BBQ Tuna

by Meghann on October 15, 2009

Does anyone else watch 18 Kids and Counting? Well I guess soon it will be 19 Kids and Counting and if we are being politically correct it should be Almost 19 Kids, 1 Grand Kid and 1 Daughter in Law and Counting. ;)

What can I say? I am a sucker for the reality shows that follow families around on TLC.

Anyways I was watching Tuesday night’s episode and the Duggar Dad made his ‘famous’ BBQ Tuna Sandwiches. Some people would watch this and make a face in disgust, I watch it and think ‘Hey! What a great idea!’

The recipe he gave was pretty simple – add bbq sauce to a can of tuna and enjoy! Mine was a little more complicated then that.

IMG_3631

My mix included

• 1 can of Tuna
  • BBQ Sauce
  • Banana Peppers
  • Jalapenos

And was served on an Arnold’s Thin with Spinach & Tomato

IMG_3634

Verdict? Not bad. Of course, i think if you add BBQ sauce to anything its going to be great. This was a nice change, but I prefer my plain yogurt mix with tuna instead.

With the sandwich I was feeling some soup today.

IMG_3637

I had a 1 cup serving of the Butternut Squash soup on the side with a few raisins sprinkled in to jazz it up a bit.

IMG_3632

IMG_3629

Mid-morning I had the last of some a mixed bag of Oh Nuts! Left over from the Healthy Living Summit.

IMG_3626

IMG_3627

Humanity and Pets Partnered Through the Years (HAPPY) Act

This new bill proposes up to $3500 in deductions on federal taxes for pet owners on each qualified pet. Pretty cool, right?

You can read more on the bill here. I’m crossing my fingers this baby passes!

Half Ironman?

Healthy Ashley signed up for the Florida Half Ironman today. Am I crazy to be toying around the idea of registering myself?!?!

I would register right now if the fee wasn’t $$$. This race is on my radar though and thinking about completing it brings a smile to my face and butterflies to my stomach.

Attention Orlando Readers!

Grab your credit card and head over to Florida Mall or Seminole Town Center now!

It’s official! H&M has arrived in Orlando and opened its doors today!!

Wooo hooo!!!

1 Jessica October 15, 2009 at 1:53 pm

I love bbq tuna!

2 Brie (The Fit Bride) October 15, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Haha, we watch that show too. And we definitely saw the tuna and BBQ sauce and threw up in our mouths a little bit. Ick! I hate both those things, so I can’t imagine it would work for me.

You should do the Ironman!

3 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) October 15, 2009 at 1:55 pm

I love that show too, haha. That HAPPY Act sounds great to me!! :)

4 Paige@ Running Around Normal October 15, 2009 at 1:55 pm

You should totally do it! I bet you’d rock it!
I’m not sure about the BBQ’d tuna sandwich. I guess ya can’t knock it til ya try it though, right?

5 Jenna October 15, 2009 at 2:02 pm

hahah oh yess i do watch the duggar family! it is crazy! i am glad you actually tried a reciped from mr. bob duggar! looks good!
jenna

6 Jenna October 15, 2009 at 2:03 pm

and you should DEFS do the ironmen race…catilin is doing it!
jenna

7 Emily October 15, 2009 at 2:15 pm

BBQ tuna salad does sound pretty good. I made honey mustard tuna salad the other day and really liked it – http://eatventures.wordpress.com/eats/main-meals/honey-mustard-tuna-salad/

8 Diana October 15, 2009 at 2:16 pm

Yogurt with tuna? Now THAT’s a weird combination :P That one does look good and I’m sure both taste great :)

You should do it if you think you’re ready!

9 Mellissa October 15, 2009 at 2:20 pm

I watch that show and am seriously fascinated by those people! I want to know how she even has time to ahem ;) with 18 kids!

10 diana October 15, 2009 at 2:20 pm

If you have the time to train for the half, I say do it. I have no doubt if you put you mind to it you’ll be fabulous!!!

11 ClubVeg October 15, 2009 at 2:22 pm

aaahhhh! i didn’t know about H&M! why aren’t they opening one in millenia? strange…

i think you should totally doing the half ironman! i would totally come and cheer you on. with cookies. or chocolate.

12 Stephanie October 15, 2009 at 2:27 pm

I most definitely watch that show as well! I don’t know what keeps me drawn to it, but I always DVR it and watch it when Im not busy.
I think the 1/2 Ironman is a great idea, I think you would do fantastic! Look forward to reading about your decision!

13 BethT October 15, 2009 at 2:30 pm

BBQ tuna…hmmmm…need to think about that one! If you like chickpeas, I have a great “mock” tuna salad recipe I can share with you.

14 Mandy A October 15, 2009 at 2:30 pm

This is the first time in ten years I’m regretting moving away from Orlando!! LOL

When is Nashville’s turn for an H&M?!?!?

15 Lauren October 15, 2009 at 2:41 pm

That combination of BBQ and tuna doesn’t sound half bad. I’m like you though and like anything w/ BBQ. My boyfriend works at the Discovery Channel so he gets to see the Duggars in person, and we follow the shows as well since he works with them first hand. Its hard not to watch!

16 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now October 15, 2009 at 2:45 pm

I love that show. I was thinking that the recipe sounded pretty good, actually!

17 whitneyinchicago October 15, 2009 at 2:47 pm

Soapbox Warning-I’ve never seen the show but my only thought is why this family feels the need to keep having lots of children when there are so many children that need adoption into loving families. At what point is this just socially irresponsible. Off Soapbox

Interesting tax bill. I just looked at the proposed legislation and it would include pet care expenses, including vet visits, but not the cost to actually buy/adopt the pet. I’m also curious if it would be an above the line deduction or below the line (meaning, if you have to have enough deductions to not just take the standard deduction, which usually means homeowners or if everyone would benefit).

18 Stacy (Eating To Live Love Laugh Tri) October 15, 2009 at 3:10 pm

A half Ironman is completely doable and SO much fun but I should warn you that triathlon training will consume your entire life in a way you never thought was possible. I wish someone had told me that before I fell in love with the sport. Think about all of the time you put into running and then multiply it by three…that is what you would be getting yourself into! If you have any questions at all about training, racing and surviving a half IM, feel free to send me an email or just post a comment on my blog.

19 angieinatlanta October 15, 2009 at 3:14 pm

Yum! BBQ tuna sounds great!

20 Rae October 15, 2009 at 3:22 pm

I think you totally can do a half ironman. I would absolutely recommend either doing an Olympic first, or trying a 30 or 40 mile bikde ride, beacause thats where you spend most of your time in training!!

21 Julie October 15, 2009 at 3:23 pm

What an awesome tuna mix in! Ever since I stopped allowing HFCS into my diet I’ve been using organic salsa and avocados for my tuna…BBQ sauce is genius! I can’t wait to try this combo.

22 Sarah October 15, 2009 at 3:43 pm

How was Maddie at lunch? I love her, so adorable.

23 Meghann October 15, 2009 at 3:46 pm

She was great. No accidents and back to her chipper happy go lucky self :)

24 Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) October 15, 2009 at 3:55 pm

I love those Pacific Soups. You MUST try the Cashew Carrot Ginger…it is so spicy and delicious as is.

25 Evan Thomas October 15, 2009 at 3:56 pm

How has it not occured to me to dress up tuna like that? Do you have a favorite brand BBQ sauce?

26 Kate October 15, 2009 at 4:00 pm

I definitely think you should consider the half ironman, but preparing for a 56 mile bike ride takes a LOT of work, and you won’t have that much time to get your bike endurance up after the marathon… It might be better to pick a race that’s later in tri season?

27 RunToTheFinish October 15, 2009 at 4:39 pm

so unfair that I am not just a tad closer to Orlando…so close yet so far away from all you great bloggers.

Love the easy tuna recipe!

28 Chloe October 15, 2009 at 4:51 pm

Get into swimming and biking and see how they feel to you! A half ironman would be amazing, plus there are tons of shorter triathlons you can enter to train with. You already know you can run like the wind, so why not give it a shot?

Love the tuna idea, having stuff like that on hand and making it into something delicious is always satisfying.

29 Ali October 15, 2009 at 5:13 pm

I love H&M, so glad you guys got one. I live there!

BBQ Tuna looks great! I make Buffalo Tuna all the time (pretty much the same concept).

30 Erin October 15, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Strange – I’ve been thinking that a half Ironman would be my next big fitness goal, but I wouldn’t try it for a year or so. You may want to get more experienced at shorter tri distances first and you should give your body plenty of time to recover after your marathon. If you push yourself too hard, you’ll just get injured!

31 Grace October 15, 2009 at 5:20 pm

OMG OMG. Thanks for the heads up about H&M! I didn’t think Fla would EVER get one. I will definitely have to make a special trip the next time I’m in Orlando (next month).

32 FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com October 15, 2009 at 7:01 pm

This is one of my favourite meals EVER. BBQ Tuna is super dead easy..

I do like to add some red onion in there though

Thanks so much for being a top referrer to my blog :) You rock!

33 peaceloverunning October 15, 2009 at 8:27 pm

i love h&m one finally opened up at my local mall back at home. i wish they would open one up here in arizona.

34 inmytummy October 15, 2009 at 8:40 pm

I like to mix tuna with salsa. Have you ever tried that? It’s good.

We got an H&M here about a year ago. Awesome, but so crowded for the first 6 months that it opened.

35 Lynne October 15, 2009 at 9:01 pm

No, you’re not crazy. I would consider it, but have never done anything like it. Plus, I don’t have a bike. I should really work on that.

36 bobbi October 15, 2009 at 10:24 pm

Doing a half Iron Man is my DREAM! I really wanting to do one, I just need that ROAD bike and to get my self in a pool a lot more.

You are not CRAZY just passionate! LOVE IT!

37 Lizzy October 16, 2009 at 1:02 am

never would have thought to add bbq sauce to tuna! i love both things, and i agree. adding bbq sauce to anything makes it better!

38 Candace Hargraves July 16, 2012 at 1:26 am

To person in Nashville talking about H&M-There is one in Huntsville, Al. at Bridge Street in Madison. It’s probably 2-21/2 hrs from you-maybe less depending on where you are starting from!