more ยป" />

Derek Runs 4 Miles

by Meghann on September 27, 2009

After waking up early, running a 15k, driving to Tampa, watching the Noles lose and posting a monster recap yesterdayI was exhausted!

Derek and I crashed for a nap just before 6:00 and when I finally woke up it was nearing 8:00 and dark outside. I guess my body was really craving sweet.

We both weren’t in the mood for anything fancy for dinner, so we just ran across the street to Tijuana Flats for some quick burritos.

I’ve seen Tijuana Flats popping up everywhere lately, but have never been to one before. I was surprised to discover the chain was started in Orlando by a UCF student. Orlando represent!

For my meal I ordered the Regular Veggie Burrito with everything but the sour cream in a Whole Wheat Tortilla and some Guac on the side.

It was refreshing in the world of burrito chains to be able to order a small burrito.

I really liked it and would happily return.

Derek was craving Ice Cream so we stopped at Publix on the way back and picked up some Frozen Yogurt Moose Tracks.

I had a small cup’s worth with strawberries on top.

I think I may have over did it on the sweets yesterday. ;)

I ended my evening by passing out watching Ghost for the first time. Can you believe I had never seen it before?

This morning I dragged Derek out of bed to complete a 4 mile training run for our 10k in 2 weeks.

Derek started out great and ran the first 2 miles without stopping at a 10 min pace, but then his body sort of gave out. My heart went out for him as he struggled to complete the last two miles, which we mainly walked.

Poor baby. :( His legs and chest hurt and he said he felt like he was going to throw up. I trued my best to encourage and distract him to finish, but I think at the end he wanted to hit me.

Towards the end our run I was explaining the Run & Walk Galloway method. I think that might help spread out his energy. I plan to stay by his side the entire 10k and even if we walk the majority of it, I know he can do it and I plan to tell him that along the way.

To help distract him, Derek and I discussed breakfast. He really wanted a big Omlette from First Watch. So we headed there as his post 4 mile run treat.

I started with a Hot Tea.

Derek and I both ordered the Greek Fetish Omlette.

His:

Hers:

I made a few changes…

Egg Whites instead of Whole Eggs

Fruit instead of Potatoes

and English Muffin Dry with Strawberry Jam.

Oh and Derek also ordered a huge Blueberry Pancake that I stole a piece of. :)

Look how he’s all smiles now. :)

Derek is frustrated right now with running, but he is also determined not to give up. I really admire that about him. I gave him the option of the 10k or the 3k and he selected the 10k. We still have 2 weeks to get his endurance up and I’m crossing my fingers the galloway method will help him out.

Here’s wishing Derek luck as he starts counting down his training days!

1 Sam September 27, 2009 at 12:47 pm

I think I’m in Derek’s situation at the moment. I have a 10K in a few weeks and I’m really struggling with the training at the moment. But I keep telling myself I can do it, and I’m sure he can too! Good luck :)

2 hopefulrunner September 27, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Good luck Derek!!! You have a great coach behind you, and you’ll do amazing on your first 10K!!! :)

3 Graze With Me September 27, 2009 at 12:50 pm

That’s how I feel about running….just want to throw up. I’m super impressed with true runners like you!

Ha, my breakfasts are always modified in restaurants. Fruit is always subbed for either a breakfast meat or toast…..always. ;)

4 runeatrepeat September 27, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Good luck Derek! My guy is just starting to run with me and I know it’s tough!

None of us runners just started rocking 10Ks overnight. I know it’s hard to read other blogger’s tales of great races and long runs – or in Derek’s case, have such a speedy girlfriend, but we all started by walking, then running, then racing.

5 Annamarina September 27, 2009 at 1:09 pm

Nice job Derek! My husband just started running with me too and every time he says, “I don’t know how you do this for 10+ miles!”. He ran his first 5K with me a little while back and did great! I’ve heard the Galloway method works great for a lot of people. Good luck in the 10K!

6 Julia September 27, 2009 at 1:16 pm

Awww he did such a great job! Good thing he got rewarded with that breakfast!
I bet the Galloway method would work really well for him starting out!

7 VeggieGirl September 27, 2009 at 1:21 pm

BEST OF LUCK, DEREK!

8 allie September 27, 2009 at 1:47 pm

I think that’s great that he is trying and not giving up. Running isn’t for everyone, and that’s just fine, but at least he is giving it a shot. I admire his dedication to sticking it out- he has a terrific coach!

9 Nicci@NiftyEats September 27, 2009 at 1:58 pm

Yes! Good Luck Derek, so sweet to hear you will be by his side the whole time too.

10 runninghealthy September 27, 2009 at 1:58 pm

Good job to Derek! It can be so frustrating to want to do something but not be able. Hopefully the Galloway method will do the trick!

You’re breakfast looks absolutely delicious!

11 Kathryn September 27, 2009 at 1:59 pm

Derek is doing great! Just remind him that “a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step”! (haha…not that he has to run a thousand miles, but you get the idea)

12 Sara September 27, 2009 at 2:07 pm

Good luck to Derek! I’ve been running for a few years now, and I still can’t run anything like all you runners do! Some days I can knock out five miles no problem, and other days it’s a huge struggle, especially the first mile or so. But getting out and doing it is all that matters! Keep it up!

13 chandra September 27, 2009 at 2:09 pm

Congrats to Derek on his 4 miles! I know from experience that building up miles isn’t easy. :-) And good for him getting into running by his own free will! That is so cool. I’m sure the run/walk method will help him – I know it helped me starting out!

14 Matt September 27, 2009 at 2:12 pm

Yay Derek!

15 Jenna September 27, 2009 at 2:13 pm

tijuana flats is such a cool place! i went to one my first time in FL :) burrito looks great!
derek is awesome and he can do it!!
jenna

16 Brie (The Fit Bride) September 27, 2009 at 2:16 pm

Good luck Derek! We’ve all been there, and it only gets easier!

Loooove First Watch. Mmm.

17 Jaci September 27, 2009 at 2:16 pm

Good for Derek! Getting started with running is hard. Your breakfast restaurant looks like a place I want to eat at!

18 Hangry Pants September 27, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Derek, Meghann and the girls make running look easy. It is not easy. Hang in there! Also, Mark generally gets two breakfasts too. :)

Hi meghann. :D

19 inmytummy September 27, 2009 at 3:16 pm

I’ve run a 10K with my fiance who doesn’t really run. We ran for probably the first 2 miles and then we’d walk, I’d pick a point like a stoplight and we’d run to that, walk again, etc. It seemed to work.

20 Hallie September 27, 2009 at 3:18 pm

I second what heather said! bloggers make running seem like this thing that so fun and simple…but I’m training for a 10k too (only mine is in like, 6 weeks) and I think running is HARD but the accomplishment I feel when I come in from a run is worth the difficult part. Derek is doing AMAZING…I’ve learned to take the good with the bad and know that some runs, no matter the distance, will be easy and some will be harder. Keep it up, rock star!

21 Julie September 27, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Thats very sweet of you to run the entire 10k right beside Derek. I’m sure your encouraging words will help him finish strong! And Hangry Pants is right, running is not easy, but practice makes perfect! Good luck Derek!!

22 April September 27, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Good job to Derek! It does get easier! If I was able to build up some endurance, I really believe ANYONE can!

23 Run Sarah September 27, 2009 at 3:40 pm

Derek is doing awesome! My significant other really encouraged me and stuck by me with running and still runs at my pace and encourages me. I still do a run/walk combo on my long runs and it helps me run faster. Running really clicked for me when I realized I didn’t have to be running my heart out the whole time, it wasn’t until I slowed my pace down that I was able to complete more than a few km.

24 Morgan September 27, 2009 at 3:41 pm

Good luck to Derek!
You know, what’s really important is that he is TRYING. So many people say they want to do something, like run a 10K, and never ever try. Good for him!

25 talesfromtwocities September 27, 2009 at 3:42 pm

My boyfriend struggled with running for ages – he could barely run 2 miles and had foot problems, leg pain, etc, but he kept at it and he just ran 9 miles yesterday – pretty awesome. I’m sure Derek will get his groove too!

26 Erin September 27, 2009 at 3:42 pm

You go Derek!! I second the all the comments about the walk/run method being so helpful when you extend your mileage. Each minute or mile further that you go, you feel so accomplished too! This post was really helpful for me too because I’m running my first 10k in about 3 weeks and you two are such great motivators. It reminded me of my favorite running quote:

“Run if you can, walk if you must, crawl if you have to. Just never give up” – Dean Karnazes.

27 Allison R. September 27, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Tell him not to be discouraged! I ran my first race ever this past summer which was a 10k. I didn’t train like I wanted, and had 3 miles as my longest continuous distance. With the “spirits” of everyone around me, it was easy to complete WITHOUT walking ( I was so proud) in just over an hour. He’ll be surprised what a difference the atmosphere can make!

28 mel September 27, 2009 at 3:47 pm

aww I feel ya Derek! i am the same way about running…its a drag for me!! you will do great though! I do the galloway method too and it helps!

29 Frannie September 27, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Derek is lucky to have such an awesome coach, Meghann. Way to be patient with him. Often when one member of a couple is really good at something, they don’t have the patience or empathy to teach their partner to do something well. I completely applaud you. :)

30 Allison September 27, 2009 at 4:03 pm

Are you doing Race for the Taste? I’ll be there, too! I love Disney races.

And First Watch is the best. We ate there all the time when we lived in Orlando.

31 Jess (What's Normal, Anyways?) September 27, 2009 at 4:04 pm

Derek, I’m right there with ya buddy. It’s rough going and sometimes a bummer watching Meghann and all the other girls just run like it’s the most basic thing in the world. Keep it up pal…and I am too!

PS. I must dream about breakfast a LOT, haha.

32 traveleatlove September 27, 2009 at 4:33 pm

My favorite thing about running is runners! Whether he has to walk or not, all of the great support that the running community (and you!!!!) provide will hopefully make it a great experience for him. It is awesome that he is doing it!

33 Danielle September 27, 2009 at 4:35 pm

As someone who follows the Galloway method on a huge majority of my runs (I will be trying to move away from it after my marathon in 3 weeks!), it’s been wonderful! It’s really wonderful for those of us just starting out or with less fitness than others. Going out and saying “I’m going to run four miles” at first was just too daunting, but going out there knowing that I would run for 2:30 min. and then walk for 1 min. made it much more fun because I knew I could do that :)

Good luck to Derek!

34 Evan Thomas September 27, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Lol at all those breakfast signs. I don’t understand people who skip breakfast, I think it’s the tastiest meal of the day!

35 Kate September 27, 2009 at 4:49 pm

It is SO hard to start running. My husb was reasonably fit when he started but I could still kick his ass. Now he runs a sub-18 minute 5k!!!

I think Gallowalking would be perfect for Derek. Men are more likely than women to start too hard and burn out.

36 foodieinthecity September 27, 2009 at 4:58 pm

Aww, you two are precious. What a great boyfriend for trying and being determined, and what a great girlfriend you are for pushing him and motivating him. When I took Mike out running, I swear he wanted to hit me too! :)

37 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) September 27, 2009 at 6:13 pm

That’s awesome for Derek! I am definitely struggling with running and would love to have an experienced runner train with me and support me. I can’t wait to see how he does!

38 Kristin September 27, 2009 at 6:18 pm

What a trooper! I wish my boy would run with me more often! When I visited him this summer he went running with me but we rarely went longer than 20 minutes!!

39 Emily @ Marathons, Marrying, & Milestones September 27, 2009 at 6:26 pm

awww poor derek. that is awesome that he has you to start training with – it’s sooo much easier with a partner, especially a partner with a lot of experience. reading about your races has inspired me to try to get into the Charlotte running scene and see what the running community is like in my new hometown!

40 Lisa September 27, 2009 at 6:30 pm

I also have a very hard time improving my running endurance! After running for 3 minutes (slowly–about an 11:00minute mile!) I measured my heart rate at 204bpm, which is way too high! I am very active with biking, racquetball, walking/hiking, lifting weights, elliptical machines, and a former gymnast and I am reasonably in shape (normal resting HR, normal to low blood pressure, etc) yet I cannot run for more than about 5 minutes at a time. I’ve been trying to improve for about 6 month now, running 3-4 days per week and trying to fuel myself as best as I can. Do you have any other tips for me? I am also doing the run/walk/run/walk plan and it’s only helping a little bit. Might some people just not be designed to be runners? Even if this is true, I desperately want to run and get better at it, so I’ll keep trying!

41 Susan September 27, 2009 at 6:40 pm

Galloway will definitely help! It’s something I use for my long runs, and I see a lot of people use it even on race day. Running is so much about heart capacity. I do find that pushing myself on those really hard run days (ie feeling like I’m going to throw up) makes it much easier to push that heart rate again the next time. He’s going to do awesome!! :D

42 jennylikestorun September 27, 2009 at 6:41 pm

Good luck to Derek! I’m sure he will do amazing. Especially with all your positive encouragement and effective tips on how he can increase his endurance.
That’s really awesome that he’s determined not to give up. That’s a really great attitude to have when you’re starting out as a runner.

Awesome blog post, sounds like you had a really good night :)
Look forward to the next one!

43 Rosey Rebecca September 27, 2009 at 6:42 pm

I love reading about breakfast on blogs! It’s my favorite meal of the day and I love going out for it!! I’m sure Derek will be great!!

44 chasingthenow September 27, 2009 at 7:17 pm

At least he tried. J would laugh if I told him we were getting up and running four miles. Haha… would never happen!

45 Clay September 27, 2009 at 7:28 pm

OH man, SOOO happy to see someone else enjoying a pancake this morn! It looks delish, i would be all smiles as well.

Im sure derek will have no problem with you there pushing him forward. Something tells me your like inspiration in a spray bottle. Like febreeze….. or axe… or something.

46 Erin September 27, 2009 at 7:36 pm

Good luck Derek! You’ve got a great coach in Meghann! And I admire that you’re going to try to run a 10K so soon after just starting to run – you’re brave!!

47 angieinatlanta September 27, 2009 at 7:59 pm

Poor guy! He’ll get there – I can’t wait to read about his triumphant 10K eventually.

Your breakfast omelette looks UNBELIEVABLE! I love feta cheese.

48 Amanda September 27, 2009 at 8:13 pm

Running is definitely not easy – it took me a good 6 weeks to be able to run without feeling like I was going to die. It really is something that you have to work at, and I think it’s awesome that Derek wants to get into it!! My boyfriend did a race with me, and training together was great. I’m excited to hear about your progress together!!

49 Lori-Pure2Raw September 27, 2009 at 9:00 pm

Great job in motivating Derek to keep going. Oh boy I miss First Watch I grew up in Florida but now leave in NC and there is no first watch. Great place. Good luck with all your training.

50 Morgan (lifeafterbagels) September 27, 2009 at 9:19 pm

I love that you said you were trying to be supportive, but you were also taking a picture of looking sick and maybe puking? hahaha . . . it’s not easy to be dating a blogger, which my bf always tells me!

51 Lizzy September 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm

i know derek can do it! :) with your help and motivation, he’ll succeed for sure!

52 kirsten September 28, 2009 at 8:47 am

you can do it derek!! :)

53 Tammy Eros September 28, 2009 at 9:14 am

At least he is sticking with it, that’s great! I think the Galloway method will help and encourage him. I can’t believe you hadn’t seen Ghost! Now that Patrick Swayze is gone, that part when he goes “into the light” just gives me chills and makes me all weepy.

54 mistifogg September 28, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Don’t you love Tijuana Flat’s……..I LOVE their “salsa”, I go and by it by the large cup full and use it at home in my homemade burriots & taco’s! YUM! =) Laura

55 Caroline September 28, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Tell Derek that I started running in March and have just passed the 3.5 mile mark when running continuously. (So I might have taken most of the summer off… no need to mention that part :) )