A Sunday 12 Miler

by Meghann on September 20, 2009

Good morning!

How is your Sunday going? Mine has been great, starting with a 12 mile run. πŸ™‚

The original plan was to meet both Caitlin and Megan for an early Sunday morning but run, but on the drive over I got a call from Megan that Caitlin wasn’t answering her phone. Turns out she had set her alarm for PM and accidentally slept in.

It was no big deal. πŸ™‚ Thought we missed Caitlin, the run still went on.

Before I left my apartment I had fueled up with a Pita stuffed with Barney Butter and Dark Chocolate Chips.

Yum! Loved this pre-run combo.

I met Megan and we took off. We held a nice and easy pace and spent the whole time talking. I’m telling you, there is no better way to get to know someone then doing a long with them.

Around mile 6 I popped some Sport Beans in my mouth.

Towards the end of the run the sun was in full force and Megan and I were dying in the heat. The last 2 miles were our fastest, simply because we were done with the sun.

We did finish in just over 2 hours and I raced home to get some food in me.

I think my favorite post run fuel has to be a protein smoothie.

I received this sample pack of Berry Vega Protein Shake mix at the Healthy Living Summit and this was my first time trying it.

I added a package to the blender with a frozen fruit mix, ice, soy milk and kale.

Yum! This was pretty good.

I had some extra that didn’t fit in my cup that I plan on enjoying later in the day.

Last night I stopped at Whole Foods on the way home to pick up a Pumpkin Cheesecake Muffin as my after run treat.

I had 1/2 the muffin with my smoothie.

The rest of the day is all about me and I plan to enjoy every minute of it. I have big plans to shop, clean and read. Love it.

Have a great Sunday!

P.S. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MELISSA!!!!

1 Molly September 20, 2009 at 10:41 am

That’s it, Im going to Whole Foods right now to get one of those muffins. It looks INCREDIBLE!
Glad you had a good long run this morning πŸ™‚ I’d be sprinting to get out of the heat too.
Happy Sunday!

2 Jenna September 20, 2009 at 10:50 am

good job on the run this morning!
the muffin looks great πŸ™‚
jenna

3 hopefulrunner September 20, 2009 at 10:54 am

Good job on the long run! Aren’t they the best!? I’m training for a marathon right now as well, and did my first 14 mile run yesterday. I think one of my fav parts about the long run is coming home and being able to veg and just do whatever you want for the rest of the day. In my case I just laid around, read, and let my legs rest.
Have an awesome Sunday!!
Dayna

4 Kristen September 20, 2009 at 10:56 am

Congrats on the run! You certainly deserve a yummy muffin and a day all to yourself. πŸ™‚

5 Ada September 20, 2009 at 11:01 am

Great job on the run! That post run muffin looks heavenly, love the glob of cheese in the middle!

6 Nicci@NiftyEats September 20, 2009 at 11:16 am

That’s a yummy looking muffin. Great run for a Sunday.

7 Angela (Run Study Eat) September 20, 2009 at 11:26 am

OMG! Now all I can think about is a pumpkin cheesecake muffin! I must find one! I must bake one!

8 ksgoodeats September 20, 2009 at 11:34 am

That is the best pre/post run combo I’ve seen! YUM! Congrats on your awesome run πŸ™‚

9 Julia September 20, 2009 at 11:39 am

Great run! and the pumpkin cheesecake muffin looks amazing and delicious!

10 anna September 20, 2009 at 11:58 am

Congrats on your run meghann! You make it look so easy and fun to run 12 miles, but I know it’s not that easy πŸ™‚

I can’t even run 1 minute YES I’m not kidding you, people said that I run in a funny way and I’m self conscious about it, I don’t know how to start .

The other negative thing it’s the weather! I live in the Mexican desert and sometimes it’s 104Β°F or 105Β°F and it’s really hot and sunny πŸ™

I know my post it’s to loo long LOL but my other question it’s did you put sugar,honey,splenda to your smoothie?

11 Meghann September 20, 2009 at 12:33 pm

I never add any sweetener to my smoothies. I always find that the natural sugars in the fruit does the job for me. πŸ™‚

12 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) September 20, 2009 at 12:05 pm

ongrats on the run! I haven’t done anything longer than about 3 miles in a while – I’m working on it, though πŸ™‚

13 Graze With Me September 20, 2009 at 12:19 pm

That muffin looks amazing. It would be hard for me to just stick with half of it!

Congrats on the run, 2 hours is incredible!

14 Rosey Rebecca September 20, 2009 at 12:30 pm

That muffin looks great! Have fun shopping!

15 foodieinthecity September 20, 2009 at 12:37 pm

Awesome run. I love days to myself with nothing planned, enjoy! πŸ™‚

That muffin looks so dang good. It looks dense, which I love in a muffin, pack in the flavor !

16 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now September 20, 2009 at 12:45 pm

I wanna go to WF just to get that muffin! It looks delicious.

17 Susan September 20, 2009 at 12:46 pm

Great job on the run you two! Protein shakes are my fave thing to have after long and intense workouts too. They just satisfy me the most πŸ™‚ I like the Vega stuff too. Oh, and that pumpkin cream cheese muffin looks diiviiiine.

18 Chloe September 20, 2009 at 1:01 pm

Congrats on 12 miles – that is AWESOME and I am always impressed with how far you girlies can run and then just carry on with your day.

Sounds like a good Sunday plan to me, I might just have to do a “me” day as well!

19 Alison September 20, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Great run!

How long before your exercise do you like to eat?

20 Meghann September 20, 2009 at 1:23 pm

It depends. I usually eat my snack as I’m getting ready so it could be 10 minutes or 40. THis morning it was 40 because that’s how long it took me to get toour meeting spot πŸ™‚

21 Food Makes Fun Fuel September 20, 2009 at 1:12 pm

That muffin has my drooling. Oh why haven’t I found it before?

22 Kristine September 20, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Congrats on your run! If you aren’t going to eat that other half of the muffin, feel free to send it my way! πŸ™‚ Hehehe

23 Matt September 20, 2009 at 2:02 pm

I am drooling over that muffin. I was just at Whole Foods and I wish I had looked for them!

24 healthy ashley September 20, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Nice job with the run!

I’m going to try a smoothie after my next long run. The pumpkin muffin looks amazing. WF does a great job with their baked goods.

Enjoy your day!

25 angieinatlanta September 20, 2009 at 3:12 pm

My mouth filled with saliva when I saw the muffin. That is all.

26 Sarah September 20, 2009 at 3:36 pm

congrats on a good, sunny run! that muffin looks to die for.

27 Laura September 20, 2009 at 4:13 pm

That muffin looks delicious! I love the pumpkin + cream cheese flavor combination.

~Laura
Backstage Pass to Health & Happiness
LauraMKE.blogspot.com

28 Tay September 20, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Congrats on the run!! Thank the sun for your speedy miles πŸ˜‰
I’ll have to pick up that muffin next time I’m home near a Whole Foods – sounds like an amazing combo!!

29 cookinfanatic September 20, 2009 at 5:14 pm

Ummmm they make muffins with cheesecake filling in them? Hello, where has thing been all my life! I gotta check this out at WF asap πŸ™‚

30 Lauren September 20, 2009 at 6:12 pm

Hey! I’m new to the blogging world and just discovered your blog last night and I love it! Your food posts are awesome and your running posts are so inspiring. I’m a beginning runner and hope I can kick as much butt as you do some day soon!

Looking forward to hearing more from your blog!

Lauren

31 Morgan (lifeafterbagels) September 20, 2009 at 6:20 pm

Sounds like a good mix of a fun and productive day, aren’t those the best!

32 Jessica September 20, 2009 at 6:54 pm

THat pumpkin cheesecake muffin looks so good…I just want to eat the filling!

33 Mica September 20, 2009 at 6:55 pm

Great long run! I agree, running buddies really do make things so much better.

34 traveleatlove September 20, 2009 at 8:06 pm

Delish looking muffin!Isn’t the day the best once you do a long run? I love the eating, resting, and feeling great about it!

35 jojo September 20, 2009 at 9:46 pm

I love lemon lime sports beans! Never leave home without them!!!

36 eatolive September 21, 2009 at 11:36 am

that muffin looks like heaven.

37 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) September 22, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Awesome run and snacks, love it πŸ™‚ I’ve been seeing the Vega stuff on the blogs, I might have to check it out.