Picture Texts Come in Handy

by Meghann on October 2, 2009

This morning my supervisor’s son sent her a picture text of his current view of the Boston skyline on a ferry ride he was taking. The photo was breath taking and my supervisor was smiling from ear to ear – happy that technology allows her to have a little part in her 15 year old’s Boston adventures with his Dad, while she sits in her cubicle.

This moment reminded me of when I was meeting my family at Mallory Square in Key West and my twin bro texted a picture of my Mom standing under the Mallory Square signed saying ‘We are here.’ Once I made it to Mallory Square I was then able to locate that specific sign and easily locate them. Just another example of how cool technology and picture messaging is!

I really need to take advantage of my cool new phone and unlimited texts plan. I feel like I’ve been holding back now.

Are you a pictures text fanatic? What do you think of the technology?

After breakfast I had a really strange desire for chocolate, so I decided to incorporate it in my mid-morning snack.

IMG_2850

This random trail mix contained

• Peanuts
  • Oatmeal Quaker Squares
  • Awesome Almonds
  • Raisins
  • Spaghetti Squash Seeds
  • TJs Mini Peanut Butter Cups

There was only a teeny bit of each component and when they all combined in my mouth it was very delightful. :

Lunch today was sadly very veggie-less – I seem to be running low.

IMG_2852

My very brittle whole wheat pita was stuffed with

• Goat Cheese
  • BBQ Tempeh
  • Chick Peas
  • Spinach
  • Banana Peppers

The pita was on its last leg and crumbled in my hands as I ate it. Still tasted good though. 😉

IMG_2853

On the side some Blue Corn Chips with Salsa.

IMG_2859

A pretty standard meal, but it did the trick.

Reader Help…

Yesterday I received an e-mail from a reader who is handicapped with her ending only about two inches below her elbow. She is very healthy and loves to stay active by jogging on the treadmill or lifting weights with her good arm. But is getting a little bored with such limited options.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for fitness routines, books or DVD that do not require the use of both hands?

1 caitlin October 2, 2009 at 1:49 pm

hmmm what about kickboxing? she could still jab with both arms, which would work her shoulders!

2 courtlove111 October 2, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Dance party in her living room! Dancing is a great exercise for your whole body…just put on the music and shake it!! Or Zumba class…

BTW, my parents both got iphones when they retired and learned how to text. I now get texts about every 2 hours with their updates!!! LOL

Courtney
Adventures in Tri-ing

3 Errign October 2, 2009 at 1:57 pm

what about zumba?! SO. MUCH. FUN. and a great workout!

4 Anne P October 2, 2009 at 2:02 pm

My mom has gotten into picture texts too 🙂 It’s so fun!

Thanks again for your help this morning with my new blog and twitter 🙂 It’s already totally addicting!!!

5 Jessica October 2, 2009 at 2:19 pm

Aqua jogging is a GREAT way to get your heart rate up with minimal impact on your body. You definitely don’t need both hands to do it. Here is a post I wrote on my site with some details, but feel free to email me for specific workouts/ideas if need be, thanks!

6 caronae October 2, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Dancing! All kinds of dance can be suited to your body’s unique needs, so it should work well for her!

7 nyugradhalls October 2, 2009 at 2:26 pm

I was also going to suggest dance, like zumba or masala bhangra, or maybe step class

8 Rachael October 2, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Along the same lines as Zumba, TurboJam/TurboKick are GREAT workouts.

9 Evan Thomas October 2, 2009 at 3:09 pm

I love TJ’s mini peanut butter cups. Perfect for ice cream topping, too 🙂

10 Jessica October 2, 2009 at 3:11 pm

I looove picture texts! 🙂 I live for ’em! I am a les mills bodyjam instructor and it is fab! That may be an option?

11 Lindsay @ bananaandchocolate October 2, 2009 at 3:24 pm

I have a few friends who send tons of picture texts. Some of them are cute but I think they over use them. I do like getting pictures of my dogs throughout the day from my husband. For stuff like that I love them!

12 MelissaNibbles October 2, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Zumba classes are fun. She should see if they’re offered in her area.

13 Julie October 2, 2009 at 3:29 pm

I’ll chime in with another zumba!

14 Dori October 2, 2009 at 3:29 pm

She should get a rebounder. They come with fun DVDs are she can jump anytime she wants. I just got one for my home.

15 Erika October 2, 2009 at 3:54 pm

My friend has one arm and she’s a tri-athlete. So, running, swimming and biking.

16 Lauren October 2, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Like, Jessica, I was also going to suggest water jogging! Low impact on all of your joints, but gives your muscles some serious burn! A recumbent bike is also a good option. And what about ice-skating and rollerblading…both can be done either indoor or outdoor depending on where you live, and the season!

17 runeatrepeat October 2, 2009 at 4:19 pm

Dance parties in private are fun – and a good way to practice your moves :)!

What about spinning?

18 risrocksout October 2, 2009 at 4:20 pm

TJ’s mini PB cups are SO addicting!
the pita sounds great – i feel like mine always fall apart too, and I usually just end up eating them like ‘soft nachos’ – delicious, but sandwich fail!

19 Leila October 2, 2009 at 4:32 pm

I agree with everyone with the turbo jam, there’s also taebo. Also spinning; there is an amazing athlete of a woman at my gym who only has one arm and blows the bike away every spinning class.

Step is also a great alternative for cardio.

20 Kristilyn (singer-songwriter) October 2, 2009 at 4:54 pm

The dance party suggestion was great! LOL!

What about a recumbant bike? Or even a portable stepper?

K

21 chandra October 2, 2009 at 5:08 pm

I LOVE turbo jam and think that would be a good option! Or any kind of kickboxing/dancing type workout. (if by chance she is curious about TJ and does not want to make a commitment to buy the dvds I would be willing to send one or two dvds for a trial as well)

22 Matt October 2, 2009 at 5:33 pm

I am a texting fanactic for sure. I remember one month I went like 100 bucks over and my dad finally decided to upgrade to the unlimited plan 😉

23 RunToTheFinish October 2, 2009 at 6:08 pm

i feel horribly out dated by saying I don’t really text pictures

24 Brie (The Fit Bride) October 2, 2009 at 6:40 pm

What about swimming? Kick drills are great exercise–grab a kickboard with her good arm and kick across the pool. I also love step aerobics and spinning, both of which I think could be done fairly well in her situation.

25 soupoflife October 2, 2009 at 7:50 pm

Your choc combo looks delicious.

I have a Pilates-In-A-Box thingy I got from Chapters that is amazing. There are a bunch of cards/pages that show you how to modify the exercises/positions depending on your needs.

Another fan of the blue tortilla chips. PC’s Blue Menu ones are so yum.

26 angieinatlanta October 2, 2009 at 8:30 pm

I adore technology; I don’t know what I would do without my iPhone!

What about Zumba?

27 Jenna October 2, 2009 at 8:43 pm

i am obsessed with texting and i must say i love technology! i don’t know where i would be without it! it is simply amazing 🙂
jenna

28 sue October 2, 2009 at 10:03 pm

i love pic messages…they are so fun. my bf alwys sends me pics of his meals when i’m away so i don’t have to worry that he’s surviving on dry cereal.

29 greensandjeans October 2, 2009 at 10:07 pm

I’d definitely ditto spinning. Just thinking about the core workout she’d get makes my abs sore!

30 Morgan @ Life After Bagels October 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm

I stink at technology, I do not even know how to use my ipod!

31 Lizzy October 3, 2009 at 12:07 am

technology is amazing these days, and i really love that it allows us to stay connected to our loved ones that we might not be able to see all the time! 🙂 take advantage girl!

{ 1 trackback }