Shrimp Gumbo

by Meghann on September 22, 2009

Where would I be without a DVR?!?!?

I will happily admit it with no shame – I am an old lady who can’t stay up late enough to watch her favorite shows without passing out on the couch. There I said it! So while everyone else gets pumped over Monday night TV, I get more pumped up for Tuesday after work TV! I’m always a day behind on my shows, but it’s totally worth it to be able to watch my faves while fully awake and commercial free. 😉

This afternoon I was able to catch up on last night’s Gossip Girl and Greek (So Good!) all the while creating a fabulous dinner.

On a whim at Publix on Sunday I purchased a dozen shrimp that were marked at a decent prize. I had no clue what I was going to make with them then, but after I got them home I realized I had all of the ingredients needed for some good old fashion Gumbo.

At work today I skimmed a few gumbo recipes before coming up with my own rendition with what I had on hand at home.

• Dozen Shrimp
  • 1/2 Can Diced Tomatoes (with liquid)
  • 1 T Garlic
  • Okra
  • Mushrooms
  • 1 Carrot
  • 2 t Tomato Paste
  • Fresh Basil
  • Oregano
  • Creole Seasoning
  • Garlic
  • Garlic Salt
  • S&P

I started with the carrot and a little evoo on the stovetop. Once the carrot was soft I added the rest of the veggies and seasonings and covered the dish to let the flavors blend for 5 minutes. Once the 5 minutes were up I added the shrimp and cooked until they turned pink.

This quickly thrown together recipe made 2 servings. I saved one serving for another day and had the other tonight over a bed of brown rice.

The seasonings were spot on for my gumbo. Yum!

Unlike last night, I was really craving Ice Cream for dessert.

I filled the bowl with fresh kiwi, then topped with Edy’s Honey Tart Yogurt, more kiwi and a couple TJ’s PB Cups.

This afternoon I had a Lemon Poppy Heart Thrive Cookie.

It’s almost 8:00 and I am done for the night. I think some quality time with a good book, curled up on my bed may be in order. 😉

1 Brie (The Fit Bride) September 22, 2009 at 8:10 pm

Mmm, those lemon poppyseed cookies look really good! I always wish I could have gumbo, but my shellfish allergy wouldn’t like it too much.

2 Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) September 22, 2009 at 8:21 pm

Oh thank goodness I’m not the only 20-something who can’t make it through Gossip Girl without falling asleep! I am fully in the Tuesday post-work tv watching camp. Totally worth being a day behind…!

3 MelissaNibbles September 22, 2009 at 8:33 pm

I do the same thing. I’m always a day behind. I have to avoid people at work on Mondays so I don’t hear what happened on Mad Men the night before. I run out of the room if they talk about it!

4 Danielle September 22, 2009 at 8:40 pm

I agree with you, I’m so thankful for my Tivo! Have a great night 🙂

5 Evan Thomas September 22, 2009 at 8:41 pm

I DVR everything, especially my Conan

6 angieinatlanta September 22, 2009 at 8:41 pm

I’m a DVR queen as well! And sometimes I’m not even just a day behind; I typically spend Sunday afternoons sprawled on my couch catching up on a week’s worth of shows – it’s pretty glorious!

Your gumbo looks great! I love shrimp; I think it’s my favorite protein source

7 foodieinthecity September 22, 2009 at 8:46 pm

I am a total grandma too. If I lay down anywhere and start to watch tv or a movie after the 9 pm hour, I will be out cold in less than 30 minutes. I always get made fun of for being a ‘grandma’ as well, but I think we are pretty cool 🙂

Edy’s is my favorite store bought ice cream brand. Their ‘light’ ice cream doesn’t taste light at all.

Have a great evening!

8 Kathleen September 22, 2009 at 9:15 pm

Haha, I’m a total grandma too- AND I’m still in college! That gumbo looks amazing 🙂

9 Paige @ Running Around Normal September 22, 2009 at 9:25 pm

I’m a huge DVR’r too. I was thinking earlier that I don’t know why I get so excited for Monday night TV, when I don’t watch it til Tuesday night, LOL

10 Spotty Prep September 22, 2009 at 9:32 pm

I LOVE gumbo!! It looks delicious!

11 Matt September 22, 2009 at 9:33 pm

Lol I go to bed early too. Not at 8, but I am an early bird! I guess it makes sense since I wake up at 5.

12 Laura September 22, 2009 at 9:41 pm

DVR = One of the best inventions EVER! 🙂

Going to bed early with a book sounds like a nice night to me!

13 Lizzy September 22, 2009 at 9:47 pm

i am 2 weeks behind on greek! i can’t wait to see them

14 greensandjeans September 22, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Just wanted to say that I made your Pumpkin Chili tonight (subbing butternut squash for pumpkin and quinoa for bulgur) and holy moly was it delicious! Thanks for the inspiration!

15 Jenna September 22, 2009 at 10:03 pm

yummy shrimp gumbo!
jenna

16 Rosey Rebecca September 22, 2009 at 10:36 pm

I wish I had DVR. It would make my life ten times easier. Not that watching tv is so stressful 🙂

17 Leianna September 22, 2009 at 10:48 pm

I need a DVR, working nights I’ve missed every show I love to watch!
Great gumbo recipes!

18 WholeBodyLove September 22, 2009 at 10:54 pm

I’ve never seen Edy’s Honey Tart Yogurt. I am a sucker for tart yogurt! Where did you find it?

19 Jon September 22, 2009 at 11:14 pm

Just wanted to say that I have enjoyed your blog for some time now and have since started my own food project! Perhaps you might check it out sometime?

…and I’m in the “wish I had DVR” side of the conversation.

20 anutritionisteats September 22, 2009 at 11:25 pm

Yum! I was just in New Orleans and learned how to cook some Southern food! I’m so excited to make some of it!

21 broccolihut September 23, 2009 at 12:01 am

Yummy! I love me some gumbo–I need to get some okra, ASAP!

22 Julia September 23, 2009 at 12:29 am

Yummy Gumbo! I really need to try those Lemon Poppyseed Heart Thrives…I’m got some chocolate ones in the cabinet that I’m super excited to try!

23 Laura September 23, 2009 at 12:43 am

Delicious and nutritious!

~Laura
Backstage Pass to Health & Happiness
LauraMKE.blogspot.com

24 talesfromtwocities September 23, 2009 at 6:10 am

I work super early now so I often go to bed at 8:30 – you are not alone!

25 MarathonVal September 23, 2009 at 7:41 am

I’m the same way… I have to be at work soooo early in the morning, and sleep just takes priority!!

But then I feel overwhelmed when my DVR box starts filling up and my Google Reader gets to be 200+ and I feel like I will never have time to catch up on everything 😉

26 inmytummy September 23, 2009 at 8:25 am

I’m always impressed at how you base your dinners off recipes and throw together something that looks amazing!

27 Christy September 23, 2009 at 8:41 am

I have to do the same thing with TV since we go to sleep at 9pm. So we are always a day behind and have to try and avoid finding out what happens on our shows. It’s hard though on Facebook when people talk about everything!

28 CJ September 23, 2009 at 8:48 am

I watched a show last night on making New Orlean’s Gumbo and they talked about the ‘holy trinity’ being onions, green peppers and celery…and you managed without any of them haha

I’m the same way…I have to be asleep by 10 so no starting those 9pm shows for me…I’m constantly avoiding twitter, blogs and friends so I don’t find out who was voted off biggest loser the night before!

– CJ

29 Meghann September 23, 2009 at 8:55 am

HA!

The funny thing is I don’t like Green Peppers or Celery. I do love onions, but am currently out in my kitchen 🙂

30 Lauren September 23, 2009 at 11:44 am

That gumbo recipe looks great! I’ll have to try it sometime. And I agree about going to bed early. When you wake up early and work out hard everyday you get exhausted!

31 Courtney F September 23, 2009 at 11:49 am

DVR is the BEST thing ever invented having to do with tv I think. It takes away the “stress” of having to watch every show you want to all at the same time!

32 Monica C. September 23, 2009 at 5:46 pm

I love how you chop your fruit up in cubes – always makes it look yummy!