more ยป" />

BBQ Vegetable Bowl

by Meghann on September 29, 2009

Vegetables.

Lots and lots of vegetables. ๐Ÿ™‚

Call me crazy, but sometimes all I want to eat is a big ole bowl of yummy veggies.

That’s all I was craving and this bowl hit the spot.

I arrived home from work STARVING and immediately went to the kitchen and started throwing everything I could find in the fridge in a pan on the stovetop.

• Brussel Sprouts
  • Green Beans
  • Cherry Tomatoes
  • Carrot
  • BBQ Temptations Tempeh
  • Mushrooms
  • Rutabaga
  • Chopped Jalapenos
  • Fresh Basil
  • Country Bob’s All Purpose BBQ Sauce

These vegetables were spicy & sweet with a BBQ flair.

With my big bowl of veggies I had Kashi Crackers with a light spread of Chevarie Goat Cheese.

I couldn’t wait to have a piece of Sin Dawg for dessert.

I only have one piece left. ๐Ÿ™

This afternoon I snacked on Mixed Nuts while going through my own personal hell at work as my supervisor put it.

Derek Makes Progress…

This morning I got a very proud message from Derek letting me know that he had not one, but TWO bowls of cereal this morning with big globs of peanut butter on top. He was also proud to report the left over pizza he had for lunch.

He is going to make a consious effort to eat three full meals this week and see if that helps him maintain is weight and energy. I’ll be sure to report back with the results. ๐Ÿ™‚

1 Kat September 29, 2009 at 9:16 pm

I’m convinced that BBQ sauce is good on everything!
Have you tried using chutneys? Just from looking at the way you eat (lots of veggies, lots of flavor) as a longtime reader, I feel like you would love experimenting with chutneys. I’ve recently rediscovered them and I’m in love! They go great with veggie dishes, stir-fries, brown rice, etc.

2 Danica September 29, 2009 at 9:19 pm

MMMMM – LOVE that bowl of BBQ LOVE! Great and easy dinner!

3 Matt September 29, 2009 at 9:28 pm

BBQ sauce seriously goes with everything!

4 angieinatlanta September 29, 2009 at 9:33 pm

I love a big bowl of veggies sometimes too! And BBQ sauce makes everything yummy!

5 VeggieGirl September 29, 2009 at 9:35 pm

Holy yum bowl of GOOOOOODNESS.

Good luck to Derek!

6 MegaNerd September 29, 2009 at 9:38 pm

Yay Derek!

Did you save me some b. sprouts?

7 Jenna September 29, 2009 at 9:38 pm

great looin’ dinner! sorry ya had a rough afternoon at work!
jenna
hope derek is doing well!

8 Kristen September 29, 2009 at 9:47 pm

My husband has the same issue as Derek, but unlike Derek who doesn’t eat much during the day, my husband eats and eats, but gains no weight. Hopefully Derek’s amped-up calorie intake will pay off in energy and weight stabilization. Good luck, Derek!

9 Julie September 29, 2009 at 9:53 pm

Yay for Derek!!

BBQ tempeh temptations are SO GOOD! It’s so quick and easy.

10 Brie (The Fit Bride) September 29, 2009 at 9:53 pm

Hooray for Derek! Peanut butter is seriously a cure-all when it comes to weight gain. I think that of my 22% body fat, at least 11% is composed of nut butter.

I hope you keep us updated on him! I’m used to reading so many blogs about fitness written by women that it’s interesting to see some of the stuff men deal with for achange.

11 Nicci@NiftyEats September 29, 2009 at 10:05 pm

You can’t go wrong with lots of veggies!

12 Melissa S. September 29, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Tell Derek that Brad went through the same thing when he started running w/ me and then training for the NYC half marathon. The boy lived off of pb, beans, pasta and rice and stuffed himself silly. it also helped that he kept lifting to help build up his muscles. but i made brad eat almonds and nuts/trial mixes all the time. Tell him to go to Sam’s Club and buy the big bags of trail mix…it will work wonders. I hope he’s happier with his weight soon!

13 greensandjeans September 29, 2009 at 10:09 pm

that tempeh looks so good I just wrote it on my grocery list!

14 runninghealthy September 29, 2009 at 10:28 pm

every time i see a picture of that sin dawg my mouth starts watering. it looks absolutely delicious!

15 Emily September 29, 2009 at 10:38 pm

That looks fricking awesome, what a great combination!

16 Annamarina September 29, 2009 at 10:45 pm

I wish I had cravings for big bowls of veggies! Looks yummy!

17 Simone September 29, 2009 at 10:48 pm

Yay for Derek!

18 anna September 29, 2009 at 11:11 pm

That bread looks delicious! I found the recipe here but I suck at baking, maybe u could try it I know you are a better baker ๐Ÿ™‚ but I think it’s a LONG and hard recipe

Daveโ€™s Killer Bread Sin-Dawgs

These loaves are amazing and a favorite at the Portland Farmerโ€™s Market. Now you can make Daveโ€™s delectable whole grain pastries at home, and have your family screaming for more.

Makes 3 loaves

Note: This recipe is best made with a heavy-duty stand mixer.

Sponge
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
3 tbsp organic granulated sugar
1 tbsp ground flax seed or meal
1 tbsp sunflower seeds
2 tbsp rolled oats
2-1/2 tsp instant yeast
3-1/2 tbsp canola oil
1-1/2 tbsp molasses
1/2 cup lukewarm water

Dough
1-3/4 cups dark raisins (soaked in water)
1/4 cup walnut pieces (soaked in water)
1-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup vital wheat gluten
1-1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp plus 2 tsp ground cinnamon
2/3 cup water (room temperature)

Filling
2 tbsp plus 2 tsp ground flax or flax meal
2 tbsp plus 2 tsp water
1-1/4 cups organic granulated sugar
2 tbsp molasses
2 tbsp plus 2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp vanilla

Topping
2 tbsp sunflower seeds
2 tbsp sesame seeds (preferably dark, unhulled)
4 tbsp rolled oats
2 tsp raw pumpkin seeds
2 tsp ground flax seeds or meal

1. Sponge: In bowl of stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the flour, sugar, flax, sunflower seeds and oats and yeast, mixing well. Add the oil, molasses and water, mixing well. With machine on low, beat mixture until well mixed. Cover and set aside for 30 to 60 minutes.

2. Dough: In a bowl, combine raisins and walnuts. Add lukewarm water to cover and let soak for 10 minutes while you finish making the dough.

3. Add the remaining flour, gluten, salt, 2/3 cup water and cinnamon to your sponge. With the machine on low, slowly mix until the dry ingredients are incorporated. Then mix on a medium-high speed until the dough is silky looking and separates from dough hook, about 10 minutes or so. You should be able to stretch the dough out thinly at this point and get a โ€œwindow paneโ€ (see video). It should be a really nice, dark, stretchy dough. Now you can add the soaked raisins and walnuts, beating again (on low to medium speed) for several minutes, until dough forms the โ€œwindow paneโ€ again.

4. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and divide the dough into 3 equal portions and shape into balls. Let dough sit while you prepare the filling.

5. Filling: In bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk together the ground flax and water. Add the remaining ingredients and beat until smooth and flowing.

6. Shaping: Roll each ball out with a rolling pin to about 1/4-inch thick. Place a large scoop of filling in the center and spread over dough to edges. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Roll dough up into a cylinder and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. You donโ€™t have to seal the edges.

7. Topping: In a shallow dish, combine the sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, oats, pumpkin seeds and ground flax, stirring well. Lightly brush or spray each Sin Dawg with water and gently roll in seed mix.

8. Cover dough with a cloth and let rise briefly for 30 min or so. Preheat oven to 350ยฐF.

9. Bake loaves in preheated oven for about 35 to 40 minutes until itโ€™s nicely brown and firm to the touch (be careful as the oozing filling is very hot at this point). You donโ€™t want to bake it for less than 35 minutes, or it will have a doughy middle. Let Sin Dawgs partially cool on baking sheet for 15 to 20 minutes, before removing to a rack to completely cool.

Tip: Make sure your oven is calibrated for the best results.

Copyright ยฉ 2008 Dave Dahl

19 jennylikestorun September 29, 2009 at 11:13 pm

YUM! Your veges look so good! Nothing like a big bowl of veges to give you energy ๐Ÿ™‚
I had a huge plate of veges for lunch too.
Well done to derek for upping his meal intake!
He should up his protein levels too like nuts, eggs, dairy products. They all help you gain + maintain weight in a healthy way ๐Ÿ™‚

20 Julie @savvyeats September 29, 2009 at 11:40 pm

Hey Meghann, I just wanted to let you know that I donated to your Making Strides Against Breast Cancer page. You’ve almost reached your goal already! Good luck! ๐Ÿ™‚

21 broccolihut September 29, 2009 at 11:47 pm

There’s a BBQ tempeh-tations? I just tried the lemon kind and hated it, but I am a sucker for BBQ–must try!

22 molly September 29, 2009 at 11:57 pm

that bowl of vegetables looks heavenly. vegetable creation bowls are my favorite ๐Ÿ™‚

those sin dawgs just look so good!

23 Christy September 30, 2009 at 12:35 am

with that food-reporting derek is doing, i see another possible blog in the future!!! haha ๐Ÿ˜‰

24 Maggie September 30, 2009 at 1:23 am

That is usually all I want to eat!! I think I could live on them ๐Ÿ™‚ And various bowls of oatmeal. Yum yum yum. I love Brussels ๐Ÿ™‚

25 chasingthenow September 30, 2009 at 2:07 am

He should definitely see an improvement in energy. Boys typically need more caloric intake anyway, and what he was eating wasn’t enough!

26 Nicole September 30, 2009 at 2:40 am

Yay! He is eating more! My hubby has an extremely fast metabolism, and he has to force himself to eat all day long otherwise he would be as small as I am! I wish I had that problem!

27 Diana September 30, 2009 at 2:41 am

That bowl of veggies looks really good. ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m glad to see that Derek is making an effort! He will probably feel better and more energetic in some days. ๐Ÿ™‚

28 Jaci September 30, 2009 at 6:59 am

I love the idea of that veggie combination. I’m working on having more veggies and other ingredients on hand. I feel like I’m always jetting off to get groceries during the week!

29 kristen September 30, 2009 at 7:37 am

That looks like a delicious dinner!

Well done Derek! I hope you can keep it up!

30 Morgan @ Life After Bagels September 30, 2009 at 7:39 am

I am just waiting for you to announce that Derek has started his own blog.

31 Jessica September 30, 2009 at 7:59 am

I wish sometimes I just wanted a big bowl of veggies. I usually just want a big bowl of cookies.

32 Lizzy September 30, 2009 at 8:08 am

big bowls of veggies are so amazing arent they! especially when they get all caramelized! so amazing

Congrats to derek having breakfast and lunch! he’s doing awesome

33 Danielle September 30, 2009 at 8:38 am

Not a fan of BBQ sauce, but that bowl looks delicious, I would love to eat something similiar but with salsa, or marinara sauce! Yum!

34 Steph September 30, 2009 at 9:08 am

I just had a BBQ Tempeh salad 2 nights ago and it was delicious! I think BBQ sauce makes everything better though ๐Ÿ™‚

Congrats to Derek!

35 Rose September 30, 2009 at 9:52 am

I think I might make this for dinner tonight! I have a lot of the ingredients!

36 Reenie September 30, 2009 at 10:39 am

Well, Derek ~ that’s a start. But I still think you should try eggs & toast and a glass of milk……and see how your energy level is throughout the day…..with of course eating a good lunch ~ with a snack in between…..another snack then dinner. ๐Ÿ™‚

37 Lauren September 30, 2009 at 11:38 am

Not crazy at all, and that looks delicious! One of my favorite, easy-to-prepare, always-pleasing dinner is diced zucchini, broccoli, and mushrooms, sauteed with garlic and a tiny bit of olive oil, then topped with marinara sauce and feta cheese. So good.

38 Tina September 30, 2009 at 12:35 pm

I am DYING for one of those Sin Dawgs!!

Biggg bowls of veggies are the best. I’m actually about to go make my own for lunch! If only I had some brown rice…

39 Kristin September 30, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Yay for Derek!

Sometimes a great big bowl of veggies is the BEST thing, especially if they’re deliciously seasoned like yours!!

xo
K

40 Evan Thomas September 30, 2009 at 3:34 pm

Kudos to Derek! And I love a big steaming bowl of veggies from time to time. Good call on the brussels! They’re one of my favorites