Time to be a Dreamer

by Meghann on September 23, 2009

Good morning! Welcome to the hump of the week. 😉

This morning was a light morning of running thanks to my training plan. I did 3 miles at a steady pace then 4×100 strides. Thanks to all of the wonderful advice I received in my comments last week I was really able to concentrate on the correct form in strides and worked on extending and stretching my legs with each one.

I now fully understand what everyone meant when they said strides were a great way to recover after a run. Plus, they’re fun to do!

Breakfast was another delicious bowl of cereal.

IMG_2307

IMG_2312

I know at first I really did not like the addition of the Crystallized Ginger to my Crunchy Granola Mix, but honestly it is starting to grow on me. In fact I’m starting to enjoy it when I have it in my cereal. It just goes to show how easily my tastebuds adapt to things and If I’m unsure of something at first I should try it again and again and again.

Of course some things I’m certain I will never be won over on, like Bell Peppers, Celery, Speghetti, and Mac & Cheese. Yuck.

Dreams…

A couple of great bloggers I am close with have recently had their dreams come true lately. It goes to show with a little luck and a lot of hard work and determination anything is possible.

This got me thinking…. What are my dreams?!? Where do I see myself in 10 years?

Do I still want to be working at a desk? Well… No

Do I want to just sit at home all day? Nope to that too.

Do I want to loved what I do and not have to answer to ‘the man’?  Yeah, but doesn’t everyone want that?

I’ve got lots to think about. Maybe its time I put some hard work and dedication in some of my dreams as well. I know nothing will happen tomorrow, but we’ve all got to start somewhere.

Do you have a dream?

1 jentrinque September 23, 2009 at 8:57 am

Oh yeah, I have a dream! I quit my desk job almost ten months ago to become a full time life coach and writer. I get to work from home and do what I want, though it’s not always easy and pay checks aren’t regular like at a desk job! However, I’m really very happy and can’t imagine working for someone else ever again. Believe me, Meghann, you’ve got some incredible gifts that you might not even be aware of, and I’m sure you can make whatever you dream of come true!

2 Jenna September 23, 2009 at 9:11 am

dreaming is so much fun!
you don’t like bell peppers, spaghetti, celery and mac & cheese?!
i didn’t know that!!
jenna

3 caitlin September 23, 2009 at 9:17 am

DREAM THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM

4 rhodeygirltests September 23, 2009 at 9:19 am

Obviously we want to know the big news now!!!!! I hope those bloggers share it asap!

In other news… lots of foods have grown on me too. I used to hate avocado but made myself try it many times… and now I am obsessed and have some almost every day. The same thing has happened with lots of foods… except cheese. YUCK! The only cheeses I like UNMELTED are fresh mozzarella and feta. The rest… ew.

5 kirsten September 23, 2009 at 9:30 am

Lots of dreams-currently working away on them and hope to see progress soon 🙂

6 Erin September 23, 2009 at 9:33 am

Working on achieving my dreams, starting with being paid to travel and write. At least teaching abroad for the past year was a start, even if it’s not what I want to do for the rest of my life.

7 MelissaNibbles September 23, 2009 at 9:35 am

I’m currently trapped behind a desk and hating it. I decided to go back to school for another degree in something I’m actually interested in….health and wellness! I’m almost 30 so I’m scared that it’s too late in life to change careers, but I see people doing it all the time that are older than me. If they can do it, so can I!

I can’t wait to hear everyone’s great news! Congrats on your run 🙂

8 melruns September 23, 2009 at 9:36 am

I’ve been thinking the same thing! I just wrote a post about making my “Life List” and hope to hit every thing on it. Good luck to you!! Maybe try writing down things that make you happy and see what comes out.

-Mel @ She Runs Brooklyn

9 Morgan September 23, 2009 at 9:37 am

I dream about finding a profession that is truly satisfying and right for me. I am so lost right now, and I feel like I am never going to find what I am supposed to do!
I also dream of a healthy, happy family and paying off ALL of my student loans!

10 Meg September 23, 2009 at 9:41 am

Follow your dreams girl!!! Me…yes…I sure do have some dreams 🙂

I am going to have to look into this stride stuff you are talking about.

11 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) September 23, 2009 at 10:01 am

Story of my LIFE right now! I’ve been struggling with those questions as I figure out what to do after graduation. My answers are pretty similar to yours. I feel like this is the only (maybe not ‘only’ per se) time I have to take big risks since I’m young and don’t really have anything to lose. Then again with the job market now, I may have to sit at home doing nothing..I mean…blogging and baking 🙂

12 courtlove111 September 23, 2009 at 10:04 am

My dreams definetely changed this year after my company unexpectedly closed! I went from being a “big shot” at a company as the VP of HR, to not having any idea what I was going to be when I grow up! And I’m 33! I’m now getting my personal training certification, blogging, and doing my first sprint tri.

I took what I thought was a “dream crusher” and decided instead to look at it as an opportunity to do something different. Crossing my fingers it will work out! I definetely have my breakdowns and my “what the hell am I doing” moments, but I’m going to take this new dream and RUN with it! I think you should too!!

Courtney
Adventures in Tri-ing

13 caitlin September 23, 2009 at 10:35 am

i love that courtney took a bad moment and made it wonderful!!!

14 verbalriot September 23, 2009 at 10:05 am

I hate raw bell peppers but I like them cooked!

And I feel you on the dreaming…I’m graduating in a few months…and then what?!

15 Nicole September 23, 2009 at 10:19 am

My dream is to help people. It really doesn’t matter if it is in the form of inspiring people to eat a little better or exercise, or get clean drinking water to third world countries (I’m getting my masters in env engineering). I just want to help people. I don’t mind getting my hands dirty in the process or working hard to do that…

16 Sarah September 23, 2009 at 10:21 am

It doesn’t get any better if you don’t do anything about it! I’m 37 and still haven’t left my desk job. I’m trying to figure out how to pursue my dreams and still maintain some sort of stability for my family.

So those of you who are in your early 30s, do it now before you have kids! And if you’re in your 20s, go for it!

17 Food Makes Fun Fuel September 23, 2009 at 10:23 am

I just want to find and stick with something I love, and have money never be an issue. Isn’t that everyone’s dream, though?

18 Mellissa September 23, 2009 at 10:23 am

My dream is more about figuring out what I truly want- I know I want to help people, I know I love food, fitness and travel so I want to incorporate those some how some way.

19 Madelin September 23, 2009 at 10:24 am

I have a lot of dreams, whether they will actually materialise or not I’m not sure. I need to work on focussing my dreams and turn them into goals that I can actually achieve. Life is a work in progress hey!

20 Lizzy September 23, 2009 at 10:27 am

I dream to hopefully graduate in less then 2 years from college and move to chicago, my favorite city in the world!!!!! 🙂

Hope your dreams come true too!

I totally kno what you mean about over using ingrediants, but there will always be the things we’ll never get tired of! 🙂

21 Courtney September 23, 2009 at 10:32 am

How MLK to start of the day. Love it! I have dreams, dreams, dreams! I can’t wait to graduate. I would love to get into event planning, wedding planning, something along these lines. 🙂

I’ll have a BA in Liberal Studie and a minor in business/entrepreneurship, then plan on either getting a certificate in Marketing or finding a Masters program that will help me become an event planner … It’s a tough field to break into! You can’t go to school for it.

22 Rose September 23, 2009 at 10:37 am

I do have a dream. We should talk about it over email sometime. Otherwise I’ll become a blubbering mess on your comments section.

🙂

23 anutritionisteats September 23, 2009 at 10:47 am

I think I have too many dreams and maybe need to slow down and focus on a few to really make them happen…

24 greensandjeans September 23, 2009 at 10:58 am

my job dream is to move up in the company that I am in right now! I know I want to work in the outdoor/running gear industry, just not on the retail side (where I am right now). I have had a few talks with my HR people and I think this dream may come true in the next year! Oh, and I’d love it if someone handed me an envelope full of cash so I could go on a major shopping spree…

25 Matt September 23, 2009 at 11:15 am

My dream is to open a restaurant or something of that nature after I graduate. Not right away as I will need time to get on my feet.

26 Lindsay @ bananaandchocolate September 23, 2009 at 11:16 am

I’ve got lots of dreams. They are fun to think about! I’m a huge fan of making small changes in my life that get me even a little bit closer to those dreams!

I don’t like bell peppers either. Yuck!

27 brandi September 23, 2009 at 11:17 am

I have a lot of dreams and am trying to figure out what I want to be doing. I don’t want to be sitting at a computer all day, which is what I’m doing now…and getting out of that is hard, especially with the job market how it is. Slowly, slowly figuring all of this out.

28 indieconquers (Run Study Eat) September 23, 2009 at 11:20 am

mmmmm that brekkie bowl!!!!

My dream has always been split. SOmetimes I’m a travel writer for the Travel Channel zooming around, but most often I am a music coordinator who travels the world and is the base of many movies.

29 Mandy A September 23, 2009 at 11:41 am

My dream right now would be to figure out what in the world I want to do! haha I’m almost 30 and have no clue!

I grew up thinking I was going to be a singer… even moved to Nashville for it. Worked in the industry – HATED the way they treated artists, etc… decided that wasn’t for me… but feel like I belong in Nashville… been here nine years now and can’t imagine living anywhere else – so glad I got here somehow!

I do LOVE “playing” with make up.. but not sure 100% if that’s what I’d want to do. Very hard to get into!

30 Kelly September 23, 2009 at 11:45 am

My dream is to be a University Professor teaching human evolution. 🙂 It might be a pipe dream but we all need goals right?

31 DiningAndDishing September 23, 2009 at 11:54 am

My dream is to be a food critic. So maybe, maybe my blog will lead to good things!? We shall see :O)

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

32 Jo September 23, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Dreams are powerful things. I think you need to focus on them and try to make a little step every day to get you closer to them

33 Julie September 23, 2009 at 12:09 pm

My dream is to move out of state (at least for a little while) and have a family. Honestly, my biggest dream is to be a wife and a mom. Corny? Yes. Impossible? Hopefully not. Sometimes I feel inadequate about my dream because it’s so small, but it’s mine and it’s all I ever wanted!

34 biz319 September 23, 2009 at 12:09 pm

You are at the perfect age to do whatever you want – no husband (yet!), no kids. Once you get to my age, you have mortgage payments, real estate taxes, a leaky roof, flooded basement, flex spending medical accounts, 401k contributions.

It’s much easier to go after what you want at 25 rather than 41! 😀

35 Laura September 23, 2009 at 12:19 pm

A lot of times I have to pinch myself because I’ve been working at my dream job for about 6 years and it’s always new and exciting! As a teenager and young adult I always loved going to concerts, and now I am the marketing manager for not one but three concert venues.
It’s really hard work, long hours and etc. but it makes me appreciate everything so much more. Also I have learned to better balance work with free time / home time… so I’ve been enjoying life much more lately.
My newest passion? Horseback riding!

~Laura
Backstage Pass to Health & Happiness
LauraMKE.blogspot.com

36 Britt September 23, 2009 at 12:25 pm

I’m thinking a lot about this right now…. my current career is not very fulfilling and its not really using my degree. I am making progress though, found my dream job & applied….. now I wait. But in the meantime I’m starting to network and figure out how I want to regain my knowledge & presence in that field.

37 prettytimepiece September 23, 2009 at 12:39 pm

hurrah for a successful & enjoyable recovery run & CEREAL… mmmm. puffins ♥

I’ve been following your blog for awhile (along with the other Healthy Living Summit girls’ blogs) and I have to say – I am sooo impressed with what you all have achieved through simply starting out as blogging what you eat for fun. This sort of networking and following what you are truly passionate about and most of all helping others (so many people have been affected so positively by what you girls have done/are doing!!) is, like… where it’s at. it’s like you are CREATING your own job.

re: following your dream… YES. I think that everyone has their niche, and the way to find it and succeed in it is to dream up exactly what you want to do and start taking the steps towards doing it. my dream is to write, take pictures, and design things (including getting more proficient at web and graphic design).

Keep cultivating your vision. Good luck girl!

/// chandra h

38 foodcents September 23, 2009 at 12:39 pm

Many dreams, both big and small
It’s easy to get overwhelmed by them all

39 Lauren September 23, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Have you ever tried TJ’s chocolate covered ginger? At first I hated it, but it really grew on me, and now I LOVE it! You should try it!

40 Julia September 23, 2009 at 1:11 pm

Sometimes I get slightly overwhelmed thinking about what I want to be doing in 10 years…I seems that there are endless possibilities of what I could do. But like you I want to do something that will make me happy, and I’m not entirely sure what that is yet.

I had a very similar greek yogurt mess for bfast – Yum!

41 chandra September 23, 2009 at 1:52 pm

My current dreams:
1. start working as a personal trainer. (working on it)
2. Become an awesome trainer/fitness instructor.
3. Find an amazing man and fall in love.
4. Be happy with everything in life!
5. Maybe take over Jillian’s spot on TBL?! Except I wouldn’t be as mean. 😉

42 Jess September 23, 2009 at 4:01 pm

Who is “the man” you are talking about? lol And why should any woman ever have to listen to a man??

43 Kristin September 23, 2009 at 4:11 pm

My dreams:
1. Go to Culinary School.
2. Finish my bachelor’s degree
3. Get my personal training certification
4. Get married =)
5. Combine Fitness + Healthy eating into my career
6. Have (fur)children. Two please.

xo

44 Susan September 23, 2009 at 5:24 pm

I dream of making enough money to live comfortably, in a nice home with my boyfriend, and a dog! I dream of some day writing about things I’m passionate about instead of the stories I’m assigned. I dream of travelling, running a marathon, and owning a vespa. I dream a lot! 😛

45 Kate September 23, 2009 at 9:49 pm

I have seen so many bloggers and others going through these thoughts recently- so Gen Y! I thought about lots of different things I’m interested in, but in the end, I think I want to be a lawyer when I grow up, which is exactly what I am!

Of course, I need to think about what sort of lawyer I want to be, and how I can fit my professional life in with my non-work dreams, but basically I love my job- even the desk 🙂

46 rhodeygirltests September 24, 2009 at 9:59 am

Honestly, my dream, like I shared with Rose, are to remain financially secure and live within my means for my whole life, and to have lots of healthy babies. Lots, like maybe 4? As many as we can physically, emotionally, financially handle. And to continue traveling around the world, of course.

47 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) September 24, 2009 at 1:29 pm

I definitely have dreams. Definitely career-related too. I need to get to work on mine as well. These ladies are so inspiring!!

48 Amy C. September 24, 2009 at 7:16 pm

I was working on my MBA and working a full time desk job when I decided that wasn’t my dream either. I ended up withdrawing from business school and spent a year applying to nursing schools and fulfilling prerequisite requirements. I quit my job almost a year after I made the decision to become a nurse and now I’m in the third week of my program. I am so happy that I bit the bullet and did it! I may not have any money coming in right now but after a few years I’ll be a RN/NP and won’t have to work at a desk again! It’s all worth it when your happiness is at stake. I’d rather be poor for a few years and be happy than have a full time job doing something I don’t like.

That being said I still dream of writing a novel someday. I’m just putting that on hold until I get through my BSN/MSN program. 😀