more ยป" />

Retro Spaghetti Squash Pancakes

by Meghann on October 1, 2009

I took the plunge this afternoon and finally decided to try the plain ole Amazing Grass Superfood Bar. I’ve tried the chocolate version before and enjoyed it, but the bar sans chocolate kind of scared me.

With out the chocolate coating, the bar is exactly like a Larabar. I was afraid the date taste would be too strong, but it was surprisingly mellow. The grassy component actually hid the over all sweetness of the dates. I am happy to admit the bar wasn’t bad at all. It’s very filling and I would have no problem eating it again. ๐Ÿ™‚

Just goes to show, you never know if you really like or dislike something until you actually try it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

For dinner tonight I had to dig into my own archives and re-discovered my recipe for Spaghetti Squash Pancakes I made last December.

I purchased a spaghetti squash the other week and this recipe has been on my mind ever since. I did tweak it a bit with what I had on hand.

• 1/2 Spaghetti Squash
  • 1/3 cup Egg Whites
  • 2 Whole Eggs
  • 1/3 cup Whole Wheat Flour
  • Cilantro
  • Chopped Jalapeno
  • Minced Garlic
  • S&P

The combination made two large pancakes.

I topped tonight’s serving with Black Beans, Spinach, Salsa, and a handful of the spaghetti squash seeds I baked in the oven just as I would pumpkin seeds.

The Spanish themed spaghetti squash was amazing! Yum! Can’t believe it’s been so long since I’ve had. I do have another pancake chilling in the fridge so I promise you will be seeing this agin in the very near future.

Tonight Maddie had her THIRD puppy training class and I have to admit I am very proud of her. We learned to walk on a loose leash with an automatic sit, how to ‘leave it’ and ‘take it’ and how to lay down. She also had plenty of play time.

We have a lot to work on, but I’m happy with the progress!

After class I had a Strawberry So Delicious Fruit Bar.

Maddie is pooped from class! I’m going to take advantage of her state of submissiveness for some cuddling. I encourage everyone to do the same.

Good Night!

1 Courtney October 1, 2009 at 9:12 pm

I currently have one dog on my lap, and two at my feet! It is thundering here…all of a sudden they all want mommy!! :>

Thanks for that spaghetti squash pancake recipe..I have a huge container in my fridge staring at me…now I know what I’m making with it!!

Courtney
Adventures in Tri-ing

2 angieinatlanta October 1, 2009 at 9:20 pm

Awesome dinner idea! I love spaghetti squash and I’m always making it the exact same way ’cause I can’t think of anything else to do with it! Pancakes sound fun!

3 inmytummy October 1, 2009 at 9:25 pm

That spaghetti squash pancake looks delicious.

4 Jenna October 1, 2009 at 9:26 pm

love that recipe for dinner meghann!
jenna

5 Leianna October 1, 2009 at 9:41 pm

Never tried spaghetti squash, but the pancake version looks really good.
I have some of those green superfood bars coming in the mail for me and glad you liked them and hope I do to

6 kmnoon October 1, 2009 at 9:50 pm

Oh I wish I would’ve had this recipe a few weeks ago!! I bought a spaghetti squash, and tried it baked with olive oil and s&p. didn’t like the texture, but couldn’t find a recipe that sounded good to use the leftovers for. They ended up in the trash ๐Ÿ™

7 Jessica October 1, 2009 at 9:52 pm

I’m loving the puppy play action shot! So cute!

8 megzzwinsatlife October 1, 2009 at 9:54 pm

dinner looked great meghann… Maddie looks soo cute playing with the other puppy!!

9 Spotty Prep October 1, 2009 at 10:13 pm

The seeds are a nice touch ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m cuddling with my pup right now!

10 greensandjeans October 1, 2009 at 10:23 pm

Those pancakes look great! Spaghetti squash is one of my fall staples!

11 Amy October 1, 2009 at 10:28 pm

Isn’t puppy training sooooo rewarding?

I beam with pride when Jersey behaves, best feeling ever!

12 Lizzy October 1, 2009 at 10:28 pm

i have a spaghetti squash sitting in my kitchen, and i think i’m going to try this recipe out! looks awesome!!!!

congrats to little maddie! she is such a super star! ๐Ÿ™‚

13 Lori Z. October 1, 2009 at 10:34 pm

What a great idea with the spaghetti squash. I just bought one and will have to give that a try. I never thought about roasting the seeds either.

14 Susan October 1, 2009 at 10:39 pm

I love going back and seeing things I used to make, good for ideas sometimes! That’s an awesome use for spaghetti squash!

15 gfreeandhealthy October 1, 2009 at 10:51 pm

That’s so funny. I made spaghetti squash last night, and asked on my blog if you could use the seeds. I see that you do, so the next time I make a spaghetti squash I am going to bake the seeds. I felt like it was such a waste throwing them all out. Thanks for the tip. I’ll have to try your pancakes the next time I make a spaghetti squash.

16 J @ Whole Body Love October 1, 2009 at 10:53 pm

I love that you’re such a proud puppy-mama! Good job, Maddie!

17 Brie (The Fit Bride) October 1, 2009 at 11:17 pm

But the real question: what did Derek eat today? ๐Ÿ™‚

18 sue October 1, 2009 at 11:20 pm

aww i wish i had a maddie to cuddle with!

19 Molls October 1, 2009 at 11:36 pm

oh that pancake sounds horribly delicious! yum girl

20 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) October 1, 2009 at 11:55 pm

that pancake looks fabulous. Right now I am taking advantage of a cuddly, playful kitty before bed – it’s super nice!

21 Katie Davis October 2, 2009 at 12:34 am

Of the foodie blogs I read I have noticed you are one of the few with a regular 9-5 type of job. Well I have been interning lately at a regular job, and although I am only there one day a week I have noticed that cake and cookies, catered lunches, etc. have been the norm. I have noticed the pressure to participate in the eating fests and I know that once I am in this world on a regular basis the harder it will be. How do overcome these instances or politely decline without getting ridiculed? I know many make comments because they want someone to take part in the bad habit with them, I am just curious if you have found better ways to handle it than I have, which today was joining in on cheese fries and burgers ๐Ÿ™

22 Meghann October 2, 2009 at 6:00 am

All of my co-workers know up front what my eating habits are. They’ve gotten so used to me turning down all the office treats, that they don’t even bother anymore. I’ve honestly learned to zone it out and if I get an e-mail that there are donuts in the kitchen then I simply don’t go anywhere near the kitchen. If we have a catered lunch that I know won’t do my hips any justice then I bring my own lunch. I guess I havejust developed a very strong will over the last couples of years. THough I do admit that every once in a while the office provides something sso great that I have to have a tiny bite.

23 Laura October 2, 2009 at 1:15 am

Maddie is such a good puppy! LOL my dog is 6… think I can get her to learn some new good behavior tricks?

New post… ROCKtober begins! Plus dumplings.

24 Courtney October 2, 2009 at 2:34 am

Wow, this idea with spaghetti squash was so great! ๐Ÿ˜€

25 Diana October 2, 2009 at 3:49 am

That dinner looks really good. ๐Ÿ™‚

26 Mica October 2, 2009 at 7:19 am

I don’t have a Maddie (or any dog) for cuddling. Soooo sad. ๐Ÿ™

27 Danielle October 2, 2009 at 8:37 am

What a creative dinner, it sounds really good.
Maddie is just too cute ๐Ÿ™‚

28 Katrina (gluten free gidget) October 2, 2009 at 8:57 am

Cool! I’m going to have to try this!

29 brandi October 2, 2009 at 9:55 am

I’m glad the puppy classes are going well!

I was wondering about that non-chocolate bar – glad to hear you liked it!

30 DiningAndDishing October 2, 2009 at 11:14 am

I made my first spaghetti squash last night, but served it more like traditional spaghetti. I love pancakes and love squash so I’m thinking I might like this combo a lot! Thanks for sharing.

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

31 Aggie October 4, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Love spaghetti squash and can’t wait to try that pancake!