more ยป" />

Tweeting for Advice

by Meghann on September 30, 2009

This afternoon I was working away at my computer when it hit me that I had no clue what to make for dinner. My creativity was no where to be found and none of my ideas sounded appealing.

I knew I had these ingredients waiting for my fridge. They needed to be eaten today or thrown away.

1/2 an Eggplant, Cherry Tomatoes, Mushrooms & 1/2 can of Chickpeas

I immediately turned to Twitter for advice and was bombarded by tons of tweets with great ideas. Got to love technology!

Here are some of the replies:

• @TadorTott Eggplant lasagna or parmesan
  • @Lowandbhold check out The Life of Mrs. LC’s blog she had a great vegan eggplant roll up recipe on there recently that looked awesome
  • @bamarunner Eggplant Parm?
  • @SFBethT have you ever made moussaka? or pasta alla norma
  • @MissyRayn Broil it with balsamic and olive oil and some tomatoes and then stack it with fresh basil and mozzarella
  • @juliannem ratatouille!
  • @runeatrepeat love garlic eggplant from chinese restaurants. I make it at home with my own sauce
  • @balanceblog Bake it! egg wash and bread crumbs. ๐Ÿ™‚
  • @eatsleeplaugh eggplant and chickpea curry? eggplant and tofu thai stir-fry? lentil moussaka?
  • And many more

I pondered my predicament while enjoying a snack of Peach Chobani and Crumbled Peanut Butter Granola bar.

I came home refreshed and renewed and was able to piece together some of the ideas to make a great meal. ๐Ÿ™‚

The first meal ideas that popped in my mind and on twitter when i mentioned the eggplant were all marinara base; however I feel like I have been on marinara overload lately and wanted to branch out a little.

I ended up taking @Lowandbhold’s suggestion of Lindsay’s Eggplant Rollups, but instead of the marinara route, I took @MissRayn‘s idea of balsamic. ๐Ÿ™‚

I started by grilling the eggplant slices for a couple of minutes on the george foreman.

I then topped the slices with a smear of Goat Cheese, Fresh Basil and Raisins.

I rolled them tightly and placed them on top of a mix of chickpeas, mushrooms and tomatoes that I then drizzled with balsamic vinegar.

I baked the perfectly portioned for one meal for 10 minutes at 420 degrees then served.

The roll ups were great! I loved the addition of the raisins to the goat cheese. It gave it a nice sweet touch.

Thank you twitter friends for giving me the basis ideas of a great meal. ๐Ÿ™‚

For dessert I had my last piece of Sin Dawg.

RIP Sin Dawg. You will be dearly missed. *sniff *sniff

Someone posted a Sin Dawg recipe in my comments last night. Perhaps I’ll give it a shot this weekend? ๐Ÿ™‚

Twitter is starting to replace google in my eyes. When ever I have a random question I always tweet away and get some great advice.

Do you tweet for answers? What have been some of your favorite twitter questions you’ve asked or have responded to?

1 Jessica September 30, 2009 at 9:32 pm

Tweeting for dinner ideas is a great idea! I found like 3 meals to make out of the responses you listed! ๐Ÿ™‚

2 Maggie September 30, 2009 at 9:33 pm

OMG that looks awesome. I have never grilled eggplant! I really like Twitter too ๐Ÿ™‚ Great for random thoughts and getting ideas.

3 Evan Thomas September 30, 2009 at 9:36 pm

The blog community is so awesome. That almost wants me want to get twitter. Almost, haha, I don’t think I need to get more into the internet and social network any more than I already am though or I’d have no time for school

4 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) September 30, 2009 at 9:38 pm

Love the version of the eggplant rollatini you made – sweet, savory, salty, creamy..yum!

Tomorrow I’ll officially be joining the twitter world (didn’t earlier because my username is the same as the new site). So excited for tomorrow. ๐Ÿ™‚

5 Leianna September 30, 2009 at 9:46 pm

I haven’t jumped on the twitter bandwagon, but you got lots of great ideas for what to make!

6 Matt September 30, 2009 at 9:48 pm

Haha I love twitter. I am addicted to it right now!

7 chasingthenow September 30, 2009 at 9:49 pm

I sometimes tweet a blog post if I have asked for advice. I think it can be helpful. I’m not a logical person and thinking about things from that perspective doesn’t come easy for me!

8 Jenna September 30, 2009 at 9:50 pm

well i guess whenever i need a recipe i can always count on asking my followers for advice!

jenna

9 Emily @ My Chubby Confessions September 30, 2009 at 9:51 pm

That roll up looks simply divine.

10 Kate September 30, 2009 at 10:00 pm

Ooh! Those rolls look amazing! I wish I could tweet at work ๐Ÿ™

11 Bridget September 30, 2009 at 10:06 pm

Wow thats awesome that you came up with a fun dinner like that just from a few random suggestions from people on twitter!! Talk about using all your resources!

12 angieinatlanta September 30, 2009 at 10:07 pm

YUM! Those eggplant rolls are a GREAT idea! I must try it!

13 Susan September 30, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Ohgosh, those look soooo good. I’ve used eggplant slices for many things, but never as a roll-up! I love tweeting about workout music ๐Ÿ™‚

14 cookinfanatic September 30, 2009 at 10:37 pm

Your din looks so yummy and creative, great work! ๐Ÿ™‚

15 Deirdre September 30, 2009 at 10:51 pm

I never tweet for answers, but I definitely should. I love all the great ideas you got. I’ve never grilled eggplant on my Foreman and now I’m definitely going to try it.

16 Sweet and Fit September 30, 2009 at 10:52 pm

this looks amazing – I love the idea of stuffing it with raisins and goat cheese – yum! actually thinking about making this tomorrow night, thanks! =)

17 Morgan @ Life After Bagels September 30, 2009 at 10:56 pm

OKay so I do not tweet. I have never even been on the twitter website. GASP . . . I am so out of date aren’t I?!?!

18 loveprevails September 30, 2009 at 11:00 pm

no twitter for me, hehe. I love my google, plus i am trying the best I can to stay away from “tweeting” lol. I have enough with my reader, facebook, email, im, etc!!
Dinner looks delicious btw!!

19 Lizzy September 30, 2009 at 11:15 pm

I had eggplant tonight for dinner too, and i have plenty more that NEED to be used up, so i’ll def be trying this method!

20 Devan Newman September 30, 2009 at 11:24 pm

that seriously sounds SO amazing!
i need to make that!

21 biz319 September 30, 2009 at 11:31 pm

I wish I like eggplant, it always looks so good!

Um, the only twitter I read is my husbands! In which he will tweet “my wife said she was giving me spaghetti squash. I thought she was kidding. She wasn’t!”

22 Tay September 30, 2009 at 11:48 pm

Okjay those definitely look WAY better than any type of eggplant lasagna or parmesan. Glad you chose the non-marinara route!

23 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) September 30, 2009 at 11:57 pm

That looks delicious. I love the raisins and goat cheese inside.

I am addicted to twitter. it’s great for so many reasons!

24 fattiefatterton October 1, 2009 at 12:11 am

I puffy heart egglant. Soooo good!! I can’t figure out how big your leaf plate is. Is it as huge as it looks? Was just trying to figure out the portion size. The eggplants I buy here are huge!

25 Meghann October 1, 2009 at 5:47 am

This eggplant was relatively short. I promise my plate isn’t very big at all. I tend to eat off of smaller plates to help with my own portion control ๐Ÿ™‚

26 broccolihut October 1, 2009 at 12:27 am

George Foreman to the rescue!

27 Jo October 1, 2009 at 2:20 am

Never thought of using twitter to ask for reecipe ideas – what a great idea ๐Ÿ™‚
Love the look of that meal – perfect for one!

28 Diana October 1, 2009 at 2:29 am

I don’t think I’ve ever used twitter to get an answer. I’m actually not sure ahah But that definitely looks delicious!

29 nutritionbyeve October 1, 2009 at 7:12 am

Looks like a great dinner!

Just an fyi, I was always under the impression that you should never leave and open can in the refrigerator. Whenever you open a can and only use a portion you should transfer it to another container b/c the metals can interact with the food. Don’t have time right now to find a source…can anyone else back me on this?

30 Holly October 1, 2009 at 10:16 am

I’ve heard this too….also, don’t leave anything acidic (like tomatoes or lasagna/Parmesan dishes with tomato sauce) wrapped in tin foil for the same reason.

31 tami October 1, 2009 at 8:22 am

i tried to find the recipe for the sin dawg and i couldn’t. can you post it sometime

32 Sheila October 2, 2009 at 4:00 pm

@ Tami

go to:

for the recipe and a video demonstration by Dave Dahl himself

33 Sheila October 5, 2009 at 2:01 pm

I thought I would post an update comment on the Sin Dawg recipe.

I tried it out this weekend. Having never had one (but having drooled over all the blogged photos), I’m not sure how close I came to the real thing. It looked like the pics. What I made was delicious, but I did have problems with the filling quantities as written. I reduced the amount of oil called for. The recipe calls for 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp (which seemed a bit ridiculous) – I used about 1/4 cup, and still found it to be way too much. The filling mix ended up being really loose and ran out of the dough while I rolled it up. Next time I would probably just omit the oil and maybe add a tbsp or two of applesauce if it needed it.

Hope that helps anyone thinking about trying the recipe…

34 Danielle October 1, 2009 at 8:49 am

I love your dinner, and definitely am craving eggplant now, I love the idea with drizzling balsamic on it!

35 Brandi October 1, 2009 at 9:19 am

what a great dinner!

I don’t tweet ๐Ÿ™‚ so I guess google is still my go-to!

36 Kath October 1, 2009 at 10:23 am

Wow, those look delish!!

37 lowandbhold October 1, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Glad I could help! Ain’t twitter grand?! The balsamic idea was great! I love bals vinegar!

38 Rose October 1, 2009 at 12:35 pm

Very interesting + creative meal!

39 Pam (Highway to Health) October 1, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Those look amazing. I think I would have skipped the marinara as well. Great choice!

40 Kristin October 1, 2009 at 1:04 pm

What a great idea! I love eggplant, I bought one last week and it went bad before I could use it!! I love the goat cheese + basil + raisin combo. Yum!

41 Tammy Eros October 1, 2009 at 1:27 pm

Thanks for the ideas! I have some eggplant I need to use, as well as some chickpeas!

42 Kate October 1, 2009 at 4:47 pm

I keep getting eggplants in my CSA delivery, and my husband groans every time. Eggplant is one of the only veggies we both could live without. But that looks divine! I will try next week! (I never thought to put eggplant slices on good ol George Foreman… roasting in the oven takes so much forethought. George does not!)