the money! So cute! Your muffins are making me wish I had a muffin tin!

2 Dori October 16, 2009 at 9:12 am

Buy it!

3 caitlin October 16, 2009 at 9:13 am

its definitely worth the $$$$$$

4 Diana October 16, 2009 at 9:19 am

Yep, I think you should buy it πŸ™‚
Those muffins look so good!

5 Jessica October 16, 2009 at 9:21 am

Those look great. Did you make them in the morning?? I’m so impressed! I love the pic of you guys holding hands.

I also heard about dog snuggies on the radio this morning…omg.

6 Emily @ My Chubby Confessions October 16, 2009 at 9:29 am

You should totally buy it! It was such an experience for both of you to run the race together, and it’s just cute!!

7 Jenna October 16, 2009 at 9:35 am

omg meghann those pics are so cute! you must buy some πŸ™‚
those muffins looks delish, i like how you substitute ingredients!
jenna

8 Erica October 16, 2009 at 9:38 am

Hey! Those muffins look fabulous! I like that you got them done start to finish in 30 minutes (and got in a workout in the middle). What a great start to a Friday. Get the picture πŸ™‚ Only live once right?

9 Erica October 16, 2009 at 9:38 am

oh! And PS- I’m giving away a yoga mat if you’re interested

10 Matt October 16, 2009 at 9:43 am

Yum those muffins look awesome!

11 haya October 16, 2009 at 9:54 am

you should definitely get it! even a 5X7, which are usually not ridiculously expensive.

so cute.

12 aneta October 16, 2009 at 9:58 am

wow great muffins!
they are making me hungry!!!
thinking of sneaking out of work to run to starbucks and pick up a muffin.
i know, not the same as home made….but good enough!

13 Michelle October 16, 2009 at 10:03 am

Awww that is so sweet. I would go for the framed picture! You seem so happy in all of them, that I think it’s worth it to remember πŸ™‚

14 Holly October 16, 2009 at 10:03 am

You should totally get that photo! Frame-worthy!!

15 Mica October 16, 2009 at 10:08 am

I think the photos are worth the money because they mean something to you. I just paid a lot of money for a picture of me and my running buddy doing the CHI half because (1) we look like we’re having a great time and (2) we actually look like we’re running (as opposed to, you know, shuffling in place). Definitely splurge and get them!

16 eatolive October 16, 2009 at 10:09 am

that is such a cute picture! no thought needed! purchase purchase purchase! not only is it a cuuute picture in itself but, it’s also from derek’s first 10K with you! buy it!

17 Sarah W. October 16, 2009 at 10:14 am

I LOVE that you are holding hands!!!!!! I would purchase πŸ™‚

18 Evan Thomas October 16, 2009 at 10:21 am

Buy it! It captures such a great moment
Kudos to you for baking at 6am! I could not focus that much first thing, I can only run

19 Lesley October 16, 2009 at 10:21 am

I would definitely buy a photo–this was a special race!

And I LOVE your run skirt. Where did you get it?

20 cdbuckeye October 16, 2009 at 10:22 am

I think you should definitely buy them!! I think it is so cute how you helped him and how you made those shirts πŸ™‚ Any advice on how to get my boyfriend to start running with me?? haha I have been reading your blog a long time and yours was one that made me want to start my own! Mine is brand new but check it out if you get a chance!!

21 Anne Marie@ New Weigh of Life October 16, 2009 at 10:27 am

I love that last picture-I definitely think it’s worth it!

22 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) October 16, 2009 at 10:27 am

Hey Meghann!

You should try the butternut squash pecan (carrot) muffins I’ve been baking the last couple of weeks!! Check them out here: http://www.livelaugheat.com/2009/09/26/blogger-baking-bonanza/
….of course after you finish these delicious monsters πŸ™‚

I would TOTALLY purchase those photos!!! At the very least get ONE! Priceless memories!! You’ll want to be able to look back on that moment time and time again.

Have a great FRIDAY!!

23 Leanne October 16, 2009 at 10:28 am

Yeah that picture is cool because the epcott thing is in the background… and because you 2 look nice as well! Very frame-worthy

24 Amelia October 16, 2009 at 10:32 am

Very impressed you made muffins in the morning! My brain is definitely not in cooking mode at 6am. πŸ™‚
Those pictures are great! They are absolutely worth buying.

25 Julie @savvyeats October 16, 2009 at 10:40 am

I see on twitter that you bought it, and I’m glad you did. It is so cute!

26 Jess October 16, 2009 at 10:45 am

I say go splurge on it! It’s a great picture of both of you!

27 Lindsay October 16, 2009 at 10:52 am

That last picture is great! Totally worth spending money on!

28 Jessica October 16, 2009 at 10:53 am

You should TOTALLY get it! It is soo sweet and a once in a lifetime thing.

29 brandi October 16, 2009 at 11:01 am

aw, what great pictures!

30 Tay October 16, 2009 at 11:22 am

SO worth the money! It’s adorable! And it was such a great accomplishment for him – I think it’s totally worth it πŸ™‚

31 veggiebooty October 16, 2009 at 11:23 am

Are you kidding? *Absolutely* get the photo! SO cute.

32 Dawn (HealthySDLiving) October 16, 2009 at 11:29 am

Those muffins look so delicious and I love that you put pears in them!

And so glad you got the picture πŸ™‚ Definitely a moment you always want to remember!

33 Whitney @ Lettuce Love October 16, 2009 at 11:37 am

Yum muffins! Your running skirt is so cute πŸ™‚

34 Tina October 16, 2009 at 11:48 am

Fresh muffins in the morning…so wonderful! I need that pumpkin butter too.
Those pictures are SO awesome, and definitely worth the money πŸ™‚

35 rhodeygirltests October 16, 2009 at 11:52 am

I LOVE those pics, and I LOVE the one you chose to buy!!!!!! πŸ™‚

36 Lizzy October 16, 2009 at 11:52 am

def get a copy of that photo! its such a great memory that i’m sure you want to savor! πŸ™‚

37 Runningwriter October 16, 2009 at 11:57 am

I was thinking how full I was about 5 minutes ago and then I saw your muffins and am suddenly starving πŸ™‚
Definitely get the photo. It is so lovely and if you need to justify it then maybe call it a super early valentines present and then just bake muffins when Valentine’s Day rolls around :D.

38 Molly @vegandorm October 16, 2009 at 12:02 pm

You look so happy in your photos! I can tell you’re truly loving every second.
I absolutely love to run and to race, but I always look really angry in my pictures haha.

39 sandy October 16, 2009 at 12:09 pm

What SWEET picture’s!! Love the hand holding!!

40 peaceloverunning October 16, 2009 at 12:21 pm

i LOVE how you two are holding hands. you definitely need to get the photo!

41 skinnyrunner October 16, 2009 at 12:34 pm

what cute pictures of you two! i love that you held hands at the finish line! have a great friday!

42 Amy October 16, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Hi Meghann,
I love these pics of the two of you. You both look so happy. I am NOT a runner but I think you’ve inspired me to try it out.
I have two questions: One- the Garmin Forerunner- can you use that to track walking distance/pace too and is it something you can look at on the actual screen of the watch or do you have to download onto the computer to get those stats I see you post sometimes?
Also- and this one is silly- where did you get that skirt you are wearing in the Race for the Taste run with the black and white? I love it. Here in Hawaii-Big Island- we have nada in the form of good athletic wear so its online ordering and never know what looks nice. You model well!!
Amy

43 Alison October 16, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Your race pictures are adorable; I definitely think ordering would be worth the money. It’s not often that sheer bliss is captured on film like that.
I love TJ’s pumpkin butter. I mix a spoonful into plain chobani, add a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice and top with crumbled up a graham cracker. Yum!

44 Derek October 16, 2009 at 1:53 pm

haha…sheer bliss for meghann. sheer death for me

45 Alison October 16, 2009 at 3:06 pm

Yeah, but you made it!
Obviously I don’t know you in real life, but believe me, I can totally relate to you. My husband is a great runner, SO much faster than me, and I’ll never be able to keep up with him. I tried to run a mile with him once and I can’t even remember how quickly it took me to quit on him. It was either quit or have my lungs explode. We’ll never run a race together because he doesn’t want to slow down and I’m not overly fond of eating his dust.
You have a great running coach and I hope you keep up the good work!

46 Gabriela October 16, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Hey Meghann,
I have been reading your blog for many months but have never left a comment. I think you are truly an example of what a balanced, moderate life looks like and that’s very refreshing. I have the curiosity to know how did you eat during your weight loss journey. Did you use to eat nut butters and things like that? What is the main difference between when you were trying to lose weight and now?
I love your blog, and you seem to be a very down to earth girl!

47 Suzy Smith October 16, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Make the purchase, get the photos

48 inmytummy October 16, 2009 at 1:10 pm

I think you should get it. Race pictures are not usually flattering (on anyone) so when a good one comes up, grab it!

A funny story: my fiance and I ran a 10K in the summer of 08. It was his first race. I guess he was really excited about the pictures and showed his mother. For some reason, my tongue is sticking out of the side of my mouth in ALL of them. ANd wouldn’t you know it, his mother bought them, tongue and all!

49 ellenp1214 October 16, 2009 at 1:14 pm

oh, that’s totally worth the money! how cute!

50 fattiefatterton October 16, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Absolutely!! This is so important to both of you!!

51 jentrinque October 16, 2009 at 2:53 pm

YES! You should buy that photo at the finish line so you can show your kids someday πŸ™‚

52 Susan October 16, 2009 at 3:12 pm

Those photos are SO cute! You look so happy in them! I always try to make a point of smiling whenever I see cameras at races, even if I’m in pain πŸ˜›

Oh, and I love the looks of those muffins! Subbing in some pear is a great idea πŸ™‚

53 kirsten October 16, 2009 at 3:57 pm

definitely buy it!! those photo’s are so cute, you guys both look so happy πŸ™‚

54 on the rocks October 16, 2009 at 6:56 pm

how do u ever have time to get up and bake before work?? i wish i was a morning person like u!

55 chasingthenow October 16, 2009 at 9:59 pm

The answer is no… there’s not much better than morning muffins. Especially fresh out of the oven morning muffins.

Love that last photo. Touching!

56 ash October 16, 2009 at 10:01 pm

nawwwwwwwwwww its so cute that you guys ran holding hands!!