more ยป" />

Locked Out

by Meghann on September 24, 2009

Being locked out is no fun. ๐Ÿ™

My lock has been acting up the past couple days and slowing making itself more and more difficult to turn. It took me over 5 minutes to lock my apartment when I left this evening for Maddie’s puppy training class and when I returned an hour later my neighbor found me in tears cursing at my door as I tried desperately to turn the damn lock.

Luckily my neighbor was able to call the maintenance man who fixed my lock with a little cooking spray. It’s still not perfect, but at least now I’m inside and not outside still breaking my thumb on my key.

Before the ‘key incident’ I was actually having a great evening. I cooked a good dinner, Maddie had a good class and I was able to get a few to dos checked off my list.

Dinner was something I’ve been contemplating all week and it did not disappoint.

It started with my idea for Eggplant Fries.

I saw these on a blog a while ago and I knew I had to try my own version of them.

I dipped pieces of eggplant in an eggwhite wash and then coated with whole wheat bread crumbs. I baked the fries at 415 for 10 minutes. I like my eggplant with a little bite, so the 10 minutes was perfect.

I dipped my fries in some marinara sauce to gie them almost a eggplant parmesan feel. Yum!

For some protein I grilled an Apple Chicken Sausage on the George Foreman and served it on a bed of steamed Kale with Honey Mustard.

This was a complete delicious healthy meal.

After the key incident I headed straight to the kitchen for some cinnamon comfort.

This piece of Sin Dawg all warm and gooey made me feel instantly better.

Thank god tomorrow is Friday. Let’s just cross our fingers my lock will continue to work in the morning!

1 Erica September 24, 2009 at 9:22 pm

oh gosh! I’m so sorry Meghann! Glad you got in. Those eggplant fries sound like a brilliant idea- I am totally trying this! Thanks for the idea. Have a good Friday and weekend

2 angieinatlanta September 24, 2009 at 9:25 pm

Aw, I’m sorry that you got locked out but I sure am glad that you got back in!!!

Seriously, you make the most creative dinners in the blog world! Kudos!

3 Matt September 24, 2009 at 9:30 pm

That happened to me as well. The maintenance guy sprayed some WD40 in there and I haven’t had problems since!

4 Devan Newman September 24, 2009 at 9:32 pm

oh yum! i have to make those baked eggplant!! LOOKS AWESOME

5 talesfromtwocities September 24, 2009 at 9:34 pm

That eggplant looks delicious – it has always been one of my favorite vegetables!

6 Stephanie (Surviving Chicago) September 24, 2009 at 9:39 pm

Hey Meghann…I had the lock problem..with my car ignition! You may want to get a new key – the edges may not be as sharp as they once were so its not a perfect fit in the lock anymore.

7 Nicci@NiftyEats September 24, 2009 at 9:53 pm

Great eggplant fries! yummy!

8 chandra September 24, 2009 at 10:05 pm

I made some eggplant fries awhile back – they were delish! Maybe that’s where you saw them ๐Ÿ˜‰ j/k I didn’t even think about dipping them in marinara though, great idea!

My apartment lock acts up on me all the time. Not so much locking, but UNLOCKING sometimes takes forever…

9 Courtney September 24, 2009 at 10:08 pm

Just keep a little Pam in your purse for next time!

10 Christina September 24, 2009 at 10:16 pm

Hi Meghann! I love your blog, i have been reading for a while now. I have a question about Maddie. Do you keep her in a crate while you are at work or do you leave her out in your apartment? I am a graduate student and I got a 2 year old Yorkie named Sophie this past weekend. I have been putting her in a crate while I am in class but she really dislikes it, which is understandable. I am just wondering if this is something she might get used to or if there is something else I should think about trying. Thought I would find out what works for you and Maddie! Have a great Friday!

11 Meghann September 25, 2009 at 8:24 am

I definitely keep her in the crate while I’m at work. Other wise she would destory my apartment. She has a love for shoes and peeing and pooping that screams she can not be left alone. lol

Maddie hates the crate as well, but its something she just has to live with. I will load a kong toy up with canned dog food and freeze it so she has something to entertain herself, but she still barks when I leave. Luckily she only barks before 15 minutes or so before she gives up and I’m guessing goes to work at the kong.

It just takes a little tough love and patience when the crate. Don’t worry your yorkie isnt going to hate you.

12 Mellissa September 24, 2009 at 10:16 pm

WD40 works as well, I have a tricky lock and have actually broke a key in it. So be careful and don’t turn it too hard!

13 Lizzy September 24, 2009 at 10:16 pm

i’m going to make these eggplant fries like asap. We JUST got a whole big carton full of eggplants and i’ll need tons of things to make with them! thanks for this idea!

14 Lindsay @ bananaandchocolate September 24, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Sorry about your lock! I’m glad you are back in now!

Your dinner looks delish! Especially the Sin Dawg.

15 Spotty Prep September 24, 2009 at 10:19 pm

I used to have to spray my old lock with cooking spray every time it was rainy!!

Mmmm sin dawg…great consolation ๐Ÿ™‚

16 Kaolee Hoyle September 24, 2009 at 10:22 pm

I’ll have to try the eggplant fries.

And yes, I have been locked out before. It is lame. I just want to go inside!

17 Evan Thomas September 24, 2009 at 10:24 pm

A slice of Sin Dawg would definitely make a night like that better ๐Ÿ™‚ Sorry to hear about the lock, I hate when my keys get fidgety

18 Kate September 24, 2009 at 10:51 pm

OMG that meal looks divine!

19 Nina September 24, 2009 at 10:57 pm

I am so glad they fixed the lock for you before your story ended like mine..about 2 weeks ago and after 3 days of struggling and sore thumbs my key actually broke in HALF while trying to turn the lock!! My husband and the locksmith were pretty impressed with my strength though lol!

20 Rosey Rebecca September 24, 2009 at 11:13 pm

Sorry about the lock thing. I’m glad you got in. The chicken sausage and eggplant fries look yummy!

21 Steph September 24, 2009 at 11:36 pm

Sorry to hear about your lock situation. Good thing you got in!

The eggplant fries look tasty!

22 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) September 24, 2009 at 11:54 pm

mmm eggplant fries look good!

23 Jenna September 25, 2009 at 12:07 am

looks like a yummy summer dinner….even though it is fall out. reminds me of BBQs!
jenna

24 Nicole September 25, 2009 at 1:08 am

Those eggplant fries look amazing! I will have to try!

25 WholeBodyLove September 25, 2009 at 1:13 am

Those eggplant fries are such a great idea!

26 Fallon September 25, 2009 at 1:57 am

The eggplant fries are genius! Can’t wait to try them.

Time for a new lock. My front door been doing the same thing lately. It weird how after a while they stop working.

27 Julia September 25, 2009 at 2:06 am

I’m sorry you got locked out! That’s terrible, but at least you were able to get back in pretty quickly! I blame those copy keys they give out at apartments…they just don’t work like the originals.
That dinner is soo good, and so balanced! I’ve gotta try eggplant fries now!
Have a great Friday!

28 Jenny @ Scar Tissue, Healthy Living blog :) September 25, 2009 at 4:26 am

Awww you poor thing ๐Ÿ™ that must of sucked getting locked out. Good thing you have a nice neighbour ๐Ÿ™‚
Your dinner looks yuuummmyyy!!!
I loved what you did with the eggplant, seems like an awesome Idea, and I’m going to try it.
Hope your evening is better tomorrow ๐Ÿ™‚
Have an awesome day!
xoxo

29 MelissaNibbles September 25, 2009 at 4:57 am

Yikes! It must’ve been a little scary not being able to get into your own apartment. I’ve had problems with my lock in the past, but it was opposite of your problem. I couldn’t lock my door!
Eggplant fries look yummy!

30 amanda @ fake ginger September 25, 2009 at 9:07 am

Omg, how weird. My lock’s been doing the same thing! I called my dad asking for oil, but I wish I had thought of cooking spray! That would’ve been a quick fix.

The eggplant fries look delicious. I don’t even like eggplant but I’d gobble those up!

31 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) September 25, 2009 at 9:13 am

My lock does the same thing! I have complained so many times and all they do is come spray it. Ugh.

Your dinner does look delicious and I’m glad you had a good night besides that key trouble ๐Ÿ˜‰

32 Amy September 25, 2009 at 9:41 am

When we lived in England I got locked in one of our second story bedrooms (the latch broke in the closed position). I was still in my PJs and had to yell down to the mailman walking by for help. He got one of my neighbors to come over with a ladder and I got out of the house. The only problem being that the house was locked so I was now locked outside the house. I had to call friends (on the neighbor’s phone of course) to come with tools and help me finagle my way enough into the cat door to use the tools to get a key that was luckily stuck in the lock on the inside of the back door. Good times. ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m definitely tring your eggplant fries.

33 Ali September 25, 2009 at 10:49 am

Looks good! Where did you get your whole wheat bread crumbs? I cannot seem to find them anywhere!

I hope your lock situation improves, I had a problem with my door last winter.