Working From Home

by Meghann on October 5, 2009

The non-ac situation at my office building continued to worsen all morning. My computer began to act as a personal heater and I think I was starting to smell from sweat. Actually, the whole office was starting to smell. Ewww….

Luckily my boss saved the day and told me to go home and work from there. She didn’t have to tell me twice! I was out of there faster then you could say heat wave.

So now I am enjoying the cool AC of my apartment while I type away on my couch. The plus side to working at home is just how much work I’ve actually been able to get done. I feel like there are less distractions in my apartment then at my desk. Who knew?

At Whole Foods on Friday I was excited to see the return of the Spooky Smores Z-Bars. I immediately purchased one and had it today on my way back home.

The 2008 version of the Spooky Smores Z-bar tasted remarkably similar to the Honey Graham Z-Bar. However, this year’s edition distinctly tastes like a smore!

There was the honey graham base with a chocolate swirl topping and tiny marshmellows interspersed in the filling. Yum!

Has anyone else noticed the difference? If not pick one up and let me know!

I zoned out in front of my computer compiling some research when all of a sudden it was almost 1:00! Time for lunch. :)

I really had no idea what I wanted, so I started throwing random items in a bowl until I got something that looked edible.

In to the bowl went:

• Broccoli Slaw
  • Tuna
  • Honey Mustard
  • Chevre Goat Cheese
  • Raisins
  • Basil
  • Spaghetti Squash Seeds
  • Banana Peppers
  • Tomato

Once you learn what flavors work well together, random bowls like these are very easy to throw together. I had no plan in mind at first, but once I finished I had no doubt this would be delicious and it was!

I really liked using the soft goat cheese as a mixer and as always the raisins added a sweet touch. I’ve really been on a raisin kick lately, but they seriously work in almost anything.

I had the last of a bag of Kashi Honey Crackers on the side for salad dipping.

Operation Beautiful the Book…

Want to be a part of the nation’s next best seller? Well, here’s your chance!

Caitlin just announced a call for submissions for the Official Operation Beautiful book. She is looking for 125 notes and/or stories to be included in the book, which will be published in Fall 2010 by Gotham Books.

Head over to her blog now for details!

1 Emily @ My Chubby Confessions October 5, 2009 at 2:06 pm

I wish I could throw together a “kitchen sink” meal, but I typically don’t have much luck with that LOL!

Glad you got to go home!! =]

2 Liam October 5, 2009 at 2:09 pm

Chèvre means “goat”, so when you write “chèvre goat cheese”, you just wrote “goat goat cheese”

FYI

3 Amanda October 5, 2009 at 2:18 pm

I just purchased the Spooky S’more zbar yesterday and I think its very tasty!

You have a very nice boss! Mine has been known to make us stay put regardless of no A/C or heat!

4 Ali October 5, 2009 at 2:21 pm

Thank goodness they let you work from home! I am sure that Maddie is excited about that :)

Lunch looks good. I make salads like that all the time, great way to use up leftovers!

5 greenbean October 5, 2009 at 2:34 pm

just picked up a huge-o bag of honey crisps at TJs for $3.99. i’d guess it’s about 3 to 5 lbs.

6 Tracey @ tropicalhappiness October 5, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Glad you didn’t have to stay in the smelly office!! LOL! I usually get A LOT done when I work from home. And it also gives you a little time back in the afternoon. If you normally finish work at 5 pm, and then have to drive 30 min home, you’re not home until 5:30. But when you work from home, you can still wrap up at 5, and you’re already home and ready to get on with your evening! Love it!

7 Jessica October 5, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Looks like a great salad!

8 courtlove111 October 5, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Random bowls of goodies are my fave!! Sometimes I like hot bowls, sometimes cold. Glad you were able to get some relief and some AC!!
Courtney
Adventures in Tri-ing

9 Brandi October 5, 2009 at 3:22 pm

i end up eating lunch later at home, too! I just get in a rhythm and don’t really notice the time.

glad you were able to get out of the hot building!

10 julia October 5, 2009 at 3:26 pm

I just recently discovered that those zbars are the perfect snack! Blueberry is my favorite but s’mores looks so good! I will keep an eye out for it.

11 Maggie October 5, 2009 at 3:32 pm

Ahh I wish I had your problem… my house is freezing!

12 Monica C. October 5, 2009 at 3:37 pm

I find it amazing that you just throw these healthy concoctions together. When I am starving, I reach for cookies, crackers, anything that’s going to give me quick satisfaction. I am lucky that I don’t have a weight problem, but I still want to eat healthier. I keep reading your blog in the hopes that I can one day make better choices!

13 Diana October 5, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Glad you could go home. It must be much better. :)

14 Anne P October 5, 2009 at 3:51 pm

Oooo SPOOKY SMORES!!! I’ve been wanting to try those! Must find…

15 Leah October 5, 2009 at 4:14 pm

I would love to work from home! Somehow I don’t think teaching 30 children would work that easily from my couch :)

Enjoy the rest of your day!

16 Anne Marie@ New Weigh of Life October 5, 2009 at 4:14 pm

While you are over there enjoying your AC, I’m over in PA with the heat on in my office. It’s freezing in here!

17 Mellissa October 5, 2009 at 4:15 pm

I find that I get so much more done when working from home! No distractions, I can just sit and work.

18 Evan Thomas October 5, 2009 at 4:21 pm

I never had last years, but I really do think this year’s is great. I get the graham base, but then there’s the white chocolate chunks to bring in the vanilla, and the chocolate coating melts after everything else giving sort of an afterflavor. Love it!

19 Emily October 5, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Yay for getting to go home!

20 Whit October 5, 2009 at 4:41 pm

I looked for that bar Saturday at Trader Joes and could not find it. :( I don’t give up easily, so I hope to find one soon!

21 Peanut Butter Bliss October 5, 2009 at 4:44 pm

I actually thought the S’mores zBar doesn’t taste that good this year…a little like the chocolate chip but not as good. Maybe I am remembering it differently?

22 Brie (The Fit Bride) October 5, 2009 at 4:48 pm

I will have to check out the 2009 S’mores flavor. I liked 2008 quite a bit, so I’m interested to see how it’s different this year.

Bonus about Zbars: you can leave them in your hot car console for months and they will still taste great. They’re pretty indestructible.

23 Nicci@NiftyEats October 5, 2009 at 4:49 pm

When you throw things together, the bestmeals come out, I’m still wishing for a athome job but as an Exec. Admin Assist. I don’t it would work out. lol YEA, for non-sweat while working.

24 Abby (Abby's VeGaN Eats) October 5, 2009 at 4:55 pm

Thats exactly what I did for din.. throw anything I can find together! Looks lovely!! :)

25 Jenna October 5, 2009 at 5:06 pm

i really wanna try the spooky smores z bar :)
jenna

26 Lizzy October 5, 2009 at 5:25 pm

an everything but the kitchen sink bowl’s are amazing aren’t they!? so glad that you’ve been able to get alot done at home! thats awesome

27 Melissa S. October 5, 2009 at 6:11 pm

ew, hot offices are no fun!!! glad you got to go home!

and i saw that zbar at WF this weekend, but i forgot to grab it; dangit! next time…whenever that is!

28 Matt October 5, 2009 at 6:18 pm

Glad you got to go home!

29 angieinatlanta October 5, 2009 at 6:29 pm

I’ve got to find those spooky s’mores bars! I can tell by your picture that they are definitely different than last year’s! And they look fantastic! Love those marshmallow bits!

30 amanda @ fake ginger October 5, 2009 at 7:01 pm

That Z bar looks fabulous! I’ve never tried them but I’m definitely going to be on the lookout for that flavor. Yum!

31 runningaroundnormal October 5, 2009 at 8:24 pm

Glad your Monday turned around for you :) Yay for working from home!

32 traveleatlove October 5, 2009 at 8:33 pm

Most of my meals are random stuff tossed together and taste great! My hubs is always amazed that I have an eye errr a taste for stuff like that!

33 Tay October 5, 2009 at 10:37 pm

You’re so damn creative it kills me! haha. I’ve been looking for the spooky bar all over – guess I’ll be checking out Whole Foods while I’m home!

34 Kristin October 5, 2009 at 10:40 pm

I just bought that spooky s’mores z-bar to try! excited!!

xo
K

35 caronae October 5, 2009 at 11:36 pm

I can’t wait to try that z-bar! I love holiday/special edition foods!

36 Tasha October 5, 2009 at 11:40 pm

Salad looks delish! And thank goodness for laptops and working at home! :)

37 Julia October 6, 2009 at 1:52 am

So glad your day perked up! That salad looks awesome! I was so disappointed, on my trip to WF”s on Saturday they didn’t have the spooky smore’s z bars, now I’m on a mission to find them and pumpkin stonyfield yogurt!

38 Tina October 6, 2009 at 9:10 am

I agree with the raisin thing. I made a tuna salad last week and added some sliced grapes and it totally completed the dish!

I’m so excited to try these zbars! I do remember them not tasting very s’mores-like last year.

39 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) October 8, 2009 at 10:52 am

Spooky S’mores is back, yay! It took me forever to find it last year so hopefully it will be easier this time around now that I know who carries it. :)