more ยป" />

Cruise Intervals

by Meghann on October 13, 2009

Week 6 of my Marathon Training is Speed Week.

seedwk

This morning I kicked off speed with my first Cruise Intervals of my plan.

Here is the definition for cruise intervals that came with the plan:

Cruise Intervals (C): For 9:45 minute MGP run 8:45 and 6:05. Recovery is half the distance of the repetition

It took me a while to figure out what this means. After a little research I concluded that a cruise interval is when you pick up the speed for the interval, but not sprinting it. Of course I could be completely wrong so please feel free to correct me.

The two numbers they provided (8:45 and 6:05) represent my goals for the distances. For the 1 mile cruise interval I want to aim for 8:45 and for the 1200 cruise interval I want to aim for 6:05. Now this is the total time it takes to finish 1200 NOT the average per mile pace.

Make sense?

For the first time ever I set up an interval work out on my Garmin. It was very easy to set up.

From the main menu: Training > Workouts > Interval > Dist/Rest Distance

I believe the advance work out option would have been better here since I was aiming for specific times, but this method was easier for me to set up at 5:30 this morning. ๐Ÿ™‚

I programmed the Interval Workout for a distance of .75 mi and a rest distance of .25 mi with a warm up and cool down.

Here were my stats:

0.252:269:46ย
0.252:279:54(Cool Down)
ย ย ย ย
ย Total Time44:49:00ย
ย Avg Pace8:51ย
ย Distance5.06ย

The interval of speeding up for .75 mi and then slowing down for .25 kept my run interesting and allowed the time to fly by. I managed to stay on target and am happy with my times.

After I finish my run and had a nice shower, I was more then ready to dive into the ready to go breakfast waiting for me in the fridge.

IMG_3530

Last night I made some overnight oats by combining 1/2 cup Oats, Plain Oikos, Fat Free milk, Hazelnuts, Raisins, Cinnamon and Chia Seeds then letting it rest in the fridge over night.

ย IMG_3532

This morning I topped my thick bowl of oats with some Strawberries and Glo-Nola.

IMG_3536

The Glo-Nola is a very rich and intense granola. The 3 tablespoons I topped my bowl with went a long way as far as adding a touch of sweetness and crunch to my oats. I did have to take a hammer to the granola this morning to break it up a little. Sometime on its journey to the U.S. the granola became one big ball that just needed a little help to break itself a part again.

IMG_3537

I have a lot of work to get through today. Good thing busy days are usually quick days. ๐Ÿ™‚

Happy Tuesday everyone!

1 Leianna October 13, 2009 at 9:11 am

Love the interval training, I need to incorportate that in my plan too!
Granola on anything is great and always filling!

2 Jessica October 13, 2009 at 9:12 am

I love interval training…this is a great idea! I was confused at first but it sounds like an awesome workout!

3 Rose October 13, 2009 at 9:35 am

You just reminded me that I need to take advantage of overnight breakfasts again!

Thanks for the info on the interval training. It’s always my downfall when it comes to training, so it’s another nice reminder ๐Ÿ™‚

4 brandi October 13, 2009 at 9:59 am

ha, I totally didn’t understand any of that, but I’m glad it went well! Maybe I need to read it again once I’ve had my coffee ๐Ÿ™‚

5 Simone @ P:T October 13, 2009 at 10:04 am

That granola looks mighty fine!!! As for all the training talk, I’m with Brandi and totally didn’t know what you were talking about, but hey, if it works for you, than that’s all that matters! ๐Ÿ™‚

6 Evan Thomas October 13, 2009 at 10:04 am

You’re confusing me with all those numbers but so long as you know wwhat you’re doing that’s great. I’m much more spontaneous and don’t have a chedule. This morning I ran my first half just for the fun of it ๐Ÿ™‚

7 Lindsay @ bananaandchocolate October 13, 2009 at 10:10 am

That glonola looks good! Sometimes I like when it’s stuck together like that. I love the big pieces throughout a bowl of oats!

8 Morgan @ Life After Bagels October 13, 2009 at 10:13 am

I love learning more about running. Although I’m pretty darn far off training for a marathon, it’s all interesting to me.

9 runningaroundnormal October 13, 2009 at 10:27 am

Nice job on the interval run! I need to figure out those speedwork terms, too! I always just kinda do my own version of speedwork.

10 MelissaNibbles October 13, 2009 at 10:29 am

I love intervals, especially if you’re on a treadmill.

Yummy oats!

11 Kristie Lynn October 13, 2009 at 10:40 am

I love doing intervals with the Garmin – it makes them so much easier! That granola looks delicious; totally worth breaking apart with a hammer ๐Ÿ˜›

12 Whitney @ Lettuce Love October 13, 2009 at 10:52 am

I like interval training on the treadmill and elliptical because I become bored and need to change things every few minutes

13 Jenna October 13, 2009 at 11:00 am

glo-nola looks great!
jenna

14 Diana October 13, 2009 at 11:35 am

Hm, glonola ๐Ÿ™‚ Sounds so good!

15 angieinatlanta October 13, 2009 at 11:53 am

Great training plan! I think I might do something similar but at a much slower pace!

16 Shion (Shi's Eating) October 13, 2009 at 12:11 pm

I need to get some of that glo-nola for myself! Looks yummy…

17 Susan October 13, 2009 at 12:23 pm

That breakfast looks yummy! For your overnight oats- are the oats cooked? I am confused about how you bloggers are making this… Thanks!

18 greensandjeans October 13, 2009 at 12:29 pm

great job on those intervals! I did a little bit of speed work today on the treadmill, mostly because it helps pass the time!

19 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) October 13, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Great job on the run! Intervals do help keep things interesting. I still haven’t tried overnight oats! What is wrong with me? Ha ha.

20 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now October 13, 2009 at 2:10 pm

You rocked those intervals! The Glo-Nola looks amazing! It’s making me miss my granola bars I made this weekend and forgot at home ๐Ÿ™

21 Amber October 13, 2009 at 3:38 pm

I think you should drive to where Derek is this weekend and run the 5k with him!

22 Kate October 13, 2009 at 9:02 pm

Good work on the intervals!

Remember that the purpose of target paces is not to “beat” them, just to “meet” them ๐Ÿ™‚

23 Christy October 14, 2009 at 2:07 pm

Hi! I’m totally with Susan with being confused about how to make this breakfast. I have been recently wanting to try oats, but I have no clue what to buy and what to do. Please tell me which kind you buy, and if you cook the oats first. Are you using the quick cooking oats? It looks so delicious! Thanks!

24 Jessie June 12, 2012 at 5:42 am

THANK YOU for posting this in basic language for the nonathletic, just wanna run a marthon girl like me. I must be on a similar training plan to the one you posted here and could not wrap my head around how to run this Cruise Interval. Finally Google brought me to your site and it is worth way more than any running site I tried to deciphor. THANKS a million times over.
Jessie recently posted..Groovy Birthday Photos