Epcot Food and Wine Festival

by Meghann on October 10, 2009

Today I encouraged my inner foodie to live out her wildest dreams by attending Epcot’s 14th Annual Food & Wine Festival.

I ate, I drank and I had one amazing time! ;)

Last year was the first time I really understood the concept of what the Food & Wine Festival entails, but was unable to pull together the funds to attend. This year, however, I managed to play it smart by saving the free ticket I earned from volunteering at the Disney Marathon back in January for this very occasion.

That mixed with an extra ticket Derek and I received for participating in the Race for Taste tomorrow meant this was our year to see what all the fuss was about.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the event, Epcot’s Food & WIne Festival is a food, wine and beer focused event that takes over the world showcase every October. This year 27 countries littered the area offering samples of unique food and drinks native to their country.

Each country was set up in a booth and had a menu displayed out front to what they were offering.

Since this was Disney, you were sure to expect a line at each booth.

Needless to say this was not a cheap date by any means. Each plate was basically a sample with a couple of bites max per dish and ran anywhere between $2.50 and $5.00.

To save money and our waist lines Derek and I split almost everything you see in this post. :)

Derek and I weren’t the only ones enjoying the festivities. My parents had an extra day on some some old park hopper tickets so I encouraged them to join us. This was their first Food & Wine Festival as well.

We arrived at Epcot right at lunch time and were ready and willing to get the day started with some great food!

First stop: Greece.

Derek and I ordered the Chicken Souvlaki

And Baklava.

Yum! We were actually desperately trying to find my parents at this point and I was STARVING. We kept walking by all these great smelling booths and I was starting to complain. After seeing the greek booth I made the executive decision to stop and let them find us because I wanted food. Totally worth me putting my foot down.

It was the perfect meal to start the day. :)

The next stop to catch my eyes was a beer themed booth titled The Brewer’s Collection, but it wasn’t the beer that caught my attention.

It was the Pretzel!

In a split second decision I ordered the Sausage as well.

Pretzel + Cheese + Sausage = Good eats. Total bar food and I loved it.

Among the countries a few American cities were represented as well. My Dad would not forgive us if we didn’t stop at New Orleans.

Chicken and Andoulle Gumbo

Praline Bread Pudding with Bourbon Carmel Sauce

Anyone else obsessed with bread pudding? My Mom referred to it as really soggy bread, but I am in love with it.

Dad and Derek chowing down.

I was really looking forward to the Boston booth and it’s wide selection of Sam Adam’s beers. Every year Sam Adams brews a special Food & Wine Festival Beer that is only served at the festival. After high recommendations I ordered a small.

It was ok. A little fruity for my taste. I drank about 3/4 and wouldn’t order it again.

At this point we were feeling a little full and took a break from eating to ride a few rides. Derek couldn’t remember if he had actually ever been to Epcot before or not so this was his time doing all the newer rides.

We also checked out a couple cooking demonstrations.

Sometime in there I had a glass of champagne.

I couldn’t resist sampling the refreshing bubbly I saw everyone else walking around with. ;)

When the skies started to turn pink we were ready and willing for round #2 of the showcase.

First stop? The Desserts & Champagne booth for Strawberry Shortcake of course.

Strawberry Shortcake is my favorite dessert in the whole wide world, but this was a little heavy on the cream for taste.

We headed to Buenos Aires for a Grilled Beef Skewer with Chimicurri Sauce and Boniato Puree.

This was a plate we saw others eating and had to stake it out for ourselves. The flavors were great, but the meat was very tough.

At Barcelona we ordered the Taste of SpainSerrano Ham, Chorizo, Manchego Olives, & Tomato Bread.

I loved this beautiful plate. So many great flavors going on here. This was one of my favorites.

I was really disappointed when nothing at the New Dahli menu struck out at me, but Bangkok did not disappoint.

Green Papaya Salad with Shrimp.

The shrimp was the winner in this dish.

Just when I thought I was done and finished, Derek suggest we order one of these in Germany.

How could I say no?

I managed to wash it all down with a Beck’s Octoberfest.

And last, but not least our Cookies & Cream Gelato from Italy to finish it all off.

I think its safe to say I was stuffed to the gils at this point. No, actually I take that back. It’s true I was full, but never did I feel uncomfortably full. I only had a few bites of each plate and that mixed with all the walking allowed me to practice moderation and balance in one day.

This was a very indulgent day, but I wouldn’t go back and change a thing. I had fun and I ate a lot of good food. I couldn’t ask for anything better. :)

Tomorrow Derek and I have a very early wake up call to make it back out to Disney for our 10k. We picked up our material this morning and Derek is a little nervous about the 15 minute per mile cut off. I told him he will be fine and I will be there to make sure of it.

We are going to practice the galloway method and I plan to push him as far as he will let me to make sure he crosses that finish line.

Wish us luck!!!

1 Julie October 10, 2009 at 10:21 pm

All that foods looks amazing! Pure foodie heaven.

Good luck tomorrow!! Don’t be nervous Derek, you will do great!

2 Kay October 10, 2009 at 10:40 pm

I share your love of anything pumpkin and always look forward to this time of year! Here’s something you might want to try so you’re not disappointed by TCBY. :)

3 Jenna October 10, 2009 at 10:41 pm

wow! looks like you had a great night with soo much great food :)
jenna

4 Rebeca October 10, 2009 at 10:45 pm

mmm yum!

have you been to raglan road in orlando? not the best food- good drinks though and THE BEST bread pudding ever they have this amazing vanilla cream they pour on at the table… it’s a must see when i’m in the area!

5 Simone @ P:T October 10, 2009 at 10:48 pm

YUMMMMMMM!

Sounds like a really fun day full of great food and great family! It looked like the baklava would of been my favorite. I love anything with honey flavor. ;) I cannot believe the 10k you and Derek are running together is already here. Doesn’t it feel like the past month or two have just flown by?! I am sure you are guna be a great motivator, but best of all a great team. You are a machine!!! Good luck! :)

6 Tay October 10, 2009 at 11:00 pm

That looks awesome!! So jealous.
Good luck tomorrow!!

7 alyssa October 10, 2009 at 11:05 pm

skinny mini! you look great! more people should live as happily as you do :)

8 Emily (Emily Ears and Exercises) October 10, 2009 at 11:10 pm

That’s quite an array of food! (and yes, I am obsessed with bread pudding.)
Good luck to Derick in the race!!! And you too of course.

9 chasingthenow October 10, 2009 at 11:39 pm

All those foods and drinks look awesome. I’ve only ever been to Epcot once, and I was too young to really appreciate it. I’d love to go back and visit some day!

10 Nicci@NIftyEats October 10, 2009 at 11:47 pm

Good Luck tomorrow guys. Now, that’s a great Food Fest!

11 Erin October 10, 2009 at 11:49 pm

Oh yum!! Love Epcot! I always leave uncomfortably full, so that’s very impressive that you guys were able to practice such good moderation!

Good luck on the 10K!! Tell Derek I know exactly how he feels – my first 10K is on Monday and I’m so super excited/nervous at the same time!! You’ll do great!

12 Morgan October 11, 2009 at 12:04 am

So fun! I went last year and had a blast. I was really impressed by it all.
Hope the run goes well in the morning!

13 angieinatlanta October 11, 2009 at 12:05 am

That seriously sounds like a dream Saturday to me!

Good luck to you and (especially) Derek tomorrow!

14 caitlin October 11, 2009 at 1:44 am

GOOD LUCK DEREK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

15 Jo October 11, 2009 at 3:14 am

Oh this brings back memories – we were on holiday in Orlando in 2005 and caught the food and wine festival while at Epcot. It was so much fun but I remember spending a lot of money!

16 peaceloverunning October 11, 2009 at 3:19 am

good luck to you both tomorrow :]

17 Kate October 11, 2009 at 3:28 am

Good luck!

18 Madelin October 11, 2009 at 5:40 am

Good luck tomorrow! Looks like you had some tasty eats today! Love food shows :)

19 talesfromtwocities October 11, 2009 at 5:55 am

Good luck today, I am running my first half marathon in Boston this morning!

20 sarah (ghost world) October 11, 2009 at 7:46 am

oh, that’s so cool! my husband is from FL and always talks about the international food options at EPCOT :) we are headed there this thanksgiving week and will be sure to check out germany! the pretzels/sausage/cheese combination would be right up his alley. spain looked wonderful, too!

21 Simply Life October 11, 2009 at 7:59 am

Too fun – that looks like a great time!

22 Niamh October 11, 2009 at 8:06 am

That looks so much fun. I love everything Disney. :)
x

23 Jessica October 11, 2009 at 8:41 am

OMG that all looks so delicious! Especially that bread pudding.

24 Niki October 11, 2009 at 8:50 am

That sounds so fun! Good luck in the 10k!

25 kristin October 11, 2009 at 8:51 am

sounds like a fun day! love your outfit too! good luck this morning!

26 Susan October 11, 2009 at 8:56 am

Ooh, I love how it has international themes! I probably would have spent the whole day at the German and Greek booths :)

Good luck on the 10k today!!!

27 Liam October 11, 2009 at 9:11 am

new DELHI, not dahli. seriously, spell check? do u know where it is and how to use it?

28 Mara @ What's For Dinner? October 11, 2009 at 9:11 am

Serrano ham is one of my favorite foods in the world. Good luck today!

29 Nicole October 11, 2009 at 9:20 am

It is so funny that you got a German sausage. I always thought that it was funny that the bun never fit the sausage, but they are soooo good! I always get them on road trips around Germany!

30 Danielle October 11, 2009 at 9:27 am

I’m sure that the race is over by this point, but I wanted to wish you guys good luck anyway!

Danielle

31 Lizzy October 11, 2009 at 9:58 am

What a fun day spent at epcot! i would love to one day experience this for myself! all your different tastes look super good, and i would have done the same thing! Good luck on your run, and i know that Derek will do awesome! Can’t wait for the re-cap

32 Evan Thomas October 11, 2009 at 10:34 am

Drinking at Disney World? And here I thought that was a no-no, haha

33 Tammy October 11, 2009 at 10:36 am

That looks like SO MUCH FUN! My husband and I went to Disney in May for our one-year anniversary, and a festival like this would have been right up our alley. The World Showcase is an amazing place to try new foods even without a festival — so what a great experience you must have had!

34 Andrea (Off Her Cork) October 11, 2009 at 11:43 am

Derek will rock the race! No worries! :D

35 mycupofteas October 11, 2009 at 12:11 pm

loving your outfit! Adorable! :)

36 Jess October 11, 2009 at 12:37 pm

I have ALWAYS wanted to go to the Food and Wine Festival. I live in NJ and am determined to make it there one year! Thanks for letting me live vicariously through you :) Also, that is so sweet of you to help Derek along in the race!

37 biz319 October 11, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Completely jealous of your day! My favorites? The pretzel and mustard and the Sam Adams.

By now you are probably done with the race – hopefully Derek made it!!!!

38 Maggie October 11, 2009 at 1:20 pm

I love Epcot! Soarin’ is my favorite ride :)

Mmm bread pudding. Yes, I adore it. And papaya salad always rocks my socks!

39 foodieinthecity October 11, 2009 at 1:32 pm

How fun!!! The bread pudding and shortcake look a-mazing.

By the way, I got a puppy/jack russell terrier puppy yesterday. I am now understanding your frustration with potty training. we have a LONG way to go with this little girl.

40 Kelly October 11, 2009 at 1:36 pm

Looks like the food and wine festival was fun! I can’t wait to read how Derek did on the 10k!

41 Liz October 11, 2009 at 2:41 pm

I loooovvvve baklava! That piece looks amazing, I am SO jealous ;)

42 Melissa October 11, 2009 at 4:56 pm

i love disney. thanks for sharing the awesome experience.

43 Jess (What's Normal, Anyways?) October 11, 2009 at 7:37 pm

I’m glad you guys had a great time! I’m going this Saturday-my 2nd F&W @ Epcot. I’m super lucky that a bunch of my friends are seasonal cast members (lifeguards) so we always get in free. It would be uber expensive otherwise. I don’t know how “normal” tourists do it! I’m so lucky to be a native Florida Gal with the hook up! Especially since I get perks at Sea World and Busch Gardens for being a teacher too!