Hot Apples in a Jar

by Meghann on October 14, 2009

Good Morning! And Happy Hump Day!

My Wednesday morning has been great so far thanks to a short and sweet run. I completed an easy 3 miles and 3×100 strides.

My body is recovering from my cruise intervals yesterday and gearing up for my sprint intervals tomorrow!

When I opened my fridge this morning I was happy to discover a jar of almond butter that was on its last leg.

IMG_3572

It’s funny how an almost empty jar of almond butter that once made me very sad now makes me very happy thanks to its new ‘as a bowl’ potential.

IMG_3580

I did a little something different with this near-empty jar and instead of using it as a oats holder, I filled it with hot cinnamon apples!

IMG_3581

I then topped the cinnamon apples with 1/3 cup of Glo-Nola.

IMG_3583

The hot apples melted the almond butter and made a ooey gooey yummy mess! If you are looking to spice up the last bit of nut butter in your jar, I would highly recommend this!  😉

IMG_3584

More musings on the power of publicity…

Another story in the news that really tugged at my heartstrings this week was that of a 6 year old boy who innocently brought a knife-fork-spoon utensil to school. The utensil  was a present from his parents in honor of joining cub scouts and resembled a pocket knife.

When the boy accidentally dropped his new toy at school a teacher quickly took possession and handed the utensil over to the principle who under the school’s zero tolerance weapon policy suspended the boy for 45 days.

The parents decided to fight the school’s decision and sought justice in the national news circuit. They plead their case to the New York Times and the Today Show among countless other stations. Within a week of making national headlines, the school board decided to overturn their decision and welcomed Zachary back to school this morning.

Hmmm…. Insurance company overturns their decision about allowing the ‘overweight’ baby to be covered after the parents went national and now a local school board does the same thing when the parents brought about bad press?

Lesson learned? If you experience any injustice don’t hold back. Fight your case and fight hard. Better yet, get the media involved. That seems to be all it takes lately. 😉

Cruise And Blog…

My friend Doug over at CruiseAndBlog.com interviewed me on Staying Healthy at Sea during his podcast this week. Head over to his blog now to listen to what I have to say. Its my radio and podcast debut!

And if you’re interested in cruising give cruiseandblog.com a gander. Doug has a lot of great information for anyone planning their next vacation!

1 Jessica October 14, 2009 at 8:59 am

OMGosh that breakfast looks amazing!

2 Diana October 14, 2009 at 9:02 am

That breakfast looks so good. 🙂

I think it’s great that people turn to the media to get help or be heard. It usually works because no one wants bad publicity.

3 Amy October 14, 2009 at 9:04 am

MMmmmm… Cinnamon apples + almond butter!? That sounds like it’s to-die-for– a perfect post-run treat 🙂 I need to finish up my a.b. jar really soon so I can try that ….

4 MelissaNibbles October 14, 2009 at 9:05 am

The possibilities for an empty nut butter jar are endless!

5 Mica October 14, 2009 at 9:15 am

How did you make the cinnamon apples? Did you microwave them or bake them before putting them in the jar? (Why am I so confused by this simple breakfast? Clearly, my brain isn’t working yet.)

6 Meghann October 14, 2009 at 9:18 am

I cubed an apple and then coated it with cinnamon before putting it in the microwave for 2 minutes or until soft. 🙂

7 greensandjeans October 14, 2009 at 9:17 am

Wow, that breakfast looks amazing! I’ll have to remember that for my next “in a jar…”

8 Evan Thomas October 14, 2009 at 9:24 am

I was watching that story on The Today show, I’m glad he ended up not in so much trouble
Perfect idea for a new twist on an old jar 🙂

9 Lizzy October 14, 2009 at 9:27 am

that jar of goodness seriously looks amazing! almost like an apple crisp in a jar! love it! i’m sure it smelled amazing in the house! 🙂

10 Amanda October 14, 2009 at 9:49 am

I love the hot apples in a jar idea! It sounds delicious!!

11 angieinatlanta October 14, 2009 at 9:55 am

Best. Idea. Ever!

Sounds more like dessert!!!

12 Emily October 14, 2009 at 10:10 am

Great idea – I may copy it soon. Autumn food for sure.

13 christina October 14, 2009 at 10:11 am

that actually happened in my town! i was so surprised to see it on msn.com and headline news, but i had heard about it and thought it was just ridiculous. i’m glad he was brought back to school too

14 Kasondra October 14, 2009 at 10:25 am

breakfast looks delicious! making me miss almond butter, i have been on the PB lately!

15 brandi October 14, 2009 at 10:27 am

great idea with the apples!

That story about the boy and the pocket knife was just ridiculous – I mean, he was 6! I couldn’t believe what they wanted to do about it. I’m glad they overturned their decision.

16 Lindsay @ bananaandchocolate October 14, 2009 at 10:31 am

Your breakfast looks amazing! That’s another great idea for an almost empty jar!

17 sue October 14, 2009 at 10:46 am

your breakfast is simply the best idea ever…i’ve never been so excited to get to the bottom of my AB jar!

18 cookinfanatic October 14, 2009 at 10:54 am

cruiseandblog sounds cool! we cruise quite often so i am interested to hear some “stay healthy” tips and see if I am missing some things, love getting new perspectives 🙂 thanks!

19 biz319 October 14, 2009 at 10:58 am

Love your breakfast in a jar! 😀

Congrats on the podcast debut!

20 Anne Marie@ New Weigh of Life October 14, 2009 at 10:58 am

I love apples-so, so good!

21 Lindsey512 October 14, 2009 at 11:07 am

Hey Meghann! Great looking breakfast.

I must be the lone dissenter on this one. I really think it’s too much of a burden for teachers to have to make threat assessments and, as the article you linked to says, that leaves a lot of room for bias and discrimination in the application of rules. Sure, it’s a utensil and that particular kid may never dream of hurting another kid with it, but how is a teacher supposed to predict that? And it seems like not that big a sacrifice for him to just leave the utensil at home and not use it at school. It’s not like something he NEEDS there.

Anyway, I love your blog and hope no one takes this the wrong way! I know your original post didn’t really say how you feel about the “zero tolerance” policy, but other commenters seem to disagree with me.

22 Fallon October 14, 2009 at 11:15 am

Oh wow.. now I can’t wait to have an almost empty jar of almond butter. LOL. How did you warm up the apples? Separately or in the jar?

23 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) October 14, 2009 at 11:30 am

Oh my gosh, I am so going to have to make hot apples in a jar! I love putting my oats in there too 😉

24 blueberrymuffins October 14, 2009 at 11:51 am

I loveeee your jar idea <3

25 Amy October 14, 2009 at 12:26 pm

I’m going to give Lindsey512 some company on this one. We were talking about this in my office yesterday. I have strong mixed feelings about the boy with the cub scout utensil.
On one hand, it is ridiculous that the no tolerance policy on weapons must extend to a seemingly harmless item like a cub scout camping utensil, and that the school administrators would not defer to common sense when doling out the punishment. (The boy was not attempting to stab someone with the tool when it was discovered.) However, public schools have resorted to creating no tolerance policies on issues such as bringing weapons to school because the violence issues they deal with give them few alternatives. I remember one particularly nasty girl fight in my high school that involved one girl mutilating the other girl’s face by punching her with keys between her fisted fingers. (yes, that was a girl fight). People can get creative when they want to be destructive.
I don’t think school-wide rules should be made based on isolated incidents, but you have enough isolated incidents throughout the year, and no tolerance policies start to sound reasonable.

Secondly, the thing that concerns me more is that young children need to learn the importance of following directions, obeying rules, and abiding by laws. At that age, children need to learn that there are consequences for breaking rules. I’m worried that the take-away message from this incident for the students will be that rules are bad and consequences are not fair.
Instead, I hope the parents and teachers will take the time to discuss the whole ordeal with the students,explaining why the no tolerance policy came to be (prior acts of violence in school), what the current rules of the school are – so that other students do not unknowingly bring prohibited items to school, the importance of obeying rules, and the ability to contest rules/laws that may be objectively wrong.

I do think those are complicated topics to discuss with first-graders, but not discussing this ordeal at length could cause these kids to develop a warped idea of how the world works — cause and effect, consequences for your actions, etc.

26 Lindsey512 October 14, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Yes, I didn’t get into it but I agree totally with your second point.

27 inmytummy October 14, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Hot apples in a jar is pure genius. I have to try this out. I like the whole “in a jar” breakfast but am not the hugest fan of oatmeal. This is perfect.

28 Jess October 14, 2009 at 1:54 pm

I understand the intent of the boy and his parents was completely innocent but come on, you do not give a 6 year old a knife and did the parents honestly think in this day and age that the school would be OK with a 6 year old have a utensil that is also a knife in school? Parents like this seriously scare me.

29 Jenna October 14, 2009 at 2:06 pm

great idea of your breaky!
jenna

30 Danica October 14, 2009 at 2:16 pm

WOW ~ I really think I might be speechless. You are seriously a genius – LOVE the idea of hot apples in a jar with almond butter and granola. I am honestly pondering empty an almond butter jar now just to try this 😀 LOL

31 Jess October 14, 2009 at 3:31 pm

Your breakfast looks great! One of my favorites is to warm an apple in the microwave like you did and then top with vanilla yogurt and granola — its like a healthy apple crisp!

32 joelygolightly October 14, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Oh that looks scrumptious- I almost can’t wait for my almond butter to be nearly empty to be able to fill it up with something else like your granola apple mix!

33 chasingthenow October 14, 2009 at 6:00 pm

Hot apples in a jar sounds heavenly! What a concept… Maybe I’ll give that a shot when my huge JIF jar finally runs out.

34 bad carbohydrates October 15, 2009 at 12:22 am

apple combinated with butter looks good and delicious.