more ยป" />

My 'Me' Day

by Meghann on September 20, 2009

I love my friends. I love my family. And I love being busy.

However, I decided today needed to be all about me. It’s been a while since I’ve had a whole day to myself and I must admit it felt good to be selfish for once. Plus, I had a lot of housework that has been building up and needed to get done.

After breakfast and blogging the rest of my morning was spent at the local Farmer’s Market.

This was Maddie’s first trip to this particular Farmer’s Market and as always she was a big flirt.

While going from booth to booth I sampled a piece of cupcake, kettle corn and some taboule.

The vegetables were all picture perfect, but I had my eyes specifically set on one veggie in particular.

Okra. ๐Ÿ™‚

I couldn’t wait to bring it home and cook up a fabulous lunch with my new purchase.

Okra Fries… I’ve missed you! ๐Ÿ™‚

What’s better to go with Okra fries then a Lentil Sloppy Joe?

To make my sloppy joe I boiled lentils until they were tender, then drained the water and finished cooking them on the stove top with onion, garlic, kale and my ‘special sauce’ of ketchup, bbq sauce, honey mustard, and spicy mustard.

I had a Mint Green Tea on the side.

I continued the ‘Me Day’ theme with a little shopping at Target and Publix.

Check out this really cute dress I found marked down to $10!

Now I just need somewhere cute to wear it . (*hint *hint)

When I made it back to the apartment I sipped on my left over Smoothie from this morning.

And dug into my new Shape magazine.

I was happy to see a familiar face ๐Ÿ™‚

Go Tina!!!!

FYI: Be on the lookout for the November SELF… there may be another familiar face in that magazine as well. ๐Ÿ˜‰

A little laundry and carpet scrubbing later (grrr….) I had a homemade trail mix of Dark Chocolate Covered Edamame, Kashi H2H, Peanuts, Grapes and Awesome Almonds.

Maddie was getting tired of the One Tree Hill Marathon so I agreed to give her control of the remote.

You’ll never guess what she landed on.

Maddie was really pulling for Hitch but Fox Lake took the prize. ๐Ÿ™‚

I think Maddie is now inspired to start training for a race of her own. Or not. ๐Ÿ™‚

Dinner was a delicious Curry that I randomly threw together.

I started with Onion, Broccoli and Garlic in a pan and cooked until soft. I then added Curried Tempeh, Cherry Tomatoes, ad a few spoonfuls of Brown Rice. I covered with the TJ’s Curry Sauce and cooked until heated through.

I topped the dish off with a few Raisins and Crushed Walnuts.

It could have used a little bit more spice with some red pepper flakes, but besides that this was really good. I actually had this combo in my head for lunch, but then realized the rice took 45 minutes to cook! I didn’t have 45 minutes to wait for lunch, but I was able to plan ahead for dinner to make it work.

For dessert I pulled out this treat from the freezer courtesy of Penny’s Low Fat Desserts.

I smeared a touch of Naturally Nutty Vanilla Almond Butter on top.

Yum.

I plan to end my ‘Me Day’ by judging the gorgeous dresses on the Emmy’s Red Carpet. I love award shows.

Good night!

1 VeggieGirl September 20, 2009 at 8:23 pm

That photo of Maddie watching Animal Planet, with the remote = PRICELESS ๐Ÿ˜€

Awesome “me” day, Meghann – you deserve more!

2 Kath September 20, 2009 at 8:24 pm

Okra fries have changed my life!! We were obvi. having the same cravings today ๐Ÿ™‚

GO TINA!!

3 caitlin September 20, 2009 at 8:35 pm

very cute post!!
yay tina!!

4 Meghann's Dad September 20, 2009 at 8:44 pm

That was very cute !

5 angieinatlanta September 20, 2009 at 8:51 pm

This post is so cute! I love the Maddie watching tv pics!

And between you and Kath today, I think I need to suck it up and try okra fries!

6 Evan Thomas September 20, 2009 at 8:57 pm

Lentil snobby joes are the best lunch ever. I’d make them every day if I had the patience to properly boil them every time.

7 Mica September 20, 2009 at 9:00 pm

Maddie’s choice in television cracks my shit up!

8 Bec September 20, 2009 at 9:03 pm

Mmm I need to make some lentil snobby joes! I definitely relaxed with self magazine today too

9 Lindsay September 20, 2009 at 9:06 pm

Cute dress! Maddie watching TV cracks me up!

10 kayteesays September 20, 2009 at 9:07 pm

‘Me’ days are a definite necessity. And that picture of Maddie is way too cute.

11 inmytummy September 20, 2009 at 9:18 pm

Sounds like a nice day. I just bought that Shape magazine because I heard she was in it. I’m planning on having a nice relaxing read on the couch.

12 foodieinthecity September 20, 2009 at 9:20 pm

What a steal that dress is! I think somebody needs to take you out on a date, *cough* Derek! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Your dessert looks delish, enjoy the Emmy’s!

13 Derek September 20, 2009 at 11:10 pm

I wasn’t sure if the hint hint was towards me….now I know. Just one more work week. ๐Ÿ™‚

14 Matt September 20, 2009 at 9:24 pm

I love having “me” days. I had one today!

15 Gina September 20, 2009 at 9:27 pm

I bought that same dress a few weeks ago! I should have waited until they marked it down, oh well. I wish we had a farmers market that was open on Sunday around here. The two close to me are only open on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays at odd hours, so I’m almost never able to get to them.

16 Meg C. September 20, 2009 at 9:48 pm

haha i totally laughed when I saw the dog race on tv. hilar!

I love those 365 brand teas – I had a really good peach white tea the other day. also, looove the penny’s muffin tops!

17 wholesomefoodie September 20, 2009 at 9:51 pm

I had no idea they had jack russell races like that! Too cute!!!

18 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now September 20, 2009 at 9:56 pm

I saw some GIANT okra at the Super H Market today, and thought it was something you’d probably like to try!

19 Jenna September 20, 2009 at 10:00 pm

i am glad you enjoyed your ME day. i think you should have one once a month ๐Ÿ™‚
omg so are you hinting that YOU are going to be in the health mag?! that would be soo cool!
jenna

20 allijag September 20, 2009 at 10:03 pm

LOL – what a fabulous day!!!! Maddie with the remote actually has me cracking up right now (Mike things I’m crazy!)

LOVE that dress you found! can i pay you to go shopping for me? you always find such great deals – AND on super cute stuff!

21 Emily September 20, 2009 at 10:07 pm

I’ve been weirdly craving okra lately but I can’t find any fresh stuff around! I’ve got produce envy.

Maddie looks so pleased with herself in that photo with the remote ๐Ÿ™‚

22 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) September 20, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Love your me day! (I will say, “me days” are a lot easier when you don’t live with someone!).

I am SO glad I got to see you last night, you were as sweet and adorable as always. ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m REALLY trying to convince the in-laws that we need to celebrate my father-in-law’s birthday (Nov. 5th) the weekend of Nov. 20th…no other reason besides then I’d have some GREAT company to go see New Moon with. ๐Ÿ˜€

23 Lizzy September 20, 2009 at 10:08 pm

okra from the farmers market looks awesome! ๐Ÿ™‚ glad you found it!

um and i’m so excited for another familiar face in the magazine! ๐Ÿ™‚

24 Julia September 20, 2009 at 10:13 pm

What a fun “me” day. I wish I had a little puppy to keep me company in my apartment!
Have a great week!

25 Lauren September 20, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Gosh…everything you eat looks SO good. I hope you enjoyed your ‘me’ day…everyone needs those! I love the dress you bought! I haven’t seen anything that cute at my local Target.

26 Julie September 20, 2009 at 10:30 pm

that picture of Maddie with the remote is adorable!! Glad you enjoyed your “me” day!

27 Rosey Rebecca September 20, 2009 at 10:32 pm

OMG Maddie is adorable! I love taking ‘me’ days. I love living with my boyfriend but sometimes I like having the night to myself.

28 Nicci@NiftyEats September 20, 2009 at 11:04 pm

Maddie is just too darn cute. It’s always nice to have a day to yourself, I did the same too. Love the new dress, the one store I didn’t go too today.lol

29 a September 20, 2009 at 11:12 pm

I bet we will see Caitlin in Self magazine next month!

30 broccolihut September 21, 2009 at 1:19 am

Meghann, I know I’ve told you this before, but I just LOVE seeing pictures of Maddie. I am away at school right now, and seeing Maddie makes me smile and think about my JRT (Fred). Thanks:)

31 WholeBodyLove September 21, 2009 at 2:07 am

You’re such a good dog Mom. Maddie is a Cutie Pie!

32 Amy September 21, 2009 at 6:59 am

Ooh la la, I think I might subscribe to Shape after seeing some bloggers in there!

I am so intrigued by your love of okra. I remember hating it the few times I’ve tried it….maybe preparing them as fries would be different?? I’ll think about it!

33 Morgan (lifeafterbagels) September 21, 2009 at 7:22 am

It looks like you had a wonderful ME day. It’s not always the most fun for me to work weekends, however it leaves a lot of ME time during the week. Usually I do homework and go to the gym, but sometimes I just watch Legally Blond and Y and R

34 melissa September 21, 2009 at 11:18 am

love the dress!

35 RunToTheFinish September 21, 2009 at 2:45 pm

yum your sloppy joe lentils rock! I need to make that for sure.

i have never tried okra…ever what is it like?

so i’m thinking I will have to make a trip to orlando to run with everyone. Is there a race this winter you are doing?

36 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) September 21, 2009 at 10:31 pm

I’m glad you took a day just for you!

Thanks for the Lentil sloppy joe idea…I have about half a bag leftover and I was wondering what to do with them besides the obvious soup.

I’ve never tired okra either, I think you have inspired me.