Making Stride Against Breast Cancer

by Meghann on September 28, 2009

Thank you for all of your suggestions on how to Fatten Derek Up. (Derek said I should have called the post that )

You guys had some great ideas that Derek plans to read them all when he gets home.  I agree that he was not eating nearly enough calories and I’m hoping he will finally see that too. 🙂

So, far my Monday has been going smoothly.

Mid-Morning I snacked on a broken Lemon Poppy Heart Thrive Cookie.

IMG_2639

I hope the broken heart isn’t a bad omen for anything.

For some reason I am stocked with left overs in my fridge right now, so expect a theme of left overs for lunch through the week.

IMG_2643

Today I went with the left over Apple Chicken Sausage from Thursday night.

IMG_2646

I made a wrap with the chicken sausage and added Spinach, Diced Jalapeno Tomatoes, Mushrooms, Mozzarella, Ketchup, and Spicy Mustard. Then heated up the wrap on the George Foreman.

IMG_2655

On the side I had left over Rutabaga Fries from last night with some Ketchup & Honey Mustard Dip.

IMG_2652

Can’t forget the Pickle! 🙂

IMG_2653

Panda Express was one of the sponsors at the 15k on Saturday. I grabbed a few Fortune Cookies from their booth and had one as my lunch dessert today.

IMG_2656

Making Stride Against Breast Cancer…

Last year my family and I decided last minute to walk the Making Stride Against Breast Cancer 5k in honor of my Aunt Joan who passed away from breast cancer back in 1995.

With only two days to fund raise we managed to raise over $800! You can read about last year’s 5k here.

With one year of experience under our belt, we are hoping to have greater success this year.

This morning I officially registered under my family’s team to walk the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer 5k again this year on Oct. 24. I’ve set a fund raising goal of $250 and I’m hoping with some of your help I can achieve this.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and unfortunately we all know someone who has been effected by it. I lost my Aunt, others have lost their mothers, friends, sisters, grandmother, etc. It’s a vicious cycle and with every dollar raised we are one step closer to ‘Saving our Tatas’

Please take a minute to head to my donation site and donate a dollar or two. Every little bit helps. 🙂

Thank you!

P.S. Thank you to Sabrina for being my first donator!! 🙂

1 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) September 28, 2009 at 1:17 pm

I am really interested to see how Derek’s endurance is once he’s eating some more 🙂

2 Marina September 28, 2009 at 1:19 pm

mhm, that wrap looks niiiice. I’m keeping fingers crossed that Derek will manage to maintain weight and stay strong 🙂

3 jentrinque September 28, 2009 at 1:29 pm

I don’t think that broken heart is an omen for anything! You’ve got a sweet guy and an adorable healthy puppy and a wonderful family 🙂

4 Amanda September 28, 2009 at 1:34 pm

I think it’s great that you are doing the 5k again! I am doing the Breast Cancer 3-Day walk on Oct 16-18 with 14 other women from my yoga studio. We will be walking SIXTY miles in and around Philly and our team has raised $50,000 so far!! I don’t personally know anyone who has had breast cancer, but our team is “Creating good karma, one step at a time” 🙂

5 rhodeygirltests September 28, 2009 at 2:09 pm

You’re welcome. I saw it on Twitter and had to donate asap. Not sure if you know my history, but I lost someone really close to me to breast cancer. Thanks for walking for the cause!

6 Leah September 28, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Leftovers for Lunch is my style! 😉

What a great cause to walk for! I am so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, these days, it seems like too many people’s lives have been touched by cancer. My thoughts go out to your family!

7 runnerskitchen September 28, 2009 at 2:40 pm

I just shelled out lots of $$$ for a new computer, so I’m going to be the leftover queen from now on!

Love those rutabega fries 🙂

8 Jessica September 28, 2009 at 2:55 pm

That wrap looks delish. Great job on the fundraising last year. I hope you reach your goal! 🙂

9 Brandi September 28, 2009 at 3:02 pm

that’s awesome that you’re doing that walk again in your family’s name!

the wrap sounds great – I love having leftovers!

10 lauren September 28, 2009 at 3:07 pm

I’ve been following your blog for awhile, I discovered so many great blogs after discovering Tina’s blog a few months ago! Your “grilled” wraps always look so great, do you go home for lunch? I wish I had a mini foreman at work or something!
Your boyfriend is probably lucky his issue is weight loss, my husband (who was my boyfriend at the time) used to forget to eat meals all the time, he would eat fast food or pasta at night and he actually gained weight. I think his body was saving the calories!

11 Chloe September 28, 2009 at 3:43 pm

That’s awesome that you have raised so much money in such little time! My Aunt is currently fighting breast cancer for the second time, so it warms my heart to see you putting your races out there for a good cause!!

12 courtlove111 September 28, 2009 at 3:55 pm

Thank you for doing the breast cancer 5k on behalf of everyone who has breasts!
I participated in the Chicago Avon Walk for Breast Cancer as a walker or crew member for 7 years and I applaud all the other groups out there that raise money.

And that wrap looks AWESOME!

Courtney
Adventures in Tri-ing

13 eatolive September 28, 2009 at 4:03 pm

my boyfriend does the EXACT same thing! He plays volleyball twice a week, is 6’6 and some days doesn’t eat lunch OR breakfast at all if he’s busy at work! He can fluctuate 10 lbs in one week! It drives me insane!

Derek definitely should take your advice about a big breakfast & at least a pb&j for lunch. Tell him he needs the fuel to be a good runner like you! 🙂 haha

14 Jenna September 28, 2009 at 4:30 pm

i hope derek sits down and reads ALL of the comments from that post!!
wrap on the GF is always the way to go 🙂
jenna

15 K September 28, 2009 at 4:53 pm

Not sure if you saw my message on the last post —

It looks like you are getting plenty of suggestions for proper fuel for Derek, so I am going to slide away from that topic and ask you if you truly think that a “rest” day consists of an hour long DVD of Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones. Isn’t that a tough DVD? How is that rest?? I don’t mean this to sound rude, but I am just wondering if you take TRUE rest days during marathon training?

16 Erica September 28, 2009 at 4:53 pm

On behalf of all those diagnosed with breast cancer, I would like to thank you for your commitment to help raise money and awareness! I believe that we will see a cure in our lifetime and it is because of people like you that it will eventually become a reality.

I was diagnosed last year, at the age of 30. No family history or risk factors other than the fact that I am a woman. My husband and I were completely rocked at the diagnosis and took great strides to make sure our kids’ (ages 13, 11, and 4 at the time) childhood would not be defined by breast cancer. It is my prayer that one day no mother will ever have to tell her child or family that she has breast cancer.

We have made it through and I have my last treatment this Friday (Oct 2). It has been a year that has brought us closer together as a family, stronger in our faith in God, and looking forward.

Thank you for your commitment to bring an end to this disease! My heart warms everytime I see one of my blog-girls running for a fabulous cause! God Bless!

17 runninghealthy September 28, 2009 at 5:40 pm

you and your family are awesome for being about to raise so much money in such a short period of time. its a great thing that you are doing!

oh and your lunch looks delicious, as usual!

18 Matt September 28, 2009 at 5:52 pm

Congrats on the 5k. Running a race for a great cause always makes running through the finish live 10x more satisfying.

19 Erica September 28, 2009 at 6:32 pm

Hey girlie 😉 Hope you’re having a fabulous Monday. Love those little heart treats and your Rutabaga fries always remind me of how much I love them! Hope you have a good night

20 Nicole September 28, 2009 at 6:39 pm

Mmm, I am a big fan of fortune cookies! I even made my own once. They’re pretty easy!

21 loveprevails September 28, 2009 at 7:02 pm

I am actually in charge of Making Strides on my campus because I work at the Connections and Wellness Center on campus! Glad to see it getting promoted of course! If you have any college campus ideas of getting students more interested to coming to show their support I would LOVE to hear any and all ideas from activities, fundraising, etc. We are walking the 18th!

22 bad carbohydrates September 28, 2009 at 11:50 pm

Good foods also good for health.

{ 2 trackbacks }