Race For the Taste: Derek's First 10k

by Meghann on October 11, 2009

We did it!!!

Operation Derek’s First 10k was a complete success and I couldn’t be prouder. :)

The morning started as all race mornings do. We were up at an ungodly hour for a Sunday morning to make it to the race site before the 6:15 parking cut off time.

On the way out the door I made Derek and I Almond Butter & Dark Chocolate Chip Pitas to fuel our bellies.

Welcome to the official start site for Race for the Taste 2009!

When Derek and I ran our 4 miles together a couple of weeks ago he made a comment on how he needed a shirt that said “I try to keep up with my Girlfriend.” His idea got the wheels spinning in my head which lead to this…

IMG_3400.JPG IMG_3401.JPG

I took two tech tees to a local shop and they added the design and copy for me.

Everyone who ran passed us had a good chuckle and we got a couple dozen comments from passer byers stating how great the shirts were. Derek and I were happy to entertain our fellow racers.

We made our way to the start and waited with a few thousand new friends.

Instead of a whistle as a signal for the start of the race, beautiful fireworks flooded the sky. I missed any pictures, but I did get great video I will post later. :)

We started the race with a good crowd. I kept Derek at pace so that he wouldn’t burn out early. We practiced the galloway method and for the first 3 miles we ran 5 minutes then walked for a minute. Along the way we were able to talk and make new friends. Everyone was chatting about the promise of food and drinks at the end. These were my kind of people.

I loved the casual atmosphere of all the runners around us. I’m so used to the competitive nature of races that I forget how much fun they can be when you’re not worried about setting a new PR or being the first to finish. This was just about living the moment and taking the whole experience in. :)

The first mile of the race took us along a few service roads, but eventually we made our way to Hollywood Studios.

It was fun to run behind the scenes and see the park before it opened.

Before we knew it a 5k was already behind us!

And for the first time EVER I stopped during a race and waited while Derek used the restroom.

I waited patiently outside, but I’ll admit I was very antsy to keep running.

My favorite part of the race actually took place between Hollywood Studios and Epcot when we ran around a beautiful lake in the early morning sun.

Derek was doing awesome. The galloway method seemed to be the perfect strategy for him. It was a vast improvement from our last run and I was glowing with pride. Around mile 4 we switched from the 5 min run/ 1 min walk ratio to 2 min run/ 1 min walk.

He was starting to feel the burn, but was pushing through it.

A few times along the race we had one or two runners pass us shouting words of encouragement to Derek. It seems like Derek had formed a little fan club. The shouts of ‘Go Derek” and ‘You can do it” really gave him that extra push when he needed it.

With a little more then a mile left in the race we reached the final stretch of Epcot where we were told to look for the big ball as our end point.

They lied. Turns out the end point was actually .3 miles from the ball; a fact Derek was not happy about.

Nevertheless, we did find the true ending and held hands as we crossed the finish line.

We started the race together and we ended it together! I have to admit finishing the race holding hands ranks up there as one of the most romantic moments I’ve ever had. :)

Our chips times were even identical : 1:24:27

For someone who was worried he wouldn’t make the 15 minute per mile cut off, Derek did freaking awesome! He earned that metal!!

I grabbed a slice of watermelon as we were herded from the finish line.

At the beginning of the race Derek told me he never thought he would be standing next to me waiting for a race in a crowd like that. When we first started seeing each other again last February he always commented on how crazy I was for doing what I do and that he was not a runner. So many months later and here we are goofing off after running our first 10k together.

I asked Derek if he would run one again and he said yes, but not anytime soon. He did however state he wanted to stick with 5Ks and asked me if there were any coming up in the near future. He knows how to melt my heart. :)

There was free food and drinks for the runners, but both of us weren’t interested in anything they were offering. Instead we went home to shower and headed to Dexter’s for Sunday Brunch.

I ordered the French Toast with a side of Fruit.

I think I prefer my french toast with thinner bread. The thicker slices were too bready for me if that’s at all possible?

Derek happily indulged in a humoungous breakfast burrito.

The race left him starved. He said he felt empty and definitely refilled himself by eating the entire burrito in a matter of minutes.

It’s been a busy morning and I fully intend to take the rest of the afternoon off. Derek has already had a headstart. ;)

He earned that snooze!

Have a great Sunday everyone!

1 caitlin October 11, 2009 at 2:08 pm

TRUE LOVE!!! I LOVE IT. ;)

2 Dori October 11, 2009 at 2:18 pm

So cute! My boyfriend wanted to run my upcoming 5 miler with me but he is on call for work, and this makes me wish he wasn’t! Although he will be waiting for me at the finish line. Great race! I think the problem with your french toast was that it looks a little dry — big bread (like challah) french toast is AWESOME when it is mushier!

3 Susan October 11, 2009 at 2:19 pm

Awww, congrats to Derek!!! Finishing a 10k is a serious achievement! My boyfriend just started running too, so this made me think a lot of him :) Although – I don’t know if he’ll be down with sporting t-shirts at our first race together :P

4 kirsten October 11, 2009 at 2:19 pm

this is such a cute post! Go Derek on running his first 10k!! And the shirts are so awesome! Great idea Meghann!! :)

5 Laura October 11, 2009 at 2:19 pm

The shirts are awesome! :) It’s great you two are so supportive of each other.

6 Christy October 11, 2009 at 2:21 pm

omg so cute!! i love the story! looks like tons of fun :-P Makes me wanna run a 10k!

7 Valerie October 11, 2009 at 2:22 pm

You two are ADORABLE! Congrats Derek!

8 modernation October 11, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Congrats to you and Derek! I am crossing my fingers that one of these days I will be able to convince my boyfriend to run a race with me. I do love the support and having him there at every finish line – but it would be great to hold hand across one of those finish lines!

9 Lindsey @ Sound Eats October 11, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Aww this is so sweet! Congrats to Derek for completing his first 10k and to you for being an awesome supportive girlfriend!

10 Tay October 11, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Aww adorable!! Go Derek :-)

11 Marina October 11, 2009 at 2:27 pm

This is so cute! You two doing the race together, those t-shirts. Congrats to both of you :) Enjoy your day :)

12 Kelsey October 11, 2009 at 2:29 pm

so sweet!!! your shirts are the greatest and i bet everyone racing with you loved them as well. good job derek!!!

13 ellenp1214 October 11, 2009 at 2:31 pm

that’s so cute! i love your shirts. congrats, derek!

14 Maggie October 11, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Congrats to Derek!! So adorable :)

15 Julie October 11, 2009 at 2:35 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE the shirts!! Such a cute idea! Your such a great supportive girlfriend! And Derek…what an inpiration! Good for him for running and finishing! This was the sweetest post :)

16 angieinatlanta October 11, 2009 at 2:40 pm

Cutest. T-shirts. EVER.

17 ksquared22 October 11, 2009 at 2:40 pm

wow that has to be one of my favorite posts from you! So great!!!! I enjoyed the t-shirts!!! I think its great that Derek finished, I don’t think I could at this point! Whats even better is that he wants to keep running the 5ks!
I do have a ? though, my google reader never ssems to update ontime….. it can take hours until your post will show up…any adive on how I can fix that?

18 Jacqueline October 11, 2009 at 2:44 pm
19 MelissaNibbles October 11, 2009 at 2:49 pm

Adorable. Congratulations to you both!

20 Hallie October 11, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Congrats you guys! As someone who is never doing a race to “race” I know the feeling of just being around other runners and having fun. It’s a really cool feeling. I have my first 10k in a few weeks and I’m nervous about it but you guys inspire me :-D

21 Amanda October 11, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Yay!! Great job, Derek! You two are SO cute together!

22 Kathleen October 11, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Love the shirts! CONGRATULATIONS, DEREK! What a great memory (super romantic) for the two of you to share, crossing the finish line hand in hand!

23 jennylikestorun October 11, 2009 at 3:03 pm

Aww I love it!!! This is by far one of my favourite posts from you :) It’s really inspiring and It’s so sweet that you two stuck by each other the whole way! That’s what running’s about, support and enjoyment :) It’s great that you could share the joy of it with each other. Thanks for posting this! Congrats on your awesome 10k!!!

24 jennylikestorun October 11, 2009 at 3:03 pm

And I love the shirts too btw :D

25 jentrinque October 11, 2009 at 3:06 pm

I don’t know why, but this post made me teary eyed! I’m so proud of Derek and I’m so happy you got to experience the romance of crossing the finish line with him. Go Derek! And go Meghann, too!

26 Allison October 11, 2009 at 3:23 pm

YAY DEREK!!!!

Can I just say – you two are – SO.DAMN.CUTE!!!!! The shirts? – My heart melted a little when I saw them, that is such a great (and sweet!) idea! :)

A very big congrats to Derek!!! (and a very big congrats to you on waiting for him – I know your little speed demon self had to use a lot of self control!) :)

27 Babycakes October 11, 2009 at 3:24 pm

This is the cutest post ever <3

28 Danielle October 11, 2009 at 3:24 pm

AWWWW! I love how you ran this race together! I think it’s awesome how Derek has started to enjoy running and found that the Galloway Method works for him.

Congrats to you both for finishing hand in hand :)
Danielle

29 Erica October 11, 2009 at 3:26 pm

hahaha love the shirts- that is AWeSOME. Congrats to D (and to you of course ;)) on the first 10k! What a yummy bfast afterwards.

30 Jessica October 11, 2009 at 3:28 pm

Congrats to Derek! I love the medal you guys got!

31 kate October 11, 2009 at 3:34 pm

Meghann, this is awesome! First, the race route looks beautiful. Second, adorable shirts! What a creative idea. Third, I love that you are sharing this passion together. Fourth, you seem truly happy at this point in your life. In all respects. You are enjoying food, running, people, and life. Go you!

32 MegaNerd October 11, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Congrats Derek!! Meghann, the shirts are super cute!!! I love that idea :D Does that mean… you guys are “official” ? LOL :D

33 Kelly October 11, 2009 at 3:36 pm

I can’t see what the back of YOUR shirt says- “Have you seen my boyfriend” and then what? I love the shirts and the whole thing. I wanna run that race too, so fun!

34 Meghann's Dad October 11, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Yea what did that shirt say !! And did you give that to him HUM ? ? BF ? ? GF ?? What is that about

35 Trish (girlatgym) October 11, 2009 at 3:39 pm

YAY!! Love it!!! Congrats to you both!! :-)

36 Melissa October 11, 2009 at 3:41 pm

So cute! :)

My boyfriend Jared and I ran the Boston Half Marathon this morning. We wore matching outfits too…navy blue shorts and white t-shirts. I love that you two had shirts made!

We didn’t hold hands crossing the finish line, but we did as we were funneled down the chute to get water. And we had the EXACT same time… 2:04:56

Glad to see you had a great time at the Race for the Taste!

37 Nicci@NIftyEats October 11, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Your t-shirts are too cute. I love how you’ll support and encourage each other.

38 Aggie October 11, 2009 at 4:04 pm

Congrats to Derek! Love this post and you guys are so stinkin cute together!!!
Enjoy the rest of your day together!

39 Amelia October 11, 2009 at 4:12 pm

The tshirt idea is so cute! Congrats to Derek on his first 10K. :)

40 chandra October 11, 2009 at 4:13 pm

First off – HUGE congrats to Derek!! He did great!

Second, you guys are toooo freaking adorable! It about makes me cry you’re so cute. :-) Makes me want to go out and find a bf… almost… ha!

41 amanda @ fake ginger October 11, 2009 at 4:13 pm

Congrats Derek! I tried to get my husband to read the post so he’ll start running but no go. :(

Those shirts are so cute! It looks like you 2 had a great time!

42 Simone @ P:T October 11, 2009 at 4:21 pm

I freakin’ love it. I think my heart just melted FOR you. Adorable. I am not a runner either but all of Derek’s hard work has inspired me to sign up for my first race in late December. I am so NOT a runner (aka, crash after 1/4 mile of running) but I am determined to challenge myself and complete my first race!

Oh, and love the shirts!!

43 Jenna October 11, 2009 at 4:58 pm

those shirts are too cute ;)
i am glad you both started and finished the race together!
great job and the race seems so cool running through the parks! have a restful afternoon!
jenna

44 Lindsay October 11, 2009 at 5:01 pm

Awww! I teared up when you described crossing the finish line together. That is so sweet!

Congrats to both you and Derek!

45 Rosey Rebecca October 11, 2009 at 5:03 pm

LOVE the shirts!! Congrats to both you and Derek!

46 Island Girl Eats October 11, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Well done Derek! What a great accomplishment.

47 Emily October 11, 2009 at 5:20 pm

Sounds like a fun race, the shirts were an adorable idea! Congrats to Derek!

48 Maya October 11, 2009 at 5:46 pm

Congrats to Derek and you for being such a great coach! I loved reading about you holding hands at the end, what a sweet moment!

49 Andrea October 11, 2009 at 5:54 pm

You guys are too cute! Way to go Derek!!!

50 blueberrymuffins October 11, 2009 at 5:57 pm

This is sooooooo freaking cuteee. You and your boy are fit and fab!

51 runninginpink October 11, 2009 at 6:27 pm

Your shirts are awesome! Congrats to Derek on his first 10K!

52 Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) October 11, 2009 at 6:34 pm

Nice JOB! I am sure all your carbo loading at Epcot yesterday is what pushed you through today ;)

53 Morgan October 11, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Congrats to you and Derek! Those shirts are hilarious, and the run looked beautiful!

54 Jessica October 11, 2009 at 7:11 pm

Thats so awesome I wish I did the 10k but the only way I could get my friend her and her family to sign up is if we did the 3k lol. It was a nice quick distance of 1.8miles.

The empanadas at one of the taste stations was delish!! Then we went to food and wine festival ALL day I’m about ready to PASS OUT!!

55 Jessica October 11, 2009 at 7:14 pm

Too cute!! So proud of Derek! Just goes to show you can do anything that you set your mind to!

56 Cait October 11, 2009 at 7:40 pm

This is such an adorable story. Congrats to Derek for pushing through it with you! & I think it’s so sweet that you crossed the finish line holding hands. :)

57 Jess (What's Normal, Anyways?) October 11, 2009 at 7:43 pm

What a great team you guys make! I’m so glad you found someone who is so supportive of your lifestyle, Meghann.

I was also really excited to see so many other people walking during your 10k. It give me hope that I can start doing some races soon, walk breaks or no!

PS. Love your shirts. You are too cute!

58 Lizzy October 11, 2009 at 7:46 pm

YAY for Derek! This is the best story ever and i’m so so so happy that he did it! I new he could! :) I love that you started and ended together, i think thats awesome and really shows your dedication to one another! :)

59 Lynne October 11, 2009 at 7:51 pm

Congrats to Derek! Having just run my first 10K last weekend, I know what an accomplishment that is! I really want to try a Disney race next – they look like so much fun.
Cute shirts.

60 M October 11, 2009 at 8:10 pm

So sweet.

61 Andrea October 11, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Could you guys be any cuter? I don’t think so either :)
Great job Derek! As a non-runner runner myself, I think you should be very proud of yourself!

62 Ryan @ Greens for Good October 11, 2009 at 8:57 pm

Sooooo cute! I love your shirts!

Congratulations Derek!

63 megzzwinsatlife October 11, 2009 at 9:06 pm

You two are soo cute!! I love the shirts!!! I think it is awesome he has started sharing your passion… Congrats Derek!! You did GREAT!!

64 Julia October 11, 2009 at 9:24 pm

You two make my day!
Congrats Derek on your first 10k, that’s fabulous!

65 Britt @ Runnerbelle October 11, 2009 at 9:53 pm

Great job both of you!! (its hard not to run your own pace and have to wait)

My poor hubby went from a couple 5k’s to running the Disney Half in 2008. I signed up to do the Goofy Challenge and figured I’d run the half with him. It was a great experience, after running for so many years I kind of forget how hard it is to build up your endurance. He rocked it though. Just like Derek rocked his first 10K. Awesome race!

66 Sweet and Fit October 11, 2009 at 11:13 pm

congrats! you two are absolutely adorable! the t-shirts are sooo cute and funny!

67 J @ Whole Body Love October 12, 2009 at 1:39 am

Congrats to the boi!

68 Ali October 12, 2009 at 8:04 am

What a great post! YAY for Derek! That is so great! I am actually running my first 10k today! EEEEKKK! SO excited. I have run the distance many times, but never in a race so I am thrilled. You guys are adorable!

69 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) October 12, 2009 at 9:24 am

Great job Derek!! This gives me hope that someday my husband and I can run a race together :) Glad you all enjoyed it throroughly.

70 allisonisactive October 12, 2009 at 1:29 pm

You must have been right near me the whole time! I would have said hi if I had seeen you. :o) It was my first 10k, just like Derek! I finished at about 1:23 on the clock and was SUPER happy with my time. Congrats to Derek, and I’m glad you enjoyed the race as well. Disney races are the best!

71 Anne October 12, 2009 at 1:54 pm

That’s so cute. Can’t read the bottom line of your shirt though?

72 Dawn (HealthySDLiving) October 12, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Congratulations to the both of you! :)

73 Stacey October 12, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Aw how sweet :) I always tell my boyfriend to run ahead of me! It gives me more motivation to know that he is waiting for me at the finish line! You and Derek are a cute couple, congrats on your first 10k together!

74 on the rocks October 12, 2009 at 3:33 pm

That is the cutest race recap ever. He should be very proud of himself!

75 Krissy - Shiawase Life January 27, 2011 at 9:36 pm

I loved that race! Was kinda bummed they switched it to a night half marathon, but whatevs =) I just wanted to comment though, because I was working at Disney back when you ran this race and I swear I remember seeing those shirts you guys were wearing! I worked at Epcot and we cheered people as they ran past Guest Relations by Spaceship Earth!!

76 Anna S. November 14, 2013 at 9:23 am

I saw your Instagram TBT today and decided to see if you had a race recap of this race. It sounds like a lot of fun. I love hearing that the parking closed at 6:15. That seems so late now for a Disney race.