Rest Day and My First SIAB

by Meghann on October 2, 2009

I have never been more happy to say that Yes, it is finally Friday. :) You have no idea how ready I am for the weekend.

Fridays are great because not only am I one step closer to two splendid days away from my cubicle, BUT in my marathon plan they also mean rest days.

This morning I slept in 30 minutes later then normal and spent 45 minutes practicing yoga and pilates in my living room. It felt great to stretch my body while strengthening my core.

I feel I need to address a comment I received on Monday in which someone asked whether I believed doing a work out on my rest days was really beneficial in the long run and I have to say ‘Yes, I do.’ I love to wake up to some movement so days that I am not running during my marathon training I plan to either cross train with weights or get a good stretch through yoga.

Last month Runner’s World had a great article inside entitled ‘Your Best Rest’ covering the idea of active rest days. It encourages getting off the couch on your ‘recovery days’ and performing light exercises to keep the blood flowing. You want to keep the muscles loose and ready to go when you plan to run again, but also giving them a rest from the pounding of the pavement. The article suggests easy cross training, yoga, eating smart, massages and turning in early on rest days.

Angela wrote a great post referencing the article and her views on rest days. I would suggest popping in and reading her post as our approaches to rest days differ. While I can’t sit still for the life of me, she enjoys her couch time. Which I believe goes to show you there are NO Right or Wrong answers here.

Oh wait, there is a right answer… listen to your body!

If my body is beyond exhausted and not willing to do a thing, then damn it I listen to it and sit my butt on the couch. But if its healthy and happy then I enjoy my active rest days and fit in the weights and yoga I am unable to find time for on my running days. :)

Now on to breakfast.

IMG_2845

Kath’s idea of a Smoothie in a Bowl (SIAB) looked pretty genius to me, so of course I had to replicate this one my self.

This morning I got out my blender and created a very simple smoothie of

• Frozen fruit mix
  • Fat Free Milk
  • 1/2 a packet of orginal Amazing Grass

I heard the original Amazing Grass can be a bit potent and I am happy to report the 1/2 packet approach was the perfect amount.

IMG_2842

The smoothie went in a bowl rather then a cup and was topped with Granola, Awesome Almonds and Almond Butter.

IMG_2847

Eating the smoothie in the bowl felt perfectly normal. In fact it almost made it more filling then drinking it from a cup. The spoon forced me to eat the smoothie slowly instead of sucking the whole thing uncontrollably from a straw in 2 minutes flat.

I also enjoyed the crunch and variety of the toppings. The SIAB concept is another KERF winner!

Time to get my Friday on!

1 Tina October 2, 2009 at 9:06 am

Mmmm, looks good! Unfortunately it’s too cold for me to have any more chilly breakfasts! Lucky you, living in Florida!!

2 greensandjeans October 2, 2009 at 9:17 am

The wise people at Runners World are so right. I’ve been using my rest days as a stretch day and it has really helped my body loosen up. Having one day a week devoted to stretching has also helped remind me to do little stretch sessions the rest of the week as well! Random question, I am in the market for a new blender, what type do you use?

3 Samantha October 2, 2009 at 9:23 am

Smoothie in a bowl? Something I will definitely have to try!! I vote active rest days with some yoga and stretching. Makes me feel so much better!

4 Leianna October 2, 2009 at 9:27 am

Happy Friday, smoothis in a bowl looks great, I need to try that!

5 Jenna October 2, 2009 at 9:28 am

SIAB looks delish!
jenna

6 K October 2, 2009 at 9:36 am

I agree. Active rest days with stretching and light weight lifting is a great idea. I

don’t consider doing Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones as a “rest” day though, like you did on Monday.

Smoothie in a bowl looks yummy!

7 Jessica October 2, 2009 at 9:41 am

Ohmigosh your SIAB looks so good! I need some movement everyday..or else I just feel like garbage.

8 Runeatrepeat October 2, 2009 at 9:43 am

I never make enough time to stretch after running during the week. Once I get back from a run I need to hop in the shower and get ready to go. I love taking some time on my rest days to stretch out and do some core work. I agree with doing something like yoga on a rest day to stay loose.

9 Sara October 2, 2009 at 9:45 am

I always make my rest days active. Especially after really hard runs, it really helps loosen my muscles, so that I recover faster!!

10 Neely October 2, 2009 at 10:01 am

I gotta say, I love having at least one day a week where I do absolutely nothing but chill. Feels great.

11 Kristine October 2, 2009 at 10:10 am

hmm I need to get a blender so I can make that SIAB! It looks delish!

12 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) October 2, 2009 at 10:21 am

I am a big fan of listening to your body. I take frequent rest days, but I also lift pretty heavy weights, so my rest days tend to be filled with walks instead of lifting, or short runs just to get the blood flowing. I like getting up and getting moving!

13 Anne Marie@ New Weigh of Life October 2, 2009 at 10:27 am

I have a smoothie every day, but the thought of eating it from a spoon is definitely interesting!

14 courtlove111 October 2, 2009 at 10:35 am

I agree about active rest days…I think it is important to listen to your body and MOVE it if it feels good. If it hurts, then don’t! Rest days are important in any workout plan, as well as stretching and strength training. I like to play tennis on my rest days sometimes because to me that feels like fun, not a workout.
Courtney
Adventures in Tri-ing

15 Tracey @ tropicalhappiness October 2, 2009 at 10:36 am

I love that Maddie goes to puppy class!!!!!!!!!!! I htink it is great that you are putting in the effort to train her properly– it will make her so much happier in the long run to be able to understand what you want (sit, stay, lay down, leave it, etc) and do what you want her to do. Dogs want to please their owners, but a lot of time owners don’t teach them how to accomplish what they want. And it looks like she loves class! Fun fun!
I agree with rest days… although I have an occasional rest day where I do nothing, it’s nice to get your blood flowing and stretch.

16 Erica October 2, 2009 at 10:40 am

Totally agree with your thoughts about movement on rest days- ESPECIALLY yoga. I feel like it really helps my body recover from running. I do think its good to take an off off day every once in a while though. I am thinking mine will be this Sunday. I need a full day of vegging. That SIAB looks yummy.

17 amanda @ fake ginger October 2, 2009 at 10:46 am

Yum! Your SIAB looks delicious! I’ll have to try that one day.

18 Kath October 2, 2009 at 11:00 am

Yay SIAB!!!!

I totally agree about active rest :)

19 Julia October 2, 2009 at 11:26 am

I’ve never really thought about what to do on my rest days, but I really like your idea of doing something light. I always feel very “stale” after a rest day, so maybe I’ll start trying your method.
That SIAB looks very yummy!

20 Matt October 2, 2009 at 11:27 am

My rest days are really low key. The most I will do is a weights and core workout. I don’t take rest days often so it is nice to just do nothing. You totally hit the nail on the head; everyone is different. Do what works for YOU.

21 Biz October 2, 2009 at 11:29 am

I agree, just listen to your body. Happy Friday Meghann! :D

22 Laura October 2, 2009 at 11:33 am

Looks like a winner to me!

~Laura
Backstage Pass to Health & Happiness
LauraMKE.blogspot.com

23 CJ (Project55) October 2, 2009 at 11:36 am

Did you follow any kind of plan pre-marathon training?

I may or may not be running a marathon in April depending on if i get through the ballot. I just ran a half-marathon last weekend so don’t want to lose any running ability but work best following a schedule – any suggestions?

- CJ

24 Nicci@NiftyEats October 2, 2009 at 11:41 am

SIAB is a great concept, I tend to fill up on my smoothies but I think I do drink them too fast.

25 Lindsay @ bananaandchocolate October 2, 2009 at 11:58 am

That looks really good. I always suck up my smoothies really fast so this might be a good thing for me to try!

26 Evan Thomas October 2, 2009 at 12:32 pm

SIAB sound appealing. i wish I had something to blend with in my dorm

27 Maggie October 2, 2009 at 12:59 pm

I just wrote a post about this kind of thing… I agree, I don’t really ever do rest days. Admittedly, I don’t train like you do, but I did a count of my rest days this year (7) and they were all because I was sick, not because I was taking an intentional rest day. I think if you train properly you can absolutely do a lighter workout (yoga/pilates) on a rest day.

28 Diana October 2, 2009 at 4:43 pm

It does sound really good! I have to replicate that too. ;)
Also, I think it’s great that you do yoga on your rest day. I never tried doing yoga, maybe someday. :)

29 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2009 at 10:32 pm

Its funny after I read that article I tried the active recovery (walking) and I loved it. I couldnt believe the difference walking for 30 mins. did for my tight legs! I am a convert!

With that being said, there will still be days where I do nothing and that is fine by me. It is the same thing as not eating 100% healthy…there is room for times that may not be the best decision health wise and that is cool too!

Thanks for mentioning my article :) I love that you do pilates and yoga…I really need to get back into that.