more ยป" />

Mushroom Gravy

by Meghann on October 8, 2009

You’ll never guess what I had for dinner tonight…

Yep, more mushrooms. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Good thing I love Mushrooms! And good thing they’re almost all gone. ๐Ÿ˜‰

FYI: If my breakfast doesn’t incorporate yogurt, then you are almost guaranteed to see it as a snack later on in the afternoon.

I <3 Yogurt!

Tonight’s Mushroom Channel recipe pick was written by the lovely Jenna from Eat, Live, Run. Her Mushroom Gravy and Polenta recipe really stood out to me as something easy and delicious.

Of course, I didn’t have any polenta actually on hand, but the mushroom gravy made a great addition to some handy Baked Tofu.

I ditched the half and half the original recipe called for and added 1/2 a tablespoon of butter to give it a bit of a creamy touch. A little fresh basil sprinkled on top finished the dish off.

I was a little heavy handed on the pepper for the gravy besides that it was really tasty. I think next time I would cook the tofu in the gravy instead of baking it separately. ๐Ÿ™‚

To add a little green to my plate I had steamed Snap Peas on the side.

This afternoon my supervisor made a comment about my obsession with Pumpkin. I guess I may have mentioned my seasonal favorites once or twice.

Pumpkin Ice Cream – I <3 you so!!

Close Call…

The cars in front of me came to a sudden stop on my way home from work this evening. I followed suit and managed to break just in time, but when I looked into my rear view mirror I noticed the girl driving behind me wasn’t paying attention. In a matter of seconds I watched it click in her head as she was finally clued in. She turned her head, slammed her breaks and dodged my rear end by inches as she drove her car onto the sidewalk and into a bus stop bench.

At that moment the cars in front of me moved forward. I sat there stunned unsure what to do. Do I pull over and help her out? Do I apologize for having to stop suddenly? Should I tell her she needs to pay attention to the road? So I keep driving and act like nothing happened?

As the car behind me honked and waved his arms, I decided to drive on and head home. Luckily, my car was not damaged and the girl was already getting out of her car and looked freaked out, but fine.

I am thankful the girl dodged me, but I also feel guilty she sacrificed her own safety in the process. In those snap quick decisions we never truly know what is going to happen. I hope that girl was able to get her car back on the road and made it home safely.

Have you ever been in that situation before? Would you have stopped?

1 Emily October 8, 2009 at 9:33 pm

I have been in the same situation as the girl. I had my dog in my lap talking to my friend, who was in the car with me, and didn’t realize the vehicle in front of me was slowing down. Luckily I had amazing breaks and was unable to stop in time. I, of course, made a scene with squeeling breaks. I was so shaken up I had to pull over and let my friend drive!

Your dinner looks amazing. I’ve never been a huge fan of mushroom, but it still looks good, nonetheless! And I totally have that same carton of pumpkin ice cream in my fridge!

2 Tracey @ tropicalhappiness October 8, 2009 at 9:49 pm

Wow! What a horrible situation. I don’t think she sacrificed her own safety… I think that she could have gotten hurt if she hit your car OR the bus bench. Don’t feel guilty. That’s like survivor’s guilt, and you shouldn’t feel guilty for paying attention and not hitting the car in front of you (we should all be paying attention when we drive). You also shouldn’t feel guilty that she didn’t hit your car. It’s not great that her car got damaged, and you didn’t WISH that on her or MAKE her do it, so don’t feel like that! (Believe me, I’d feel the same way, but I am just saying this because you shouldn’t feel bad!!!!!!!)

3 angieinatlanta October 8, 2009 at 10:01 pm

Yikes! What a scary situation! I’m so glad you’re okay!

I honestly don’t think you could have done anything if you stopped, so don’t feel guilty. You saw her get out and you know she’s okay.

4 jennax12 October 8, 2009 at 10:12 pm

great mushroom gravy! i love how you can make pretty much anything out of anything! you rock girl.
and i totally agree with yogurt as well. i have one every morning!
i defintely do not think it was your fault, she should have been paying attention!
jenna

5 caitlin October 8, 2009 at 10:18 pm

i dont think you should feel guilty at all, but i think its always a good idea to get out and make sure someone is OK in an accident, regardless of whether you were involved! i think you prob just freaked. im sooo glad you werent hit!! ugh!

6 lauren (athlEAT) October 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm

oh man – those situations always freak me out. Lucky everyone was ok. I rearended a car when I first started driving (because I wasnt paying attention) and am lucky no one was hurt. It did make me a more cautious driver from that point on.

love mushrooms – the gravy sounds great!

7 lilveggiepatch October 8, 2009 at 10:22 pm

Scary! Definitely wasn’t your fault, but it’s probably a good idea just to make sure she’s okay… some injuries aren’t always apparent. Don’t think you were in the wrong,though ๐Ÿ™‚

8 The Foodie Diaries October 8, 2009 at 10:49 pm

Ah I have been in the same situation–in both positions! I didn’t pull over when I was in your situation because NYC drivers aren’t always so kind in letting you cross 2 lanes last minute–but I felt really guilty. I’m sure the girl is fine, and I’m glad you are!

9 biz319 October 8, 2009 at 11:50 pm

Wow, what a close call! Yep, been there, done that. I was crossing a busy intersection, thought I could make it across, and I couldn’t, then the car that would have hit me, ended up hitting the car behind me!

I stopped, took the blame, and paid for it in higher car insurance premiums for FIVE years!

10 erin October 8, 2009 at 11:50 pm

definitely would have stopped!

not that you did anything wrong in the accident, and not that you owed her your time, or that you SHOULD have stopped.. but still. she was just a young girl, made a mistake, and wrecked her car in the process of saving hers.

of course, she should have been paying attention and SHE is the reason her car is damaged. but i know i would appreciate a few kind words and just comfort from ANYBODY at that time. she knows she screwed up, and now she’s alone? sucks.

but – not your duty to stop. don’t feel any guilt about it. BUT, you asked – and i’m honest ๐Ÿ˜›

i LOVE mushrooms ps. just tossed in some salt and pepper, olive oil, and grilled on the george foreman. mmmm. i always do this before making a veggie ‘pizza’ or a quesadilla ๐Ÿ™‚

11 erin October 8, 2009 at 11:52 pm

process of saving yours * obv.

12 Meghan October 8, 2009 at 11:56 pm

I love, love, love portabello mushrooms and thought I would pass along one of my favorite ways to enjoy them. I grill the mushrooms and bread (lightly coated with EVOO). While they are grilling, I make a quick bruschetta (tomato, basil, EVOO, garlic salt, balsamic vinegar). I place the bruschetta, grilled bread and mushrooms on a bed of baby spinach – soooo good!

13 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) October 9, 2009 at 12:00 am

Ugh that’s scary! I’m not sure what I would have done.

14 chasingthenow October 9, 2009 at 12:26 am

Driving home from work this summer almost the same thing happened to me. You have to stop in the middle of the road and check for oncoming traffic before turning up the hill where we lived. But unfortunately the guy behind me wasn’t watching at all and didn’t see me stopped with my turn signal on. I saw him coming in the rear view mirror but didn’t know what to do. Lucky for me he realized a few seconds before he would have hit me what was happening and he steered off the road and into a big ditch. His van was messed up pretty bad but he was okay… I was really lucky he swerved because others who witnessed the accident said he was flying and might have killed me if he’d rear ended me! Scary!!!

15 Julia October 9, 2009 at 12:33 am

That mushroom gravy looks really yummy!
I HATE car accidents. I agree that it is always good to stop, but I can’t even imagine what I would have done in the same situation. Don’t feel bad, it definitely is not your fault!

16 Fallon October 9, 2009 at 1:13 am

Yikes glad to hear no major accident happen. Always a scary situation. I was in an accident once which was a lousy one. I was stopped at a red light and some idiot 2 cars behind me was driving 50+mph and didn’t realized we were all stopped at a red light.. He slammed into the car in front, that hit me and I hit the cab in front of me. No major damage and everyone was okay.. but damn it is scary!!!

17 kirt October 9, 2009 at 1:16 am

If its safe to stop and get out then absolutely check to see if they’re okay but in this situation its probably not a bad idea that you kept driving – the tool in the car behind may well have rammed you if you hadn’t!

I’m a long time reader-first time commenter and just wanted to say a big “wow!” to your creativity in the kitchen. Jeez, I think I’m being adventurous when I put sweet chilli sauce on boiled vegies!! haha

18 J @ Whole Body Love October 9, 2009 at 1:49 am

This sounds selfish, but the truth is: I would have stopped if I was certain that I would not be late for work or school.

19 Nicole October 9, 2009 at 2:04 am

This isn’t my own story and it’s a much bigger accident than hers, but when my friend was hit by a drunk driver and ejected from his car, a car that was nearly hit by the drunk driver stopped (in the car was two grandparents, their pregnant niece, and her fiance) and the pregnant lady jumped out of the car and laid down in the road with my friend and tried to comfort him until the ambulance came. I am so thankful for that woman being there for him when he needed someone. She is an angel!

For the accident that happened to that girl today, I’m not sure whether I would have stopped or not. I would probably go see if she was okay, but I think that when you’re so shaken up in the situation it’s more difficult to make a snap decision whether to stay or just go. You should not feel bad!

20 Diana October 9, 2009 at 2:09 am

I don’t drive so I have no idea what I would do in that situation. I’m actually thinking about getting my drivers’ license just because it’s so useful.

I love yogurt too! ๐Ÿ™‚

21 Apple Bottom Genes October 9, 2009 at 2:27 am

There is a Mushroom Festival in Madisonville, TX which is about 30 miles from me. You would love it! I want some of that Pumpkin Ice Cream so bad but I can’t find it.

I have had a similar experience. We were driving down a one way street (the right way) when a car comes driving the wrong way, forcing us to stop completely. It was rainy and the huge truck behind us couldn’t stop as quickly. We were rear ended and the truck we were in was totaled. I had to go to the emergency room and luckily was just fine. The car driving the wrong way narrowly dodged being involved and found his way to the right side of the road and did not stop at all. It still bothers me but that was a totally different situation than yours.

22 Jessica October 9, 2009 at 6:38 am

Great idea for mushroom gravy! I gotta give it a try.

23 carolinebee October 9, 2009 at 8:07 am

If she hit another car, I would have def stopped- to make sure the police or the other driver had me as a witness..but I think you were fine in driving away as long as she hit a bench, and didn’t seem to be going fast enough to get hurt. Glad she didn’t hit u!!

24 heypgh October 9, 2009 at 8:32 am

Unfortunately, I was in your position and the car behind me did not stop. Until it hit my car going 50+mph. I spent 3 days in the hospital! I saw the whole thing happen too – looked in my rearview mirror, realized the car was way too close, and then bam. Lots of people stopped at the scene and I was grateful for their kind words and concern.

Also, I am fine now! This was 5 years ago and most of my injuries were to my face – a few surgeries later and scars are minimal to nonexistent. I still sometimes get anxiety about being rear-ended or rear ending someone. Seems to never go away…

25 Lizzy October 9, 2009 at 8:37 am

i was just in this situation not to long ago. Its a tough call. i didn’t stop cause the accident ended up being pretty bad, and i had just missed getting hit by seconds! glad that your ok!

26 Amy October 9, 2009 at 8:50 am

Ahh! That is a scary situation– I’m glad you are okay!

27 Mica October 9, 2009 at 8:50 am

I wouldn’t worry about not stopping. It wasn’t your fault that she was being a distracted driver.

Ugh, close calls are always scary.

28 runningaroundnormal October 9, 2009 at 8:55 am

Don’t worry about not stopping. She would have wrecked her car no matter what – either into you or into the bench. What would stopping do anyway? It’s not like you had to trade information. The only benefit for her for you stopping would be to comfort her, but honestly that could apply to anyone who witnessed the wreck – not just you.

29 Cathy October 9, 2009 at 9:04 am

A little delayed, but as I was reading your post about your new scarf I was thinking that it really was very cute and looked very familiar… and then i looked down and realized i was wearing the same one from AE but in blue. So i must complement your taste in scarves, haha because clearly we’re on the same page. Unfortunately, I’m in school in Buffalo currently so scarves are not so much of an accessory as they are very necessary!

30 maggie October 9, 2009 at 9:17 am

I absolutely love pumpkin too, especially ice cream! you must try your pumpkin ice cream with a ginger snap or biscoff(sp?? the airplane cookies) or with pecans! it really makes the pumpkin sooooo goood, like pumkin pie! delish!

that dinner looks yummy! way to be creative with the mushrooms!

31 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) October 9, 2009 at 9:17 am

It depends I guess. If she was okay and getting out of her car, then there was no need to stop. Hopefully she learned a lesson and will pay more attention from now on. But I can see where you might be torn…I would just go with your instincts.

Now I want to try tofu with some sort of gravy, what a great idea! Thanks ๐Ÿ˜‰

32 Angie (Losing It and Loving It) October 9, 2009 at 9:50 am

I really need to get my email organized. I have 4 email accounts and they are a mess. Blah!

So glad to hear you weren’t hit by that gal. I would have pulled over and stopped to check on her if there was an opportunity. I had a horrible thought when you mentioned the bus stop bench. It could have been so much worse. Thankfully everything went OK.

LOVE mushrooms! Oh that dinner looks good.

33 Aggie October 9, 2009 at 9:54 am

That sounds scary, I hate close calls like that.

That mushroom gravy looks amazing!!

34 Bridget October 9, 2009 at 10:33 am

I am glad that you are okay. That’s so scary!

I want to make that gravy next week with students! ^_^

Same happened to me, in Orlando, on Lee Road! I pulled over–she hit a parked car HARD after grazing mine. The driver was a 15 year old girl who had taken her parent’s car without permission (and without a license). Some police officers witnessed it and took care of her (she was crying and screaming about a lawyer,etc). I was FURIOUS with her for being irresponsible. I was really just glad that she didn’t hurt anyone.

35 Lindsay @ bananaandchocolate October 9, 2009 at 11:14 am

I was in a similar situation but the car behind me actually hit me. Two days before my wedding. I think I scarred the 16 year old that hit me for life! Looking back, I wasn’t very nice but it was 2 days before my wedding. I had a lot to do!

36 Andee (Runtolive) October 9, 2009 at 12:21 pm

I also had the same problem when I bought one of those packages of portobellos at Costco. I made some delicious turkey burgers, but instead of using bread buns, I used one portobello cap for the bottom “bun” and topped it with the turkey burger and a slice of swiss cheese. I used the rest of the portobellos in a vegetarian lasagna, Mediterranean sandwich and more. It’s amazing how creative you have to get when you have an overabundance of one ingredients!

37 Jacqueline October 9, 2009 at 12:42 pm

I probably would have stopped just to make sure she was okay.

Dinner looks awesome as usual. I need to head over to the Mushroom website!